HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Panthers sign Plante and Cheverie to one year deals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=954849)

PBPantherfan 07-20-2011 08:52 PM

Panthers sign Plante and Cheverie to one year deals

In a move geared toward bolstering their defense throughout the organization, the Florida Panthers came to terms with young goalies Tyler Plante and Marc Cheverie on one-year, two-way deals Wednesday.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/o...,1865988.story

Catsfan7 07-20-2011 09:06 PM

Plante was actually signed a few days ago, was going to make a thread, but got lazy. Anyway, I like the solidity, and depth we have at the goaltending position for the future.

UKPanther 07-21-2011 02:41 AM

I was wondering about Plante yesterday and hoping we would resign him. Very pleased with this news.

flapanthersfan 07-21-2011 03:03 AM

Cheverie's numbers were extremely disappointing in the ECHL least year.

He better turn it around this year or he may not get another offer this time next year.

JP Mick 07-21-2011 03:12 AM

Somewhat related...
Salak is back in the USA this year with the hawks and I wish him well, but not too well! I don't mind the Skille for Frolik trade, but if Salak takes off in the NHL I might hate it.

flapanthersfan 07-21-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP Mick (Post 35232657)
Somewhat related...
Salak is back in the USA this year with the hawks and I wish him well, but not too well! I don't mind the Skille for Frolik trade, but if Salak takes off in the NHL I might hate it.

agreed.

with the makeup of this team now - it's apparent frolik would have no future here, now or in the future. especially at $2.5 mil. it's clear as to why tallon dumped him. skille could still have a future as a bottom-6 player.

but including Salak bothered me then, and now even more. We'll see how he does I guess, but I liked what I saw from Salak.

Coolburn 07-21-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flapanthersfan (Post 35250133)
agreed.

with the makeup of this team now - it's apparent frolik would have no future here, now or in the future. especially at $2.5 mil. it's clear as to why tallon dumped him. skille could still have a future as a bottom-6 player.

but including Salak bothered me then, and now even more. We'll see how he does I guess, but I liked what I saw from Salak.

Dont forget we also got Pacan in that deal and he's looked decent as well so far. Thing is its hard to judge the deal now due to Pacan. I think he could be a decent bottom 6 forward but has decent upside too.

Markstrom Rules 07-22-2011 05:08 AM

Just because Salak is going to be in the nhl as a backup this season doesn't mean he's going to be good. We shall see. I like Markstrom and Brittain more than I ever liked Salak so it wasn't a big loss in my eyes.

flapanthersfan 07-23-2011 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 35267877)
Just because Salak is going to be in the nhl as a backup this season doesn't mean he's going to be good. We shall see. I like Markstrom and Brittain more than I ever liked Salak so it wasn't a big loss in my eyes.

Markstrom? obviously - but Brittain? c'mon - kid has had one good year at the college level and Salak has had success in several professional leagues now.

I liked what I saw from Salak - and I think he's going to be a good goalie. He reminds me alot of Antero Niittymaki (physically) - who is a very talented netminder, just lacks the mental aspect of the game to be a #1 goalie.

We'll see if Salak has that, or if he is destined to be a backup like Niitty is. But he's an NHL player now - Brittain has a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

Cheverie looked like a stud in college too - he hit the pro game and (although i didnt see him play) - by all acounts, he really struggled last year.

Not saying Brittain is destined for the same route - but he just has a long way to go and I'd take Salak over him at this point.

Markstrom Rules 07-23-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flapanthersfan (Post 35301281)
Markstrom? obviously - but Brittain? c'mon - kid has had one good year at the college level and Salak has had success in several professional leagues now.

I liked what I saw from Salak - and I think he's going to be a good goalie. He reminds me alot of Antero Niittymaki (physically) - who is a very talented netminder, just lacks the mental aspect of the game to be a #1 goalie.

We'll see if Salak has that, or if he is destined to be a backup like Niitty is. But he's an NHL player now - Brittain has a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

Cheverie looked like a stud in college too - he hit the pro game and (although i didnt see him play) - by all acounts, he really struggled last year.

Not saying Brittain is destined for the same route - but he just has a long way to go and I'd take Salak over him at this point.

Brittain has much better fundamentals and looks more talented to me than Salak ever did.

Yes, Salak is going to be in the NHL this year but again, that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bonafide nhl player. We will see. Let's keep in mind the hawks needed a dirt cheap backup because of their cap situation.

As for Salak having success in multiple leagues....eh I guess. What has Salak really done though that's been so impressive? He had one great year in the SM-Liiga, ill give him that. Was good in Czech...ok but that's not that hard. He had a few good months in the ahl playing behind a great team. Tbh, Plante has been better in the ahl than Salak has. When Rochester was struggling and needed someone to step up and save the day it was Plante who carried the team on his back and won multiple ahl player of the week awards, not Salak. He also performed admirably last season went Markstrom went down.

In 09-10 Salak completely melted down after a few months when shooters started figuring him out and realizing that he had horrible technique and was just all reflexes. The coach bewilderingly gave him one more shot in the playoffs and again he blew it and they got blown out in game 1. Plante did his best to get them back in it but they lost in the 7th game. Then the Panthers basically told Salak to go to Europe because he couldn't hack it in north america yet. Then he goes and plays behind the best team in the SEL. He put up great numbers, but again consider the team. He is still largely unproven in north america.

I said this before but Brittain to me looks better than cheverie ever did at denver. Cheverie didn't start dominating and playing at the kind of level he was recognized for late in his college career until he was 21. Brittain did it at 18. He had the second best sv% in the wcha, think about how good that is for a true freshman goalie in a competitive conference. I've seen both play many times, and there is no comparison in quality between cheverie and brittain.

flapanthersfan 07-23-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 35313935)
Brittain has much better fundamentals and looks more talented to me than Salak ever did.

Yes, Salak is going to be in the NHL this year but again, that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bonafide nhl player. We will see. Let's keep in mind the hawks needed a dirt cheap backup because of their cap situation.

As for Salak having success in multiple leagues....eh I guess. What has Salak really done though that's been so impressive? He had one great year in the SM-Liiga, ill give him that. Was good in Czech...ok but that's not that hard. He had a few good months in the ahl playing behind a great team. Tbh, Plante has been better in the ahl than Salak has. When Rochester was struggling and needed someone to step up and save the day it was Plante who carried the team on his back and won multiple ahl player of the week awards, not Salak. He also performed admirably last season went Markstrom went down.

In 09-10 Salak completely melted down after a few months when shooters started figuring him out and realizing that he had horrible technique and was just all reflexes. The coach bewilderingly gave him one more shot in the playoffs and again he blew it and they got blown out in game 1. Plante did his best to get them back in it but they lost in the 7th game. Then the Panthers basically told Salak to go to Europe because he couldn't hack it in north america yet. Then he goes and plays behind the best team in the SEL. He put up great numbers, but again consider the team. He is still largely unproven in north america.

I said this before but Brittain to me looks better than cheverie ever did at denver. Cheverie didn't start dominating and playing at the kind of level he was recognized for late in his college career until he was 21. Brittain did it at 18. He had the second best sv% in the wcha, think about how good that is for a true freshman goalie in a competitive conference. I've seen both play many times, and there is no comparison in quality between cheverie and brittain.

salak didn't get loaned to europe because he "wasn't good enough" - that's ridiculous. we simply had no room for him over here with markstrom coming over and taking the reigns in the AHL - and salak wasn't about to backup or go to the ECHL. europe was his only option.

i know all about his season in rochester - i think he looks great. technique can be tought, reflexes (aka: talent) can not. he's as quick as anyone and once he gets the technichal side of the position worked out, he's going to be a good goalie. how good? we'll see, but i think he's definitely an NHL talent...and chicago agrees with me. and it has nothing to do with cap space anymore - they have over $3mil to spend right now...and that's after overpaying steve montador grossly and signing other players. there's plenty of NHL goalies out there that remain unsigned, and likely would have taken the deal salak took (better than being unemployed...right?)

i havent seen brittain play so i can't comment that much about him. but i'll take the guy whos in the NHL already over a freshman in college. i hope you're right - but the college game isn't exactly the highest level of competition and cheverie just my way of proving that. he looked great in college. he looked terrible in the ECHL....let alone the AHL or NHL. Brittain has alot to prove to even get to where Salak is in his career.

Coolburn 07-23-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flapanthersfan (Post 35315303)
i havent seen brittain play so i can't comment that much about him. but i'll take the guy whos in the NHL already over a freshman in college. i hope you're right - but the college game isn't exactly the highest level of competition and cheverie just my way of proving that. he looked great in college. he looked terrible in the ECHL....let alone the AHL or NHL. Brittain has alot to prove to even get to where Salak is in his career.

Tim Thomas and Ryan Miller both say HI!

Markstrom Rules 07-23-2011 11:28 PM

Salak could have backed Markstrom up or been loaned to another ahl club. The Panthers thought it would be best for his development to play in Europe. Salak said the Panthers wanted him to play there.

It takes many years for a goalie to hone his technique. Salak is already 25 or whatever he is so he's behind the eight ball big time in that regard. And then add more years to get used to north american hockey coming from europe. Its not a matter of when he gets the technical stuff down, its more like if. Salak was signed before Chicago traded Campbell to free up cap space. Im not saying their cap issue was the only reason they comitted to him as the backup, but it certainly could have expedited his path to the nhl.

flapanthersfan 07-24-2011 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolburn (Post 35317601)
Tim Thomas and Ryan Miller both say HI!

for every thomas/miller (and it took thomas YEARS after college...in other leagues... to reach the nhl) - there's 20-30 goalies that look good in college and can't hack it in the pros.

flapanthersfan 07-24-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 35322035)
Salak could have backed Markstrom up or been loaned to another ahl club. The Panthers thought it would be best for his development to play in Europe. Salak said the Panthers wanted him to play there.

then what do you do with plante? send him to the ECHL?

salak is european. sending him to europe was the only choice they had, neither plante nor salak would develop any playing in the ECHL all year, it would be a gigantic step backwards. my point is - they didn't send him to europe because he couldn't hack it - and insinuating that is just ridiculous and you know it.

Quote:

It takes many years for a goalie to hone his technique. Salak is already 25 or whatever he is so he's behind the eight ball big time in that regard. And then add more years to get used to north american hockey coming from europe. Its not a matter of when he gets the technical stuff down, its more like if. Salak was signed before Chicago traded Campbell to free up cap space. Im not saying their cap issue was the only reason they comitted to him as the backup, but it certainly could have expedited his path to the nhl.
he's had alot of success at the pro level with what you think is a "raw" technical game (and it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be). if he can't refine his game, he'll be a good backup. if he does - we made a terrible trade.

and they traded for salak and instantly signed him to a one-way, TWO YEAR deal. them committing to salak had nothing to do with salary. they just think he's good enough and has upside, plain and simple. i agree with them, and i think eventually he's going to be the reason that trade was a mistake, not frolik.

Markstrom Rules 07-24-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flapanthersfan (Post 35324745)
then what do you do with plante? send him to the ECHL?

salak is european. sending him to europe was the only choice they had, neither plante nor salak would develop any playing in the ECHL all year, it would be a gigantic step backwards. my point is - they didn't send him to europe because he couldn't hack it - and insinuating that is just ridiculous and you know it.

he's had alot of success at the pro level with what you think is a "raw" technical game (and it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be). if he can't refine his game, he'll be a good backup. if he does - we made a terrible trade.

and they traded for salak and instantly signed him to a one-way, TWO YEAR deal. them committing to salak had nothing to do with salary. they just think he's good enough and has upside, plain and simple. i agree with them, and i think eventually he's going to be the reason that trade was a mistake, not frolik.

As I already said, the Panthers could have loaned him to another ahl club. It isn't ridiculous at all saying he couldn't hack it in nort america, he clearly proved he couldn't. What has he done here that would make that comment ridiculous?

I don't think its a raw technical game, I know it is. Rochester fans have said the same thing. And the success he's had at the pro level is debatable as I've said. For all the success you think he's had, Plante has been just as successful in north american pro hockey as Salak has been in europe. One of the big points made in articles about his going over to Sweden was that his club had a great goalie coach who could really bring some structure to Salaks game. Supposedly he improved his technique according to one swedish poster who posted about him here. Well see to what degree, he may have, but I think its way too early to proclaim him as anything yet.

They didn't instantly sign Salak, he was signed a couple months ago. I don't see what difference that would make anyway, they figured they would have cap problems and they probably viewed the chance that they could move Campbells contract as something like 50/50 at best.

Markstrom Rules 07-24-2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flapanthersfan (Post 35324711)
for every thomas/miller (and it took thomas YEARS after college...in other leagues... to reach the nhl) - there's 20-30 goalies that look good in college and can't hack it in the pros.

The NCAA is better competition than major junior, and more nhl goalies come out of major junior. It has nothing to do with the competition, its just that major junior has always been where every amateur player wants to go, especially from canada, its a feeder system to the nhl. It has a reputation, a mystique. So of course more bonafide nhl talent is going to choose major junior over college. The NCAA has only begun to compete with that over the last decade, you are now seeing more nhl talent coming out of college in recent years. I don't think its a coincidence that that has also coincided with the rise of u.s. hockey. We've won the last three U-18s and you are now seeing players drafted out of almost every state you can name.

But make no mistake, ncaa hockey is better competition than junior. When you are playing against 23-24 year olds that is going to give you better competition than playing against teenagers. You can't have a bias against Brittain because he's in college. Clearly if he were playing in junior he'd be successful as well. The only thing with college goalies is that most of them aren't potential nhl talent. Clearly Brittain does not fall into that category.

Coolburn 07-24-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flapanthersfan (Post 35324711)

Yes and thank you for making a different point...you're knocking college hockey and specifically both Brittain and Cheverie but sometimes goalies take yrs to develop. Who's to say that either/both Brittain and Cheverie dont take a few yrs to develop and become better than Salak.

It sounds like you're just not being patient with the goalies we do have and worried about a goalie that was outplayed by Plante (another goalie we've kept) and choked when the pressure was on (leading up to and in the playoffs). Our depth in goal meant that Salak would've never seen the NHL and regardless of what he does or doesn't do, the trade will never be a mistake as both Frolik and Salak had to go (Frolik and Salak obviously didnt fit Tallon's plan and we needed contracts off the books). We got 2 players out of that deal and again, who's to say that the best player in that deal might not be Pacan in the long run.

MickOlax 07-24-2011 10:35 AM

I really hope that Plante gets his chance in the NHL soon. At least one game since he's been really good in the AHL for a couple years now. Unfortunately he's buried in our goalie depth right now but I'm still rooting for him to get a chance. He really deserves it imo.

Cheverie struggled in his first pro year quite a bit but I still believe in him as well. He was actually better last year in AHL than ECHL although he wasn't too good in either. Whereas Plante is fighting with Markström right now, Chevy is going to fight more with Foster who looked okay at the Dev Camp from what I've read here at HF.

Best of luck for both of them!

-L-