HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Blackhawks-Best Defense in the NHL!!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=94490)

Behn Wilson 07-29-2004 02:58 PM

Blackhawks-Best Defense in the NHL!!!

Things were looking somewhat bright in Hawkland. With quality (though not great) additions in Cullimore, Brown and Barnaby and management saying it was going to add top level players once the CBA situation worked itself out their actually seemed a glimmer of hope for the first time in a long while.

Now the Cullimore signing was just negated by the Hawks filling out their defense by re-signing certified NHL slug journeymen Steve Poapst and Stephan Robidas both players who give it their all but have AHL level bodies/talents. ANd both are Sutter favorites and will be overplayed at the expense of our young players

Aaarrghhhhh!!!!

Ajacied 07-29-2004 02:59 PM

Stephane Robidas is solid.. I wouldn't mind him back at all..

Bileur 07-29-2004 03:04 PM

Nice title :shakehead , but seriousely their acquisitions were very solid.

Behn Wilson 07-29-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
Stephane Robidas is solid.. I wouldn't mind him back at all..

Like I said he plays with heart but thats it. He has NO offensive skills. He is too small and regularly gets pancaked. He tries to play physical but doesnt have the size to be effective at it and is undersized and cant clear the crease. he skate well but thats about it.

You want him back you can have him.

Ice Cream Man 07-29-2004 03:09 PM

What are you talking about? Burke Henry left the team. Now the Blackhawks are doomed!

That team needs some veteran leadership. I know! Sign Igor Korolev to a multi-year deal and name him captain, and trade for Alexander Karpovstev to re-inforce the porous blueline.

lol, on side note.... Luongo must be scared with the signing of Karpovstev. As if he didn't have enough shots already going his way, now he has to worry about Krappy scoring on him as well!

Bileur 07-29-2004 03:21 PM

I remeber when Robidas played in MTL he was the victim in like 10 hits on Cherrys Rockem sockem lucky 13 he would always jump and get totally smoked into the boards

Behn Wilson 07-29-2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bileur
I remeber when Robidas played in MTL he was the victim in like 10 hits on Cherrys Rockem sockem lucky 13 he would always jump and get totally smoked into the boards

He regularly gets flattened behind the net. He gets right back up and you admire his guts but he is too small. Ununless he is exceptional or above area in some area to compensate for his lack of stature I just dont see what he brings to the table as a top 6 NHL dman myself.

Teemu 07-29-2004 03:57 PM

God forbid the Hawks actually let a rookie play. Terrible signing by the Hawks, back to usual.

Ah, Bryan Berard. We hardly knew ye.

MotownMadman 07-29-2004 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Behn Wilson
Things were looking somewhat bright in Hawkland. With quality (though not great) additions in Cullimore, Brown and Barnaby and management saying it was going to add top level players once the CBA situation worked itself out their actually seemed a glimmer of hope for the first time in a long while.

Now the Cullimore signing was just negated by the Hawks filling out their defense by re-signing certified NHL slug journeymen Steve Poapst and Stephan Robidas both players who give it their all but have AHL level bodies/talents. ANd both are Sutter favorites and will be overplayed at the expense of our young players

Aaarrghhhhh!!!!

I don't mean to be an idiot, but did the Hawks let Cullimore go or is that Poapst and Robidas will suck up all the time he should be getting?

Behn Wilson 07-29-2004 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotownMadman
I don't mean to be an idiot, but did the Hawks let Cullimore go or is that Poapst and Robidas will suck up all the time he should be getting?

Cullimore is pretty much our top dman. Our top 7 now will be Cullimore, Berard, McCarthy, Vandermeer, Robidas, Babchuk, & Poapst. Sutter loves vets. What they will do is take away time from the young players included above and block a spot from any rookies like barinka if they impress in training camp.

And it appears with this many under pro contracts that they are done with free agents on D.

Reaper45 07-29-2004 09:35 PM

Quote:

And it appears with this many under pro contracts that they are done with free agents on D.

Unless some of those vets get dealt...

Jakethesnake 07-29-2004 10:02 PM

hey Poapst isnt a bad player IMO. As long as he isnt asked to do more than he should - as in top 3 minutes- hes a pretty effective player

MS 07-29-2004 10:52 PM

Didn't Hawk fans learn anything from the way the team rushed and ruined guys like McCarthy and Royer? Handing unproven rookies free roster spots is stupidity ... especially to guys like Barinka who are barely 20 and have about 40 pro games under their belt.

If Chicago's young players impress in training camp, I'm sure guys like Robidas will be waived. But if the young guys struggle and need to go back to the AHL, it's a hell of a lot harder to fill out your defensive depth in October than it is in August. Signing guys like Poapst and Robidas is only prudent.

Of all the teams/fans in the league to complain about giving chances to young players, I think Chicago should be the last. How many rookies were on that team last year? I think there were 6 or 7 some nights, and in the last 5 or 6 years Chicago has probably been more guilty than any other NHL team of rushing its younger players to the NHL too quickly.

Teemu 07-29-2004 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS
Didn't Hawk fans learn anything from the way the team rushed and ruined guys like McCarthy and Royer?

Oh, WE learned....

Coyotes_Crusader 07-30-2004 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS
Didn't Hawk fans learn anything from the way the team rushed and ruined guys like McCarthy and Royer?

I dont think McCarthy is ruined yet....but im prolly mistaken

membleypeg 07-30-2004 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS
Didn't Hawk fans learn anything from the way the team rushed and ruined guys like McCarthy and Royer? Handing unproven rookies free roster spots is stupidity ... especially to guys like Barinka who are barely 20 and have about 40 pro games under their belt.

Steve McCarthy is far from ruined. He has progressed into a top 4 defenceman, even after battling shoulder injuries the last few years. Steve can skate, shoot, and pass with the top tier of defence in the league. You may feel that McCarthy has regressed, as he has not put up the offensive numbers however remember, he has strived to play defense first as Coach Sutter has demanded.

salty justice 07-31-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
hey Poapst isnt a bad player IMO. As long as he isnt asked to do more than he should - as in top 3 minutes- hes a pretty effective player

Poapst led the Hawks in ice time for both of the last two seasons!! :banghead:

I dont blame him, he is a decent #6 or 7 guy, but Brian Sputter is a retard.

Behn Wilson 07-31-2004 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theBob
Poapst led the Hawks in ice time for both of the last two seasons!! :banghead:

I dont blame him, he is a decent #6 or 7 guy, but Brian Sputter is a retard.

NO, Poapst is not a decent #6 and yes Brian Sutter is a retard.

King of Calgary 08-01-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Aaarrghhhhh!!!!

Talk about slugs: Behn Wilson biggest slug of all-time! And you are his number #1 fan?

Behn Wilson 08-02-2004 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of Calgary
Talk about slugs: Behn Wilson biggest slug of all-time! And you are his number #1 fan?

He was one tough SOB thats for sure.

Gibsons Finest 08-02-2004 02:05 AM

Quote:

NO, Poapst is not a decent #6 and yes Brian Sutter is a retard.

Are you saying Poapst is a decent 7th guy at best? I'd want him as my 6th or even 5th guy any day of the week.

MotownMadman 08-02-2004 09:43 AM

Quote:

Cullimore is pretty much our top dman. Our top 7 now will be Cullimore, Berard, McCarthy, Vandermeer, Robidas, Babchuk, & Poapst. Sutter loves vets. What they will do is take away time from the young players included above and block a spot from any rookies like barinka if they impress in training camp.

That's got to be frustrating. I'm pissed that the Wings don't give their young guys too much of a chance to develop via ice time, but the Hawks are Loaded with youngsters. I feel for ya.

Behn Wilson 08-02-2004 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
Are you saying Poapst is a decent 7th guy at best? I'd want him as my 6th or even 5th guy any day of the week.

Did you watch him get skated around like a pylon on a regular basis last year. Or try to do battle in the crease but not have the size or strength to do the job. I dont want him on my roster period. He was not that great to beging with and has got even slowere due to age and injuries wearing his body down.

He is a good guy and puts in a good effort but the skill and size just isnt there. Most Hawk fans liked him and a lot were hoping he retired and took an assistant coaching position with Yawney in Norfolk.

If Sutter didnt overplay hi I could see signing him as emergency callup or seventh defenseman but even in that case we would have been better served keeping Strudwick or Aitken who at least provide a physical element.

Wirtz Rulz' 08-02-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu08
God forbid the Hawks actually let a rookie play. Terrible signing by the Hawks, back to usual.

Ah, Bryan Berard. We hardly knew ye.

Excuse me but did not Chicago have the most rookies last year?

If Berard gets to much in arbitration Chicago should dump him, he's one dimensional, good offensively and bad defensivelyand not overly physical.

cassius 08-02-2004 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wirtz Rulz'
Excuse me but did not Chicago have the most rookies last year?

If Berard gets to much in arbitration Chicago should dump him, he's one dimensional, good offensively and bad defensivelyand not overly physical.

I bet the Penguins had more.