HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   how did you fall in love with the habs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=962277)

donghabs98 08-02-2011 12:41 PM

how did you fall in love with the habs

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/201....html#comments

like what he asks "how did you fall in love with the habs?"

I have a confession to make when i started watching Hockey i was a leafs fan. then i saw then got beat by MTL and that stuck in my mind. days later i was watching the sens in the 08 playoffs and saw they got beat pretty badly. with 2 teams i surpported getting beat pretty badly and realizing how bad the leafs was my hockey heart was open and when i changed the channel to cbc and saw MTL beating BOS 5-0 in game 7 i knew at that monment that i was a MTL fan and i stayed with the team ever since going though that 08-09 season and barely making the playoffs in 2010 and that run in 2010

so how did you fall in love with MTL

VanNistelrooy 08-02-2011 12:43 PM

I was born in the province of québec.

shamrun 08-02-2011 12:45 PM

my mom would cheer for the habs as i kicked around in her stomach.

Gros Bonhomme 08-02-2011 12:46 PM

Born and grew up here in the city of Montreal. Naturally, I was subjected to the Habs from a very young age.

Of course, it's possible to be from a city and not liking your home team. But to me, the Habs is Montreal. Montreal is my city and my pride. The habs are my team. I have been to a few places in North America in my life but this is the place I call home and nothing else comes close.

11Goat11 08-02-2011 12:50 PM

When your father, grandfather, and great grandfather, were all Habs fans you pretty much don't have a choice to become a fan of the team.

But when I really fell in love with them was the 85-86 Cup win when I was 8. I had watched the team for a few years with my father, even cried when they lost to the Nords the year before, but that run sealed the deal for me. I got to stay up late and watch Claude Lemieux and Patrick Roy's heroics, I was pretty much hooked forever.

As I say to my wife "The Habs are not a matter of life and death, they are way more important than that!"

Zaide 08-02-2011 12:52 PM

I lived in Quebec, in a family whose love was all for the Nordiques. But for some reasons, I tend to hate all the teams of my hometown (Nordiques, Remparts, etc.), so I was not converted into a Nordiques fan.

As to how I became a Habs fan, that's quite weird. I started watching hockey during the 2003-04 playoffs, but had no favourite team. However, during the lockout season, in primary school, I had a new teacher, and he was a huge hockey fan, and an even bigger Habs fan. Since he was my favourite teacher at the time, I did some researches on a project I made on the Habs, and learned all their history and such. Then, I decided to watch some games, but didn't know it was the lockout, so I ended up on old games from 1993. The next year though, I really started watching every game. And that's how I became a Habs fan, in a city where nothing is more hated than them.

ScottFC 08-02-2011 12:59 PM

I started off as just a hockey fan, was a huge Brodeur fan so cheered for the devils a lot but mostly I'm a hockey fan so I didn't really love any team. The year after the lockout was when I really started watching hockey and as I watched habs games and learnt more and more about the incredible history of the franchise I just fell in love with them. When Carey Price was drafter by the Habs and I saw him play it cemented my love for this team, I love the guy and love the idea of building around a franchise goalie like him.

Jigger77 08-02-2011 01:03 PM

Born in Ontario. Dad told me that's the team we cheer for.

Coldplay 08-02-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigger77 (Post 35600215)

Dad taught you well.

PricePkPatch 08-02-2011 01:08 PM

The 93 playoff run. I didn actually watched it, for I was too young and it was lights out @ 8:00, but I do remember vividly the cartoons showing on the sport book of La Presse.

I would be sad or cheer based on these, and I would understand that something good or bad happened that way. I never looked back.

(although my dad and entire high school being sold to the Bleu-Blanc-Rouge probably didn't help. But I kept being a fan even when my sold out neighbors went Avalance and Michael Schumaker. Traitor.)

Andros777 08-02-2011 01:11 PM

I just am one. Can't remember a time I wasn't.

overlords 08-02-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigger77 (Post 35600215)

Had no idea you were born in ontario. Cool.

Similar for me, except my family goes back to being in Montreal for many generations. Watching the habs was the #1 thing I'd want to do on the few chances I got to see my dad. He died 2 years ago, but I'll be putting a puck near his urn soon.

Jigger77 08-02-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldplay (Post 35600397)
Dad taught you well.

Yup. He's 85 so he's seen the glory days. Tells me a lot of stories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 35600655)
Had no idea you were born in ontario. Cool.

Similar for me, except my family goes back to being in Montreal for many generations. Watching the habs was the #1 thing I'd want to do on the few chances I got to see my dad. He died 2 years ago, but I'll be putting a puck near his urn soon.

I'm a man of many mysteries my friend. :laugh:

Sorry to hear about your dad man.

habsjunkie2* 08-02-2011 01:24 PM

My uncle who was largely responsible for much of my upbringing was a Nordiques fan and I decided to go against him from the beginning, I'm not sure why. I have been told that I was the only 3yr old boy he knew that would watch a game intently from start to finish, but I just couldn't cheer for the Nords.

katatoniak 08-02-2011 01:29 PM

Born in Mistassini (North of lac-St-Jean) I've played hockey from 1991 to 2004 but never actually watched it on tv. Start watching it in the 04 playoffs. Take a one year break the next season before falling in love with the habs.

montreal 08-02-2011 01:32 PM

I lived in philly as a kid in the '80's, when was I young say 8 or so I had been playing soccer for a couple years when a couple of the older kids on my street would play hockey and one day they were short a player so they told me to pick up a stick and I fell in love with the game ever since. But being in philly, while I liked the flyers (was a big Mark Howe fan in the mid '80's) but hated their fans, who only seemed to care about fighting and hitting which were two things that I couldn't care less about as a player. To me scoring goals was the greatest thing you could do and the only thing I cared about as a kid.

So in '85 or '86 my dad took me to the flyers game vs the Habs (went to a couple games each year since we lived 10-15 minutes outside of sout philly) I could not believe what I saw. The way they skated, passed the puck around, just blew me away especially when I saw Mats Naslund who I thought was a wizard with the puck and as a 10 year old I was as big as him so I thought if he can do so can I!

After that I read everything I could on the Habs, clipped all the articles in the paper on Naslund and other Habs (loved watching Richer fly down the wing and then fire it top shelf). I got a Naslund jersey in '88 or '89 (still fits sort of, but only break it out for playoff games). I don't really recall too much from the '86 cup but I still want to puke everytime I think about Lanny Macdonald scoring on Roy in the '89 finals as I knew as soon as he scored that one it was over. (but '93 made up for it, as it was the greatest playoff experience of my life, so much fun to witness that game by game with all those OT's)

Jakomyte 08-02-2011 01:33 PM

Grew up in Montreal with a Dad and older brother that both followed hockey, although we were probably light-to-moderate fans at best. I was 9 when we won the 1993 cup. Living only 3 blocks from the Forum, we could hear the craziness on the streets from our house.

Became disinterested as of about 1995 or so, but caught the bug again in my late teens during the second half of the 2001-2002 season, when Theodore had his Hart/Vezina run and Koivu came back from cancer. Have been following the team closely ever since. Had a few seasons (I think the first two post-lockout) where I watched every game on TV. Life has gotten busier since, and while I still pay attention to every game, I probably only watch about 1 per week.

M.C.G. 31 08-02-2011 01:35 PM

Born in Montreal, and my entire family is a Habs fan. If I cheered for any other team, it just wouldn't be right.

neofury* 08-02-2011 01:47 PM

Born in Montreal, dad is a diehard fan since the 60s.

No way in HELL I'd root for any other team instead. I do have a few faves though. Chicago, St. Louis, Calgary(less now), and I liked Atlanta already so I'll probably start liking Winnipeg too. I think Atlanta was one of the few if only teams on the East I could stomach cheering for :laugh:

PS: I can't believe already how many people are saying they started watching in the mid 2000's.

I was born in 85 and watched all of the 93 cup run! It was incredible! Honestly I think I started watching probably around 6 years old so 90-91 ish. I obviously was not allowed to stay up late for the entire game most of the time just like another poster who had to go to bed at 8! But my dad let me watch a lot of the 93 run and insisted to my mom that I be allowed to stay up.

I remember myself and one other kid in class both were massive habs fans and the rest of the kids were into other things. Surprising when you look at how big the habs are in Montreal.

Crimson Skorpion 08-02-2011 01:58 PM

My mother didn't care much for hockey.
My father was a Leafs fan.
My uncle was a Bruins fan.

At the age of four, I sat down in front of the TV and watched the Habs. No other team got me as excited as the Habs did. I watched the Bruins with my uncle and liked them too, but the Habs have been and always will be my favourite team.

durojean 08-02-2011 01:58 PM

I was a die hard Nordique fan when I was young. But everyone knows the story... They left. So I didn't have a team for something like 5 years. I was just watching a little of hockey because it was still interesting but not that much. Then, came the year when the CH were a their lowest and they became the underdogs.

Everyone of my friends were saying they were bad so a decided to routh for the underdog. Then, came the passion of watching hockey and the joy in my heart when my team won... I was converted. Almost never missed a game since 2000

Capitano 08-02-2011 01:59 PM

Born and raised in Toronto, but both my dad and grandfather were hab fans...my earliest memories were of Steve Penney...

Each passing year I find myself finding something else to love about the CH.

PricePkPatch 08-02-2011 02:02 PM

We should have a pool to determine how many converted are amongst us, compared to the Habs-bred.

overlords 08-02-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 35602213)
We should have a pool to determine how many converted are amongst us, compared to the Habs-bred.

Only pure bloods count. No mudbloods.

JSBach 08-02-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katatoniak (Post 35601159)
Born in Mistassini (North of lac-St-Jean) I've played hockey from 1991 to 2004 but never actually watched it on tv. Start watching it in the 04 playoffs. Take a one year break the next season before falling in love with the habs.

Wow, that's sounds a lot like a friend I have who played AAA but never really watched hockey. But I guess to get to and stay at that level of play one wouldn't really have the time to watch games very often.