HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Vancouver confirmed! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=95743)

hockey_nut 08-04-2004 02:40 PM

Vancouver confirmed!
 
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/wha/news21.html

RyanM 08-04-2004 02:47 PM

What a shock, another announced WHA team with no lease in place yet :eek: .

Toronto is already out(http://www.tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=93575) and slowly the rest will all end up like them, complaining a lease can't be done then eventually shutting down a league that STILL does not have any building leases in place(that i've seen) or 1 player or coach under contract just 2 1/2 months before it's supposed to start :lol .

This thing had some major potential, but they've wasted it and time is running out to get it back.

hockey_nut 08-04-2004 02:49 PM

time's just about run out... this is looking pretty damn pathetic

Russian_fanatic 08-04-2004 03:06 PM

Hey if Van is confirmed great, but I still wont watch it...

Lard_Lad 08-04-2004 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanM
Toronto is already out(http://www.tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=93575) and slowly the rest will all end up like them, complaining a lease can't be done then eventually shutting down a league that STILL does not have any building leases in place(that i've seen) or 1 player or coach under contract just 2 1/2 months before it's supposed to start :lol .

To be fair, Detroit does have a lease at the Silverdome and has Moe Mantha signed to coach. But that's it.

Avery4Byng* 08-04-2004 07:28 PM

I agree it sounds like a joke. But come October when there is no NHL I just MIGHT tune into some games...... :shakehead

incawg 08-04-2004 07:35 PM

The team name will be the Vancouver Blazers, as it was the last time the WHA was in town. It also sounds like a deal to play in GM Place is very close.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...04_153028_3020

mikefavata 08-04-2004 11:30 PM

What a joke.

Lard_Lad 08-05-2004 12:35 AM

Interesting that Orca Bay would let them into GM Place (if that's true - we've seen that kind of "optimism" from the WHA before.) Seems a bit strange to allow a competitor to use your building, even if the NHL is locked out, but it'd also give an NHL club some serious power over the WHA. If they dictate the lease terms, the second the Blazers have trouble making a payment (and you know it's going to happen), the Canucks can boot them out and they're suddenly homeless. Not good for the WHA.

Russian_fanatic 08-05-2004 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tray
I agree it sounds like a joke. But come October when there is no NHL I just MIGHT tune into some games...... :shakehead

You got the Kelowna Rockets :shakehead

Avery4Byng* 08-05-2004 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
You got the Kelowna Rockets :shakehead

Yes very true, and I have season tickets as well. But I mean come on, what a winter without Hockey Night In Canada........ :shakehead

Papa Smurf 08-05-2004 01:03 PM

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead


Jusy keepin' it alive. :)

Scottkmlps 08-05-2004 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incawg
The team name will be the Vancouver Blazers, as it was the last time the WHA was in town. It also sounds like a deal to play in GM Place is very close.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...04_153028_3020

No, it might not be the Blazers. They need permission from the Kamloops Blazers to use the name 'Blazers' cause of legal matters.
That's just what I heard on the radio this morning.

incawg 08-06-2004 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottkmlps
No, it might not be the Blazers. They need permission from the Kamloops Blazers to use the name 'Blazers' cause of legal matters.
That's just what I heard on the radio this morning.

Erm, that seems a bit odd to me. It's not like the Dallas franchise needed permission from the Rochester Americans to use that name. Besides, the original WHA team in Vancouver (in the mid 70s) was called the Blazers. It seems to me that they would only need permission if they were going to be using the same logo.

Papa Smurf 08-06-2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incawg
Erm, that seems a bit odd to me. It's not like the Dallas franchise needed permission from the Rochester Americans to use that name. Besides, the original WHA team in Vancouver (in the mid 70s) was called the Blazers. It seems to me that they would only need permission if they were going to be using the same logo.

The Winnipeg Jets needed permission from the NFL's NY Jets.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.