HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Sun: Steve Simmons discusses Tim Connolly (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=949345)

HogtownSabresfan 07-12-2011 04:27 PM

Steve Simmons discusses Tim Connolly
 
I'd say overall it's pretty fair. Tacks about upside and potential downside,

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/12...s-always-a-but

Funk Volume 07-12-2011 04:28 PM

that title is an oxymoron

Mod Edit: title changed to better reflect the topic

Erza Scarlet 07-12-2011 04:33 PM

Overall it was fair. Stupid to point out he only scored 50 points twice considering he's never played majority of the games where he solid production.

thebluemachine* 07-12-2011 04:34 PM

A Simmons article posted by a Sabres fan on the Leafs forum.

:laugh:

Squiffy 07-12-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrKO28 (Post 34953877)
that title is an oxymoron

Beat me to it, bares repeating though.

Rinzler 07-12-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTime (Post 34954065)
A Simmons article posted by a Sabres fan on the Leafs forum.

:laugh:

Closet leaf fan? Only plausible explanation.

Squiffy 07-12-2011 04:46 PM

Wait, it's okay, it quotes both Milbury and off the record sources ragging on Connolly, and here I thought it'd be a second rate job.. I smell Pulitzer.

:rolleyes:

Pi 07-12-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTime (Post 34954065)
A Simmons article posted by a Sabres fan on the Leafs forum.

:laugh:

I didn't even have to click the link. This is what I wanted to say.

HogtownSabresfan 07-12-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTime (Post 34954065)
A Simmons article posted by a Sabres fan on the Leafs forum.

:laugh:

Stevie likes to stir it up for sure, that's his game. But he's not a cheerleader and that's part of the reason he's hated. I don't see how that piece on Connolly is not fair. I have little doubt Sabres fans would say he took it easy on him. LOL.

Pi 07-12-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan (Post 34954691)
Stevie likes to stir it up for sure, that's his game. But he's not a cheerleader and that's part of the reason he's hated. I don't see how that piece on Connolly is not fair. I have little doubt Sabres fans would say he took it easy on him. LOL.

No. He lets his hate for Burke get in the way off giving constructive criticism.

Heck he was unhappy when we got Franson for LEBDA. BRETT ****ing LEBDA. Even if Frason spirals down and just becomes a 6th D he's still 10 times better than Lebda.

HogtownSabresfan 07-12-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi (Post 34954861)
No. He lets his hate for Burke get in the way off giving constructive criticism.

Heck he was unhappy when we got Franson for LEBDA. BRETT ****ing LEBDA. Even if Frason spirals down and just becomes a 6th D he's still 10 times better than Lebda.

Didn't see piece and can't find it. But that deal was a steal for Leafs, rich team robbing poor team. Not really genius on Burke's part just smart using his financial muscle, like Sabres stealing Robyn Regehr by taking on $3-million contract.
Post link if you find it. There are plenty of cheerleaders in Toronto. Simmons is fun.

Punjabi 07-12-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi (Post 34954861)
No. He lets his hate for Burke get in the way off giving constructive criticism.

Heck he was unhappy when we got Franson for LEBDA. BRETT ****ing LEBDA. Even if Frason spirals down and just becomes a 6th D he's still 10 times better than Lebda.


THIS!

Saul Goodman 07-12-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan (Post 34954691)
Stevie likes to stir it up for sure, that's his game. But he's not a cheerleader and that's part of the reason he's hated. I don't see how that piece on Connolly is not fair. I have little doubt Sabres fans would say he took it easy on him. LOL.

not being a cheerleader and being critical is one thing. stirring the pot is another. constantly ****ing on anything to do with the leafs at every turn is completely different. especially when you work for the toronto sun. if you read his articles on a semi-regular basis it becomes quite apparent what his perogitive is.

his articles lack substance and are devoid of any insight into the sport he's covering. any hack can dream up ficticious quotes and claim they're off the record comments from NHL GM's. not only were his recent comments on burkes trip to afghanistan extremely ignorant but managed to offend burke and many others in the process. it's only a matter of time before he's gone IMO. i'm sure he'd fit in quite nicely with the vancouver media, i'll gladly drop him off at the airport myself.

Volcanologist 07-12-2011 05:26 PM

Gee, a negative Steve Simmons article attacking a Leaf player is a "good piece" to Sabre fan.

A shocking development.

OP, what is your problem? you've made your opinion on Connolly known 500 times now. Get lost.

ForSpareParts* 07-12-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lance uppercut 83 (Post 34956013)
not being a cheerleader and being critical is one thing. stirring the pot is another. constantly ****ing on anything to do with the leafs at every turn is completely different. especially when you work for the toronto sun. if you read his articles on a semi-regular basis it becomes quite apparent what his perogitive is.

his articles lack substance and are devoid of any insight into the sport he's covering. any hack can dream up ficticious quotes and claim they're off the record comments from NHL GM's. not only were his recent comments on burkes trip to afghanistan extremely ignorant but managed to offend burke and many others in the process. it's only a matter of time before he's gone IMO. i'm sure he'd fit in quite nicely with the vancouver media, i'll gladly drop him off at the airport myself.


add to that the Grade 7 level reading / intellect mandate he must fulfill.

hullsy47 07-12-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agreement (Post 34956245)
add to that the Grade 7 level reading / intellect mandate he must fulfill.

its an honest article .......hes gotta stay healthy ,obviously buffalo didnt think he can do it ....if hes our no 1 center we ;ll be in tough

iPunch 07-12-2011 05:40 PM

The only person worth reading in that article is Sherry Bassin, who is one of the most standup guys you'll meet in the game.

ForzaZuffa 07-12-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volcanologist (Post 34956085)
Gee, a negative Steve Simmons article attacking a Leaf player is a "good piece" to Sabre fan.

A shocking development.

OP, what is your problem? you've made your opinion on Connolly known 500 times now. Get lost.

Seconded.

HogtownSabresfan 07-12-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa (Post 34956503)
Seconded.

It's just a link. That's all

Pi 07-12-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan (Post 34955111)
Didn't see piece and can't find it. But that deal was a steal for Leafs, rich team robbing poor team. Not really genius on Burke's part just smart using his financial muscle, like Sabres stealing Robyn Regehr by taking on $3-million contract.
Post link if you find it. There are plenty of cheerleaders in Toronto. Simmons is fun.

He criticized Burke for not being here on July 1st because he was @ Afghanistan then said that one league exec told him I would have to look for another job if i did that.

He felt that if Brain Burke was in the room instead of being in Afghanistan we would get Brad Richards.

Now...let's take a trip back to the PAST!!! Fun times I tell you. February, Steve Simmons:

"A source and friend close to Brad Richards has made it clear that he will not be considering Toronto but Tampa/NYR were the teams he'd potentially go to"

Well Mr. Simmons, if you already knew he won't be considering Toronto why were you saying Brian Burke would make a LOT of difference in the negotiations with Richards?

Did the article answer that question? I don't think so.

The Norris 07-12-2011 05:45 PM

The Toronto Sun is for mouth breathers.

Hanta Yo 07-12-2011 05:51 PM

Isn't the OP the one came over here when the Leafs signed Connolly and acted like Connolly ran over his dog?

ForzaZuffa 07-12-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanta Yo (Post 34956905)
Isn't the OP the one came over here when the Leafs signed Connolly and acted like Connolly ran over his dog?

Exactly right. Guy has a serious vendetta against Connolly. We get it, you don't like the player.

HogtownSabresfan 07-12-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanta Yo (Post 34956905)
Isn't the OP the one came over here when the Leafs signed Connolly and acted like Connolly ran over his dog?

I actually think Connolly was an OK signing for the Leafs, based on the market at the time. If Leafs didn't pay it, someone else would have. Sorry. I just don't believe he's a first line centre. I think he's good for 50-55 points over 70 games because he's a bit brittle.
If that opinion makes me anti-Connolly, I guess I am.
I don't see what is offensive about just posting a link to Simmon's piece in Sun. Yeah, it's Simmons but I thought there were some valid points. I posted in Sabres room too.

showtime8 07-12-2011 06:00 PM

TBH, that's a fair article if you read it.

Any scouting report on the guy will say the same thing. Despite who may have written the article, the guy makes a good point. If Grabovski didn't score in the playoffs, Leafs fans would call him out in a second. (pending they make it there)

And its too bad for his injury situation. I really think that he could be a top tier player in the league if that hadn't happened. But I'm not gonna start with the what if's....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.