HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Proposal: Gutaffson-Perreault (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=958359)

Mystlyfe 07-26-2011 08:54 PM

Gutaffson-Perreault

I apologize if I'm way off base here or if there's a better thread to post this in (didn't see any sort of master thread for trades/roster moves/etc).

How do you all feel about a trade centered around Erik Gustaffson and Mathieu Perreault?

From the Capitals perspective, Gustafsson would be an upgrade over McNeill as the #8 on the depth chart (probably playing a good portion of the season in Hershey), and would ensure that Orlov gets a full season in the AHL. And with Perreault no longer being waiver exempt, there's a chance that the Capitals could lose him for nothing if he doesn't crack the roster out of camp.

Perreault offers the Flyers scoring depth. Eight of your top nine appear to be set, and you guys still have plenty of center depth (especially in the young player/prospect area), but your 13th/14th forward spots seem to be pretty questionable, especially if a top 6 forward goes down to injury. Perreault offers you an energy player with offensive pop who can be plugged into the Top 6/9 in a scoring role in case of injury/slump. If converted to wing, he could potentially challenge Nodl for the 3LW spot as well.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Blatant trolling?

VanSciver 07-26-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 35404847)
I apologize if I'm way off base here or if there's a better thread to post this in (didn't see any sort of master thread for trades/roster moves/etc).

How do you all feel about a trade centered around Erik Gustaffson and Mathieu Perreault?

From the Capitals perspective, Gustafsson would be an upgrade over McNeill as the #8 on the depth chart (probably playing a good portion of the season in Hershey), and would ensure that Orlov gets a full season in the AHL. And with Perreault no longer being waiver exempt, there's a chance that the Capitals could lose him for nothing if he doesn't crack the roster out of camp.

Perreault offers the Flyers scoring depth. Eight of your top nine appear to be set, and you guys still have plenty of center depth (especially in the young player/prospect area), but your 13th/14th forward spots seem to be pretty questionable, especially if a top 6 forward goes down to injury. Perreault offers you an energy player with offensive pop who can be plugged into the Top 6/9 in a scoring role in case of injury/slump. If converted to wing, he could potentially challenge Nodl for the 3LW spot as well.

I don't see the Flyers trading a young defenseman for another Forward. The Flyers are pretty thin on defense prospects.

Garbage Goal 07-26-2011 09:03 PM

What the above poster said. Even disregarding that, it's a pretty unnecessary trade.

RoDu 07-26-2011 09:48 PM

pass

hockeyfreak7 07-26-2011 11:47 PM

I'm a huge Perreault fan. He's really Briere-lite, and I love watching him play and hated when the Caps would send him down.

That being said, the Flyers are in no situation to be trading a defensive prospect who looks like he might one day develop top four ability. I'm really hoping Gustafsson turns into one of those under the radar defenders, not very flashy guys who gets by with a solid skill set and a good hockey head.

So, yes, I want him to be Kimmo Timonen 2.0 :cry:

PhilaFlyers 07-26-2011 11:59 PM

Yeah we really have no other d prospects.

markzab 07-27-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers (Post 35410789)
Yeah we really have no other d prospects.

Somewhere...Kevin Marshall is crying. ;)

4thline4life 07-27-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 35404847)

why would the flyers trade their top d prospect for someone they could potentially get for nothing. that's where this fails

BillyShoe1721 07-27-2011 12:49 PM

The value's not that bad and I really like Perreault as a player, but it just doesn't fit our needs. We need a guy like Gustafsson, whereas we really don't need Perreault.

Mystlyfe 07-27-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIceman26 (Post 35423139)
why would the flyers trade their top d prospect for someone they could potentially get for nothing. that's where this fails

Because there's no guarantee that Perreault doesn't make the Caps, and even more to the point, the Flyers aren't very high in the waiver order so there'd be no guarantee that the Flyers would get him even if they claimed him.