HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Grade the team's offseason (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=961991)

Alvvays 08-01-2011 11:17 PM

Grade the team's offseason

Notable signings:

PlayerPositionLengthCap Hit
Brad RichardsC9 years$6.67M (NMC)
Ryan CallahanRW3 years$4.275M
Brandon DubinskyLW/C4 years$4.2M
Michael SauerD2 years$1.25M
Artem AnisimovC2 years$1.875M
Brian BoyleF3 years$1.7M
Steve EmingerD1 year$800K
Ruslan FedotenkoLW/RW1 year$1.4M
Michael RuppLW/C3 years$1.5M
Tim ErixonD3 years$1.75M

Misc: Christian Thomas (W) and Jonathan Miller (F) signed to 3 year entry level contracts.

Notable departures:

PlayerPositionLengthCap HitNew Team
Vinny ProspalF1 year$2.5MColumbus Blue Jackets
Chris DruryCN/AN/AUFA (Bought Out - $3.7M/$1.6M)
Alex FrolovW3 yearsN/AAvangard Omsk (KHL)
Bryan McCabeDN/AN/AN/A

Derek Boogaard, RIP.

Trades:

Evgeny Grachev, F, traded to St. Louis in exchange for the 72nd overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft (Steven Fogarty, C)

Brodie Dupont, F, traded to Nashville in exchange for Andreas Thuersson, F.

Roman Horak, F, the 45th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft (Markus Granlund, F), and the 57th overall pick in the NHL entry draft (Tyler Wortherspoon, D) traded to Calgary in exchange for Tim Erixon, D, and the 134th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft (Shane McColgan, W).

Ethan Werek, F, traded to Phoenix in exchange for Oscar Lindberg, F.

BlueshirtBlitz 08-01-2011 11:19 PM

A. Everything I wanted was done except possibly getting a top 6 LWer, but everyone was ridiculously overpaid so i'm glad Slats didn't bend.

Swedish Fish 08-01-2011 11:30 PM

Gotta go with A, the future looks awesome.

locked 08-01-2011 11:30 PM

A. I believe we have signed everyone that we wanted to sign for a relatively low price.

we want cup 08-01-2011 11:58 PM

Never want to say perfect. I'll go with B. Can't really say anything bad about any of the moves made, and for the most part they were extremely helpful.

ocarina 08-02-2011 12:03 AM

I said B, but I'm in the B+/A- category. Sather did everything he needed to do, and didn't overpay for anyone to do it. Only complaint I guess would be the lack of another reliable top 6 LW, but not everything can be solved in one offseason.

Inferno 08-02-2011 12:33 AM

B...perfect woulda been getting a LW to play with Richards and Gabby...that might have to happen next offseason though.

KingWantsCup 08-02-2011 03:14 AM

A, no doubt.

Levitate 08-02-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 35588927)
B...perfect woulda been getting a LW to play with Richards and Gabby...that might have to happen next offseason though.

Didn't have the money to do that this year IMO.

B+ in my mind. Got everyone re-signed for reasonable money, didn't have to get rid of anyone the team didn't want to. Like the Rupp and Emminger signings as well, no one got overpaid.

Like the Richards signing for a few reasons...obviously gives them a #1 center, hopefully helps get Gaborik back on track and gives the Rangers a legit first line. Without a #1 center like this I don't think the Rangers have a real chance to be contenders...now they might have a shot in the next 3-4 years or so. Cap hit works too

But, not thrilled with the length. I know that is what got the cap hit down but still not thrilled with 9 years, but what can you do.

Also really happy that a team like the Leafs didn't get Richards and improve themselves that much more.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-02-2011 08:10 AM

Ask me in June.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* 08-02-2011 08:25 AM

B). Very good.

Would have liked to see:

More years for Callahan. Less years for Richards.

Happy with the contracts for Boyle, Anisimov, and Sauer. Was worried one of AA/Boyle was going to get more than they deserve.

Still not thrilled about moving Grachev, regardless of whether he wanted to stay here or not. I think in a few years we'll kind of regret it, like the Korpikoski trade.

Love the Erixon trade. Love it. Hopefully he lives up to his scouting report.

I really like the Rupp signing. Not sure where Prust, Boyle, Avery, Fedetenko, and Rupp are going to play though. As usual, it seems like our bottom-6 is cluttered. As much as I like Rupp+Feds, their combined salary (And a Wolski trade/buyout) would have allowed us to bring in a more complete top-6 winger.

I'm not crazy about the opportunity's our kids will have this camp. Seems like the roster is all set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 35592343)
Ask me in June.

:laugh:

OldStanley 08-02-2011 08:37 AM

Call me bitter, I voted C, this is how the Rangers should have been run for a long time now, it should be considered the standard not an overachievement.

TrollololBoyle 08-02-2011 08:53 AM

I don't think any team's offseason ever deserves an A. B is about as perfect as any team can get in my opinion, unless they go above and beyond.

I voted B considering the Rangers got their man, but didn't fill up the LW spot. But then again, several FAs were overpaid, and Sather was not one of the people overpaying for their services, so getting a LW was not really an option. That can easily be filled at the trade deadline or free agency next year, which is what was expected anyway.

I'm more impressed at the fact that while most GMs who have screwed over their teams in the past never change plans and continue to screw over their team until their eventual firing, Sather has completely changed plans and has us headed in the right direction. It may seem weird for some of you, but right now I don't want any other GM than Sather for this team... I would have not said that 2 years ago.

Rangers35 08-02-2011 08:54 AM

i'd say very good. i was sad to see Gilroy go, but other than that... i'm very pleased.

KreiMeARiver* 08-02-2011 09:00 AM

We landed Brad Richards and signed our RFA's.

grade pending

The teacher doesn't grade your paper before you take the test.

RangerBoy 08-02-2011 09:20 AM

Sather elevated Jeff Gorton to AGM. Negotiates contracts. Added personnel duties. Sather gets an A+ right there.

azrok22 08-02-2011 09:34 AM

I had a hard time rectifying the letter grade with the description. To me, an A is not the equivalent of perfection.

If the first choice had been "A (Great)" I would've gone with that. I think the off season has been great, but not perfect (which is essentially an unattainable goal).

Since I couldn't go with perfection as my choice, I went with :B (very good)."

Overall, I'm thrilled with the off season so far.

Darrelle Lundqvist 08-02-2011 09:42 AM

A. Without a doubt.

clemsonRanger 08-02-2011 09:50 AM

voted B it was very good, but wish we locked up callahan and drafted alittle better, but we will see

pld459666 08-02-2011 10:22 AM

I hate the Perfect comment, but I gave this off-season an A

beastly115 08-02-2011 10:36 AM

A+. We addressed a huge need with Richards and didn't go overboard with the cap hit. And we signed a good team guy that fits our style of play perfectly in Rupp.

We re-signed our RFA's to reasonable deals.

We got rid of Drury - addition by subtraction.

Very happy with everything.

HatTrick Swayze 08-02-2011 10:38 AM

I can't say it was absolutely "perfect" but I still give the offseason an A.

Between Richards, locking up our young core (wish Cally was a little longer), trading for Erixon, and having an absolutely fantastic draft (this is purely my opinion) it was damn close.

slipknottin 08-02-2011 11:28 AM

B, like everything but the Richards deal.

JanErixon20 08-02-2011 11:32 AM

To quote my 3 year old after I help him out with something....."perfect."

Inferno 08-02-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 35592275)
Didn't have the money to do that this year IMO.

B+ in my mind. Got everyone re-signed for reasonable money, didn't have to get rid of anyone the team didn't want to. Like the Rupp and Emminger signings as well, no one got overpaid.

Like the Richards signing for a few reasons...obviously gives them a #1 center, hopefully helps get Gaborik back on track and gives the Rangers a legit first line. Without a #1 center like this I don't think the Rangers have a real chance to be contenders...now they might have a shot in the next 3-4 years or so. Cap hit works too

But, not thrilled with the length. I know that is what got the cap hit down but still not thrilled with 9 years, but what can you do.

Also really happy that a team like the Leafs didn't get Richards and improve themselves that much more.

we could have though...buy out wolski, avery, and dont sign Fedotenko...either way, its probably smarter to go after Parise in the offseason and not have to give up any assets for him anyway.