HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Startup hockey in Philadelphia (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=948315)

Krishna 07-10-2011 11:38 PM

Startup hockey in Philadelphia
 
Anyone know where they have beginners leagues in Philly?
I skate about average, still have problems with stopping though, but i still want to play because i love the sport and i need something to keep me from getting fat..

Any tips?

And about how much would all of the gear cost?

Guffaw 07-11-2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs (Post 34896169)
Anyone know where they have beginners leagues in Philly?
I skate about average, still have problems with stopping though, but i still want to play because i love the sport and i need something to keep me from getting fat..

Any tips?

And about how much would all of the gear cost?

Where are you in the Philadelphia area? If I know that I should be able to help.

Krishna 07-11-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 34900105)
Where are you in the Philadelphia area? If I know that I should be able to help.

Northeast Philadelphia.. Mayfair/Wissonoming/Tacony area

McDugan 07-11-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs (Post 34900799)
Northeast Philadelphia.. Mayfair/Wissonoming/Tacony area

Grundy Arena in Bristol Boro (out by Bensalem) has a really great adult clinic run by a great bunch of guys and last year they ran a "C-2" beginnner-level adult league. I couldn't do the league last year but I'm hoping they run it again.

There's also the NE Philly Skate Zone a little closer, they also have a clinic but I've never been.

pelts35.com 07-11-2011 10:10 AM

Wintersport in Willow Grove has a Sunday night adult skills clinic that is run by the Abington High School hockey coach that gets about 20 guys per night, many of which play in the C or C-South league there.

Guffaw 07-11-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 34904087)
Wintersport in Willow Grove has a Sunday night adult skills clinic that is run by the Abington High School hockey coach that gets about 20 guys per night, many of which play in the C or C-South league there.

I may check that out.

I'm in Delco so I play mostly at The Skatium in Havertown, Ice Works in Aston, or Skate Zone in Pennsauken(close to you). Probably not that close to you, but I think Ice Works has a men's Novice League and beginner clinics.

Center Ice in Oaks may be within driving distance for you and they may have something. Maybe Wissahickon too.

AIREAYE 07-11-2011 08:55 PM

Regarding beginner gear, you should PM Jarick (prominent member here) because he has a really good topic about how to start out :)

trtaylor 07-12-2011 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDugan (Post 34903679)
Grundy Arena in Bristol Boro (out by Bensalem) has a really great adult clinic run by a great bunch of guys and last year they ran a "C-2" beginnner-level adult league. I couldn't do the league last year but I'm hoping they run it again.

There's also the NE Philly Skate Zone a little closer, they also have a clinic but I've never been.

Grundy's C-2 league is perfect for a beginner. Good bunch of guys. Not all are beginners. Some are just older, slower guys. There are 6 teams currently.

The summer C-2 league is almost done. One more regular season game this week, then a couple of weeks for playoffs. It will startup again in the fall.

www.grundyarena.com
Adult clinic brochure

pelts35.com 07-12-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 34923143)
I may check that out.

I'm in Delco so I play mostly at The Skatium in Havertown, Ice Works in Aston, or Skate Zone in Pennsauken(close to you). Probably not that close to you, but I think Ice Works has a men's Novice League and beginner clinics.

Center Ice in Oaks may be within driving distance for you and they may have something. Maybe Wissahickon too.

Oaks definitely has something, I just didn't mention it because that would be a hike from NE Philly. They have a "developmental league" that starts with skills for a few weeks and then games. In the spring I walked on to one and there were 2 sessions on a Monday night, both with more than 30 players.

Definitely come by the skills clinic at Wintersport. It's $25 to walkon or $135 if you sign up for all 7 weeks (last week is a scrimmage).

Guffaw 07-12-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 34936249)
Oaks definitely has something, I just didn't mention it because that would be a hike from NE Philly. They have a "developmental league" that starts with skills for a few weeks and then games. In the spring I walked on to one and there were 2 sessions on a Monday night, both with more than 30 players.

Definitely come by the skills clinic at Wintersport. It's $25 to walkon or $135 if you sign up for all 7 weeks (last week is a scrimmage).

I was looking at that. Ok so it's not "learn to play"?

I'm nothing special, but I played club college many moons ago and probably at a B or C level right now since I've only been back at it for a few months. Just making sure I'm gonna get something out of it.

I can skate, shoot, etc. I just want to learn the right way to play out, positioning, tips, etc.. Former goalie here. Just feels like I'm lost out there running around with a chicken with my head cut off.

I'll check out oaks. Thanks

pelts35.com 07-13-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 34967395)
I was looking at that. Ok so it's not "learn to play"?

I'm nothing special, but I played club college many moons ago and probably at a B or C level right now since I've only been back at it for a few months. Just making sure I'm gonna get something out of it.

I can skate, shoot, etc. I just want to learn the right way to play out, positioning, tips, etc.. Former goalie here. Just feels like I'm lost out there running around with a chicken with my head cut off.

I'll check out oaks. Thanks

For someone that played club, then the Developmental league at Oaks is probably beneath your skill level. However I think you would get a lot out of the clinic at Wintersport. There are players who can barely skate to guys who just want to get better.

As a goalie, I'm curious as to why you decided to leave the crease?

Krishna 07-13-2011 10:59 AM

Alright, thanks guys.. Ill check em all out today/tonight

Guffaw 07-13-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 34975127)
For someone that played club, then the Developmental league at Oaks is probably beneath your skill level. However I think you would get a lot out of the clinic at Wintersport. There are players who can barely skate to guys who just want to get better.

As a goalie, I'm curious as to why you decided to leave the crease?

Thanks. I'll check out the Wintersport clinic if there is one in the Fall. I think the Spring/Summer one is almost done and there last 6 are scrimmages. I more interested in instruction.

Goalie? Long story. I was 20 years old with severe patella tendonitis in both knees, cortisone shots, etc. which I attributed mostly to crouching in goal. I got accepted to college and spoke to the coach who told me he was already set with goalies and that the starter had played Junior A in Canada. So I did a 180 and gave playing forward a shot. Camps, finding all the ice I could, off ice, roller, etc. I make the team. 1) Kid that played juniors didn't play again so I would have likely started in net. 2) The tendonitis came back and was due to severely over training.

It's all good. I like skating, scoring goals, and back then hittting. Plus unless the game is really good it's a better workout. I was taught to stand up, angles, kick saves, T-glide, shuffle, etc. I wouldn't know what to do now with all this butterfly this and that anyway:)

Guffaw 07-13-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs (Post 34896169)
Anyone know where they have beginners leagues in Philly?
I skate about average, still have problems with stopping though, but i still want to play because i love the sport and i need something to keep me from getting fat..

Any tips?

And about how much would all of the gear cost?

As for gear look for closeouts/clearance on the big retailer internet sites. It may be last years model or an unpopular color, but often times it's 1/2 price.

Ebay as well. You'll get some stuff used once or twice that looks new for 30-50% off retail.

pelts35.com 07-14-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 34997589)
Thanks. I'll check out the Wintersport clinic if there is one in the Fall. I think the Spring/Summer one is almost done and there last 6 are scrimmages. I more interested in instruction.

Goalie? Long story. I was 20 years old with severe patella tendonitis in both knees, cortisone shots, etc. which I attributed mostly to crouching in goal. I got accepted to college and spoke to the coach who told me he was already set with goalies and that the starter had played Junior A in Canada. So I did a 180 and gave playing forward a shot. Camps, finding all the ice I could, off ice, roller, etc. I make the team. 1) Kid that played juniors didn't play again so I would have likely started in net. 2) The tendonitis came back and was due to severely over training.

It's all good. I like skating, scoring goals, and back then hittting. Plus unless the game is really good it's a better workout. I was taught to stand up, angles, kick saves, T-glide, shuffle, etc. I wouldn't know what to do now with all this butterfly this and that anyway:)

The summer clinic begins this Sunday (17th) and the schedule is

Week 1 : Skating
Week 2: Skating & Stickhandling
Week 3: Skating, STH & Passing
Week 4 & 5: Skating, STH, Passing & Shooting
Week 6: Angling & Positioning
Week 7: Scrimmage

The first week is definitely the hardest as it's pretty much skating the entire time with virtually no passing or shooting.

Guffaw 07-15-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 35011715)
The summer clinic begins this Sunday (17th) and the schedule is

Week 1 : Skating
Week 2: Skating & Stickhandling
Week 3: Skating, STH & Passing
Week 4 & 5: Skating, STH, Passing & Shooting
Week 6: Angling & Positioning
Week 7: Scrimmage

The first week is definitely the hardest as it's pretty much skating the entire time with virtually no passing or shooting.

Thanks. Shoot, my pickup game is Sunday nights. I'm not sure I wanna miss that. I'll keep checking


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.