HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Nabokov can be traded and will report to camp (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=957505)

periferal 07-25-2011 03:30 PM

Nabokov can be traded and will report to camp
 
While it's been hinted at a lot I think this is the first time I've seen it be made official by someone in the know...


James Mirtle
Bill Daly says that Evgeni Nabokov will NOT have to clear waivers in order to be traded by the Islanders. If that's the route they go.

http://twitter.com/#!/mirtle

IslesNorway 07-25-2011 04:01 PM

Good. He can be a nice part of a trade package.

Doug Height 07-25-2011 04:25 PM

Every team in the league seems to be set on goalies right now, not sure what Snow will be able to do with him. Might have to wait for an injury.

SLAPSHOT723 07-25-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Height (Post 35361709)
Every team in the league seems to be set on goalies right now, not sure what Snow will be able to do with him. Might have to wait for an injury.

Teams could always use an upgrade, which I think Nabokov could be on most teams. Remember just last year Niemi became a free agent and was signed by the Sharks, while the team was pretty much set on Niittymaki and Greiss handling the tandem. If a team like say Chicago isn't thrilled with starting the season with a Crawford/Salak tandem, they make take Nabokov.

Renbarg 07-25-2011 05:03 PM

Old news. He could have been traded since july 1st without passing through waivers (that's when the new season officially begins).

He'll get traded somewhere, although I doubt he nets more than a mid-round pick. Maybe Phoenix could be an option...

OlTimeHockey 07-25-2011 05:35 PM

Detroit has Ty friggen Conklin now. They might bite.

ziggy7716 07-25-2011 05:58 PM

Nabokov won't be traded, he's going to be on the team atleast through the beginning of the season. He will be in camp come september

4straight 07-25-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesNorway (Post 35361021)
Good. He can be a nice part of a trade package.

exactly what went through my head when i saw the title of this thread

jerseyislander22 07-25-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Height (Post 35361709)
Every team in the league seems to be set on goalies right now, not sure what Snow will be able to do with him. Might have to wait for an injury.

pretty sure Sens, Leafs, Caps, Blue Jackets, Stars, Oilers and Coyotes would all show some interest. They are far from set in goalies

kbarbdamnit 07-25-2011 06:29 PM

I wonder if his no movement clause will make him difficult to trade. Will he be really picky as far as what teams he is traded to or will the fact that he's with the Islanders mean any team that's likely to make it to the playoffs would be ok to trade him to?

jerseyislander22 07-25-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbarbdamnit (Post 35365463)
I wonder if his no movement clause will make him difficult to trade. Will he be really picky as far as what teams he is traded to or will the fact that he's with the Islanders mean any team that's likely to make it to the playoffs would be ok to trade him to?

Doubt it... i'd be shocked if he has any say where he goes. Personally i'd love for him to go to Pheonix ;)

Sidney the Kidney 07-25-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyislander22 (Post 35364993)
pretty sure Sens, Leafs, Caps, Blue Jackets, Stars, Oilers and Coyotes would all show some interest. They are far from set in goalies

Weren't following the free agency period? :help:

Caps signed Vokoun to that ridiculously team-friendly cap hit of $1.5 million. They also have two very good youngsters in Holtby and Neuvirth.

Also at this stage of his career, I don't think Nabokov is an upgrade over Reimer, Mason, or Lehtonen. And the Oilers already have an old goalie who is more proven (playoff-wise) than Nabokov in Khabibulin.

Coyotes and Sens are the only ones on that list that might need a goalie, and with the Sens rebuilding, I doubt they'd pay any sort of decent price to acquire a 36-year old. Not to mention the fact they re-signed Craig Anderson for another 4 years. So on further reflection, scratch them off the list, too.

Doug Height 07-25-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyislander22 (Post 35364993)
pretty sure Sens, Leafs, Caps, Blue Jackets, Stars, Oilers and Coyotes would all show some interest. They are far from set in goalies

Huh?

Sens - Anderson/Auld
Leafs - Reimer/Gustavsson
Caps - Vokoun/Neuvirth
BJ's - Mason/Dekanich
Stars - Lehtonen/Raycroft
Oilers - Dubnyk/Khabibulin
Coyotes - Smith/Labarbera

They all look pretty set to me.

Coyotes goalies suck but they just signed them both to one way deals, so I would think they plan on having them both on the team. Maybe the BJ's could use him but they also just signed Dekanich to a one way deal.

Doug Height 07-25-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney (Post 35365903)
Weren't following the free agency period? :help:

Caps signed Vokoun to that ridiculously team-friendly cap hit of $1.5 million. They also have two very good youngsters in Holtby and Neuvirth.

Also at this stage of his career, I don't think Nabokov is an upgrade over Reimer, Mason, or Lehtonen. And the Oilers already have an old goalie who is more proven (playoff-wise) than Nabokov in Khabibulin.

Coyotes and Sens are the only ones on that list that might need a goalie, and with the Sens rebuilding, I doubt they'd pay any sort of decent price to acquire a 36-year old. Not to mention the fact they re-signed Craig Anderson for another 4 years. So on further reflection, scratch them off the list, too.

They also just signed Auld.

jerseyislander22 07-25-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Height (Post 35365991)
Huh?

Sens - Anderson/Auld
Leafs - Reimer/Gustavsson
Caps - Vokoun/Neuvirth
BJ's - Mason/Dekanich
Stars - Lehtonen/Raycroft
Oilers - Dubnyk/Khabibulin
Coyotes - Smith/Labarbera

They all look pretty set to me.

Coyotes goalies suck but they just signed them both to one way deals, so I would think they plan on having them both on the team. Maybe the BJ's could use him but they also just signed Dekanich to a one way deal.

r u kidding me lol? the wigns were gonna bring him in when they had howard and Osgood so dont kid yourself.
-Anderson has beeen shakey and yeah head had a good stint, but if the Sens are struggling to make the playoffs why not have an upgrade over Auld.
-Caps have Vokoun, but you think for a second they wouldn't want Nabokov in the playoffs they really need to get deep in the playoffs this year
-Blue Jackets... i dont have to say anything here
-Stars again dont have to defend that
-Oilers when Bulin goes down there gonna need someone to help hold the fort down or those young kids are gonna suffer
-Coyotes haha Smith? yeah they have no one they could use something to make it look like there at least trying

People are kidding themselves if they think those teams are set... and honestly were not even set, but given the circumstances rather just trade nabby and get something back even a bag of pucks

jerseyislander22 07-25-2011 07:18 PM

Oh I forgot the LEAFS lol yeah there far from set too

jerseyislander22 07-25-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney (Post 35365903)
Weren't following the free agency period? :help:

Caps signed Vokoun to that ridiculously team-friendly cap hit of $1.5 million. They also have two very good youngsters in Holtby and Neuvirth.

Also at this stage of his career, I don't think Nabokov is an upgrade over Reimer, Mason, or Lehtonen. And the Oilers already have an old goalie who is more proven (playoff-wise) than Nabokov in Khabibulin.

Coyotes and Sens are the only ones on that list that might need a goalie, and with the Sens rebuilding, I doubt they'd pay any sort of decent price to acquire a 36-year old. Not to mention the fact they re-signed Craig Anderson for another 4 years. So on further reflection, scratch them off the list, too.

Yeah I followed it and Vokoun is not there savior to help them get deep into the playoffs... not saying Nabby is, but come on dont kid yourself

Doug Height 07-25-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyislander22 (Post 35366947)
r u kidding me lol?

Um, no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyislander22 (Post 35366947)
-Anderson has beeen shakey and yeah head had a good stint, but if the Sens are struggling to make the playoffs why not have an upgrade over Auld.

They just signed Anderson to an extension, and signed Auld as a UFA to be their backup. Nope they ain't trading for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyislander22 (Post 35366947)
-Caps have Vokoun, but you think for a second they wouldn't want Nabokov in the playoffs they really need to get deep in the playoffs this year

Vokoun and Neuvirth are both light years better than Nabakov.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyislander22 (Post 35366947)
-Oilers when Bulin goes down there gonna need someone to help hold the fort down or those young kids are gonna suffer

As I said in my first post, might have to wait for an injury

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyislander22 (Post 35366947)
-Coyotes haha Smith? yeah they have no one they could use something to make it look like there at least trying

Smith and Labarbera are signed to one way deals, for a team that doesn't even have an owner right now, I don't think they would be signing these guys to one way deals unless they planned on having them in the NHL.

I am not saying it is impossible that any of these teams will trade for him, but they all have 2 goalies at the moment. Someone would need to be sent down/waived/traded/injured etc...

Sidney the Kidney 07-25-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyislander22 (Post 35367047)
Yeah I followed it and Vokoun is not there savior to help them get deep into the playoffs... not saying Nabby is, but come on dont kid yourself

Vokoun has been considered one of the top ten goalies in the league these past few years, and that's while playing on a horrible Florida team. Nabokov, playing on a much stronger San Jose team, has not.

Sure, it's unknown whether he can carry that stellar play into the playoffs, but I'm not sure how Nabokov -- who is a notorious playoff choker and why San Jose decided to cut ties with him -- is more of a sure thing.

I'm not sure what else to say if you truly believe Nabokov is some kind of upgrade over Vokoun, or some kind of clutch playoff performer.

Brunomics 07-25-2011 08:49 PM

Personally if he's interested in reporting to training camp and playing for the Isles I'm keeping him. With your top 2 as Montoya/DP and with unproven goalies in the minors I think it's worth it more to the team to keep him than get rid of him for a 5th round pick or whatever they can get for him.

RafterRat 07-25-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunomics (Post 35369313)
Personally if he's interested in reporting to training camp and playing for the Isles I'm keeping him. With your top 2 as Montoya/DP and with unproven goalies in the minors I think it's worth it more to the team to keep him than get rid of him for a 5th round pick or whatever they can get for him.

^^^^^
+1

seafoam 07-25-2011 09:21 PM

He's gonna be "Hemskied". Garth will hold on to him until the deadline, OR an injury when his value is at it's highest and get something solid for him and we'll be back on here praising Garth for making something out of nothing. Didn't a man named Kris Versteeg reel in a first rounder for a deseprate team around the deadline?

In a draft as strong as 2012's, I would hope Garth signs one or two more guys to sell as well during the deadline. We need one more draft under Klatt to really make this team elite and stocked for the future.

Hipietro 07-25-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunomics (Post 35369313)
Personally if he's interested in reporting to training camp and playing for the Isles I'm keeping him. With your top 2 as Montoya/DP and with unproven goalies in the minors I think it's worth it more to the team to keep him than get rid of him for a 5th round pick or whatever they can get for him.

I agree here. If he's willing to report we should definately give him a shot to compete for the starting or backup spot. DP's body is made of looseleaf paper, and who knows if Montoya can keep up his good play for a full season.

As much as I thought he was a piece of **** last year, I'm all for keeping Nabokov around.

jerseyislander22 07-26-2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney (Post 35368793)
Vokoun has been considered one of the top ten goalies in the league these past few years, and that's while playing on a horrible Florida team. Nabokov, playing on a much stronger San Jose team, has not.

Sure, it's unknown whether he can carry that stellar play into the playoffs, but I'm not sure how Nabokov -- who is a notorious playoff choker and why San Jose decided to cut ties with him -- is more of a sure thing.

I'm not sure what else to say if you truly believe Nabokov is some kind of upgrade over Vokoun, or some kind of clutch playoff performer.

Nabokov was not considered a top ten goalie for years.... idk about that I'm not trying to claim Nabokov is gonna get us a ton of stuff in a trade... but to say these teams are set in goalie is just a joke in my opinion. Everyone is down on his value and ability cuz he went to russia and played **** hockey.

As far as San Jose cutting ties with him i just dont see how that holds much value in this discussion think he just kinda priced himself out a little there idk. I think Nabokov will garner plenty of interest, not just from teams that have no goaltending at all, but from teams that do have goaltending and are playoff contendors. He'll probably be worth more though if he starts off the season with the Isles and then gets traded.

jerseyislander22 07-26-2011 12:45 AM

I think the main thing people have to focus on is that you can't assume these teams won't be in the market for another goaltender once the season is underway, and that for the cap hit he comes with it's not like he can't go to pretty much any team. I didn't base this on a trade coming 2morrow lol... I'm basing this on a couple teams that i dont think have much of anything on goaltending and a couple teams that could ues an extra push.

Just my opinion, but I dont think having back up goaltenders on one way deals for one year or whatever makes that much difference. Maybe i'm just crazy:D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.