HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: East Bank vs. West Bank (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=960031)

Sawdalite 07-29-2011 01:50 PM

East Bank vs. West Bank

I am starting this thread rather than bringing up in the partying tread for two main reasons (a) it is really not about partying and if it did or did not led to Richards and Carter being traded (b) the thought/topic would only get lost in that active and contentious thread.

... Since the dawn of man, or at least of the Broad Street Bullies Flyers players have settled to the right of the Delaware River... some reasons may be:

* Tax reasons... Offsetting City taxes and taking advantage of road games outside PA/Philly

* Less travel time... near practice and actually often quicker to hop the WW Bridge than travel from PA Burbs, and even CC at times. Parking delays also avoided.

* Be near teammates... In the past almost all of them were there, and so were the families and wives and kids socialized more easily.

* Welcomed warmly... South Jersey has always been a safe haven and they were able to live their lives close to normally there as people were used to them and allowed them to be themselves.

* Close proximity to Philly urban community... They were able to take advantage of everything Philly had to offer yet avoid any hassle the City living would bring.

* Yada, Yada, Yada

There were some who chose PA and lived happy lives unbothered by the above; they had lovely lives in beautiful PA... John Leclair was one that comes to mind IIRC... But for the most part it was the norm to settle in South Jersey, and was expected... the exceptions proved the rule I would say.

Then along came Forsberg and the young hip metropolitan (largely) single crowd who were rich and enjoyed the affluent urban lifestyle and all the perks handsome star athletes garnered there. Center City and Old City was the place rather than the Main Line.

The married with family veterans and many young players settled on the Right Bank and the cool single more active players settled on the Left Bank. All was well in the Flyers World.

First Forsberg was traded and he begot Upshall and Hartnell... and Lupul was obtained... and Carter and Richards had already been settled on the Left Bank... and then The Apple was tasted and one by one all without Clauses in effect were cast out of the Garden -- How the F did I morph into a Biblical mode? haha -- Please forgive me if I missed any player(s).

In any event I believe only the recently divorced Hartnell remains on the Left Bank.

This is all my opinion and memories on the Pennsy/Jersey divide and residential living situation... My question is what is the opinions of others here, and what part in the Flyers history does the City play... and what part does South Jersey play.

mja 07-29-2011 02:17 PM

I don't have any idea how to respond to your post other to say that while Forsberg lived in CC, he didn't really live it up. He was much more likely to be found dining in a 30 seat pricey BYOB in Rittenhouse Square than he was in some Old City club.

Sawdalite 07-29-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mja (Post 35491025)
I don't have any idea how to respond to your post other to say that while Forsberg lived in CC, he didn't really live it up. He was much more likely to be found dining in a 30 seat pricey BYOB in Rittenhouse Square than he was in some Old City club.

Forsberg was merely mentioned in my recollections of the history of the Flyers residences... He was the player that in my eyes broke the unwritten rule that Flyers came to the Organization and settled in South Jersey, a stones throw from the practice rink.

I was in no way saying that he... nor any other player... was partying. Nowhere in my post IIRC did I mention the clubs nor drinking/partying... Rather I spoke of the metropolitan culture and the 'hipness' that large city brings.

Money savings is less a dire need these days with such large contracts... and especially with the young and single crowd... Give and take is a question and giving up pluses of Jersey for the affluent Urban life is favorable to many given their circumstance.

I did bring up the 'coincidence' that most all Philly residing players have been traded... the one remaining has a NTC... I would like people thoughts on that. My thoughts are that it could be looked at as something to be discussed here, away from the Carter/Richards Partying question... although it could indeed be linked, but would be lost in it's parts in the other thread.

SgtJoseph 07-29-2011 10:15 PM

Interesting thoughts ! Having grown up in South Jersey directly east across the river from the the old Vet in Westville New Jersey, i remember many Philadelphia sports teams players lived in South Jersey.Bobby Clarke lived just up the road a few miles over in Mt Ephraim etc.My buddies father played golf on a regular basis with many of the Flyers, Phillies etc over at Medford lakes CC .

Quite a few players over the years ate at my fathers restaurant in westville back in the 70s [Chestnut house].I think many live over in Jersey for the reasons you mentioned, but i certainly can understand why many of the single players would like living in center city etc..The Flyers, Phillies, Eagles, 6ers etc have a large following over in South Jersey, and i always wondered what % of fans that regularly attend games are from Jersey ?Growing up in South Jersey was a great place to grow up, it was away from the big city hustle and bustle, but close enough to go to games and events in Philly. [ 15 minutes].

Sawdalite 07-30-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 35506717)
Interesting thoughts ! Having grown up in South Jersey directly east across the river from the the old Vet in Westville New Jersey, i remember many Philadelphia sports teams players lived in South Jersey.Bobby Clarke lived just up the road a few miles over in Mt Ephraim etc.My buddies father played golf on a regular basis with many of the Flyers, Phillies etc over at Medford lakes CC .

Quite a few players over the years ate at my fathers restaurant in westville back in the 70s [Chestnut house].I think many live over in Jersey for the reasons you mentioned, but i certainly can understand why many of the single players would like living in center city etc..The Flyers, Phillies, Eagles, 6ers etc have a large following over in South Jersey, and i always wondered what % of fans that regularly attend games are from Jersey ?Growing up in South Jersey was a great place to grow up, it was away from the big city hustle and bustle, but close enough to go to games and events in Philly. [ 15 minutes].

I'd think a large number of those attending come from the East side of the Delaware each game... The Flyers colors are all over the place and I guess that they are second only to the Phillies in fan gear worn, and I would add that that is a close second to boot. While I wouldn't argue the Eagles are far more popular in the Metro Area, in South Jersey the people wearing the colors seem to favor the Flyers over the Eagles the last few years... No backup on that though.

The Flyers players have always been visible in the South Jersey shops, eateries and watering holes over the decades -- Rexy's, My Friend's, Kaminski's, Coral Reef, Coastline, Coliseum, S****y Bubbles, Main Street Pub, P. J. Whelihan's, etc. all have had Flyers players frequenting them over he years and the players would rarely shy away from courteous fans -- On Kings Highway in Haddonfield you could catch a player or two, and the Starbucks in Voorhees and Haddonfiled had them stop by at times... Various supermarkets find players shopping along side fans... And in all places they most always are allowed to live their lives in peace.

South Jersey has accepted them as residents and pretty much takes it for granted that they are a part of the community, like everybody else here, and hey have proudly claim them as their own.

Sawdalite 07-30-2011 07:27 PM

Why the Hell is 'S w a n k y' not allowed here? That word means 'classy' IIRC. :help:

Opus 07-30-2011 07:30 PM

Pardon my french, but how many ****ing threads on this do we need???

Closed.