HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   News Article: John Jaeckel: Blackhawks Chemistry (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=953289)

HMP 07-18-2011 04:58 PM

John Jaeckel: Blackhawks Chemistry

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-...Love/128/37143

I thought this was a good read.

BobbyJet 07-18-2011 05:22 PM

The following is worrisome, if it's referring to Patrick Kane:

The Hawks, I'm told, had a fractured dressing room for much of last year. Not a schism, or a Civil War, but a couple of players (and one in particular) whose work habits and attitudes were not seen as conducive to winning, who the remainder of the players, including team leadership, became very impatient with (putting it mildly).

HMP 07-18-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyJet (Post 35147897)
The following is worrisome, if it's referring to Patrick Kane:

The Hawks, I'm told, had a fractured dressing room for much of last year. Not a schism, or a Civil War, but a couple of players (and one in particular) whose work habits and attitudes were not seen as conducive to winning, who the remainder of the players, including team leadership, became very impatient with (putting it mildly).

I was thinking it was Jack Skille

DisgruntledHawkFan 07-18-2011 05:25 PM

I truly am not sure who he is referring too. Jack Skille? Could a bottom six guy really cause a schism in the locker room?

Hawkaholic 07-18-2011 05:28 PM

I don't think it was just Kane, if it was. Toews and Kane are good buddies and probably truly care for each other and wouldn't let this ruin any locker room.

Some of the leaders (Toews/Seabs/Sharp) probably got fed up with some of the slouches, and there weren't any guys like Burish, Ladd, Madden, etc. to make light of the situation or to back them up.

It sounds like it was a quiet dressing room, they weren't comfortable with each other, and some of the guys showed up out of shape and displayed a lack of heart at times.

brtriad 07-18-2011 05:32 PM

He's talking about Turco. He never should've been the starter to begin with, and we were a much better team once he was permanently planted on the bench.

DisgruntledHawkFan 07-18-2011 05:37 PM

Every report was that Turco was nothing but professional and helpful with Crawford once they turned things around.

I can't imagine with the parents comment that he was referring to a 36 year old man.

Al Secord Forever 07-18-2011 05:41 PM

It's definitely interesting. I was curious if some of the locker room was 'enabling' Kane is non-productive ways ... in this case Skille. I really can't imagine who else they could be referring to that would have affected the first half of last season. Clearly the limo thing with Versteeg and Madden helped see Versteeg out the door but not sure what changes occurred over the FA period that would have helped chemistry to that degree. Campbell is a worker, as is Brouwer.

Pisani is, well, Pisani.

Sevanston 07-18-2011 05:41 PM

All rumors and speculation until someone steps forward with names.

I'm not saying that the Hawks' locker room was a happy place last year, but suggesting that there was a schism or one player in particular who was bad is really just rumors and conspiracy theories without any facts.

brtriad 07-18-2011 05:44 PM

He also says:

Quote:

But it is about the realities of pro sports and politics versus the marketing and p.r. spin you're asked to believe.
And:

Quote:

A change was soon made that improved things dramatically, though it didn't solve everything then.
That change is Crawford being made the starter and relegating Turdco to the bench.

And:

Quote:

A team that is half muckers and half Jaromir Jagrs (or Roberto Luongos, or . . .), "because you need both," finishes 9th in the conference.
Turco was hot dogging it to his final pay day. The opening bench gig on Polak is an example of the lackadaisical attitude he's describing.

DisgruntledHawkFan 07-18-2011 05:48 PM

Goaltenders tend to be an island. I can't imagine Turco causing any sort of problem in the lockerroom considering he's been nothing but professional his entire career.

brtriad 07-18-2011 06:03 PM

Forgot about the betting incident with the Habs fan too. My money is on Turdco.

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/site...YPE=image/jpeg

EmeticDonut 07-18-2011 06:08 PM

Or JJ is exaggerating to get hits to his crap blog. Without any names or corroborating information it could just as well be meaningless rumor-mongering.

HMP 07-18-2011 06:12 PM

lol at the Canucks fan being all offended in the comments section about the Luongo comment. Why do Canucks fans read a BLACKHAWKS blog?

mikitas donut 07-18-2011 06:34 PM

I have a hard time believing it to be Turco. He was hilarious and helped to mentor Crawford.

As for the Skille speculation, I recall Bolland being asked how he felt about the sudden trade of Skille. His reply was, "I think you'll see a better game out of us from now on."

No Fun Shogun 07-18-2011 06:48 PM

Eh, not sure who the mystery trouble maker was, but I'm doubting that it would've been Kane. Way too high profile for poor work ethic and a bad attitude on his part to have remained hidden, even if the Hawks went out of their way to keep their locker room issues a secret.

MadhouseOnMadison 07-18-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMP (Post 35149333)
lol at the Canucks fan being all offended in the comments section about the Luongo comment. Why do Canucks fans read a BLACKHAWKS blog?

It's their inferiority complex. Just ******** 24-7 from that camp.

BobbyJet 07-18-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtriad (Post 35149099)
Forgot about the betting incident with the Habs fan too. My money is on Turdco.

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/site...YPE=image/jpeg

I can't see it possibly being Turco. In fact, he is the player that has been a true professional in trying times for him personally and the team. Even early on, when the team played awful in front of him, he basically deflected the brunt of the criticism from others, remained upbeat, and stayed a team player throughout the year.

Wasn't it Toews who in jest said he and Kane had a few shouting matches on the ice. I think it was Kane (if it is even true of course). Skille is a another possibility as some teammates may have pointed out his selfish play.... and he was traded.

LarmerSavardSecord 07-18-2011 07:28 PM

Maybe it's all hearsay and BS, but there is little doubt he is referring to Pat Kane. There had beed rumors last year about a conflict between Kane and the Hawks' brass to go along with the many stories about Kane acting like a drunk D-bag all year long from bar-goers in the city (that Kane partied a lot is not in doubt)

My guess is the story goes that Skille was his partner in crime so the red-lighted him.

Crazy_Ike 07-18-2011 07:35 PM

Interesting article but author grossly overestimates how much everyone being lovey-dovey in the dressing room actually matters. Obviously you don't want a cancer in there, but people don't need to be friends to work well together and often work better together if they aren't.

Regardless of that, it is laughable to predict the lockerroom will be better before the team has even gotten together for a practice yet. People just aren't that predictable.

KyleJRM 07-18-2011 07:35 PM

Losing (or in this case, not winning as much as they hoped) causes lockerroom friction, not the other way around. Win the division this year and they'll all love each other again.

massivegoonery 07-18-2011 07:36 PM

That Kane partied a lot isn't in doubt, but I haven't heard anything about him being a *********. In fact, most of the stories I have heard have him buying shots for all comers.

Recoil 07-18-2011 07:56 PM

Not that it matters much now, but I'd bet good money on Skille too. I remember a couple of games where the camera happened to be on him when he got off the ice, and he tried chatting up a teammate or two next to him, and it was visibly clear that the teammate wanted nothing to do with even talking to the guy.

If it was Kane (and I do not believe it is) then I also don't think its an issue anymore because he visibly put in a lot of work this off season to better himself. I think he is more refocused on hockey than ever. But, given that quality, that is why I definitely don't believe its him. He also put in a ton of effort in the second half of last year working on his defense.

CPHawksFan 07-18-2011 08:12 PM

I just don't see how the entire team could let a useless turd like Jack Skille cause a divide in the locker room. I would think it would have to be a higher-profile player.

Also, I was very surprised to see JJ write that the 2011-2012 team may have more character than the 2009-2010 championship team. I hope he's right!

Blue Liner 07-18-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massivegoonery (Post 35151533)
That Kane partied a lot isn't in doubt, but I haven't heard anything about him being a *********. In fact, most of the stories I have heard have him buying shots for all comers.

I've heard some things about him but nothing worse than any other athlete or person in his position. Things get magnified when it comes to him. He's not doing anything different than any other pro athlete or movie star or person with fame and money does in his position. They're human, and there are times they get caught being human/aka unfriendly or in a bad mood or whatever. For every negative Kane story I've heard I've just as many positive ones like you mention...of him getting shots or stopping by to chat, and as far as his womanizing of ladies who have boyfriends, I know a girl with a bf who was talking to him all night and as soon as her bf came to the bar (unexpectedly) Kane got pissed at her for acting single only to have a bf show up. So obviously, there are two sides to everything. These guys are human just like the rest of us, and in a summer where they were trashed and painting the city all summer long there were bound to be plenty of moments where any and all of them weren't quite themselves or did things out of character. I think everything just gets blown up, especially in the case of Kane.