HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   OT: Good free Fantasy Hockey sites? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=962915)

NumberFive 08-03-2011 12:36 PM

Good free Fantasy Hockey sites?

Since Fantasy Hockey seasons are just around the corner, I wanted to toss this out. Forgive me if the general populace already knows the answers to this!

I've been involved with Yahoo Fantasy Hockey for 4 years now, and for a free site it's OK, but I'm curious to know what else is out there that's worth checking out. Has to be a free site, I'm not a gambler and can't see spending money on something I can do for free elsewhere. Also, I like having 'private' leagues as opposed to 'public' leagues (I've been commissioner of 2 leagues, both private). Beyond that, I'm not overly picky, but the more bells and whistles that are available, the better! Anyone know of anything? Thanks!

wingz rule 08-03-2011 12:40 PM

I've gone through a few free fantasy hockey sites and yahoo is the best by far. The way its organized as well as the features on it outmatch any of the other current free sites.

Big Poppa Puck 08-03-2011 01:01 PM

ESPN is pretty good.

NumberFive 08-03-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel (Post 35629357)
ESPN is pretty good.

I was checking them out, what's the difference between League Manager and Standard Free?

WingedWheel1987 08-03-2011 01:23 PM

I use Yahoo for fantasy football and its fantastic. I would assume its very good for hockey too.

NumberFive 08-03-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 (Post 35630197)
I use Yahoo for fantasy football and its fantastic. I would assume its very good for hockey too.

It is, and it's quite versatile, but in my H2H leagues I have a rule involving abandoned teams and how it's handled. Ideally, I'd like to be able to go back in time and alter points awarded for past weeks when a team is abandoned by its manager, but Yahoo doesn't allow for that, which creates a bit of a sticky situation. (Without getting into too much detail, abandoned teams forfeit all points going forward, but it's a little more complex than that.) Still, it's not a bad setup, I've been pretty satisfied with them the past 4 years.

Shoalzie 08-03-2011 01:52 PM

ESPN and Yahoo! are the best of the free major sites. CBS is the most customizable and in depth but you have to pay that their league manager. ESPN has the better features if you're doing a keeper league. Yahoo! is better for yearly leagues with no keeper/dynasty element.

NumberFive 08-03-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 35631603)
ESPN and Yahoo! are the best of the free major sites. CBS is the most customizable and in depth but you have to pay that their league manager. ESPN has the better features if you're doing a keeper league. Yahoo! is better for yearly leagues with no keeper/dynasty element.

On that note, I've never participated in a keeper league before...what sort of differences do you see between keepers and non-keepers? (Apart from keeping your players year-over-year, of course...)

jaster 08-03-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 35631603)

Yahoo actually added several keeper features this past year or two. You can designate keepers and trade future draft picks now, for instance.

I've been using yahoo for I think about 12 or 13 years and have always been happy with them. In general, I prefer yahoo over ESPN. One great thing about them is that they are constantly striving to make a better product. An improvement is always right around the corner.

Big Poppa Puck 08-03-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NumberFive (Post 35630135)

I was checking them out, what's the difference between League Manager and Standard Free?

I forget I haven't created a new league on there in a while as mines carry over. I know you can create and commissioner your own league for free.

But they also have a pay to play one with meaningless features.

The Silver Lining 08-03-2011 11:56 PM

Forgive me if this is a silly question as I'm new here, but is there any kind of yearly HF league?

NumberFive 08-04-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronwalld (Post 35651087)
Forgive me if this is a silly question as I'm new here, but is there any kind of yearly HF league?

How do you mean? Are you looking for a league where you keep your players and have the same team on the same league season after season (that's a keeper league), or one where you start fresh each year (non-keeper)?

There's no HF leagues that exist year-round, as they're tied directly into the NHL season. No NHL games, no fantasy hockey.

(Trying to address the different possible ways you meant your question.)

ProPAIN 08-04-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronwalld (Post 35651087)

We do have a Red Wings HFBoards league on Yahoo which is hosted by one of the mods (don't know if that is going to continue). Last year we had two because there was a lot of demand. I was runner up in one and got owned in the other (stupid Kovalchuk).

I would wait until at least September for news about fantasy hockey leagues. They are non-keeper leagues btw.

NumberFive 08-04-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProPAIN (Post 35654119)
We do have a Red Wings HFBoards league on Yahoo which is hosted by one of the mods (don't know if that is going to continue). Last year we had two because there was a lot of demand. I was runner up in one and got owned in the other (stupid Kovalchuk).

I would wait until at least September for news about fantasy hockey leagues. They are non-keeper leagues btw.

I hear ya about Kovalchuk. I tried to draft for him (lost), then breathed a sigh of relief after I saw the year he was having.

Excellent news about the HFBoards league, I'll be sure to look for it! Thanks!

r0bert8841 08-04-2011 01:51 PM

ESPN and Yahoo are the 2 I have played in. I tried ESPN for the first time last year, and I felt their was more depth than Yahoo, although I can't really put my finger on why, maybe it was the leagues I was in.

Their were also 2 fantasy leagues last year for HFBoards Red Wings board. I participated in both and did alright (got lucky beating Boxcats in the Championship in 1 league, and have Miller screw me in the playoffs in the other where I ended up in 6th). They were definently fun and active.

winger7020 08-04-2011 05:14 PM

Im actually pretty intrigued with this fantasy stuff this year. I have never done it for any sport ever. I want to give a try this year, i dont know what i am doing at all really but if anyone is looking to add someone to their league let me know i will try it out.

ESunlin 08-04-2011 09:32 PM

Shoalzie and I ran the ones last year. This year, I am definitely not going to have the time to run or even participate...

I don't know if Shoalzie is still going to run one? I don't know if the demand will be high enough to need two. Later this month/into September will be time enough to figure that out.

MissNHL 08-04-2011 11:00 PM

I always use yahoo for fantasy hockey. Last year I was in 4 leagues. I run my own, do a general one, participate in an all girls one and then last year I was in one from the official wings message board.

I will most likely be in 3 this year unless there is one on here then I might do that if it's a yahoo one.

Oh and I was able to handle 4 because on Sunday I would do my weekly line-ups and then check to make sure there were no injuries when I would check my email.

Shoalzie 08-05-2011 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESunlin (Post 35677093)
Shoalzie and I ran the ones last year. This year, I am definitely not going to have the time to run or even participate...

I don't know if Shoalzie is still going to run one? I don't know if the demand will be high enough to need two. Later this month/into September will be time enough to figure that out.

Yeah, I can't play either. I'll be happy to help you guys get a league together but I'm sticking with my existing keeper and dynasty leagues.

Filppula 08-05-2011 08:22 AM

I'd love to go into a Yahoo Wings HFBoards league if possible...

locked 08-06-2011 12:15 AM

What site has free keeper leagues?

r0bert8841 08-06-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersForLife (Post 35709929)

I know Yahoo and ESPN do.

ProPAIN 08-06-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersForLife (Post 35709929)

Yahoo definitely has them but you have to look for them or start one. I'm in one but we're not looking to expand for the moment.

chances14 08-08-2011 12:14 PM

espn's league manager tools are a ton more user friendly than yahoo's. i also prefer espn's draft softwrae and layout over yahoo's

corpfan1 02-10-2013 12:49 AM

There is a pretty good list I found here:

http://www.playdailyfantasyhockey.co...-hockey-sites/