HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rumor: Furry Fever: Pens to Host 2012 Draft? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=958025)

Big McLargehuge 07-26-2011 12:22 PM

Furry Fever: Pens to Host 2012 Draft?

According to TPB it seems likely.

Riggs 07-26-2011 12:31 PM

That would be cool...I've been wanting to go to the draft for a few years now.

Of course, we all know what happened last time the draft was in Pittsburgh...Robert Dome.

I wonder what d-men will be available?

Beauner 07-26-2011 12:32 PM

With the new barn it was almost a given. Hopefully we can get the ASG in a few years too.

Big McLargehuge 07-26-2011 12:39 PM

I didn't expect to get a draft for a while. It'll probably still be a good 5 years until an All Star Game since the list of teams deserving one is so long.

SomeDude 07-26-2011 12:40 PM

Yea, ive known about this for around 2 weeks. I'm cool like that.

TheRollingPuck 07-26-2011 01:17 PM

Oh dear, this will only feed the trolls.

Rob Scuderi 07-26-2011 01:20 PM

Minnesota had their official announcement in April '10. We're in July already and have no announcement so hopefully it'll come soon. These things are usually free too so as a nerd who loves the draft there really can't be better news.

Beauner 07-26-2011 01:23 PM

That would suck if we traded our first in the year the draft is here :laugh:

JTG 07-26-2011 01:23 PM

Very awesome. This is the kind of stuff that I was excited about when the arena was being built...

Rob Scuderi 07-26-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedberg1 (Post 35390719)

Shero will pull a Lombardi and trade up for a player like Forbort ;)

jmelm 07-26-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi (Post 35391031)
Shero will pull a Lombardi and trade up for a player like Forbort ;)

Nice ;)

I'm a fan of trading up when it's appropriate. I think as of now we have all of our picks in 2012, right? Having those picks gives us the flexibility to do that if needed, and it's also supposed to be a strong draft next year so hopefully we most/all of our picks.

Sideline 07-26-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedberg1 (Post 35390719)

This draft is super deep for defencemen. Shero will need to restrain himself from hoarding picks this year :laugh:

MrBurgundy* 07-26-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideline (Post 35392495)
This draft is super deep for defencemen. Shero will need to restrain himself from hoarding picks this year :laugh:

I guess we all should be prepared for another year where we go d-man first.

JTG 07-26-2011 02:18 PM

We will be turning into Nashville North if we draft more defensemen.

MrBurgundy* 07-26-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTG (Post 35392677)

At least Shero has proven he is willing to trade his defensemen to address his team's weaknesses.

JTG 07-26-2011 02:41 PM

Absolutely. And with the market how it is, the more offensively gifted defensemen you have, the higher on the hog you are living.

What I like is if you step back and look at our whole defensive roster (NHL & AHL), you can completely see how things may work down the line.

The only thing we are really missing in that stable of blueliners is another Brooks Orpik, which I think we may see drafted soon. Just a downright mean, nasty, stay at home, good for 10 points a year, defenseman.

MrBurgundy* 07-26-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTG (Post 35393551)
Absolutely. And with the market how it is, the more offensively gifted defensemen you have, the higher on the hog you are living.

What I like is if you step back and look at our whole defensive roster (NHL & AHL), you can completely see how things may work down the line.

The only thing we are really missing in that stable of blueliners is another Brooks Orpik, which I think we may see drafted soon. Just a downright mean, nasty, stay at home, good for 10 points a year, defenseman.

I mean we have in order of age...

Orpik - 30
Martin - 30
Engelland - 29
Michalek - 28
Lovejoy - 27
Niskanen - 24
Letang - 24
Sneep - 23
Strait - 23
Grant - 22
Bortuzzo - 22
D'Agostino - 21
Velischek - 20
Samuelsson - 20
Rogalski - 19
Despres - 19
McNeill - 19
Morrow - 18
Harrington - 18

Obviously not all of those guys are going to make the NHL, but that's a deep crop of defensemen.

Ugene Malkin 07-26-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riggs (Post 35388893)
That would be cool...I've been wanting to go to the draft for a few years now.

Of course, we all know what happened last time the draft was in Pittsburgh...Robert Dome.

I wonder what d-men will be available?

I was there and had my hat signed by him, anyone want it?:laugh:

I'll be going to this one if I can and take the boy.

Darth Vitale 07-26-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

With the minor caveat that we have two C who are better than any forward that has ever played for Nashville in the franchise's short history, and more forward depth than that team has ever had. In which case, drafting like Nashville North... probably not a bad idea as long as we keep most of that offensive talent signed for several years.

BPA. I'm a believer the older I get. Especially in the lower half of the first round. Also a believer in trading up though, if we're stacked and we can move a couple picks to get one really talented F. Not a believer in drafting a winger just because it happens to be our least deep position. Shero has shown you can fill gaps with decent wingers in FA most years (if you're in a pinch). And because we'll never be drafting early enough to get someone who will be NHL ready right away, even more reason not to draft a winger unless a winger is BPA at our slot.

JTG 07-26-2011 10:27 PM

It was more towards the fact that regardless of how stacked Nashville's blue line is, they are drafting defensemen highly. They like them early and often, and in all kinds of shapes and styles. Not that it's a bad thing. I think if you're going to invest a draft pick, no where better than in a good defenseman.

Darth Vitale 07-26-2011 10:29 PM

Yah. And as we've seen, even D who don't fit our system, but who are talented enough to fit elsewhere... make great trade bait. Thank you Ryan Whitney. And technically Goginovksi, though that was a pretty even swap whereas we hosed Anaheim in that deal. Especially if Tangradi proves to be a solid 25G guy with an edge.

TopShelfGoal 07-27-2011 12:08 AM

I lol'd at that article on TribLive when the only picture they could find of CEC was a game when the Pens were down 3 -0 to the Canadiens. I mean, really, c'mon...if you're gonna showcase the CEC, at least put a pic of a game they are winning.

66-29-33 07-27-2011 12:12 AM

IIRC first 3 or 4 rounds are FULL of Dmen. I can see Shero trading for several picks in the upcoming draft. He loves Dmen and this draft he will be in heaven! it's going to be a deep draft again, thankfully. I HATE weak drafts....

Kane One 07-27-2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoarDefense (Post 35390531)
Oh dear, this will only feed the trolls.

Honestly, I think it's a great idea.

Lamar Latrell 07-27-2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

I was initially skeptical of the dman-centric asset strategy, but almost every team has room for a d-man. If you focus on centers, certain teams won't be interested, ie. Pens, King, Flyers, Bruins. Or if you focus generally on forwards and a couple LW pan-out and you don't have space for them all. Several franchises (Pens are an example again) wouldn't find value in trading a quality player/prospect for a specific position in which they are already well-positioned.

It's much easier to trade Simon Despres for a position where you are lacking than Jeremy Morin or Taylor Beck b/c there are a lot more trading partners and therefore potential fits.