HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Which young Dman do you think has the most potential? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=952625)

I Will Son 07-17-2011 03:32 PM

Which young Dman do you think has the most potential?

I gotta go with Josi.

AtlantaWhaler 07-17-2011 03:36 PM

Tough not to pick Blum here.

Soundgarden 07-17-2011 03:48 PM

If we're just talking potential I'd have to go with Ellis, but I think Blum might be the best of the bunch.

AL-Canadian 07-17-2011 04:21 PM

Went with Josi - hearing the Ads' coach say he was on par or possibly better than Suter/Weber at similar stage in career is hard to overlook with Josi. Love Blum's play right now and Ellis' offensive potential but I can't wait for Josi to get his Predator teeth in the lineup.

gopreds19 07-17-2011 05:29 PM

Tough question, and interesting poll. If we're talking pure potential, you'd have to say Ellis, right? But who's more likely to be the best of the bunch, I'd go Blum.

Ellis could be like a Rafalski, maybe better?

Alvvays 07-17-2011 05:33 PM

Blum is an extremely impressive young defenseman. Reminded me a bit of his teammate Suter with the poise he put on display at such a young age.

pekkaslap 07-17-2011 06:19 PM

It's a good problem to have. Especially since one of them is probably going to have to replace Weber in a couple years by the way things are looking.

RaiderDoug 07-17-2011 07:15 PM

I'd have to say Blum. At worst, he's Dan Hamhuis. We might have another Suter in him though.

Ellis has that boom or bust potential though. If he can handle the NHL game, he's got superstar offensive potential on the back end. If he can't he'll be another guy who can dominate the minors but who's game doesn't translate to the NHL.

Webersmashpuck 07-17-2011 07:17 PM

Im going with Ellis, he has the potential to be a superstar in the league. I don't the he gets that far but 30 goal seasons are not out of the question for him.

I feel Blum has a lower ceiling but is almost a sure bet to be a top-20 defenseman in the league someday.

Josi can be like Suter, but does not have the physical elements right now to reach his potential. I do see him being a good #2 guy though.

Eckholm is tough to get a read on, last year his potential was the same of say a Sulzer, probably will make the NHL but be a bottom pairing guy. Now he has shown more to his game and could be quite a good NHL player.

Flgatorguy87 07-17-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck (Post 35120655)
Im going with Ellis, he has the potential to be a superstar in the league. I don't the he gets that far but 30 goal seasons are not out of the question for him.

I feel Blum has a lower ceiling but is almost a sure bet to be a top-20 defenseman in the league someday.
Josi can be like Suter, but does not have the physical elements right now to reach his potential. I do see him being a good #2 guy though.

Eckholm is tough to get a read on, last year his potential was the same of say a Sulzer, probably will
make the NHL but be a bottom pairing guy. Now he has shown more to his game and could be quite a good NHL player.

You say Josi can be like Suter one day if he can increase his physicality, but Suter plays a game of positioning not physicality. I think Josi will probably end up our best overall defensive defenseman from this prospect pool, but will be more of a happy medium between Weber and Suter.

Enoch 07-17-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flgatorguy87 (Post 35123649)
You say Josi can be like Suter one day if he can increase his physicality, but Suter plays a game of positioning not physicality. I think Josi will probably end up our best overall defensive defenseman from this prospect pool, but will be more of a happy medium between Weber and Suter.

Suter isn't an open ice-hitter. He is pretty tenacious along the boards and net.

Flgatorguy87 07-17-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 35123751)
Suter isn't an open ice-hitter. He is pretty tenacious along the boards and net.

Ya I agree, Suter uses his body to make the opponent go were he wants them too. That's what I call positioning more than physicality like Weber exhibits. I could see some people say that's his version of a physical game, but just a difference of definitions I guess.

kypredsfan 07-18-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL-Canadian (Post 35115985)
Went with Josi - hearing the Ads' coach say he was on par or possibly better than Suter/Weber at similar stage in career is hard to overlook with Josi. Love Blum's play right now and Ellis' offensive potential but I can't wait for Josi to get his Predator teeth in the lineup.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I finally figured out who to vote for. Thanks for writing it for me. :)

TMI 07-18-2011 10:02 AM

I went with Ekholm. The guy went from under-the-radar to impressing everyone in the organization at development camp. I think short of a terrible camp/injury he is a lock to be on the team this year. All four will be legit, though

crossxcheck 07-18-2011 12:44 PM

I went with Ellis based on potential, but it's hard to argue against what Blum has showed us already.

worstfaceoffmanever 07-18-2011 01:38 PM

Blum is Suter 2.0.

Shea Weber 07-18-2011 01:45 PM

All I hear about Ellis is that he can be a great qb on the pp.

"Cant wait" - Bart Scott

crossxcheck 07-18-2011 01:56 PM

P.S. how many other teams have talents such as Suter, Weber and Klein already established and 4 top quality D prospects like these in their system? None I can think of currently.

utmfisher19 07-18-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyle (Post 35118163)
Blum is an extremely impressive young defenseman. Reminded me a bit of his teammate Suter with the poise he put on display at such a young age.

This :handclap:

TootooTrain 07-18-2011 03:18 PM

Ellis has more offensive upside and is the more exciting defensive prospect, so I had to vote for him because of "potential". However I haven't see enough of him, other than the world junior tournament. He could turn out to be a Scott Niedermayer, or a Marc-andre Bergeron. I'm very interested in how he copes with tougher competition.

Honorary vote goes to Blum. From what I saw all year, including the playoffs this kid is a stud. Patience, poise, offensive instinct, good first pass, and pretty good along the boards aswell. I'm loving this kids progression.

glenngineer 07-18-2011 04:24 PM

This is an interesting thread in the sense that we all have different definitions of potential.

Offensively, Ellis probably has the highest ceiling.

Defensively, Ekholm could be the big shut down guy we've been searching for.

Good two way guys, Josi and Blum sure look like good fits in this category. They could end up being the poor mans Weber/Suter pairing in a few years.

Intangibles probably go to Ellis and Josi. Ellis has always been a winner wherever he's played and Josi has played amongst men the last few years and done quite well.

Instincts I'd go with Blum at this point. He has the ability to know when to pinch or to lay back, when to avoid the big hit in the corner, etc.

I think it's pretty amazing we have these 4 in the pipeline all with bright futures. And for what it's worth, COR looked pretty good in camp. Very fluid moving defenseman with great hands.

The blueline pipeline we have is pretty strong right now. Very encouraging if these kids pan out.

kakemono 07-18-2011 08:33 PM

It's unbelievable how Blum walked into the NHL and instantly became the 3rd best dmen on one of the best defensive teams in the league.

...and he was only that because he happened upon a team with 2 of the top 10 dmen in the league.

If any of the other three top out over Blum, ill be shocked.

SwissStef 07-19-2011 07:28 AM

To be honest, i haven't seen Blum or Ellis play...so i can't compare them to Roman Josi.
But I have seen Josi playing in switzerland and i'm sure he's able to handle NHL forwards! In addition he has excellent playmaking skills and was, at the age of 18, one of the best offensive defenders in the Swiss League (including all the foreign players)...

I don't want to be overly optimistic...but i say he is the best talent we have in Swiss hockey!

The only thing i'm worried about is the fact, that in the NHL there is less open ice (smaller ice rink) than in Europe...it was a strength of Josi to "fly" with speed over the ice!

triggrman 07-19-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakemono (Post 35153125)
It's unbelievable how Blum walked into the NHL and instantly became the 3rd best dmen on one of the best defensive teams in the league.

...and he was only that because he happened upon a team with 2 of the top 10 dmen in the league.

If any of the other three top out over Blum, ill be shocked.

I'm going to agree with this.

predfan24 07-19-2011 10:33 AM

Potential:

Ellis

Josi

Blum

Safest:

Blum

Josi

Ellis

Not going to comment on Ekholm cause I've never seen him.

I think Blum has been a little overrated as I would doubt he would ever be Suter but I also think he is the safest of the bunch. He's got ice in his veins and thinks the game very well, However I think Ellis and Josi have more dynamic traits that make their potential ceiling higher.

Bottom line is it's almost embarrassing the riches we have on the D side of the puck. Can't wait to see them in action.