HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yahoo ranks top 25 players per position (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=959507)

Beacon 07-28-2011 03:50 PM

Yahoo ranks top 25 players per position

Yahoo came out with their rankings per position.

Marian Gaborik is ranked #6 among right wings.

Brad Richards is ranked #13 among centers.

March Staal is ranked #20 among defensemen.

That's 4 elite players on the team (assuming Lundqvist is regarded as one too).

Hensch 07-28-2011 03:52 PM

Which he is and should be ranked in the Top 5

JeffMangum 07-28-2011 03:53 PM

Some horrendously bad lists, here.

Martin St. Louis at #7 forced me to disregard everything this guy has said.

mrjimmyg89 07-28-2011 03:54 PM

Gaborik is too high, Richards is right where he belongs, maybe slightly higher, Staal should be in the top 15. No way are Byfuglein, Markov, and EJ better than Staal right now.

NYR Sting 07-28-2011 03:57 PM

Not for nothing, but those lists are horrible and totally inaccurate. For example, on what planet are Dustin Byfuglien or Dion Phaneuf better than Tobias Enstrom?

I Eat Crow 07-28-2011 03:58 PM

Pietrangelo at #8 on the defense list is comically bad

Jersey Girl 07-28-2011 04:46 PM

Interesing reads, and just one person's opinion. I wouldn't get all riled up because your favorite Ranger is ranked below someone who, in your opinion, is inferior.

ECL 07-28-2011 04:49 PM

Mike Richards and Vinny above Brad?

wtflol

ECL 07-28-2011 04:50 PM

Wait.

NEON DION ABOVE STAAL?

Holy God I am laughing my ass off.

SupersonicMonkey* 07-28-2011 05:48 PM

Brad Richards at #13 is a joke.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...iewName=points

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...iewName=points

He will always be underrated.

Beacon 07-28-2011 06:08 PM

Only 5 players had more points than Brad over the last two seasons combined: Daniel, Henrik, Perry, Stamkos and Ovechkin.

He's the third highest scoring center after Henrik and Stamkos.

Not sure how 10 more centers who scored less are so superior to him defensively that they are superior players.

vipernsx 07-28-2011 06:37 PM

If Christ Stewart is at #16 then Ryan Callahan should be on the list.

Dion ahead of Letang, Staal, & Boyle, really?

ogie 07-28-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hensch (Post 35464389)
Which he is and should be ranked in the Top 5

he won't be PuckDaddy is a notorious Rangers hater, i'll bet he will have Brodeur above Hank

Inferno 07-28-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 35468477)
Only 5 players had more points than Brad over the last two seasons combined: Daniel, Henrik, Perry, Stamkos and Ovechkin.

He's the third highest scoring center after Henrik and Stamkos.

Not sure how 10 more centers who scored less are so superior to him defensively that they are superior players.

its a coin toss...i mean, can you seriously not see how some people might not pick...for example..Crosby, Malkin, Thornton, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Toews, Backstrom, Kopitar, or Getzlaf over Richards? I feel after Crosby and Stamkos, the center position becomes very muddy.....Richards is for sure one of the elite ones...but there are so many of them its tough to pick who is better than whom.

Ih8theislanders 07-28-2011 10:27 PM

Brad Richards> Lecavalier, Mike Richards

alves 07-28-2011 10:40 PM

Horrible lists. Yahoo is worse than ESPN when it comes to hockey. Richards should be top 8-10 range, Staal should be a few spots higher, and Gaborik should not be in the top 6.

Inferno 07-28-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvesNYR (Post 35476637)
Horrible lists. Yahoo is worse than ESPN when it comes to hockey. Richards should be top 8-10 range, Staal should be a few spots higher, and Gaborik should not be in the top 6.

based on what exactly? last season?

how about the season before? only 1 RW had a better PPG than Gaborik....St. Louis...by 1 point...and he played with Stamkos, Lecavalier, etc.

How about the season before that? his PPG was by far and away the best in the league (granted in very few games)

The season before that? Only Alfredsson had a better PPG than him.

what about 2006-2007? only Marian Hossa and Martin St. Louis.

I think Gabby should be in the top 6 easily. The only question with Gabby is health this coming season. if hes healthy i fully expect an 80-100 pt season.

XLJ 07-28-2011 11:38 PM

LOL @ Phaneuf being in the top 15. He might be the most overrated player in the nhl.

Beacon 07-28-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 35476049)
its a coin toss...i mean, can you seriously not see how some people might not pick...for example..Crosby, Malkin, Thornton, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Toews, Backstrom, Kopitar, or Getzlaf over Richards? I feel after Crosby and Stamkos, the center position becomes very muddy.....Richards is for sure one of the elite ones...but there are so many of them its tough to pick who is better than whom.

That's 9 players, not 12. They are all great players, but I would definitely take Brad over Zetty, Toews and Kopitar, and probably Backstrom.

Brad is at the very least a #10 center, maybe a #6.

JeffMangum 07-29-2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 35478401)
That's 9 players, not 12. They are all great players, but I would definitely take Brad over Zetty, Toews and Kopitar, and probably Backstrom.

Over Kopitar and Toews?

Not going to argue Zetterberg, as he's essentially a LW at this point, but Kopitar is definitely better than Richards, IMO. Similar numbers offensively, but Kopitar is significantly better on the defensive side of the puck; and, overall a more 'dominant' presence on the ice. He's the complete package - 'elite' offensive skills, high-end intelligence, size, and is still a few years away from his prime. His game actually reminds me a bit of Malkin's style - using his reach and size to fend off defenseman, and then threading the needle flawlessly.

In regards to Toews, I still prefer his all-around package over Richards'. Don't get me wrong, I love Richards, and I'm ecstatic to have him here, but I'm more partial to Toews' style of play. He doesn't have the elite vision of a Richards or a Kopitar, but he's a dominant physical presence, a leader, and still a pretty damn good offensive player, despite his 'shortcomings' in that facet of the game. Great hands, great release, and is among the smartest players in the league. Also, I feel the term is overused, but he certainly fits the description of 'winner'. Yes, Richards can certainly be considered as such, too, but I just love the vibe that Toews exudes on the ice. It's a 'never give up' attitude, no matter the score.

My top-10 looks like this:

Crosby
Datsyuk
Malkin
Sedin
Toews

*Gap*

Stamkos/Kopitar
E. Staal
B. Richards
Getzlaf

Yes, I have Toews over Stamkos. :P I feel Stamkos is given too much credit; fantastic goal scorer, but he was horrendous for the final 40 games or so of last season. I'd like to see what he does without St. Louis perfectly teeing up his one-timers.

BlueshirtBlitz 07-29-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyle (Post 35478743)
Over Kopitar and Toews?

Not going to argue Zetterberg, as he's essentially a LW at this point, but Kopitar is definitely better than Richards, IMO. Similar numbers offensively, but Kopitar is significantly better on the defensive side of the puck; and, overall a more 'dominant' presence on the ice. He's the complete package - 'elite' offensive skills, high-end intelligence, size, and is still a few years away from his prime. His game actually reminds me a bit of Malkin's style - using his reach and size to fend off defenseman, and then threading the needle flawlessly.

In regards to Toews, I still prefer his all-around package over Richards'. Don't get me wrong, I love Richards, and I'm ecstatic to have him here, but I'm more partial to Toews' style of play. He doesn't have the elite vision of a Richards or a Kopitar, but he's a dominant physical presence, a leader, and still a pretty damn good offensive player, despite hi 'shortcomings' in that facet of the game. Great hands, great release, and is among the smartest league.

My top-10 looks like this:

Crosby
Datsyuk
Malkin
Sedin
Toews
Stamkos
Kopitar
Staal
B. Richards
Getzlaf

Yes, I have Toews over Stamkos. :P I feel Stamkos is given too much credit; fantastic goal scorer, but he was horrendous for the final 40 games or so of last season. I'd like to see what he does without St. Louis perfectly teeing up his one-timers.

Where were you to defend me when I posted this same thing a few weeks ago? :laugh:

JeffMangum 07-29-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 35478769)
Where were you to defend me when I posted this same thing a few weeks ago? :laugh:

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

He was completely dominating in the first half, but I believe he produced at a ~25 goal rate in the final ~40 games.

He needs to be a bit more consistent before I consider him him in the upper-echelon.

Inferno 07-29-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 35478401)

Staal, Sedin, etc...there are a few more centers....im not saying brad deserves to be in the top 5, top 10, or top 15...im saying after the first 2 or 3 centers, it gets very confusing on who is next...imho Richards is in the 2nd teir of elite centers.

JeffMangum 07-29-2011 03:12 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter

Goalie list.

Much better than the last few.

allstar3970 07-29-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogie (Post 35470451)
he won't be PuckDaddy is a notorious Rangers hater, i'll bet he will have Brodeur above Hank

Wyshinski isn't writing these, the byline is some other guy.