HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Will This Be Sean Avery's Last Season As A Ranger? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=945945)

damons 07-07-2011 12:11 PM

Will This Be Sean Avery's Last Season As A Ranger?

What do you guys think? Will this be Sean Avery's last season as a NY Ranger?

wolfgaze 07-07-2011 12:17 PM

Probably....

ogie 07-07-2011 12:20 PM

you mean this was his last season. I honestly do not see where Avery fits in this lineup this year. Prust brings everything that Avery does minus taking stupid penalties.

silverfish 07-07-2011 12:21 PM

He's in a contract year, playing for his NHL life. Under Renney Avery would be on the top line with Gabby and play like he deserved it. Under Torts I never saw where Avery fit in on this team.

Still, he deserves a shot at that top line LW spot and I think he could grab it.

EDIT - I believe Spector pointed out today that Avery's 6 assists to Gaborik last season were the most of anyone on the squad.

20 total even strength assists last season tied him for fourth on the Rangers in that category.

bernmeister 07-07-2011 12:23 PM

Avery might start but may well not finish on this year's roster...

Lion Hound 07-07-2011 12:25 PM

I am pretty sure he wants to stay in NY, so contract year and all...I could see him accepting less to stick around some. If not...maybe back to LA?

Hellion 07-07-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion Hound (Post 34772989)
I am pretty sure he wants to stay in NY, so contract year and all...I could see him accepting less to stick around some. If not...maybe back to LA?

Or perhaps the Islanders would want our sloppy seconds?

:naughty:

wolfgaze 07-07-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfish (Post 34772835)
He's in a contract year, playing for his NHL life. Under Renney Avery would be on the top line with Gabby and play like he deserved it. Under Torts I never saw where Avery fit in on this team.

Still, he deserves a shot at that top line LW spot and I think he could grab it.

EDIT - I believe Spector pointed out today that Avery's 6 assists to Gaborik last season were the most of anyone on the squad.

20 total even strength assists last season tied him for fourth on the Rangers in that category.

Gross had a good blog update from yesterday. Feds played on a line with Richards in TB at times. If anyone should play on the first line aside from the typical candidates, I'd like to see Feds in that role. Would allow Rupp - Boyle - Prust to play together as the 4th line. Avery maybe would slot somewhere on the 3rd line... Feds would bring more defensive responsibility to that line and he would also stay onside more often too.

we want cup 07-07-2011 12:41 PM

I wouldn't be shocked if he retired.

Florida Ranger 07-07-2011 12:45 PM

This is his last year in the Rangers organization.

I can't see the Rangers dumping him in a trade.

He'll either be scratched for about half the games or eventually demoted. There's barely any room for him as it is.

nyrleetch 07-07-2011 12:45 PM

He will score the winning goal in the stanley cup and retire!

BobMarleyNYR 07-07-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by we want cup (Post 34773807)
I wouldn't be shocked if he retired.

I would be, very much.

Unless he accepts a cut of 1M, yes his stay in NY is over... and his NHL career is on hiatus, if not over, for at least a season.

Clowes Line 07-07-2011 12:46 PM

I think we all know that Alexandre Burrows is not a first line player but we all saw how well he succeeded and complimented The Sedins on the top line. I think Avery can do the same thing with Richards and Gaborik, for 2 reasons. He has great chemistry with Gabby and is really good friends with Richards. Wouldn't mind seeing Avery up there, the energy he brings is awesome!

That said, I'd love to give Avery a shot at top line and if it works out well, re-sign him. If not, let him go. But I really want to see Avery-Richards-Gaborik

wolfgaze 07-07-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident (Post 34774015)
I think we all know that Alexandre Burrows is not a first line player but we all saw how well he succeeded and complimented The Sedins on the top line. I think Avery can do the same thing with Richards and Gaborik, for 2 reasons. He has great chemistry with Gabby and is really good friends with Richards. Wouldn't mind seeing Avery up there, the energy he brings is awesome!

That said, I'd love to give Avery a shot at top line and if it works out well, re-sign him. If not, let him go. But I really want to see Avery-Richards-Gaborik

I don't know if I would label it great chemistry. They had a small handful of good games together and then more games where they didn't do much of anything... It bothers me that he is so frequently off-sides and gets so many stoppages from shooting the puck into the goaltender's glove from the blueline.... Gaborik is not very good defensively... I can't say much about Richards' defensive game having him been out West the last few years... But Feds is much more defensively responsible then Avery.... Avery has not consistently brought his A-game for awhile now... Not confident he's 1st line fodder for more than a couple games at a time.

Inferno 07-07-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfish (Post 34772835)

Avery DESERVES a shot at that top line spot?

Avery who scored 3 goals and 24 points last season deserves a shot at that spot over guys like..

Dubinsky 24/30/54
or even Fedotenko who played on a line with Brad Richards during their cup winning year, and who still had 10/15/25 in 10 fewer games than Avery while mostly playing on the 4th line.

Clowes Line 07-07-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 34774121)
I don't know if I would label it great chemistry. They had a small handful of good games together and then more games where they didn't do much of anything... It bothers me that he is so frequently off-sides and gets so many stoppages from shooting the puck into the goaltender's glove from the blueline.... Gaborik is not very good defensively... I can't say much about Richards' defensive game having him been out West the last few years... But Feds is much more defensively responsible then Avery.... Avery has not consistently brought his A-game for awhile now... Not confident he's 1st line fodder for more than a couple games at a time.

Avery had 6 assists to Gaborik this year, leading the team in that category. He also had great chemistry with him in 09-10. And the whole spiel about defense, I don't buy into it. With our great defense and Hank in net, I don't think one line, especially a top line that can score a ******** of goals is going to hurt us because they aren't as good on defense as other players.

mike14 07-07-2011 12:52 PM

I wouldn't call going off-side every 2nd shift 'good chemistry'.

I think that Dubi, Feds and WW would play on the top lines above Avery, and if you add in younger players on cheaper contracts, I can't really see where he fits.

In The Flesh 07-07-2011 12:54 PM

I'd like to see Avery on the top line, I don't think Torts will give him much of a shot at it though. I also would like to see Feds there as well.

Clowes Line 07-07-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 34774223)
Avery DESERVES a shot at that top line spot?

Avery who scored 3 goals and 24 points last season deserves a shot at that spot over guys like..

Dubinsky 24/30/54
or even Fedotenko who played on a line with Brad Richards during their cup winning year, and who still had 10/15/25 in 10 fewer games than Avery while mostly playing on the 4th line.

Avery got just over 10 minutes a game on average last season, and a lot of games he had like 4 - 5 minutes of ice time. We all saw what he could do in the playoffs when Torts let him be Avery. Give Avery more time and put him on that 1st line, and it can work

wolfgaze 07-07-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident (Post 34774247)
Avery had 6 assists to Gaborik this year, leading the team in that category. He also had great chemistry with him in 09-10. And the whole spiel about defense, I don't buy into it. With our great defense and Hank in net, I don't think one line, especially a top line that can score a ******** of goals is going to hurt us because they aren't as good on defense as other players.

It's not "great chemistry"... Great chemistry is Boyle/Prust/Feds line... Remember when Avery and Gaborik had that solid game against the Islanders? Well the next 3 games they did squat and Torts broke them up.... Avery is not good defensively, there's no disputing that. How many times did we see him take the puck in the defensive zone, and instead of going forward or chipping it out, he took it backwards and then there was scrambling to get the puck out. There's also the issue of him being off-sides... How many times did we see him off-sides last year? Leaps and bounds more than anybody else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident (Post 34774407)
Avery got just over 10 minutes a game on average last season, and a lot of games he had like 4 - 5 minutes of ice time. We all saw what he could do in the playoffs when Torts let him be Avery. Give Avery more time and put him on that 1st line, and it can work

The issue is that Avery has never been a 1st line player for any team. His shooting percentage has declined drastically over the last 3 seasons... It was at 2-3% last season.... That's not a player you want playing with your best playmaker on your top line...

bettercallstaal 07-07-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrleetch (Post 34773979)
He will score the winning goal in the stanley cup and retire!

This would make a lot of people out there very, very angry lol.

Hellion 07-07-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike14 (Post 34774289)
I wouldn't call going off-side every 2nd shift 'good chemistry'.I think that Dubi, Feds and WW would play on the top lines above Avery, and if you add in younger players on cheaper contracts, I can't really see where he fits.

This.

I find it painful to watch. Either he needs eye surgery, or he simply do not understand that off-side rule.
I think he is a fun player to watch (when he is not in off-side), but I do not want him on this team in the future

egelband 07-07-2011 12:59 PM

I would like to see Avery get a shot to play regularly. He can be pretty useful and even - at times - a 'force'. At his best, I love him on the Rangers. If he fails, so be it. His contract is not a big burden

Inferno 07-07-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 34774465)
It's not "great chemistry"... Great chemistry is Boyle/Prust/Feds line... Remember when Avery and Gaborik had that solid game against the Islanders? Well the next 3 games they did squat and Torts broke them up.... Avery is not good defensively, there's no disputing that. How many times did we see him take the puck in the defensive zone, and instead of going forward or chipping it out, he took it backwards and then there was scrambling to get the puck out. There's also the issue of him being off-sides... How many times did we see him off-sides last year? Leaps and bounds more than anybody else.

The issue is that Avery has never been a 1st line player for any team. His shooting percentage has declined drastically over the last 3 seasons... It was at 2-3% last season.... That's not a player you want playing with your best playmaker on your top line...

what he said.

i dont have a problem with Avery being on the top line every now and again when we need to shake things up. but if Sean Avery is our top line left wing, we should start our draft thread for next season right now.

BroadwayBlues 07-07-2011 01:02 PM

He's done after this year.