HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   MLB BLOCKBUSTERS GALORE: 3 HUGE MLB trades just went down (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=94739)

in the hall 07-30-2004 05:13 PM

MLB BLOCKBUSTERS GALORE: 3 HUGE MLB trades just went down

didn't catch all of it, help fill in the blanks

1. 3 way AZ-LA-FLA
LA: PENNY, CHOI
FLA: MOTA, LODUCA
AZ: ???????/

2. METS - PITT
METS: Benson, 2 prospects
PITT: Wiggy, Peterson,?????

3. METS - TAMPA
METS: ZAMBRANO
TAMPA: ????????

Mr. Lack 07-30-2004 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
didn't catch all of it, help fill in the blanks

1. 3 way AZ-LA-FLA
LA: PENNY, CHOI
FLA: MOTA, LODUCA
AZ: ???????/

2. METS - PITT
METS: Benson, 2 prospects
PITT: Wiggy, Peterson,?????

3. METS - TAMPA
METS: ZAMBRANO
TAMPA: ????????

Source?

in the hall 07-30-2004 05:26 PM

WFAN

Mets are garbage. They traded 4 of their best prospects (3 of which are top 100 in baseball) for Victor freaking Zambrano!

These were the guys the Royals wanted for Beltran, the Rangers wanted for Soriano - but they trade them for Zambrano.

In 10 minutes they went from having one of the best farms in baseball to mediocre.

Barnaby 07-30-2004 05:55 PM

Kazmir went to TB..

xander 07-30-2004 05:55 PM

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

icthelight 07-30-2004 05:59 PM

I am flabergasted......Zambrano has almost a walk per inning and Benson is a number 4 starter...they are both average pitchers to below average :dunno: They traded away one of the best prospects, who is dominating in AA at the age of 20!!!!Oh and don't forget he throws smoke and is lefthanded. Peterson I guess I can live with, Huber was supposed to be our starting catcher of the future and was holding his own in AAA. Diaz is 24 and has no control in AA. This is one the dumbest moves in baseball history :banghead: :banghead:

xander 07-30-2004 06:05 PM

once again:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Big McLargehuge 07-30-2004 06:12 PM

The Zambrano deal was horrid for the Mets. The guy has no control, he just throws it and prays that the batter swings, he's a real-life Wild Thing Vaughn.

The Benson deal on the other hand. Pirates fans are up in arms about it. Statistically Benson is a fourth starter, talent-wise he's one of the best in baseball. A Schmidt-esque turn-around is not only a possibility, but a probability. The Pirates, in return, get a mediocre Wigginton who is on a hot streak, a decent pitching prospect(who is only the fourth best pitcher in Altoona(Pirates AA)), and, via Kansas City, we get Jose Bautista, a guy we lost in the waiver draft.

Oh, and we also gave you Jeff Keppenger, probably our best position prospect.

Amazing how one team can get ***** in one trade and turn around and absolutely fleece another team in another.

Son of Steinbrenner 07-30-2004 07:06 PM

i don't know why the mets would make this deal. its funny the mets have a shot in the nl east but the devil rays AND pirates have very simalar records. This would be like the rangers trading jessiman and montoya and lampman and prucha for a chance to finish 8th in the East. I wonder if the mets would trade zambrano for sorianno? :)

i kid because i love and hey at least your team has made the deadline exciting. Cheer up mets fans this will be at shea shortly

www.annabenson.net

psst hit they photo gallery! :eek: ;)

here is something i never thought i would say

lets go mets:thumbu:

RangerBoy 07-30-2004 07:34 PM

The Kris Benson deal was not a bad deal.The Mets want to sign Benson and he wants to pitch in NY.Benson was on with Michael Kay on Wednesday and pitching in a big city would not be a problem.He also likes the idea of working with Rick Peterson and Tom Glavine since they share the same agent Gregg Clifton.Even if the Mets are not able to re-sign Benson,they will offer him arbitration to get the two draft picks(first round pick plus a sandwich pick)to compensate for the loss of Matt Peterson

Ty Winnington is an overachiever and a role player on a championship team.Justin Huber stopped being a big time prospect two years ago.He regressed.

Peterson was ranked #88 in the Baseball America top 100

The Victor Zambrano deal is a bad deal.He walks way too many batters and likes to pitch inside but he hits many batters.Last week,he hit Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada.Scott Kazmir was his warts.Kazmir was ranked #12 by Baseball America.He is not a big kid and he throws across his body which could lead to arm troubles.Kazmir may best be suited as a closer.He reminds people of Billy Wagner.
The Mets became concerned with attitiude.They should have brought back a better return.In April,Texas was willing to deal Alfonso Soriano in a deal for Kazmir but Fred Coupon said he was untouchable.

Classic Devil 07-30-2004 08:21 PM

My Mets, my Mets... what have you done?

:cry:

Ty Wigginton... I'm going to miss you. I can accept that trade, however.
But...
Zambrano for Kazmir? My Mets... you might kill me. Kill me!

I'm going to go cry in the corner, excuse me.

in the hall 07-30-2004 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Kris Benson deal was not a bad deal.The Mets want to sign Benson and he wants to pitch in NY.Benson was on with Michael Kay on Wednesday and pitching in a big city would not be a problem.He also likes the idea of working with Rick Peterson and Tom Glavine since they share the same agent Gregg Clifton.Even if the Mets are not able to re-sign Benson,they will offer him arbitration to get the two draft picks(first round pick plus a sandwich pick)to compensate for the loss of Matt Peterson

Ty Winnington is an overachiever and a role player on a championship team.Justin Huber stopped being a big time prospect two years ago.He regressed.

Peterson was ranked #88 in the Baseball America top 100

The Victor Zambrano deal is a bad deal.He walks way too many batters and likes to pitch inside but he hits many batters.Last week,he hit Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada.Scott Kazmir was his warts.Kazmir was ranked #12 by Baseball America.He is not a big kid and he throws across his body which could lead to arm troubles.Kazmir may best be suited as a closer.He reminds people of Billy Wagner.
The Mets became concerned with attitiude.They should have brought back a better return.In April,Texas was willing to deal Alfonso Soriano in a deal for Kazmir but Fred Coupon said he was untouchable.

Ranger Boy, Peterson, Huber and Wiggy for Benson.. I am fine with Wiggy and Peterson but not Huber - this was trash all in all

this is a package that gets Sheets, Zito, Vazquez etc unbelievable just unbelievable

Edge 07-30-2004 10:43 PM

Not to start any fights but that is unfortunatly why the Mets history is as...... frustratingly heartbreaking and disappointing as it is.

Kazmir for a 30 year old pitcher who has never quite been able to put all the pieces together at the level he should.

icthelight 07-30-2004 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
Not to start any fights but that is unfortunatly why the Mets history is as...... frustratingly heartbreaking and disappointing as it is.

Kazmir for a 30 year old pitcher who has never quite been able to put all the pieces together at the level he should.

I dont get it, maybe Rick Peterson has a little bit too much say in the team's decisions. It's so funny, Kazmir would have made his debut most likely next sept., and been that staple in the rotation for years to come :mad: All in favor of the firing of Peterson, say I!!!!

Chief 07-30-2004 11:32 PM

Although the loss of Kazmir has me wondering whether he was really all that he was hyped to be, I'm not all that broken up about either deal. In fact, I kinda like them both. On a staff with 2 starters who are 38 and one other who is 33, the future of the Mets staff, starting right now, just got a whole lot brighter. Both Zambrano and Benson are 29, which is not old at all for a pitcher. Both of these guys could easily be pitching for another 8-10 years and I'm thinking the Mets expect to have them around for a while (Benson has the same agent as Glavine).

Zambrano has a real live arm and the thinking is that Peterson will help him get the most out of it. And before people bash Zambrano too much the guy has a career record of 35 - 27 with the friggin' Devil Rays (9 - 7 this season). Any guy with a winning record on that team has got to be doing something right!

Lowetide 07-30-2004 11:45 PM

What are you complaining about? This is a lot less than they gave up to get Fregosi.

RangersFan 07-31-2004 01:14 AM

words can't express how as a Met fan, how low I feel. The trade may very well pan out well, and solidify our pitching staff in the present and for the next few years. But right now I feel like ****, I feel like every franchise I root for is destined to fail (rangers, mets, giants, knicks), not by bad luck, but by utter stupidity. Maybe they know something about Kazmir that no one else knows, maybe Peterson could turn Zambrano into an ace, maybe Huber wasn't all he was cracked up to be, but as it is right now, there are too many question marks about the 2 pitchers we recieved (control, and injury wise), and the amount of young talent we gave up for them. One could argue that what the mets gave up could have yielded a much bigger prize, after all a player like Soriano was offered straight up before the season for Kazmir...

Edge 07-31-2004 04:49 AM

Complain about the Yankees all you want, but they are successful because they not only have the money, but they know how to use it.

Probably the only franchise in NY that as understood that concept more often that not.

RangerBoy 07-31-2004 08:03 AM

As far as my Yankees are concerned,they have not won a World Series in 45 years under a Republican administration.Vote Kerry/Edwards if you love the Yankees :handclap:

RangerBoy 07-31-2004 08:14 AM

Quote:

Complain about the Yankees all you want, but they are successful because they not only have the money, but they know how to use it.

Probably the only franchise in NY that as understood that concept more often that not.

The Yankees are slipping back to their old habits.They have traded away many prospects and wasted many first round picks.This organization had some good young arms--Ted Lilly,Jake Westbrook,Zach Day--and they traded them away.

Brian Cashman made a tremendous deal with Montreal trading Hideki Irabu to Montreal for Westbrook and Lilly.

Westbrook,Day and Ricky Ledee went to Cleveland for David Justice

Lilly and two other prospects went to Oakland in a three way w/Detroit for Jeff Weaver

drewcon40 07-31-2004 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersFan
(rangers, mets, giants, knicks

RangersFan - Those are exactly my teams as well!! (We are a rare breed that like the NYR, NYG and Mets. Usually it is Rangers/Giants/Yankees!)

Anyway, this reminds me of Sather trading for Bure or Jagr when we are 8-10 points out of a playoff spot. As of Saturday, the Mets are 7 games out of 1st and 7 1/2 from the wildcard. At best, the Mets can get out of this series 5 games out at the begining of August.

vbox81 07-31-2004 10:26 AM

as another G/R/K/M fan, i have to ask when our teams are going to hire good, smart GMs! Up until yesterday Duquette was making all the right, good, smart moves. Now this.

I'm flabbergasted and annoyed.

True Blue 07-31-2004 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Yankees are slipping back to their old habits.They have traded away many prospects and wasted many first round picks.This organization had some good young arms--Ted Lilly,Jake Westbrook,Zach Day--and they traded them away.

If you are going to do that, then you have to show something for it. The 'Yanks do. Every year, they compete for the World Series (not just the playoffs). I am not a fan of trading every bit of prospects away, but if you do, then you had better show something for it.

Edge 07-31-2004 11:11 AM

I agree.

That Justice trade brought a world championship. Can the Yankees do it forever? No, and no one can for that matter.

But as TB said, if you're gonna make moves like that you gotta people able to get a return on the deals.

Love em or hate em, 26 world championships speak for themselves.

in the hall 07-31-2004 01:04 PM

Quote:

I agree.

That Justice trade brought a world championship. Can the Yankees do it forever? No, and no one can for that matter.

But as TB said, if you're gonna make moves like that you gotta people able to get a return on the deals.

Love em or hate em, 26 world championships speak for themselves.

oh wow a heck of a lot those trades did, of course Jeff Weaver and David Justice were integral parts of their championship teams :joker:

no really though, Yankees win not by trading away prospects but using their other resources, they over do it when they trade away all their young guys because it really isn't neccessary