HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Where would you rank the Hawks offense? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=964663)

Puckgenius* 08-06-2011 03:22 PM

Where would you rank the Hawks offense?

The remarkable thing is after losing Ladd, Buff, Versteeg, Soup, Kopecky, Brouwer, (thats A LOT of talent) this team is still loaded up front and even though most just focus on their BIG 4, but all round theyre very solid and I still rank them top 5. Look for a break out year for Olesz, this kid is skilled. I mean realistically how many teams have a guy of Hossas calibre as their 4th best forward and on their 2nd PP unit? Not many.

I think their offense is upgraded this year with the aquisition of Brunette (underrated 50pt man) and Olesz (whos been in the dogpound in FLA and a very decent #6 forward).

Lines I would like to see

Olesz-Toews-Kane (would have Brunette but dont think he has the speed to keep up with Toews and Kane)
Brunette-Sharp-Hossa
Bickell-Bolland-Frolik
Carcillo-Kruger-Smith
x-Morin

clownshoes 08-06-2011 03:28 PM

They have a solid top 6 and decent depth. Goaltending is going to make or break thier playoff hopes imo. If Emery works out, Crawford/Emery is a great 1-2 playoff punch.

Puckgenius* 08-06-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clownshoes (Post 35719791)
They have a solid top 6 and decent depth. Goaltending is going to make or break thier playoff hopes imo. If Emery works out, Crawford/Emery is a great 1-2 playoff punch.

Even though Crawford will be a sophmore, I have no doubt hes the real deal after watching him last playoffs. He will be solid and Emery will be a decent backup playing 25-30 games but I dont see him taking the #1 spot.

GuineaPig 08-06-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckgenius (Post 35719923)
Even though Crawford will be a sophmore, I have no doubt hes the real deal after watching him last playoffs. He will be solid and Emery will be a decent backup playing 25-30 games but I dont see him taking the #1 spot.

It's called regression to the mean (or as the pundits say, "sophomore slump"). See Howard, Jimmy, or Price, Carey, for two (recent) goalies who played better than Crawford in their first year, and then suffered a large performance drop in year two.

I don't think it is at all guaranteed that Crawford will play well next year.

SabresFan44 08-06-2011 04:41 PM

Top 10 Offense this year:

1) Was
2) Pit
3) Tampa
4) Buffalo
5) Vacouver
6) Detroit
7) Boston
8) Ducks
9) Sharks
10) Chicago

Gustav Nyquist 08-06-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresFan44 (Post 35721001)
Top 10 Offense this year:

1) Was
2) Pit
3) Tampa
4) Buffalo
5) Vacouver
6) Detroit
7) Boston
8) Ducks
9) Sharks
10) Chicago

Lol? :help:

Gootie 08-06-2011 05:01 PM

Offense will be top 7...I'd like to see more offense out of their blue liners though.

Puckgenius* 08-06-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gootie (Post 35721361)
Offense will be top 7...I'd like to see more offense out of their blue liners though.

The hawks have two capable 50+ pt dmen haha, not many teams have that luxury.

No Fun Shogun 08-06-2011 05:06 PM

Hard to say, as a lot of it depends on how they handle a longer offseason and if that does that good, but I'd say that they are a top 10 offense regardless and potentially a top 5 if things go well. Toews + Kane + Sharp + a rested Hossa could be scary in and of itself, our defense and Crawford should be solid, and our depth/muscle should help our endurance and physicality this time around.

Gootie 08-06-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckgenius (Post 35721403)
The hawks have two capable 50+ pt dmen haha, not many teams have that luxury.

It seems like the Hawks are one of the worst teams at getting shots to (and on) net. Way too many slapshots blasted into a forward's kneepads or wide off the glass.

SabresFan44 08-06-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarnkrok (Post 35721079)
Lol? :help:

What? We finished 3rd last year without Roy and Pominville, now they're both set to go with the additions we have made and our young stars emerging.

People undderate Buffao offensively at a disgusting rate here. God I want the season to start.

eldiablo17 08-06-2011 05:13 PM

I would rank it as high as 3rd and as low as 6th in the West and anywhere between 8-12 league-wide.

Boooooth10 08-06-2011 05:15 PM

Olesz on the top line!? That won't last long...

crazyforhockey 08-06-2011 05:20 PM

Considering they lost alot of offence going into last year they scored remarkable well

only a drop of 13g but they gave up 16 more goals a swing of 29goals

the big 4 (Toews,Kane,Hossa,Sharp)scored 118g compared to 140g by everyone else

as opposed to the big year when they scored 104 compared to 167g by everyone else

and it was apparent that by the third period...they couldnt keep a lead.. relying to much on the top core.

and their cup year with their depth of solid performers game in gameout......they came in waves shift after shift.

now the question will be again can they get enough scoring throughout the lineup to bolster their top 5....

brouwer,pisani, Kopecky dowell out (45 goals out ) Brunette in 18 goals full season of frolic 8more???....young guys hitting their stride..... better bottom pairing to help move the puck(less campbells pm ability)

overall their offence is solid....defence is solid crawford solid (uncertainity ie sophmore? and uncertainty in back up.... cap space to correct some problems

IndianCommitted 08-06-2011 05:28 PM

I don't think Olesz will even make the Hawks roster. They moved out Campbell to clear cap space and have plenty of depth as far as forwards go. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a scratch or most likely in Rockford next year.

The top line most likely will be

Brunette - Toews - Kane

Also, it all depends on injuries. If Hossa and Bolland can stay healthy that is a HUGE difference. Last season they played 126 games combined (compared to 164 in a full season) and scored a combined 94 points. In a full year (with no injuries, we hope) they could be capable of 120+ points for the Hawks.

Stalberg needs to step it up this year. He can do a lot better than his 24 points in 77 games. Also, I think Ben Smith and Bickell will have huge years. Bickell scored 37 points in 78 games last year. I bet he tops 50+ this year. Smith was great in the playoffs but only played 6 games for the Hawks last season. Assuming he's fulltime on the roster and plays a full season, he easily replaces Pisani AND Dowell in my opinion. Also, look out for Nick Leddy. He isn't capable of replacing Brian Campbell YET, but he will be there soon. Great offensive defenseman.

Kaner Coffee 08-06-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boooooth10 (Post 35721541)
Olesz on the top line!? That won't last long...

you are correct! Unless 0 games = "long"

IndianCommitted 08-06-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee (Post 35721955)
you are correct! Unless 0 games = "long"

I'll bet money he sees almost 0 games on the Hawks roster. Just my guess.

There are other up and coming players in the system ready for the NHL that can produce more for less cost. Ben Smith for example.

The Vinstar 08-06-2011 06:41 PM

Behind Philly.

RedBaronIndian 08-06-2011 08:20 PM

Even in their down year(last year), Hawks' offense was 4th in the league mere 6 goals behind the league leaders. It was keeping pucks out of the net and PK that was the problem.

Badger36 08-06-2011 08:35 PM

Id say they will be top 5 in terms of offense. Kane, Toews, Hossa and Sharp are nothing to sneeze at.
I think one advantage that the Hawks will have is that they have lots of players who can score anywhere and anytime, unlike other teams who have only 1 or 2 players who can make plays.

Kamal007 08-06-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresFan44 (Post 35721485)
What? We finished 3rd last year without Roy and Pominville, now they're both set to go with the additions we have made and our young stars emerging.

People undderate Buffao offensively at a disgusting rate here. God I want the season to start.

You finished 9th without Roy and Pominville, not 3rd.

Chicago was top 5 last season and I expect them to be top 5 this season.

BLAME CANADA* 08-06-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresFan44 (Post 35721485)

I really don't see how the Sabres offence is better than the Canucks...

zombi 08-06-2011 08:42 PM

Whatever you want to hear....

Kurtosis 08-06-2011 09:01 PM

Good trolling Zombi...

Hawkaholic 08-06-2011 11:08 PM

Chicago finished 4th in scoring last year, and have only improved their offense. I say top 3.

Vancouver
Washington
Chicago
San Jose
Detroit