HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   News Article: Draft Review (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=953513)

Sybil227 07-18-2011 11:54 PM

Draft Review

I haven't seen anyone else post it.
Our draft review is up:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._draft_review/

Thanks to Josh!

While I'm at it - HF had a draft winners & losers link to craveonline. And while that article didn't really mention us - this one did:
http://www.craveonline.com/sports/pr...ing-like-kings

Shellz 07-18-2011 11:59 PM

And now....Schenn is gone.

DryIslandBartender 07-19-2011 12:24 AM

Nick Shore will be awesome. :yo:

Would be great behind Kopi/Richards in a few years.

TruKingFan 07-19-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellz (Post 35158909)

I know...and for nothing right? :shakehead

Hendrydoso 07-19-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellz (Post 35158909)

It took me a minute to figure out what you where on about. I got it. ^^^^^

Telos 07-19-2011 12:00 PM

Been looking forward to this, thanks Josh.

Shellz 07-19-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruKingFan (Post 35168209)
I know...and for nothing right? :shakehead

errr..what?

Vino 07-19-2011 01:00 PM

Andy Andreoff

Josh, you wrote:

"Given his age and physical stature, standing 6'1 and about 200 lbs, Andreoff is poised to make the jump to the pro ranks this season, though whether he'll play for the Monarchs in a depth role or be a key player for the Reign is uncertain."

Could Andreoff replace Corey Elkins in Manchester?

Loktionov (if he plays in the AHL), Azevedo, Vey - they don't have much size or toughness, so they need one bigger/meaner/defensivemind center there.

And is Andreoff really that big? I watched his fightningclips and I think he is a little smaller, maybye 6'0 and 190 lbs. But he can fight - a really good technical fighter (maybye he can teach Kyle Clifford to fight, not just throw punches). Just like Zenon Konopka, who is not a big guy, but knows his jobs very well.

Tonellisghost - I presume, that you had seen Andreoff several times. What you think about him? Especially I like to know how good skater he is?

T2M 07-19-2011 10:23 PM

It's a fascinating draft class. I have a feeling we'll get a couple NHLers out of it (not banking on any of them being more than third liners, although Gibson might develop into more than a backup--in 4 or 5 years), but I'm not sure who. The best thing I can say is that these prospects are being put into the best possible situation for the team (not necessarily the players). That is, they are in an uber competitive system now with no expectations that any of them will be significant NHL contributors in the near future. You make the NHL when you are ready to succeed in the NHL. That's a great feeling.

On a related note, this is the best thing that the Richards trade has done for the team. It has given us two top notch centers who are roughly the same age. No waiting for one to develop while the other one declines, no major top 6 holes provided that everybody comes ready to perform--it's the perfect situation to bring prospects along to maturity. I'm a DL supporter when it comes to his developmental philosophy--put them in the minors with specific tasks and have them become the players they need to be to succeed at the NHL level. We are now so insulated throughout the NHL lineup that this process can take the time it needs to. I think we hockey fans have become completely out of whack expecting every 21 year old to be physically, mentally, and emotionally mature enough to handle the NHL because a handful of players can. Really, I don't think I started hitting my stride until my mid-late 20s (I'm now 29 and can still see where I have to keep growing and developing as a person and professional). To expect the same thing of the kids is nuts. 24-25, then they need to start consistently performing at their highest level, but only because the physical toll of professional hockey will leave most of these young men too damaged physically to compete past 35. Now we can temper our expectations and have them pay their dues, grow into mature young men, and reap the rewards. The next few drafts, I suspect, will help us restock the cupboard with players who can make an impact with that kind of seasoning.

etherialone 07-20-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vino (Post 35172741)
Josh, you wrote:

"Given his age and physical stature, standing 6'1 and about 200 lbs, Andreoff is poised to make the jump to the pro ranks this season, though whether he'll play for the Monarchs in a depth role or be a key player for the Reign is uncertain."

Could Andreoff replace Corey Elkins in Manchester?

Loktionov (if he plays in the AHL), Azevedo, Vey - they don't have much size or toughness, so they need one bigger/meaner/defensivemind center there.

And is Andreoff really that big? I watched his fightningclips and I think he is a little smaller, maybye 6'0 and 190 lbs. But he can fight - a really good technical fighter (maybye he can teach Kyle Clifford to fight, not just throw punches). Just like Zenon Konopka, who is not a big guy, but knows his jobs very well.

Tonellisghost - I presume, that you had seen Andreoff several times. What you think about him? Especially I like to know how good skater he is?

Sorry Vino but I have only seen Andreoff skate a couple of times over the years ( I took a look at him pre draft last season but not a very long one) and didn't really watch him at all this past season. He was totally off of my radar. Josh has him pegged from what I know about the kid.

I am going to spend a few days watching his feet and some dedicated tape that I have just received on him and can tell you a little more after I am through but while the tape(dig/vid/dvd etc) is nice you have to watch players play the game live and with all of the implications that go along with competition to really get first hand knowledge about a player so I wouldn't expect too much.

etherialone 07-20-2011 12:41 PM

Another exceptionally well written and very informative write up Josh, thank you for all of the hard work.

Duc620 07-20-2011 01:27 PM

Great post T2M....agree wholeheartedly.