HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Eskin: Drury Backup Plan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=948295)

JohnnyOnTheSpot 07-10-2011 10:55 PM

Eskin: Drury Backup Plan

I don't know if anyone just saw him on NBC10, but he said the Flyers are watching the Stamkos situation, but if it doesn't pan out, we'll go after Drury. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's pretty much useless at this point, correct? Could he be useful for a low hit?

King Forsberg 07-10-2011 10:58 PM

If he's healthy this would be a good move.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 07-10-2011 10:59 PM

Yea, but isn't he not healthy?

Beef Invictus 07-10-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot (Post 34895117)
Yea, but isn't he not healthy?

Correct.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 07-10-2011 11:00 PM

So...I mean I guess he's worth a risk at $1M, any chance he'd take that? Maybe even to stick it to the Rangers for his less than honorary discharge?

King Forsberg 07-10-2011 11:02 PM

What better way to stick it to your former team. Plus play in the Winter Classic against them

Beef Invictus 07-10-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timonen (Post 34895209)
What better way to stick it to your former team. Plus play in the Winter Classic against them

If he's even playing by that point.

azrok22 07-10-2011 11:04 PM

At this point in his career, describing Drury as a "backup plan" to Stamkos would be the equivalent of driving to Tiffany's to buy your girlfriend an engagement ring, with the backup plan of buying a toy ring from the quarter machine outside the mall if Tiffany's is closed.

Slowbro 07-10-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrok22 (Post 34895273)
At this point in his career, describing Drury as a "backup plan" to Stamkos would be the equivalent of driving to Tiffany's to buy your girlfriend an engagement ring, with the backup plan of buying a toy ring from the quarter machine outside the mall if Tiffany's is closed.

not really. obviously drury isn't stamkos. stamkos is a game-changer. drury is veteran leadership down the middle who (probably) still has chemistry with his former teammate. both sound pretty good...

Beef Invictus 07-10-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triqsix (Post 34895385)
not really. obviously drury isn't stamkos. stamkos is a game-changer. drury is veteran leadership down the middle who (probably) still has chemistry with his former teammate. both sound pretty good...

Drury's degenerative knee condition is a bit troubling. "Hell no" to signing him.

Giroux tha Damaja 07-10-2011 11:15 PM

There's a word for the kind of veteran leadership that Drury could bring: "coach". I sure as hell don't wanna see him on the ice.

sobrien 07-10-2011 11:23 PM

Can they make him pass a physical first, or is that only with trades?

JDinkalage Morgoone 07-10-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrok22 (Post 34895273)

This is exactly what I thought and I lold pretty hard at your comment.

captainpaxil 07-10-2011 11:59 PM

hes coming off knea surgery but was healthy enough to be bought out. a two time captain and cup winner who can play wing or center. hes familiar with briere and jagr having played with both of them in previous cities and if he returns anywhere near to form could give you great defensive presence on the third line. think of him as the backup plan to schenn not stamkos. solid veteran and good locker room guy hes still good on the dot just dont aks him to score, and he shouldnt have to on this team. like brier and gomez his cap numbers had people pouring on the hateraid for a few years now but on the cheap could be a quality addition

ShawnTHW 07-11-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobrien (Post 34895797)
Can they make him pass a physical first, or is that only with trades?

If I am not mistaken I think in order to sign a contract, you need to pass a physical.

WeekendAtBernies 07-11-2011 12:12 AM

Drury is a backup plan to Stamkos in the sense that we're done making moves unless we swing something with Stamkos.

If we're done with moves and we have enough cap space available, why would adding Drury to this team on a 1 year deal for $1M be so terrible?

Drury is a proud guy who's getting his payout from the Rangers. If he really was awful, he'd get sent to the minors and he'd likely retire.

If his knee holds up though, he could be an excellent piece for us with leadership, penalty killing, and willing faceoffs.

Worst case, he stinks and gets sent to the minors or retires.

Best case, he stays healthy, puts up 50 points, kills penalties, provides leadership, and wins faceoffs.

I don't see the downside... If this was the 1st day of free agency and people were still out there, it'd be an obvious no. But nobody is left and the Flyers are done unless it involves Stamkos or Drury. And getting Drury doesn't affect our future moves in any way, so why not?

Beef Invictus 07-11-2011 12:15 AM

I don't know, I struggle to see the upside. If he's signed it could very well prove to be about as smart as another team trading for Lappy.

WeekendAtBernies 07-11-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 34896943)
I don't know, I struggle to see the upside. If he's signed it could very well prove to be about as smart as another team trading for Lappy.

Snider is willing to spend unlimited money on this team.

We are under the cap.

You can't carry cap money to the next year

Snider would be willing to have Drury shipped to the minors (and his cap hit erased) if Drury doesn't perform.

So what exactly is the downside?

Drury doesn't affect our ability to make moves now, at the deadline, or next year.

He COULD be an asset

He COULD be a total flop

But even if he's a total flop, it doesn't negatively affect the team.

If my team's owner is willing to spend $1 Million on a guy and it won't affect our team's future dealings at all, and there's a 1 in 1,000 chance the guy could help our team, why would you say no?

If it's my money, I probably say no, but it's not, it's Snider's money. And if Snider is willing to put it out there for Drury, it's fine by me. I know Homer wouldn't say no because it's just another player who could help out.

Ghost of Downie* 07-11-2011 12:21 AM

Chris Drury is our back-up plan to Steven ****ing Stamkos? Dear God.

PALE PWNR 07-11-2011 12:22 AM

I could see us giving him a tryout like we did with Guerin and Berard if he doesn't have a team by then, it would add some pressure on the rookies to fight harder for a spot on the team if there wasn't enough already as worst case scenario, or he could really look like himself in training camp and we could get a really solid 3rd line veteran.

Beef Invictus 07-11-2011 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandlansd (Post 34897023)

We are under the cap.

Snider would be willing to have Drury shipped to the minors (and his cap hit erased) if Drury doesn't perform.

Drury doesn't affect our ability to make moves now, at the deadline, or next year.

He COULD be an asset

He COULD be a total flop

If my team's owner is willing to spend $1 Million on a guy and it won't affect our team's future dealings at all, and there's a 1 in 1,000 chance the guy could help our team, why would you say no?

If it's my money, I probably say no, but it's not, it's Snider's money. And if Snider is willing to put it out there for Drury, it's fine by me. I know Homer wouldn't say no because it's just another player who could help out.

We have zero room with the contract limit. I'd rather not waste a slot on a guy who may never play in the NHL again.

BillDineen 07-11-2011 01:44 AM

I have no problem inviting him to camp as a try-out like betts/berard, just the contract situation is tight. Legein and Rowe might be able to be traded for future considerations or some type of 2 for 1 prospect trade could occur. They will leave room to sign Couturier IMO.

http://www.capgeek.com/reserve_lists...4&year_id=2011

JABEE 07-11-2011 01:45 AM

I'd give him a tryout like Betts or Guerin. I think Shelley would be waived if they brought him in though.

clodejirew 07-11-2011 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandlansd (Post 34897023)

We are under the cap.

He COULD be an asset

He COULD be a total flop

or they COULD just sign somebody who's healthy with that $1M

dbr2 07-11-2011 02:16 AM

I'd take him, but that is a horrible back up plan.