HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Will Rangers have alot of optional practice this year?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=95957)

BDubinskyNYR17* 08-05-2004 02:17 PM

Will Rangers have alot of optional practice this year??

icthelight 08-05-2004 02:23 PM

Odd poll. Not sure why, one would create a poll for this strange thought :shakehead

Son of Steinbrenner 08-05-2004 02:37 PM

if there is a lockout and shortened season i say yes. if there is a normal season i say no.

Fletch 08-05-2004 02:43 PM

I think you're touching on something...

that goes much deeper than just practices, and that's the overall philosophy of Renney, vis a vis Sather. Serious changes in the way the coaches approach the team need to be made. This was a very undisciplined, not well-coached team the last several years. The big question will be is that going to change. If there is a season, you may not even get a chance to tell if the current lineup is what they will be icing this season as there doesn't appear to be much of an experienced team and there will be lots and lots of mistakes made out there. While I didn't support the Renney decision, it may not be as bad as we thought as he's added a couple quality guys thus far. He's always said the right things, now the question is will he surround himself with the right guys (and the two thus far appear to be the right guys) to execute.

Brooklyn Ranger 08-05-2004 02:44 PM

We've have really hit the dog days of summer!

WHO CARES?

NYR469 08-05-2004 03:34 PM

the blame over optional practices falls on the players imo, not the coaches...

'optional' does NOT mean that you can sleep in, our players just took that option because they were lazy and didn't care...

other teams probably give players the 'option' to take the day off and rest if needed, but how many times do you think scott stevens decides to skip practice so he can sleep late??

my high school baseball coach told us "optional practice is just another way of saying 'you better effing be there, but be there because you want to be there and because you want to get better and because you care about the team and your teammates, not because someone is forcing you to be there'"

in other words, the coach can force the players to practice, but he can't make them truly care and a group of guys simply going thru the motions because someone is making them really isn't a team...if you can skip practice for no reason (obviously if the player is nursing an injury that is different) and you don't feel like you are letting your teammates down, then there is a problem...you expect your teammates to be there and work hard, so why aren't you doing the same?

and i think you gotta point fingers at the veteran leaders on the team for allowing it to him...if sather said 'optional practice tomorrow at 8', either messier or leetch or holik or whoever should have immediately stood up and said 'that means everyone on the ice at 7:45, no exceptions'...of course that never happened because it was the veteran 'leaders' that were taking the days off

Bluenote13 08-05-2004 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
We've have really hit the dog days of summer!

WHO CARES?

:handclap:

BobMarleyNYR 08-05-2004 07:15 PM

I got a better question.......................................... ...............
WILL THERE BE A LOCK-OUT NEXT SEASON? :lol

ish 08-06-2004 03:03 PM

It is a dog days question but a good one. I'm sure hoping they're not having a lot of optionals with the team so young now. If they do it's a joke.

ftyutin51 08-06-2004 03:51 PM

If the Rangers have any more of these optional practices like they had last season, I will go crazy!! Seriously, every athlete like myself, knows that the only way you improve is if you PRACTICE. Once you start practicing day after day, your game starts to improve, even the littlest things like how you hold a bat while playing baseball or how you shoot the ball to score in basketball.

If I was Renney, I'd make the team practice EVERY SINGLE DAY of the season. If the team lost a game, I'd make them do drills and other tactics till they get it right, and start playing with more concentration and determination. And, if any player gave me some bullsh*t about how tired he is or how I should cut him slack 'cause he's a star player, I'd trade them instantly. Practice everyday and if the team loses, DOUBLE the practice. :)

Pass-the-Puck 08-06-2004 11:06 PM

Rangers news is so slow....

I'm excited about this Val Kamensky guy...could add a lot to the organization... :shakehead

in the hall 08-06-2004 11:17 PM

what a waste of my two seconds

icthelight 08-06-2004 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pass-the-Puck
Rangers news is so slow....

I'm excited about this Val Kamensky guy...could add a lot to the organization... :shakehead

??
Did we sign him again?
If so I guess we didn't learn from the last time.

Pass-the-Puck 08-06-2004 11:29 PM

Eh, no, just making a joke.

Ranger news is so slow....

I hear the Patrick division could be competitive this season...