HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Is Alex Burrows Overrated? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=964275)

SabresFan44 08-05-2011 04:18 PM

Is Alex Burrows Overrated?

My brother thinks so many players in the leeague are better then this guy, he's a Bruins fan.

I never got why he was so big but he has done well, but then again he is put out with thre twins.

What do you think?

Flyerfan808 08-05-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresFan44 (Post 35699083)
My brother thinks so many players in the leeague are better then this guy, he's a Bruins fan.

I never got why he was so big but he has done well, but then again he is put out with thre twins.

What do you think?

There's a thread about this:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=35218997

Give a look through there and see how many people have him on their rosters.
Spoiler Alert... your friend has no idea what he is talking about.

Horvat2Virtanen 08-05-2011 04:22 PM

He's far from overrated everyone thinks he's a product of the twins but that's frankly not true, Burrows makes the Sedins better player, obviously the Sedins also make Burrows a better player, but he's not a product of them seeing as when he's paired with Ryan Kesler he scores at a similar pace.

The Finnish MacInnis* 08-05-2011 04:22 PM

Yeah man, Burrows turns tricks for bus fare..........then walks home!!!!! Heyoooooo!!!!!

Placebo Effect 08-05-2011 04:48 PM

Sabres fan making a thread about a Canuck player being overrated. Trying to take the heat off your team after they were getting overrated? And using a Bruins fan for an opinion.

Definitely not a troll thread
/sarcasm

AntonRodin* 08-05-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

What do you think?

I'm not sure why you're not surprised.

FinHockey 08-05-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

My brother thinks so many players in the leeague are better then this guy,

Maybe because it's true?

mpp9 08-05-2011 05:10 PM

The Sedins could use a bigger body with a little higher skillset but in the cap world, he serves his purpose on that line. Being a 30+ goal scorer is nothing to sneeze at either.

PointL00kout 08-05-2011 05:10 PM

Yes he's overated big time. Sedins make him look good.

nitric 08-05-2011 05:11 PM

Well obviously there are many better players than Burrows in the NHL. But he isn't really overrated. He is pretty good and is one of only a handful of Canucks who really turn the heat on in the playoffs. He can be pretty clutch. He's an annoying pain in the ass if he is not on your team, which means he does his job well. Just be careful... he bites;) Yeah, ok, I know...

DL44 08-05-2011 05:13 PM

He appears rated just fine...
I don't think he has many fans outside of Van, does he?
Most can't stand the guy and completely discredit his contribution at every turn...

Fact is, the chemistry he has with the twins is a fairly rare one that no one throughout canuck recent history really has been able to duplicate over a significant period of time... maybe in me saying that alone overrates him... but not bertuzzi, naslund, kesler, morrison...

Anson Carter? 33g... but he failed to reciprocate as well as Burrows has been able to.

Do most think he's a top line player on any team... i don't think so...

But he's as versatile as they come and at an extremely high value contract... oops... did i overrate him again?

chopkins 08-05-2011 05:25 PM

He's a fan favourite in Vancouver but a relative unknown (compared to Sedins/Kesler) everywhere else aside from the biting incident. People think he's a product of the Sedins. That alone makes him underrated. Yes, his goals/points are inflated somewhat, but so are the Sedins' numbers. They were PPG players until Burrows was moved up to their line, and now they score 100. He's also finished top 10 in Selke voting.

He plays well on any line he's on, from the 4th line five years ago, to forming one of the best shutdown 3rd lines in the league with Kesler a few years ago, to scoring 30 goals on the top line. He's never taken a shift off in the NHL. All while making $2 million. He's one of those players who knows he's lucky to play in this league. He could have asked for more after his last contract but took such a low amount because he knows his role on the team. That's as unselfish as they come. He's one of the best bargains in the NHL. That's not overrating, that's just fact.

Sevanston 08-05-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewEnglandBrownBear (Post 35700441)
Well obviously there are many better players than Burrows in the NHL. But he isn't really overrated. He is pretty good and is one of only a handful of Canucks who really turn the heat on in the playoffs. He can be pretty clutch. He's an annoying pain in the ass if he is not on your team, which means he does his job well. Just be careful... he bites;) Yeah, ok, I know...

This year, yeah, he turned it up for the playoffs.

His other three playoff years? He topped out at 0.5 PPG, and averaged 0.33.

Now, that's not to say he wasn't good (I didn't watch all of the games, Canucks fans would have a better clue as to whether or not he was good), but from a pure stats perspective, I wouldn't describe it as "turning on the heat".

the beat 08-05-2011 05:30 PM

Burrows is underrated. He has come up with some of the biggest goals in Canucks history and he is one of the most clutch players on the team. At his cap hit, he's one of the biggest bargains in the league.

He's just a hated player, which means he's doing his job.

Aspirine 08-05-2011 05:30 PM

Overrated? Lol. No one likes him here.

El Cohiba 08-05-2011 05:33 PM

Is Burrows overrated? No.
Is Burrows a dbag? Hell yes

Gootie 08-05-2011 05:35 PM

He's a very useful player, can PP, PK, productive goal scorer etc. Most fans (like me) hate all the BS he brings with it.

LiquidSnake 08-05-2011 05:37 PM

A few Sabres fans give the masses a bad name.

Burrows is a great player for what he is. Noone is going to call him elite or anything. He's an important piece to a team that wants to win.

If people separated their hate for him from his talent, anyone would take him on their team. Especially at that price.

Similar to my hate for Marchand. But I wont deny how skilled he is and I'd love for him to be a Canuck. He's a great player for what he is.

mrmyheadhurts 08-05-2011 05:48 PM

I have a better/tougher question, is there are Canuck that's not overrated?

Habitat 08-05-2011 05:51 PM

As a canucks fan Burrows is just one of those players that I cant see doing that great on other teams but the way he fits with the sedins I feel he doesn't have that great of value to other teams but to vancouver he has an enormous value.

NoShowWilly 08-05-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts (Post 35701435)
I have a better/tougher question, is there are Canuck that's not overrated?

can't think of one. Hamhuis maybe?

Noir 08-05-2011 06:13 PM

Overrated how? As a player, the guy has absolutely now hype whatsoever or any celebrity-like attention.

If his name is starting to go around in his professional circle, it just means he's doing something right.

y2kcanucks 08-05-2011 06:16 PM

He's a great 2-way player who can score 35 goals a season. Definitely not overrated, and given his contract he's one of the biggest (if not the biggest) bargain in the NHL.

KnightofBoston 08-05-2011 06:21 PM

If overrated is somehow a code for has a taste for human flesh, then yes

Talk Hockey 08-05-2011 06:30 PM

Yes I think he's a bit overrated.