HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   How's Cody Franson's skating? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=962255)

gravyface 08-02-2011 12:02 PM

How's Cody Franson's skating?

Seeing mixed feedback/opinions here and there online. Don't recall him being particularly fast or slow in the few NASH playoff games I watched, but I wasn't really paying close attention to him either.

Top 6 Spaling 08-02-2011 12:10 PM

Slow. Very slow. but his offensive skills make up for it.

deanwormer 08-02-2011 12:30 PM

I think he could outskate Belak..... His first step is slow, his top-end is slow. He handles the puck ok when he's skating.

triggrman 08-02-2011 01:28 PM

He's top 10 in the slowest in the league category

gravyface 08-02-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 35601107)
He's top 10 in the slowest in the league category

See, now this is the complete opposite of what I've read in his scouting reports.

triggrman 08-02-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravyface (Post 35601311)
See, now this is the complete opposite of what I've read in his scouting reports.

Those scouts lied.

I like Franson, love his shot and his ability to get the shot through traffic, but he's a horrible skater.

TMI 08-02-2011 01:37 PM

He isn't molasses slow, but he's slow. It's almost like he doesn't understand aerodynamics or something. I think part of it comes from his lack of hockey IQ. He looks slow because he isn't completely sure where to be, and it takes him a second to make that decision. His first step still isn't that great, and his stride could use some work. I don't think his backwards skating is terrible, but it still isn't great. He is fine provided he doesn't have the puck stolen off of his stick at the blueline by a skater with any kind of speed. If he's having to chase after a fresh skater with even average speed you had better hope he can lay down on the ice and his reach is enough to knock the puck off of the stick. Otherwise it's going to be a solid scoring chance.

And I agree that the scouts who have written some of those reports are really hyping Franson up. The positive comments about his offense are pretty much all true. He does have good offensive instincts. His defense is average, and his overall skating is bad.

Broom of the System 08-02-2011 01:41 PM

Franson starts out ridiculously slow, but once he gets up to top speed, he's only very slow.

gravyface 08-02-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 35601417)
He isn't molasses slow, but he's slow. It's almost like he doesn't understand aerodynamics or something. I think part of it comes from his lack of hockey IQ. He looks slow because he isn't completely sure where to be, and it takes him a second to make that decision. His first step still isn't that great, and his stride could use some work. I don't think his backwards skating is terrible, but it still isn't great. He is fine provided he doesn't have the puck stolen off of his stick at the blueline by a skater with any kind of speed. If he's having to chase after a fresh skater with even average speed you had better hope he can lay down on the ice and his reach is enough to knock the puck off of the stick. Otherwise it's going to be a solid scoring chance.

And I agree that the scouts who have written some of those reports are really hyping Franson up. The positive comments about his offense are pretty much all true. He does have good offensive instincts. His defense is average, and his overall skating is bad.

I think this sums it up nicely:
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ake-on-franson

TMI 08-02-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravyface (Post 35601631)

Essentially, yes. I think that's the consensus around here. If Toronto can give him PP time but protect his ES minutes he will be a fine defenseman. If Wilson starts trying to play Franson against top six talent, or if the home team can take advantage of last change by putting out top six talent against Franson (I'm not sure how good Wilson is at rolling his lines and pairings) he will be booed in Toronto. Like the blog said, he will be solid on most nights, or at least he was here. A lot of that had to do with Trotz being able to keep him away from top end forward talent.

edit: not sure if you've seen this, but it gives a very small taste of his defense, his skating, and his offensive awareness. You can see he likes to fish for the puck rather than try to use his size. He seems faster in the video than he really is because Legwand has to slow down to take a pass that was behind him. Then, of course he puts the moves on none other than the beast-in-net himself, Dan Ellis :laugh:

gravyface 08-02-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 35601903)
Essentially, yes. I think that's the consensus around here. If Toronto can give him PP time but protect his ES minutes he will be a fine defenseman. If Wilson starts trying to play Franson against top six talent, or if the home team can take advantage of last change by putting out top six talent against Franson (I'm not sure how good Wilson is at rolling his lines and pairings) he will be booed in Toronto. Like the blog said, he will be solid on most nights, or at least he was here. A lot of that had to do with Trotz being able to keep him away from top end forward talent.

He'll be on our 3rd pairing probably playing along side Gunnarsson, who's a good puck mover and skates pretty well.

He could also be paired with Komisarek, which would be a slow turnover-prone line... say, in the market for an overpaid, defensive liability? :sarcasm:

TMI 08-02-2011 02:01 PM

Naa we already have to figure out what to do with the one we have :laugh:

Putting him with a stay-at-home defenseman is ideal, but a mobile defenseman should be good enough. It's even better if you can keep him on the ice with some good defensive forwards or two-way guys.

gravyface 08-02-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 35602193)
Naa we already have to figure out what to do with the one we have :laugh:

Putting him with a stay-at-home defenseman is ideal, but a mobile defenseman should be good enough. It's even better if you can keep him on the ice with some good defensive forwards or two-way guys.

Komisarek should be that stay-at-home guy but he's so prone to mental gaffs when he's looking for the big hit, not to mention his defensive awareness is mediocre at best. No idea what Burke saw in that guy to offer him that kind of coin.

Shea Weber 08-02-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broom of the System (Post 35601533)
Franson starts out ridiculously slow, but once he gets up to top speed, he's only very slow.

I lol'd

Top 6 Spaling 08-02-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shea Weber (Post 35603625)
I lol'd

Shouldn't you be off at an arbitration hearing or something?

I Will Son 08-02-2011 04:03 PM

Franson is slow. But he can deke

triggrman 08-02-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Will Son (Post 35606091)
Franson is slow. But he can deke

He's got a stick that can reach half way around the rink, of course he can deke...

I Will Son 08-02-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 35606123)
He's got a stick that can reach half way around the rink, of course he can deke...

hahaha he is a tree

kakemono 08-02-2011 04:56 PM

I didn't think his skating was really that bad. Slowww, but not bad. He actually seems like a very fluid sure-footed skater, but it is slow.

It also probably seems slower than he really is because his size, but make no mistake... he is slow...