HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Prospect Info: Mikhail Pashnin to Play in N.A This Season (UPDATE: Signs extension in Russia) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=955853)

MacTruck 07-22-2011 11:21 AM

Mikhail Pashnin to Play in N.A This Season (UPDATE: Signs extension in Russia)

byndblueshirts According to CSKA GM Sergei Nemchinov, #NYR prospect Mikhail Pashnin will play in North America this coming season. (RIA Novosti)

Stugots 07-22-2011 11:22 AM

Was just about to post this. Can't wait to see what the kid could do

we want cup 07-22-2011 11:23 AM

Good news. Let's see if he can bring some more physicality to our defense pipeline.

GAGLine 07-22-2011 11:24 AM

We still have to sign him to an ELC.

CM PUNK 07-22-2011 11:30 AM

nice

Poozer 07-22-2011 11:31 AM

Well that is exciting, its always good to get more options. And what was he.. a 7th? The fact he's coming to NA is already exceeding the expectations for a 7th round Russian.

MacTruck 07-22-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poozer (Post 35272787)
Well that is exciting, its always good to get more options. And what was he.. a 7th? The fact he's coming to NA is already exceeding the expectations for a 7th round Russian.

He went 7th round because he was comitted to the KHL. He was a projected top 100 pick. He said he would finish out his contract in Russia then sign in N.A.

I think this kid is severely under-rated. Went 1st overall in the KHL draft in 2009 and he lit it up over there. Could be a dark-horse to make the team.

DrSutton* 07-22-2011 11:40 AM

If anything, gives us more trade options down the line, but excited to see what this kid can do over here.

free0717 07-22-2011 11:42 AM

If he is right handed, he has a chance to make the club this year.

Levitate 07-22-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In Gordie We Trust (Post 35273005)
I think this kid is severely under-rated. Went 1st overall in the KHL draft in 2009 and he lit it up over there. Could be a dark-horse to make the team.

Uh, he went first overall because teams knew that he wasn't going to NA anytime soon, and the draft doesn't work the same way as it does here (players generally are developed from a young age by teams and stick with those teams instead of being drafted, and the draft is just for all the players who aren't affiliated)

He also didn't light it up at all

jniklast 07-22-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

He went 7th round because he was comitted to the KHL. He was a projected top 100 pick. He said he would finish out his contract in Russia then sign in N.A.

He didn't light anything up.over there and the KHL draft is a supplemental draft and not comparable to the NHL entry draft.

I'm not that high on him, but the fact that he's coming over is a good thing nonetheless.

YatQB 07-22-2011 11:44 AM

Anyone know how big he is

at this point? He was a bit small for an NHL defenseman last I saw, despite playing a very physical game.

nyr2k2 07-22-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Did you read the Rangers 20 in 20 on Pashnin? Because you're repeating a lot of what they said, which is somewhat inaccurate. If not, my apologies.

Pashin wasn't drafted earlier because he was a late bloomer, and quite frankly, wasn't considered to be anything special. I don't ever recall anyone talking about him as a guy to be picked in the top three rounds. He was ranked in the 130s amongst European skaters in both the final and midterm CSS rankings, which isn't even close to a top 100 player.

He went first overall in the KHL draft, which was a "best of the rest" type of thing. It's a draft where teams protected their best players, and left the rest open to a dispersal draft. All the really good young players were already part of an organization and protected. Not that being the first pick in that draft is meaningless, but it means far less than you seem to think.

And he certainly didn't "tear it up." He played better as the season progressed, after being sent down a level for a handful of games in (I believe) January. He had a decent season, but far from the type of season you'd expect from a guy you consider to be a "dark horse candidate" to make the team.

I think this kid is massively overhyped by people that haven't even seen the kid skate. That's not to say he won't become a player for us, but people seriously need to temper their hopes.

ColonialsHockey10 07-22-2011 12:04 PM

Pashnin did not light up the KHL. If he did he would not be coming to the NA to play in the AHL/ECHL.

The best is people who think he will have a Scott Steven's type of physical impact. :laugh:

Beacon 07-22-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Every word of this is wrong.

1. The Rangers knew he wanted to come over and so did other teams. He made it very clear before the draft.

2. He was never ranked as a top prospect.

3. He never lit up the KHL. Last season he barely made a non-playoff KHL team, and at one point midway through the season was sent down.

4. The KHL draft is nothing like the NHL entry draft. It is more or less a waiver draft because only the low-end guys get exposed to it.

5. He is not under-rated and is in fact overrated because everyone who has no clue about how the KHL draft works thinks he's a superstar. Almost every supporter of Pashnin writes, "but he was drafted first overall in Russia!"

The lack of supporters for Pashnin among people who at least know basic facts about the KHL is what scares me.

6. Anyone who brings up that Pashnin went #1 overall in the KHL is obviously not qualified to discuss him or any other Russian prospect.

7. The kid has the body of Brian Leetch, but plays like Jeff Beukeboom. I am not sure that an undersized wannabe-tough guy can survive in the NHL.

jniklast 07-22-2011 12:27 PM

The KHL draft is not a waiver draft, it's a draft where players not in the systems of KHL clubs are drafted. In Europe clubs have their own youth teams and that is where most of the high-profile prospects play. Hence the KHL draft has much lower quality prospects from lower league teams and also some foreigners are drafted in the later rounds with the hope that if they don't make the NHL they come to the KHL.

In the end this means that Pashnin was only the best Russian prospect that was not already at a top club.

And what people also seem to forget: He was an overager when drafted

Wraparounds 07-22-2011 12:29 PM

It's good to get your prospects to hop the pond. Should be nice to have more defensive depth in CT.

offdacrossbar 07-22-2011 12:30 PM

i think the truth lies somewhere in the middle on this kid.

he seems to be on the radar as slats and torts both seem to have noticed him.

his style is somewhat similar to kasparaitis in that hes undersized but willing to hit anything that moves. his physicality cant be overlooked. in fact, thats exactly whats got him noticed. hes got a high end motor and a good understanding of what to do and where to go. hes pretty smart and seems to get it.

as for his upside, its probably a stretch to pencil him in this season. his overall game is some what limited to playing 3rd pair and perhaps some pk and thats if he earns a full time gig with the big club.

for now, i expect him to come over and be part of the top 6 for the whale.

assuming he does well and continues to learn the language and improve his game, he will be someone to keep an eye on down the road.

nyr2k2 07-22-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offdacrossbar (Post 35274577)
i think the truth lies somewhere in the middle on this kid.

he seems to be on the radar as slats and torts both seem to have noticed him.

his style is somewhat similar to kasparaitis in that hes undersized but willing to hit anything that moves. his physicality cant be overlooked. in fact, thats exactly whats got him noticed. hes got a high end motor and a good understanding of what to do and where to go. hes pretty smart and seems to get it.

as for his upside, its probably a stretch to pencil him in this season. his overall game is some what limited to playing 3rd pair and perhaps some pk and thats if he earns a full time gig with the big club.

for now, i expect him to come over and be part of the top 6 for the whale.

assuming he does well and continues to learn the language and improve his game, he will be someone to keep an eye on down the road.

That last part I think is the key. He's certainly a guy worth keeping an eye on. I can't imagine he's close to NHL-ready at this point though.

Darrelle Lundqvist 07-22-2011 12:33 PM

Good. Let him develop well in CT.

n1cON 07-22-2011 12:35 PM

Great news, but I think heŽll need a full season in HFD to acclimate to the NA style of play. But next year he can become a serious contender for a roster spot on the big club.

WeŽll have to wait until trainingcamp is over and where heŽll be put by the coaches... Personally I donŽt think he can beat Vtank, Erixon, Ktek this year. The last 3 I mentioned will play it out for the 3rd pairing of the Rangers. (If Eminger is re-signed there are 2 spots open)

NYR Viper 07-22-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 35274233)
Every word of this is wrong.

1. The Rangers knew he wanted to come over and so did other teams. He made it very clear before the draft.

2. He was never ranked as a top prospect.

3. He never lit up the KHL. Last season he barely made a non-playoff KHL team, and at one point midway through the season was sent down.

4. The KHL draft is nothing like the NHL entry draft. It is more or less a waiver draft because only the low-end guys get exposed to it.

5. He is not under-rated and is in fact overrated because everyone who has no clue about how the KHL draft works thinks he's a superstar. Almost every supporter of Pashnin writes, "but he was drafted first overall in Russia!"

The lack of supporters for Pashnin among people who at least know basic facts about the KHL is what scares me.

6. Anyone who brings up that Pashnin went #1 overall in the KHL is obviously not qualified to discuss him or any other Russian prospect.

7. The kid has the body of Brian Leetch, but plays like Jeff Beukeboom. I am not sure that an undersized wannabe-tough guy can survive in the NHL.

He plays the game exactly like Darius Kasparitis........

He also played some games where he got 20+ minutes of playing time in the KHL, which is a better league than the AHL.

He has skills and teams were afraid to take him because of the fact that he would be able to make more money by staying in Russia and he was already passed over in the NHL Entry Draft (He was not 18 when he was drafted).

All-in-all he is a good prospect and the fact that he actually has a shot to make the NHL team this year (which he does), as a 7th rounder, is already a great draft pick.

I also believe that he was sent down to get back in shape after an injury in the middle of the season and play lots of minutes. He went back down after his KHL team was eliminated and anchored that teams 1st pairing all the way to that leagues championship.

He had 5 points in 16 games in the playoffs with 60 PIM's and a +1.

The fact a 20-21 year old has played in the KHL for (2) seasons already is a good sign. The kid knows how to hit and be aggressive and he is a warrior.

Beacon 07-22-2011 12:39 PM

His coming over IS good news because his game is more suited for North America and it would allow him to show what he is worth. I would be very glad to have him establish himself as a top-4 defenseman in the AHL.

That said, I will take Noreau over Pashnin. Bigger, tougher, could be either a real blueliner or a goon, skates just as well, much younger so has more time to develop.

gotmonte 07-22-2011 12:42 PM

he didnt light it up in the KHL, wasnt he sent down mid-season because of his play?

There was a discussion on here about him. Said he was the first overall pick and then while playing the season with good linemates, he was sent down mid-season.

NYR Viper 07-22-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 35274909)
His coming over IS good news because his game is more suited for North America and it would allow him to show what he is worth. I would be very glad to have him establish himself as a top-4 defenseman in the AHL.

That said, I will take Noreau over Pashnin. Bigger, tougher, could be either a real blueliner or a goon, skates just as well, much younger so has more time to develop.

Pashnin is much closer than Noreau at making the NHL. I understand the size thing but the kid is stocky. He is about 6'0 195-200lbs. Thats a pretty good size. And he hits to hurt....