HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Speculation: Offseason Movement Thread III (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=958869)

usiel 07-27-2011 04:01 PM

Offseason Movement Thread III (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Only six or so weeks more of 'offseason'.

Previous thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=944171

HTFN 07-27-2011 07:49 PM

DJ King wasn't the heavyweight I expected him to be. I know SDR didn't produce, but I'd probably still rather have his sandpaper than King's stupidity.

exwhaler 07-27-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

MP NEVER got a serious look on a regular basis on the Caps.
Yes he stayed for a while but multiple times played with 4th liners in a limited role or simply was given very limited ice time.

MoJo was given 10 times more occasions to succeed on the Caps than MP last season.....nothing against MoJo personally but MP is still the next in line skillwise and upside potentialwise.
As EroCap and txpd pointed out in the other thread...yeah, he did get a good look.

When Perreault and Johansson were on the same squad together and players were healthy, Perreault was frequently placed on the second line with Semin and Laich, while Johansson was regulated on the third with Chimera and Fehr. In December, Perreault was averaging roughly 13 and a half minutes a game before he got hit in the face with a puck. They brought him back slowly, so he averaged about 10 minutes a game from January 1 through 16, but when he was given more ice time (7 games with more than 13 minutes ATOI after that), he performed badly or was simply ineffective and thus lost icetime in several games. His monthly stats reflect his offensive streakiness:

December: 5 goals--with two 2-goal games--0 assists, and +3 in 9 games
January: 0 goals, 1 assist, and -4 in 12 games
February: 2 goals, 4 assists, and -5 in 11 games (offense in 4 games, with a good 3-game run from Feb. 1 through 6)

Johansson's stats in January and February:

January--3 goals, 3 assists, and -1 in 12 games (offense in 5 games)
February--3 goals, 3 assists, and +1 in 12 games (offense in 6 games)

The story here is consistency; Johansson contributed offensively in more games than Perreault despite less offensively inclined teammates, and was fairly consistent in his performance, adjustments, and development. That, plus the fact that Johansson is the more versatile center (in that he's become a legit PKer and is more a two-way defenseman than Perreault, who needs to rely on his offensive output to be an effective contributor) led MoJo to get more overall icetime and eventually sent Perreault back to Hershey.

Perreault has had a legit shot, frequently in high-profile situations, but has failed to show the consistency that would keep him in at those positions. Johansson got his chances because he earned them, and when placed in a high profile situation--such as his time with Ovechkin in March during Backstrom's injury--he more than performed. Perreault needs to do the same. Simple as that.

RandyHolt 07-27-2011 09:47 PM

DJ King didnt get much of chance to ever shake out the rust. When he got into a few games in a row in the spring I think it was, he looked as good as the other 4th liners did. He didnt cost us any games, didnt take dumb penalties, and I think when he was dressed, teams didnt take liberties with us. Bruce favors an all skill league, of course with our horses, he wants teams to run and gun with us, not pound our skill guys. All those years in the AHL watching shenanigans may have taken its toll as well.

Problem is, George has a different vision. George likes his toughness. Chimera Bradley Hendricks King Erskine Brouwer are a few examples of this. Drafting SDR Mitchell Bruess, getting Paquette.

I actually think King in the playoffs could have done as good a job as Hendricks did. No worries going to fight on a 2 on 1, there is no fighting in the playoffs anymore.

HTFN 07-28-2011 04:22 AM

What about Chris Drury on the cheap to keep Johansson or Laich out of the 3C spot?

Just idle thoughts, I'm not sure if he's better suited to a third or fourth line role at this point, but it would again increase the work ethic of our bottom 6, at least. I think (not sure) that it would push Sjogren out of the immediate roster, though, which I'm hesitant to do until they at least see what he's got at big boy's camp.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Laich - Johansson - Semin
Brouwer - Drury - Ward
Chimera - Halpern - Hendricks
Sjogren?/Beagle/Hanson or King or something.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone.

Seems like the third line would turn into a real heart and soul effort type line, with Brouwer and Laich pretty much interchangeable depending on which winger works best with Johansson and Semin (I personally think that Brouwer's physicality would create more room for the two less physical players, but then reconsider because I don't know if that kind of effort is best used on a line that lacks it, or with other players that do the same to create a physically dominant line).

txpd 07-28-2011 06:50 AM

king looked as good as bradley and hendricks? ever?

RandyHolt 07-28-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 35448229)

Could he have done less than Hendricks in the playoffs, ever?

He did as good as Hendricks without even getting a sweater.

He barely got a chance to shake all the rust he had from 2 years on the shelf.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 07-28-2011 08:28 AM

King has been nothing short of terrible in DC. I honestly don't think there's anything about his game that's defensible. Pretty sure Matt Bradley won more fights than he did last season. Matt freaking Bradley.

Hated the trade when they did it, and he's done nothing to change my opinion of it.

Robert Theodorson 07-28-2011 08:42 AM

When can I expect to see Schultz traded and Hannan signed for 2 years at $1M per?

ChibiPooky 07-28-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 35448229)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I skate better than D.J. King. Ugh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom (Post 35449851)
When can I expect to see Schultz traded and Hannan signed for 2 years at $1M per?

Hopefully very, very soon. OTOH if Hannan signs for 1M per, Caps can afford to keep Schultz for depth :D

On a Drury note, I think I'd prefer Stillman for the same role. Drury used to be an absolute monster every playoff year but I haven't seen it recently and I think it's the injuries that are doing it.

txpd 07-28-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 35448399)
Could he have done less than Hendricks in the playoffs, ever?

He did as good as Hendricks without even getting a sweater.

He barely got a chance to shake all the rust he had from 2 years on the shelf.

yea, hendricks looked gassed by the playoffs. however beagle was then steps above king. remove fighting from the equation for a moment. are you seriously suggesting that king deserved a sweater ahead of two of bradley, hendricks and beagle? not a chance

Roughing 07-28-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom (Post 35449851)

I've given up on the "Hannan in / Sarge out" scenario but the longer Hannan sits unemployeed the more I hope he comes back on the cheap...

BobRouse 07-28-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 35449633)
King has been nothing short of terrible in DC. I honestly don't think there's anything about his game that's defensible. Pretty sure Matt Bradley won more fights than he did last season. Matt freaking Bradley.

Hated the trade when they did it, and he's done nothing to change my opinion of it.

As RH said King never got a chance to shake off the rust. Remember the prior year or two he spent a great deal of time injured so you can't expect him to get into game shape immediately...especially when he dresses once every blue moon and hardly gets any ice time.

I don't think he got a fair shake.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 07-28-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRouse (Post 35455981)
As RH said King never got a chance to shake off the rust. Remember the prior year or two he spent a great deal of time injured so you can't expect him to get into game shape immediately...especially when he dresses once every blue moon and hardly gets any ice time.

I don't think he got a fair shake.

I don't think he did anything to earn playing time to shake off the rust. He wouldn't have played in the playoffs anyway, so I don't see any reason why he should have been given more ice time.

BobRouse 07-28-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 35456403)
I don't think he did anything to earn playing time to shake off the rust. He wouldn't have played in the playoffs anyway, so I don't see any reason why he should have been given more ice time.

How can he shake off the rust without getting the playing time?? hmmm..its a question for the ages.

Again its not like Hendricks did anything but suck in the playoffs.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 07-28-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRouse (Post 35456867)
How can he shake off the rust without getting the playing time?? hmmm..its a question for the ages.

Again its not like Hendricks did anything but suck in the playoffs.

True, but Hendricks was excellent in his role during the season.

And I would have loved to see King get the opportunity to shake off his rust....in Hershey.

bonzilla 07-28-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 35456403)

Agreed..He played as if completely detached from the flow of the game, or possibly preoccupied with something outside of the rink. It could be a personal or psychological situation that the players, management and even the press thought it best to keep it out of print.

If it was his hand, I think that some in the press would have eventually leaked it.

txpd 07-28-2011 03:06 PM

BR...are you seriously saying that king deserved a spot on the 4th line on any kind of regular basis? yes, hendricks was a disappointment in the playoffs, but was not in the regular season. would you have regularly scratched one of hendricks and bradley to get king 40 games?

if there was a real demand for the fighting part of his job, you can make that case that he needed to play more. on a pure hockey 4th line basis? really?

BobRouse 07-28-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 35462677)
BR...are you seriously saying that king deserved a spot on the 4th line on any kind of regular basis? yes, hendricks was a disappointment in the playoffs, but was not in the regular season. would you have regularly scratched one of hendricks and bradley to get king 40 games?

if there was a real demand for the fighting part of his job, you can make that case that he needed to play more. on a pure hockey 4th line basis? really?

I feel people underestimate the value of a guy like King. Its not always the fights he gets into but the "deterent" factor that is much harder to quantify.

I think we have lacked that ever since Brash departed. Erskine would be good for that but you just cant have one of your D in that role as it will wear the rest of the guys down.

Hendricks and Bradley were redundant.

This is my opinion and I stick by it. I call it the "Kordic" effect.

Worst case if you want to bench the guy it just gives more ice time for Ovechkin/Semin or one of the other wingers that hog ice time.

How is that other 4th line winger spot better utilized? I wouldn't put a young player there nor would I put an offensive player their to rot.

BobRouse 07-28-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzilla (Post 35458041)
Agreed..He played as if completely detached from the flow of the game, or possibly preoccupied with something outside of the rink. It could be a personal or psychological situation that the players, management and even the press thought it best to keep it out of print.

If it was his hand, I think that some in the press would have eventually leaked it.

DUDE!

You do realize the guy played a grand total of 13 NHL games the previous 2 years before he got to the Caps right????? Injuries kept him out which makes it worse because harder to do hockey stuff when you are in rehab/therapy/

OFCOURSE he's gonna be detached form the flow of the game. That is why he looked so out of place.

ChibiPooky 07-28-2011 03:31 PM

At least we've moved on from talking about Perreault :sarcasm:

D.J. King doesn't get playing time because he's a terrible hockey player. He is easily the worst skater I've seen outside of rec leagues. He's been on the ice for practices, skates, etc. That part of his game has had plenty of time to come back. It's not there and it will never be there.

Sure, he brings something in the intimidation/fighting/enforcer department. So do Hendricks, Brouwer, and Ward. Yes, I value that "something" - but I don't see any reason to get it from a guy who can't play hockey when the same role can be filled by guys who can.

txpd 07-28-2011 03:38 PM

so...your position is the fighter needs to dress regardless. for effect. fighting or not the oppositions knows he's there. so, if boudreau doesnt want him on the ice, let him watch from the bench. eh?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 07-28-2011 03:50 PM

The biggest reason not to dress DJ King is that his one formerly elite skill (fighting) is all but gone. I mean, did he win a single fight last year?

RandyHolt 07-28-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRouse (Post 35463085)
DUDE!

You do realize the guy played a grand total of 13 NHL games the previous 2 years before he got to the Caps right????? Injuries kept him out which makes it worse because harder to do hockey stuff when you are in rehab/therapy/

OFCOURSE he's gonna be detached form the flow of the game. That is why he looked so out of place.

I actually felt given a few games in a row, he didnt look at all out of place. Sure some here expect him at the top of his game after a grand total of probably 100 minutes on the ice in 2 seasons.

Did he cost us a single game or heck even a PP goal on a dumb penalty?

I think folks like to guess when proclaiming he would have been useless or a liability given a greater role. Who knows the effect that he would have on our team given a regular spot. Indeed the chance at a Kordic factor was limited by such sporadic games played and rust we all expected.

Hendricks potted a hat trick in camp wowed the coaches and stole his spot. Damn shame he was invisible after signing his big extension. I wish Bruce would have recognized it more and benched him in the stretch run and yes even into the playoffs. Other teams play their goons in the loffs and we can too. You would think folks think we won the cup by sitting King. Fact is we failed with him far from the lineup. We didnt try anything different.

I cant wait for TX to parlay this into how I said King IS the key to a cup.

txpd 07-28-2011 04:36 PM

the loffs...gotta love it. other teams dress their goons in the loffs. shelly played 2 games at an average of 3:58. thats value. pittsburgh used godard...umm....actually they didnt. anaheim used parros 4 minutes a game in the 6 games they played.

is this what you had in mind?