HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Trade and 2012 UFA possibilities to add another scorer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=960451)

Beacon 07-30-2011 01:43 AM

Trade and 2012 UFA possibilities to add another scorer

Next year we free up nearly $11.5 in money paid to Wolski, MZA, Feds, Avery, Christ, and part of Drury's hit. Plus we had a hit of half a million in bonuses carry over from last year, which I am hoping won't happen again, but I am not counting it as new cap space because you never know how things will pan out with bonuses.

Prust will likely get half a million extra.

Kreider, Hagelin and Weise will take an average of about a million each to replace Feds, Avery and Christ in the lineup, so that's another $3. I am assuming that Thomas won't be ready by the age of 20 and will need at least one season in Hartford. Similarly I can't see JT Miller being ready by 19.

I can see him re-signing MZA for $2 if he has a good year. That brings the total spent to about $5.5 and leaves us with $6. That's enough to sign or trade for a borderline first liner, or we can sign a superstar for up to $8 if we don't re-sign MZA or if the cap goes up by even a couple percent.

The cap won't go down unless there will be a proportional hit to players current contracts because it would become mathematically impossible to do.

Players who might interest me if they hit UFA after failing to re-sign in the next 11 months:

Alexander Semin
Dustin Penner
RJ Umberger
Patrick Sharp
Chris Kunitz
(on a 1 year deal only)

I did not include anyone who's a pure center who doesn't play the wing comfortably. We already have Brad, AA, Step and Boyle, with Lindberg soon to be knocking on the door, and Weise can play any forward position, so he'll be able to pick up the slack on the 4th line if we need Boyle to move up to the third line, which he can do comfortably. Also I am excluding older players because you never know when they hit the wall.

(If I am forgetting someone, please let me know and I will adjust the list.)

The truth is that unless Semin or Sharp become available, which is unlikely, nothing is extremely exciting. I'd like to get Penner or Umberger, but neither is a game breaker.

So here's a list of overpaid first liners who might be available cheap because their team may not want to pay their salaries:

1. RW Thomas Vanek (presently 3 years left at $7.143 per) - considering how much Buffalo just sank into their team, I doubt they trade Vanek, but if they struggle, there may be calls to clear some wasteful spending, so who knows.

2. C Eric Staal (presently 5 years at $8.25 left) - could be ok in a trade if we deal away a center, among other assets for him. But he's the face of the franchise in many ways.

3. C Vinny Lecavalier (presently 8 years at $7.7 per left) - don't really want unless we get him just for players we are dropping to create cap space (Wolski, Avery, etc). Don't see this working out at all.

4. LW Ilya Kovalchuk - Lou badly wanted him, and if changes his mind and does deal him away (highly unlikely), it certainly won't be to the Rangers.

Not much here either. I would love to get Eric Staal for Anisimov and McDonagh, give or take a second round either way (and for cap purposes also the expiring contracts of Wolski and Avery if it happens before the end of 2011-12), but not sure it can happen.

It would work for us. McDonagh could be replaced by Tim Erixon on the left side of the second pair, with Marc Staal is on the left of the first pair and either MDZ or Vally would be on the LD on the third pair. Our defense would still be top-notch, and now our centers would be absolutely unbeatable.

But the odds of Carolina sending Eric Staal away are not great, to say the least.

So what's left? Will we just keep open space in the 2012-13 season and spend $3 to re-sign Wolski or an equivalent player, leaving another $3 unspent? That looks like a high probability.

Unless there's an unexpected opportunity from out of the blue, the team would look largely the same except for Kreider, Hagelin and Weise replacing Feds, Avery and Christ.

This was an "free thinking" exercise on my part and I was hoping to find a way for us to acquire a superior player, preferably a winger, but unfortunately I have to come to the end of this post with a sense of a little bit of a disappointment.

Oh well...

EDIT: There's also Zach Parise as a possible, maybe even probable UFA. Thanks Inferno for reminding me. Obviously getting him would be enormous and I think it's actually possible given that he just signed a one year contract, not a long-term one, so he may want to test the waters.

With $11.5 freed up, we can give Prust an extra half a million and two million to MZA, while still leaving us with $8 to give Parise. That's a Cup favorite right there going into preseason.

Inferno 07-30-2011 01:48 AM

Priority 1: Parise
Priority 2: Parise
Priority 3: Parise
Priority 4: Parise
Priority 5: Parise
Priority 6: Parise
Priority 7: Parise
Priority 8: Parise
Priority 9: Parise
Priority 10: Parise

Inferno 07-30-2011 01:49 AM

Next year:

Parise - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - AA Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Thomas
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - MCD
Erixon - MDZ

Beacon 07-30-2011 02:00 AM

Damn, I feel like a fool now. Of course, Parise! And I had him on my fantasy team the last two years, both times I took him in the (late) first round. (Worked out better in 2009-10 when I won the league than in 2010-11 when I was in the bottom half and Parise was injured the whole year.)

Funny thing is that I actually had a nagging feeling that I was forgetting someone which is why I asked people to remind me if I forgot someone.

That would be big if we signed him. The lineup you just wrote down is insanely good. If we sign Parise, we would have the strongest lineup on paper in the league. Games are not played on paper, but being the best on paper will probably produce better results than having a crappy lineup on paper.

NYRangers16 07-30-2011 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 35512501)
Next year:

Parise - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - AA Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Thomas
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - MCD
Erixon - MDZ

Love it! Would be amazing, though I'd prob. play Dubi on the first and Parise on the second just to balance out the scoring and to aid in Stepan's development. Also Dubi would be the board guy on line 1 and Cally would be that guy on line 2.

But yes, Parise would be amazing. We could absolutely afford it at least in '12 and '13...then in '14 we have some tough decisions but that's a ways off.

Bob Richards 07-30-2011 02:47 AM

I would kill to have Parise on this team. All my friends are Devils fans and the mocking I would inflict would be amazing.

He's also not too bad of a player either....:sarcasm:

Beacon 07-30-2011 03:02 AM

If I'm Parise, I would not want to stay on the Devils. That team is going down.

Brodeur, Elias, Zubrus, Salvador and Colin White are all in their mid to late 30s. In addition, Zajac, Clarkson, Hunter, Steckel, Boulton, Pelley and Janssen are all UFAs within a year of Parise hitting unrestricted free agency. And they just lost Langenbrunner and Arnott.

I can't see how they will have enough kinds in their system who can replace all these players. Oh and let's not forget that they will have to skip one first round pick.

The Devils could sign a UFA, but that's always very expensive, and they already brought on Kovalchuk and Volchenkov. Will they be able to pay UFA salaries to Zajac and Parise, while adding on a bunch of players to replace Brodeur, Elias, etc? I doubt it.

Their organizational prospect strength was ranked #15 by the HF, so that makes them about average. And while they got an excellent first rounder, they did not have a pick in the second.

Let's not forget that the Devils missed the playoffs last season, so it's not as if they have that much room for error. Last year, they were by far the worst team in scoring. Even if having Parise (instead of whoever replaced him) the whole year meant 30 more goals, they would still have been in the bottom 4 in scoring.

Losing a bunch of players or even having the elderly slow down will mean total inability to score. And when Brodeur stops being Brodeur, which will happen sooner rather than later, the defense will also collapse.

Why stay on a team like that? Because they drafted you (to help themselves)? That's laughable.

Run Zach run! Go to a team where you will not have to spend the rest of your career in the basement of the Eastern Conference standings.

Beacon 07-30-2011 03:12 AM

For the Debbies to re-sign Parise and then Zajac the following year would mean they would have at least $20 tied in 3 forwards (Kovalchuk, Parise and Zajac) and another $10.5 in 3 defensemen.

Even if they decide to max out their cap, they would have only $30 (assuming the cap actually goes up about 5%, which it may not) to sign the remaining 17 players to fill out their roster.

That's about $1.75 per player. Considering that they would need to add 3 top-6 forwards and a top-4 defenseman and a starting goalie, I doubt that can all fit under the cap. And even if it could, where in the world would the Debs get that many UFAs in the next two summers?

The Debbies won't be seeing playoffs for a while. Next season is their last chance for a while to have a competitive team.

eco's bones 07-30-2011 03:18 AM

Parise has all the leverage in the situation he's in. The Devils say they're going to continue to negotiate. Funny that Parise has the Kovalchuk situation of a a couple years ago to learn from--right square in the middle of his locker room. Here's the deal--the Devils are not a contender and not likely to be for a while. Personally I don't see them making the playoffs. Marty is a iffy goaltender at this stage--though a first ballot HOF'er--no doubt about that. Arguably top 5 goalies of all time. Their defensive corps is crap. They're not deep at forward. Scored the least amount of goals last year by a good margin. Did not make any significant additions this summer to correct that. If anyone cares to look the contracts Lou gave out were practically all less than $1 mil per.

Zach is still young and the last we've seen of him--still a big difference maker. IMO I'd take him over Kovalchuk every day of the week.

Beacon 07-30-2011 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 35513525)
Arguably top 5 goalies of all time.

Marty is arguably #1, though I wouldn't agree with that. The best goalie I personally have seen since becoming a fan a quarter century ago has been Dom Hasek. Marty and Roy are tied for second-best. But a lot of people will say it's Marty who's best.

But the guy will be turning 40 years old during the next playoffs. He's not iffy yet, he's still a solid goalie, but he's no longer the superstar that he was through his career, and certainly does not compare to Lundqvist anymore.

He's just getting old and so he'll be getting worse every year. Think about it: he's been around when his fans were still chanting "1940! 1940!"

Beacon 07-30-2011 03:59 AM

I actually think the Debs might be better next season with the addition of Parise (injured all of last season) and a possible recovery by Kovalchuk, but that will be their last salvo.

NYR Sting 07-30-2011 04:22 AM

Patrick Sharp would be a glorious target next season, as would Parise, but I doubt either will be available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 35513347)
If I'm Parise, I would not want to stay on the Devils. That team is going down.

How is having a plethora of cap space to surround Parise, Kovalchuk, Zajac, Tedenby, Josefson, Volchenkov, Urbom and Larsson a bad thing?

Quote:

Brodeur, Elias, Zubrus, Salvador and Colin White are all in their mid to late 30s. In addition, Zajac, Clarkson, Hunter, Steckel, Boulton, Pelley and Janssen are all UFAs within a year of Parise hitting unrestricted free agency. And they just lost Langenbrunner and Arnott.
Again, how is any of this a bad thing? Other than Zajac, Clarkson, and maybe Steckel, they want all of these players gone. They probably, at this point, want Brodeur and Elias gone, too (though they'd never do anything about it), so that they can move on and make this Kovalchuk and Parise's team. All of these scrubs or over the hill players leaving leaves them with a TON of cap space.

[QUOTE]
Quote:

The Devils could sign a UFA, but that's always very expensive, and they already brought on Kovalchuk and Volchenkov. Will they be able to pay UFA salaries to Zajac and Parise, while adding on a bunch of players to replace Brodeur, Elias, etc? I doubt it.
Based on what? Once all the old guys and the scrubs are gone, they'll be in fantastic financial shape, especially because they have one of the top 4-5 goalscorers in the league locked up to a bargain of a contract.

Parise, Zajac, Kovalchuk, Tedenby, Josefson, Clarkson, Palmieri are all part of the future for them in terms of forwards. That's not a bad group by any means. Larsson, Volchenkov, Greene, Urbom, Merrill, and at least one of Gelinas/Corrente/Taormina/Salmela/Burlon is going to make it. Again, nothing to scoff at.

Quote:

Their organizational prospect strength was ranked #15 by the HF, so that makes them about average. And while they got an excellent first rounder, they did not have a pick in the second.

Let's not forget that the Devils missed the playoffs last season, so it's not as if they have that much room for error. Last year, they were by far the worst team in scoring. Even if having Parise (instead of whoever replaced him) the whole year meant 30 more goals, they would still have been in the bottom 4 in scoring.

Losing a bunch of players or even having the elderly slow down will mean total inability to score. And when Brodeur stops being Brodeur, which will happen sooner rather than later, the defense will also collapse.
Why stay on a team like that? Because they drafted you (to help themselves)? That's laughable.
How about because all signs point to them being able to conduct a very successful on the fly rebuild, kind of like the Rangers did, except probably in half the time? I think it's pretty obvious that the Devils aren't really in a "win now" mode. I doubt Parise expects them to be. I don't think he's going to stay or not stay long term based on their performance this season. As long as they aren't horrendous this year, which there is no reason to expect them to be, and as long as the locker room and coaching situation proves stable (I expect it to; De Boer rules), he'll understand what's happening. They're going to compete for a playoff spot, and I think they'll make it, or miss narrowly. He just wants to see that the franchise is moving in the right direction, and doing so stably. I think that'll happen.

They're building for that period when Brodeur and Elias leave. It's not hard to find an adequate starter in this league. Replacing Brodeur is not going to be a big deal.

Quote:

Run Zach run! Go to a team where you will not have to spend the rest of your career in the basement of the Eastern Conference standings.
Prepare to be severely disappointed on several counts. The talk of the Devils' demise is being blown way out of proportion. If Parise leaves, then they have a problem. Just don't see it happening, however.

Beacon 07-30-2011 04:36 AM

The Debils will have three forwards getting paid about $22. They have three rookies, plus will likely introduce 1 more. After that, their forward prospect cup board is empty of likely top-9 forwards.

That's 7 players getting ~$27. Defense will get at least $16 (three guys already signed for $10.5 total).

They may have a lot of cap space, but not a lot per spot that needs to be filled.

They would need to add a pair of second liners, costing them $3 each. That's another $9.

A half decent goalie would be $4.

With 8 more forwards and a backup goalie needed and only about $5 million on hand to sign 9 players on the UFA market. It takes $1.5 to sign someone like Rupp, so adding 9 third and fourth and 13/14 players would cost at least $15.

What this means is that Lou will have not have the cap space to sign top-6 players if he re-signs Parise and Zajac. All the other forwards after the top 3 and the 4 rookies will have to be no better than Rupp.

And that's assuming that every devil prospect succeed, which is almost impossible considering that a huge percentage of prospects become busts or very crappy players.

But even if possible, who would theses players be? How many quality players can they sign each summer? The UFA market is not big enough even if they had cap space.

I suspect Kolarik and PAP will find a home on the Debbies.

Beacon 07-30-2011 04:44 AM

And how do you figure the Debbies would rebuild faster than the Rangers considering they did not have a second this year and will not have a first in one draft.

Meanwhile the Rangers were drafting far better than other teams and had several extra picks (an extra first and several extra seconds in 2004, an extra second in 2005) and acquisition of several good prospects: Girardi, Erixon, McDonagh, Valentenko, MZA, etc.

I don't think its possible to rebuild faster than the rangers did without tanking for at least 3 seasons.

But if Parise joins the Rangers, he is immediately on a very serious contender.

NYR Sting 07-30-2011 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 35513977)
The Debils will have three forwards getting paid about $22. They have three rookies, plus will likely introduce 1 more. After that, their forward prospect cup board is empty of likely top-9 forwards.

How do you figure? Not sure, but I think your math is off, and throws off the rest of the post, as well.

Quote:

What this means is that Lou will have not have the cap space to sign top-6 players if he re-signs Parise and Zajac. All the other forwards after the top 3 and the 4 rookies will have to be no better than Rupp.
When you have two of the top 20 forwards in the league, you can afford to skimp on your top six. Kovalchuk, Parise, Zajac, Tedenby is basically 4 locks for the top six in the future (assuming Parise re-signs). Josefson and Palmieri might be 3rd liners on most teams, but again, you can play them in your top 6 because they are reliable players and because you have 2 great offensive catalysts. Kovalchuk, Parise, Zajac would account for something like 17-18 mill. A combination of prospects and free agents will probably do that. Steckel is a guy they'll probably keep, he's a cheap, decent bottom six player. Clarkson, too. The two combined, on their next contracts, will probably account for 4.5-5.5 mill. That means, for the most part, what they really need is to just fill out their bottom six with 3-4 guys. Not that challenging.

Quote:

And that's assuming that every devil prospect succeed, which is almost impossible considering that a huge percentage of prospects become busts or very crappy players.
They don't need every prospect to succeed, but I see no reason to believe that Tedenby, Josefson, Palmieri, Urbom, Merril, and Larsson won't be successful. All strong prospects that, to date, have shown nothing to give me doubts that they won't make it. And I think at least one of Gelinas/Corrente/Burlon/Taormina will be a serviceable bottom pairing guy, if not better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 35514019)
And how do you figure the Debbies would rebuild faster than the Rangers considering they did not have a second this year and will not have a first in one draft.

Meanwhile the Rangers were drafting far better than other teams and had several extra picks (an extra first and several extra seconds in 2004, an extra second in 2005) and acquisition of several good prospects: Girardi, Erixon, McDonagh, Valentenko, MZA, etc.

They'll do it faster because, unlike the Rangers, their "rebuild" is beginning with many of the most important pieces already in place. And, frankly, sucking last season was great for their franchise. When you have a franchise defenseman and TWO franchise forwards, that means you've filled most of the most important holes. Now, all you have to do is fill out the depth positions. The Rangers did this backwards, and it took them quite some time to do it.

Quote:

But if Parise joins the Rangers, he is immediately on a very serious contender.
Without a doubt. But the argument that the Devils have no future doesn't work. If you want to make an argument against their future success, the only real legs I see to stand on are simply the fact that it's unlikely that they'll be better than the Penguins or Rangers in the near future, and that you know the Flyers aren't going to be down for long, if at all. Not to mention the Islanders having a bright future. But I really see no reason why they Devils won't be a playoff team once they have all that cap space and they can surround their big stars accordingly. I think, in 2-3 years, they'll be better than MTL, TOR, OTT, WPG, FLA, CAR. After that, thanks to the parity in this league, it gets murky.

Besides, if he leaves NJ, I imagine the Penguins would do almost anything to get him, starting with move a guy like Staal if it gave the cap space to get Parise. Parise and Crosby instantly becomes the best line in the league.

GAGLine 07-30-2011 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 35512433)
Plus we had a hit of half a million in bonuses carry over from last year, which I am hoping won't happen again, but I am not counting it as new cap space because you never know how things will pan out with bonuses.

There is no bonus cushion this year. All bonuses HAVE to be paid in full this year, so there can be no carryover.

But we don't know what will happen in the next CBA, so it's premature to say how much cap space we will have.

azrok22 07-30-2011 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 35514193)
There is no bonus cushion this year. All bonuses HAVE to be paid in full this year, so there can be no carryover.

But we don't know what will happen in the next CBA, so it's premature to say how much cap space we will have.

The CBA does not expire until September, so we'll almost certainly have significant cap space to use on July 1st (keep in mind that in addition to the usual factors that cause the cap to increase, next year will be the first year that the new TV deal is calculated in the increase, which alone would contribute to a ~$3m increase per team if the deal is evenly spread out rather than backloaded).

Of course, even if the Rangers do have space on July 1st, the rug could be pulled out from under them in September when the CBA expires.

GAGLine 07-30-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrok22 (Post 35514341)
The CBA does not expire until September, so we'll almost certainly have significant cap space to use on July 1st (keep in mind that in addition to the usual factors that cause the cap to increase, next year will be the first year that the new TV deal is calculated in the increase, which alone would contribute to a ~$3m increase per team if the deal is evenly spread out rather than backloaded).

Of course, even if the Rangers do have space on July 1st, the rug could be pulled out from under them in September when the CBA expires.

Yeah, I don't know how that's going to work exactly, but I would guess that the league will try to get it all figured out prior to July 1st. I can't see them raising the cap and letting teams spend all kinds of money on free agents only to try to lower the cap come september, just before the season starts.

IMO, they should just announce that the cap will stay the same next year and then figure out if the players are going to get a lower percentage going forward. If they drop the player percentage to 50%, then just keep the cap the same until revenues increase to the point where the current cap number equals 50%. Once they hit that mark, then they can adjust the cap again based on revenues.

xxxZENxxx 07-30-2011 06:50 AM

I would kill to get Vanek or E.Staal on this team, but that is highly unlikely given how much each mean to their respective teams. Staal would probably take AA, McD, Kreider, and a 1st. I am not going overboard with that either. Probably not worth even talking about, because I for-see him being a career Hurricane.

In free agency next off season... Parise, Sharp and Semin (if they make it there) would definitely be targets for this team. Parise would be the most sought after UFA in the history of the NHL, so signing him would be no small task. But you better believe that Sather would do everything humanly possible to do so. He would definitely send a contingent in that case... lol. Zach is an unbelievably amazing fit for this team and would send the Rangers Cup chances into the stratosphere. It is just way too early to get too excited about it though.

Sharp would be a tremendous fall back option, but I HIGHLY doubt he makes it anywhere near free agency. Chicago will literally trade players away to retain him IMO.

I know many fans don't like Semin, because of his lack of toughness, but he is the elite goal-scorer this team desperately still needs. I can't argue with fans that say he doesn't fit the system well, but did one-dimensional players like Pavel Bure ever really fit a system? Nobody ever asked him to play D. Just go score goals. We have plenty of defensive players on this team that can make up for that. I guess the problem would be if Torts would lose his mind dealing with Semin. BTW- I would be surprised if Washington allowed Semin to get by the trade deadline without signing him to at least another one year deal. Otherwise, they would probably try to get something for him. Too much talent to let go in free agency.

azrok22 07-30-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 35514491)
Yeah, I don't know how that's going to work exactly, but I would guess that the league will try to get it all figured out prior to July 1st. I can't see them raising the cap and letting teams spend all kinds of money on free agents only to try to lower the cap come september, just before the season starts.

IMO, they should just announce that the cap will stay the same next year and then figure out if the players are going to get a lower percentage going forward. If they drop the player percentage to 50%, then just keep the cap the same until revenues increase to the point where the current cap number equals 50%. Once they hit that mark, then they can adjust the cap again based on revenues.

I am 100% positive that the only way the cap is lowered is if it is in conjunction with a salary rollback for existing contracts. There is no way in hell the league is going to create the ****storm that would happen if suddenly a whole bunch of guys had to be bought out.

GAGLine 07-30-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrok22 (Post 35514583)
I am 100% positive that the only way the cap is lowered is if it is in conjunction with a salary rollback for existing contracts. There is no way in hell the league is going to create the ****storm that would happen if suddenly a whole bunch of guys had to be bought out.

I don't know. With Fehr in charge of the NHLPA, I can't see them accepting another rollback. Of course, a lot depends on how much the cap is lowered, if at all. If it drops only 2 mil, that isn't that big of a deal and teams should be able to manage. They'll likely have compliance buyouts, but won't need rollbacks in that case.

Still, I think the best solution is just to freeze the cap where it is until 64.3 mil represents the new percentage that they negotiate. Then they don't have to worry about buyouts or rollbacks and teams will have cost certainty for at least a couple years while revenues catch up.

They may also want to tweak the way the cap is calculated. As it currently works, the top revenue teams are driving the cap and the lower revenue teams can't keep up. Rather than looking at all 30 teams' revenue, it might be a better idea to just look at the middle 10 teams. That way the higher end teams aren't skewing the numbers.

Ih8theislanders 07-30-2011 08:12 AM

If Parise hits UFA, I'd definitely advocate doing almost anything to sign him.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* 07-30-2011 08:14 AM

Need to look down the road some. These players coming off next year will need to be re-signed, or replaced. Also, need to see how things play out with the new CBA.

We're in no position to invest the salary of 5 players for 1.

bubba5 07-30-2011 08:17 AM

This is the pattern I have been talking about for 2 year, he would go to arbitration and get or settle before hand on a one year deal and hit UFA 7/1/2012, and I can't tell you how many shot that down. Now it is almost a reality and if this guy has a great October to January there is no way he will sign an extention with the Devs and will go UFA next July. Not saying he will come to the Rangers, but we have as good a chance as any team to gt him

xxxZENxxx 07-30-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion (Post 35515149)
Need to look down the road some. These players coming off next year will need to be re-signed, or replaced. Also, need to see how things play out with the new CBA.

We're in no position to invest the salary of 5 players for 1.

If it is Parise, Glen will move salary to make it happen. You can guarantee that.