HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Speculation: Divisions Realignment - Jets & Wild out? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=949209)

Drij 07-12-2011 01:44 PM

Divisions Realignment - Jets & Wild out?
 
REPORT: JETS HEADED TO CENTRAL DIVISION IN 2012

Quote:

It appears the Winnipeg Jets may be playing in the Central Division of the Wesern Conference after next season.

According to the Grand Rapids Press, Minnesota Wild owner Craig Leipold said as much on Monday, telling Minneapolis radion station, KFAN that the Wild would be playing in the Central Division against the Jets, Chicago Blackhawks, Nashville Predators, Dallas Stars and possibly the Columbus Blue Jackets. He made no mention of the Detroit Red Wings, which is the team most likely to move the Eastern Conference to accomodate the Jets' move.

The NHL Board of Governors are scheduled to meet in December to resume talks of realignment. The Jets will play in the Southeast Division of the Eastern Conference this season, joining the Washington Capitals, Tampa Bay Lightning, Carolina Hurricanes and Florida Panthers.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371566

He also didn't mention St.Louis at all.

foppagirl21 07-12-2011 01:48 PM

Hmmmm, they could, you know, just move Minny to Central, Nashville to SE, and Winnipeg to NW...

...it would be way less confusing this way...

Wait, what?? I just re-read the quote and this is what I am getting out of it:
Central division will consist of Minny, Winny (hah!), Chicago, Nashville, Dallas, Columbus. That is 6 teams. Take out Columbus, it is 5 teams. Where did Detroit, Columbus, and St Louis go? Detroit to the East (which would CRUSH me) and St Louis to NW possibly? Columbus...?

Dear God, they are making this WAY more complicated than need-be if this is, in fact, what will happen.

HockeyDonkey33 07-12-2011 01:58 PM

I thought there was talk from Bettman of changing to 4, 8 team divisions (one having 7 teams) for the entire nhl....

foppagirl21 07-12-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyDonkey33 (Post 34948161)
I thought there was talk from Bettman of changing to 4, 8 team divisions (one having 7 teams) for the entire nhl....

I hate this idea, to be completely honest. 2 divisions with 8 teams and 2 with 7 teams. Yeah, that sure sounds like a good idea *rolls eyes*

Av-merican 07-12-2011 02:31 PM

At first glance it seems like a great idea...until you factor in Nashville and St. Louis. Why are they getting booted from the division? Doesn't make any sense. Both Columbus AND Detroit should move to the Eastern Conference. Putting Dallas in the Central makes sense though. Why they thought it was a good idea to put a CST team in a primarily PST division is beyond me.

Any radical realignment (which I am completely FOR by the way, unbalanced divisions be damned) will have to wait until Phoenix's situation gets sorted out.

Hennessy 07-12-2011 02:59 PM

At first it just seemed like it'd be a minor realignment,just a few teams migrating, but things I've read lately point to it being a cluster*****. I've nothing against change and think the league could benefit by wide restructuring, but it seems silly to nuke everything at this point in time, especially if they really do plan on going to the 4-division format with unbalanced teams.

electricjib 07-12-2011 03:09 PM

people in Toronto are super smart! Check this article out... http://www.thestar.com/staticcontent/1023559

apparently we're in Wyoming...sweet jeebus some people are dumb!

Foppa2118 07-12-2011 03:12 PM

I don't like the idea of losing Detroit from the West. The Avs will probably never have the same nasty rivalry going again, but once they both have contending teams again it'll heat up a bit I'm sure.

McLeod has already showed he has a dislike for them with his treatment of their octopus a few years ago. You know Duchene will get up for these games, and Lando, EJ, and Galiardi are guys that will play with an edge against them.

I want a good rival again. Vancouver has fallen off, Dallas isn't the same, and even the recent ones in LA and SJ have already faded a bit.

foppagirl21 07-12-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricjib (Post 34950941)
people in Toronto are super smart! Check this article out... http://www.thestar.com/staticcontent/1023559

apparently we're in Wyoming...sweet jeebus some people are dumb!

Ahahaha, gold

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foppa2118 (Post 34951091)
I don't like the idea of losing Detroit from the West. The Avs will probably never have the same nasty rivalry going again, but once they both have contending teams again it'll heat up a bit I'm sure.

McLeod has already showed he has a dislike for them with his treatment of their octopus a few years ago. You know Duchene will get up for these games, and Lando, EJ, and Galiardi are guys that will play with an edge against them.

I want a good rival again. Vancouver has fallen off, Dallas isn't the same, and even the recent ones in LA and SJ have already faded a bit.

This, exactly this. I would be devastated if Detroit went East.

electricjib 07-12-2011 03:19 PM

Hey I was thinking of going for a hike in the Tetons today before I to to Lodo...anyone want to join me?

Hennessy 07-12-2011 03:24 PM

I know Detroit wants to go East, but I just don't see the league letting that happen. As much as I hate them, they're money at the gate for a conference that needs it more often than not, it seems. Also, that would put 5 of the O6 in the EC, unless there's going to be some sort of North/South realignment (strongly unlikely) or another weird mixture. The East as it stands already has a lion's share of "premier" clubs. I don't understand the logic in adding to that unbalance.

Also, I've been belittling Red Wings fans for the last year who are adamant that their team will move East soon. If it actually happens I'll be forced to eat some particularly nasty crow.

Cypher 07-12-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricjib (Post 34950941)
people in Toronto are super smart! Check this article out... http://www.thestar.com/staticcontent/1023559

apparently we're in Wyoming...sweet jeebus some people are dumb!

:biglaugh:

Not to mention how terrible those options 2 and 3 are. San Jose in the same division as Florida ? Colorado in the same division as Florida? .. Clearly they know nothing of geography and timezones.

This is what I like

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...n89/divs10.jpg

According to that article, I think the divisions would look like

1) Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Phoenix
2) Chicago, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis, Minnesota, Winnipeg, Columbus
3) Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Detroit
4) Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Buffalo, New Jersey, New York x 2

Maybe switch Columbus and Detroit

Av-merican 07-12-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foppa2118 (Post 34951091)
I want a good rival again. Vancouver has fallen off, Dallas isn't the same, and even the recent ones in LA and SJ have already faded a bit.

Rivalries are built in the postseason, that's why any rivalries we once had are pretty much gone. They'll come back with a vengeance once the Avs get back into the business of making the playoffs and actually staying there past round 1.

PeterTheGreat 07-12-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av-merican (Post 34952229)
Rivalries are built in the postseason, that's why any rivalries we once had are pretty much gone. They'll come back with a vengeance once the Avs get back into the business of making the playoffs and actually staying there past round 1.

Agreed, although I think we may develop (have already developed) a bit of a rivalry with the Blues. Obviously the EJ-Stewart trade and there was some definite bitterness between the 2 teams the last meeting or 2 with them if I remember correctly.

Bill Peckerskull 07-12-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cypher (Post 34951761)
:biglaugh:

Not to mention how terrible those options 2 and 3 are. San Jose in the same division as Florida ? Colorado in the same division as Florida? .. Clearly they know nothing of geography and timezones.

This is what I like

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...n89/divs10.jpg

According to that article, I think the divisions would look like

1) Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Phoenix
2) Chicago, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis, Minnesota, Winnipeg, Columbus
3) Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Detroit
4) Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Buffalo, New Jersey, New York x 2

Maybe switch Columbus and Detroit

To me it makes more sense for Nashville to be placed with Flarida, Tampa, Carolina, Washington, Philly, and Pittsburgh; but there is really no good way to pick one of Detroit, Columbus, or Nashville over the other.

I suppose it would make more sense to trade one below average team for another, IE: C-Bus for Peg. Not really fair to both conferences to trade Detroit for Winnipeg. East gets harder, West gets easier.

Flanagan 07-12-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av-merican (Post 34949365)
Any radical realignment (which I am completely FOR by the way, unbalanced divisions be damned) will have to wait until Phoenix's situation gets sorted out.

I hope you meant unbalanced when referring to travel, not how good the teams are. Teams are always rebuilding and getting better while others are getting older and slowing down. Deciding divisions based upon the strengths of teams would be foolish.

Flanagan 07-12-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricjib (Post 34950941)
people in Toronto are super smart! Check this article out... http://www.thestar.com/staticcontent/1023559

apparently we're in Wyoming...sweet jeebus some people are dumb!

Ummm, no, I'm pretty sure they're right.

Foppa Frossa 07-12-2011 05:12 PM

The proposed Canadian Division would be weak :laugh:

Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa

Vancouver would win the division every year. :sarcasm:

Drij 07-12-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flanagan (Post 34955159)
Ummm, no, I'm pretty sure they're right.

They fixed it.

Av-merican 07-12-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flanagan (Post 34954795)
I hope you meant unbalanced when referring to travel, not how good the teams are. Teams are always rebuilding and getting better while others are getting older and slowing down. Deciding divisions based upon the strengths of teams would be foolish.

Yes, I'm referring to travel.

foppagirl21 07-12-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flanagan (Post 34955159)
Ummm, no, I'm pretty sure they're right.

They fixed it. Otherwise I would look like a complete idiot for not knowing where I grew up, haha.

Av-merican 07-12-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foppagirl21 (Post 34955833)
They fixed it. Otherwise I would look like a complete idiot for not knowing where I grew up, haha.

The thing that makes that mistake worse is that the National Post did the EXACT SAME THING a few weeks back--Puck Daddy caught the error.

Attention, Canadians, you're on notice. The next time someone from the Great White North gets all over us for not knowing where places like Yellowknife are, we're breakin' this out.

Hasbro 07-12-2011 07:21 PM

Just put all the Canadian teams together and call it the Circle Jerk Division.

Bill Peckerskull 07-12-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasbro (Post 34959941)
Just put all the Canadian teams together and call it the Circle Jerk Division.

Or NHL D League :sarcasm:

The Shermanator 07-12-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasbro (Post 34959941)
Just put all the Canadian teams together and call it the Circle Jerk Division.

Hey... :(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.