HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Will Desharnais scoring touch work in the NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=960089)

Breakfast of Champs 07-29-2011 02:40 PM

Will Desharnais scoring touch work in the NHL?
 
David desharnais has been a scoring machine at every level, posting 100+ point seasons twice in jr, once in the echl, and was on pace for over 100 this year in the ahl until he was called up to the habs.

Do you think his scoring touch will eventually carry over into the nhl?

How many points do you see him scoring in his prime?

shiram 07-29-2011 02:48 PM

I'd be happy to see him pot in about 40-45 points.
I think with the limited role he will have, thats a reasonably goal for him to achieve.
He was on a pace for about that last year as well.

Ice Poutine 07-29-2011 02:49 PM

its not Will Desharnais; its David Desharnais btw...;)

Breakfast of Champs 07-29-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiram (Post 35494107)
I'd be happy to see him pot in about 40-45 points.
I think with the limited role he will have, thats a reasonably goal for him to achieve.
He was on a pace for about that last year as well.

He was on pace for 42 last season with 12 minutes per game. I honestly think that this guy can become an 80+ point guy in 3 or 4 years.

Note that in St. louis first full year he had 40 points in 78 games. Desharnais will be the same age this season as st louis was then.

newtown33 07-29-2011 02:57 PM

I think it will...he's never gonna be a scoring machine on even strenght but his powerplay abilities will make him useful in the roster

I actually think Markov will help him as he's excellent passing the puck backdoor!

MooseOllini 07-29-2011 03:00 PM

Yes he will but he won't put up 100+ points just for the fact that he won't be playing 25min a game and NHL is the highest hockey caliber on earth.

As a productive offensive 3rd liner with PP time I'm sure he has the chance to reach at his peak a 60ish point season.

He's a really smart guy and a great team first guy which I believe will give him a long NHL career here or somewhere else.

My guess for this year would be something like 15g20a35pts which would be a great 3rd line contribution. What I like about our team this year is that our offensive depth looks better than ever. As opposed to the past years we're not looking at a top 6 but rather at a top 9. Can't wait to see how that pans out!

Treb 07-29-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnman10 (Post 35494291)
He was on pace for 42 last season with 12 minutes per game. I honestly think that this guy can become an 80+ point guy in 3 or 4 years.

Note that in St. louis first full year he had 40 points in 78 games. Desharnais will be the same age this season as st louis was then.

I still don't think of Desharnais as ST-Louis 2.0. If he ever reaches the 50 pts mark, I'll be impressed and if he reaches 80 pts, I'll have some excuses to make.

The Gal Pals 07-29-2011 03:30 PM

He seems to dominate at every single level he's played because he's a smart player. He always takes about 1 yr to get adjusted and then he dominates. I'm expecting him to put up big numbers this year as long as he gets the playing time. That being said, I'd be extremely happy if he puts up 50 pts but I'm expecting he can do more, even from a 3rd line role.

overlords 07-29-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airic000 (Post 35495453)
He seems to dominate at every single level he's played because he's a smart player. He always takes about 1 yr to get adjusted and then he dominates. I'm expecting him to put up big numbers this year as long as he gets the playing time. That being said, I'd be extremely happy if he puts up 50 pts but I'm expecting he can do more, even from a 3rd line role.

He might end up getting stuck as a 3rd line offensive specialist like Versteeg, but I dunno. He is, as you say, very smart. If you surround him with guys who can win some board battles and go to the net (Eller, Cole? :naughty: ), he could do some serious damage.

PricePkPatch 07-29-2011 03:38 PM

Patch-Eller-DD

Oooohhh... You crafty Gainey. That was your plan all along...

JLP 07-29-2011 03:59 PM

But does he fit in Martin's system?

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 07-29-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 35496303)
But does he fit in Martin's system?

I see what you did there... but he does and Martin likes him because he puts defense first. Now the fact that he gets outmuscled like a feather is another story...

His strength is ironically his speed, because he's not strong, just elusive and somewhat explosive when he skates down the wing. DD needs big linemates to create room for him to get to the net and in the area behind the net (I call it the Thornton area).

If he gels with AK and Eller, that would be the perfect environment for him.

shamrun 07-29-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsolument90 (Post 35497383)
I see what you did there... but he does and Martin likes him because he puts defense first. Now the fact that he gets outmuscled like a feather is another story...

His strength is ironically his speed, because he's not strong, just elusive and somewhat explosive when he skates down the wing. DD needs big linemates to create room for him to get to the net and in the area behind the net (I call it the Thornton area).

If he gels with AK and Eller, that would be the perfect environment for him.


I think his strength is his decision making. He has great vision. You are right he needs to play with wingers that can do the dirty work down low.


also he does have a scoring touch in the nhl....

The Kremelin Wall* 07-29-2011 04:43 PM

I am very excited to see our team next year.

Habs 1909 07-29-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Poutine (Post 35494127)
its not Will Desharnais; its David Desharnais btw...;)

Thanks for the laugh. :laugh:

pine 07-29-2011 05:01 PM

amazing skill. Only he can score this type of goals:


Toro 07-29-2011 05:01 PM

yes.

Should of done a poll..

anywho, DD like has been said earlier in thread takes a year to earn the respect and trust and then explodes.

I am seriously expecting this guy to push his way up to a top 6 role on this team or get traded and do it elsewhere.

I like his attitude and work ethic and how serious he takes his job as he has always had detractors. He has improved his weaknesses and is no longer a a slow small guy and is filling out.

35 - 45 pts this season is very reachable and i expect he will achieve that level this season.

snakeye 07-29-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFpineapple (Post 35498027)
amazing skill. Only he can score this type of goals:


...more like brutal goaltending. :laugh:

PricePkPatch 07-29-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 35496303)
But does he fit in Martin's system?

Hum... 1st PK duty against Boston in game 4, he bought about 20 seconds on his own against Chara while forechecking, and almost stole the puck.

He even had 2nd line duty in game 5.

The kid gives a lot in defense, is opportunistic and clever. He has a great hockey mind. He works, works, works, works.

Yes, he fits with Jacque Martin system. And JM has clearly shown he trusts the little guy.


He's a freaking mouse, sneaking exactly where he should be to make a play. Add big guys to give him space to manoeuver, he will find the best palce to be. Add extremely skilled passers like AK or Markov, and they will feed him what he needs to score.

I love the kid. He conquered my heart when he held his own against FREAKING CHARA. He deserves the name of David.

edit: My bad. He actually stole the puck from Chara and got a good shot on Thomas

BLONG7 07-29-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnman10 (Post 35494291)
He was on pace for 42 last season with 12 minutes per game. I honestly think that this guy can become an 80+ point guy in 3 or 4 years.

Note that in St. louis first full year he had 40 points in 78 games. Desharnais will be the same age this season as st louis was then.

80 pts??? The great Vinny L has ever only gotten 80 pts twice in his career, and he's 6'4 ;) :D

Toro 07-29-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7 (Post 35500233)
80 pts??? The great Vinny L has ever only gotten 80 pts twice in his career, and he's 6'4 ;) :D

80 pts is kind of high, i would say DD's ceiling is high 60's.

Crimson Skorpion 07-29-2011 05:56 PM

If he could see an odd shift or two on the powerplay with Pacioretty on his wing, I think he could turn a few heads. The two of them had tons of success in Hamilton and Desharnais was the guy that fed Pacioretty the puck most of the time.

PricePkPatch 07-29-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion (Post 35500343)
If he could see an odd shift or two on the powerplay with Pacioretty on his wing, I think he could turn a few heads. The two of them had tons of success in Hamilton and Desharnais was the guy that fed Pacioretty the puck most of the time.

You know, a line of AK-DD-Patch would be quite nice...

Breakfast of Champs 07-29-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toro (Post 35500313)
80 pts is kind of high, i would say DD's ceiling is high 60's.

I know a lot of people are going to think im crazy but I truly believe if he does get the opportunity he could crack 80 pts. He was just adjusting to the nhl this year and was on pace for a 42 pt season in 82 games, playing little minutes. He will only get better and adjust more to the pace of play. I wouldnt be dissappointed if he is a 60 point guy, but I think hes capable of 80

InglewoodJack 07-29-2011 06:09 PM

I can see him getting 45-50 points at some point.

I can also see Martin putting him in the top 6 and keeping him whether he's successful or not (to the dismay of many of you) due to his work ethic.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.