HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Devante Smith-Pelly (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=964939)

onice 08-07-2011 09:35 AM

Devante Smith-Pelly

I watched the junior Red/White scrimmage last night.

And for all those posters who refuse to understand us posters who want grit on the Habs, have a look at this player.

Davante Smith-Pelly is exactly the kinda of player the Habs desperately need. He brings grit, decent speed, very good vision, good hands, nice hockey sense and a fire in his belly.

Man I wish the Habs had drafted him. But that's water under the bridge. Timmins needs to look for a similar player in upcoming drafts. But I fear with Gauthier at the helm, that ain't gonna happen.

Dirty Danglez 08-07-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onice (Post 35733227)
I watched the junior Red/White scrimmage last night.

And for all those posters who refuse to understand us posters who want grit on the Habs, have a look at this player.

Davante Smith-Pelly is exactly the kinda of player the Habs desperately need. He brings grit, decent speed, very good vision, good hands, nice hockey sense and a fire in his belly.

Man I wish the Habs had drafted him. But that's water under the bridge. Timmins needs to look for a similar player in upcoming drafts. But I fear with Gauthier at the helm, that ain't gonna happen.

:shakehead Yes gauthier purposely pass up a prospect that can help us, because that's what the Canadiens GM does every year.

Protest the Hero 08-07-2011 11:25 AM

He was drafted #42 in 2010. We wouldn't have had a chance to get him unless we picked him in the first, or kept our 2nd(not drafting Tinordi), and traded up to get him.

He was great last night in the scrimmage, he wouldn't be playing for us this year, and he'd still probably be another year after that.

Btw, he's only 5'11" too. I'm guessing you'd blame Gauthier for not picking someone bigger who'll probably end up in the bottom 6.

68 08-07-2011 11:28 AM

We drafted 6' 7" Tinordi that year in the first round. He had 11 fights last season in his first season in the OHL.

Devante was picked in the 2nd round and we didn't have a 2nd round pick.

Bud2790 08-07-2011 11:29 AM

Saw the highlight from last night...damn :amazed:

Blind Gardien 08-07-2011 01:49 PM

I'd rather have Smith-Pelley with our 1st than Tinordi right now. But at draft time, I think even #42 was higher than the consensus had Smith-Pelley. Some had him down to the 3rd round or lower. Some later in the 2nd. I don't think anybody was seeing 1st round.

I watched him most in his rookie year, and he has taken some great steps since then, adding strength and bulk so that you can't care anymore if he's 5'11". He looked smaller than that to me as a rookie in the OHL, but he was a pretty compact skater too. The thing I've become a bit cautious about with some of these guys is that I don't know how their elite on-ice work ethic translates them as pros. He's got his motor running at a notch above his competition at the junior level. That's good. But at the NHL level, he won't have the same degree of advantage in that sense. The Raffi Torres/Cal Clutterbuck projections are probably fair in terms of upside. I don't think he has the pest factor or outright aggression of Clutterbuck. But he can be a valuable player if he approaches 20 goals and plays hard every night. That said, who knows. He's a player that is growing his game at the right time, and he played in a responsible system last season with balanced contributions from a variety of players, maybe he will blossom further if he gets a final junior year in as a superstar.

A prospect trending upwards with a lot to like... but also one which maybe you'd have to be careful about getting carried away with. Still can't really fault management for not finding him even if he does blossom further, though. If the team didn't pick Tinordi, or didn't trade its 2nd, I doubt Smith-Pelley would have entered the picture at any point. We'd still have got other players, and who knows how those players would look relative to either Tinordi or Smith-Pelley - either now, or at a more sensible evaluation point some years from now.

Mathradio 08-07-2011 02:08 PM

Would Emerson Etem have been a better pick at #27?

onice 08-07-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez (Post 35734151)
:shakehead Yes gauthier purposely pass up a prospect that can help us, because that's what the Canadiens GM does every year.

Name one player that was drafted under Gauthier's watch that even resembles Smith-Pelly.

A week or so ago the singer for The Blushing Brides was on team 990 and he had something very interesting to say. As a 16 year old he played hockey and although he loved the Habs he was crazy about Bobby Clarke and tried to emulate his style of play. You know who his coach was? Pierre Gauthier. and Pierre hated his style of play. The singer - I forget his name - did say that Pierre was an elegant hockey player but he added that he despised the Bobby Clarke's of the world. And hated the way he played. Actually, in one game the singer got into a fight trying to protect the team, after the fight Pierre told him take your stick and go home.

I see Gauthier making half-assed efforts like getting a Berger (or a burger) who'll probably resemble Kilger more than he'll resemble Smith-Pelly but I don't see Gauthier making any effort to get that kind of player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less Habitats (Post 35734675)

Btw, he's only 5'11" too. I'm guessing you'd blame Gauthier for not picking someone bigger who'll probably end up in the bottom 6.

You, my friend, have a reading problem. Where did I mention size in my post? I said grit and fire in his belly.

As for your ridiculous comment about it being a scrimmage, it was a scrimmage for everyone else.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, unless he's injured, he's gonna make the team and be one of the stars.

Dirty Danglez 08-07-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onice (Post 35738391)
Name one player that was drafted under Gauthier's watch that even resembles Smith-Pelly.

A week or so ago the singer for The Blushing Brides was on team 990 and he had something very interesting to say. As a 16 year old he played hockey and although he loved the Habs he was crazy about Bobby Clarke and tried to emulate his style of play. You know who his coach was? Pierre Gauthier. and Pierre hated his style of play. The singer - I forget his name - did say that Pierre was an elegant hockey player but he added that he despised the Bobby Clarke's of the world. And hated the way he played. Actually, in one game the singer got into a fight trying to protect the team, after the fight Pierre told him take your stick and go home.

I see Gauthier making half-assed efforts like getting a Berger (or a burger) who'll probably resemble Kilger more than he'll resemble Smith-Pelly but I don't see Gauthier making any effort to get that kind of player.

It's all Hindsight... Maybe what he hated about Bobby Clarke was the cheap shot aspect? You telling me you like that, although no **** there is more to Clarke than that. Gauthier has been making this team bigger, if Smith-Pelley was available when he had a pick, I'm sure PG would be looking to draft him. PG was busy drafting a 6'7 titan on the backend who brings more size and toughness to the prospect pool. Yemelin coming over and Cole signing makes this team bigger.

You can't HONESTLY believe that Gauthier goes out of his way to draft soft talented players instead of the Best player available can you?

Protest the Hero 08-07-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onice
He brings grit, decent speed, very good vision, good hands, nice hockey sense and a fire in his belly.

You just described Brendan Gallagher, drafted "under Gauthier's watch". Darren Dietz is a hard hitting defenceman drafted out of the WHL this year who sticks up for his teammates.

Jakomyte 08-07-2011 03:36 PM

I've made a little write up that posters can feel free to cut and paste the next time they want to make this type of thread. Just fill in the bolds and we are good to go!

----
I just saw non-Habs prospect participate in insignificant game/scrimmage/development camp skating drill/youtube shootout goal and have determined through 14 minutes of amateur analysis that he is exactly what our team needs to succeed. I don't understand why current GM and current head scout are purposefully trying to make our team worse by choosing not to draft this player considering all the information available 2 years after the draft! For those of you that don't agree with me, random radio personality and d-list celebrity with tangential connection to hockey both feel the same way. If it weren't for our crappy management, I'm sure we would make the playoffs more then only 5 of the 6 years since the lockout... we should fire current GM and current head coach and replace them with Patrick Roy and Bob Hartley.

Gainey :shakehead
----

onice 08-07-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less Habitats (Post 35739301)
You just described Brendan Gallagher, drafted "under Gauthier's watch". Darren Dietz is a hard hitting defenceman drafted out of the WHL this year who sticks up for his teammates.

You obviously did not watch the game so you don't know the difference between Gallagher & Smith-Pelly or you wouldn't have said that.

I remember Jarome Iginla when he came up and this kid, Davante, reminds me of a young Iginla. Now, I'm not saying he'll become another Iginla. All I'm saying is that he's a power forward made in the same mould. A thousand things can happen & change this kid's future.

But with the team that the Habs have right now, I would trade two Gallaghers for one Smith-Pelly. And I love Gallagher's game but the Habs desperately need a Smith-Pelly type player.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 08-07-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onice (Post 35739735)
You obviously did not watch the game so you don't know the difference between Gallagher & Smith-Pelly or you wouldn't have said that.

I remember Jarome Iginla when he came up and this kid, Davante, reminds me of a young Iginla. Now, I'm not saying he'll become another Iginla. All I'm saying is that he's a power forward made in the same mould. A thousand things can happen & change this kid's future.

But with the team that the Habs have right now, I would trade two Gallaghers for one Smith-Pelly. And I love Gallagher's game but the Habs desperately need a Smith-Pelly type player.

Very very poor man's Iginla. No seriously Iginla had great hands from the get-go. DSP doesn't have a lot of skill tbh, but he plays to his strength.

onice 08-07-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez (Post 35739057)
It's all Hindsight... Maybe what he hated about Bobby Clarke was the cheap shot aspect? You telling me you like that, although no **** there is more to Clarke than that. Gauthier has been making this team bigger, if Smith-Pelley was available when he had a pick, I'm sure PG would be looking to draft him. PG was busy drafting a 6'7 titan on the backend who brings more size and toughness to the prospect pool. Yemelin coming over and Cole signing makes this team bigger.

You can't HONESTLY believe that Gauthier goes out of his way to draft soft talented players instead of the Best player available can you?

You know some of you posters have trouble distinguishing between size and grit. Gill has almost Chara like size but I wouldn't describe him as gritty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsolument90 (Post 35739801)
Very very poor man's Iginla. No seriously Iginla had great hands from the get-go. DSP doesn't have a lot of skill tbh, but he plays to his strength.

Did you see his goal and the pass he made on the 4th goal?

Miller Time 08-07-2011 03:51 PM

the ducks have:
Smith-Pelly
Etem
Holland
Palmieri

that is a wealth of gritty young talent... i'm jealous!

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 08-07-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onice (Post 35739879)
Did you see his goal and the pass he made on the 4th goal?

I watch the kid all the time. I've been keeping my eye on him in the OHL. He doesn't have the skill to be like Iginla or even a 30 goal player, but he's smart and he does the little things right.

neofury* 08-07-2011 04:30 PM

Typical management and positive fan bashing thread. Of course rather than looking at the fact that our last two picks were Beaulieu and Tinordi you just jump straight to a management bash and even worse Timmins as well :shakehead

There are few people in the org I respect more than TT and if you're bashing him then sorry you don't know jack **** about drafting or hockey because he's a damn good scout.

Furthermore we've been drafting tougher players and the team is addressing toughness when they develop and sign power forwards(how many absolute pansy PWF do you know out there?), tried to get Laraque to come here and when he did he sucked. You can't put all that fault on management. All teams have their areas of strengths and weaknesses and we're clearly addressing that toughness problem. But management are just a bunch of ****tards, okay that's why they went after Tinordi (plays for the london knights I might add as a wake up call for your delusion that we aren't trying to address toughness)

As have several other prospects of ours played there. Beaulieu can scrap and play the physical game as well. What more do they have to do short of trading the farm for Clutterbuck and Mike Richards before people will wake up and realize we are addressing the toughness and addressing an area of weakness without giving up the farm takes time and patience.

It's as annoying as NJD fans constantly hearing Parise proposals. People whine about "toughness" and try to make out other fans to be deluded just cause they're positive but then neglect to mention all the ways we've added toughness. We have toughness, we aren't the toughest team in the league but we have our own list of tough players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onice (Post 35738391)

So because some snot nosed brat with a bone to pick with Gauthier says something it automatically means he won't go after a skilled physical gritty forward? :laugh:

Maybe just maybe said player did something unacceptable on the ice and as a result was punished by PG. You can question his coaching or whatever but it's one guys opinion who is likely pissed at Gauthier and thinks he's right.

Who am I going to believe some crybaby radio whiner who never made the NHL and blames Gauthier, or Gauthier a guy who likely is to mature to even respond to such a preposterous comment. Sounds to me like baby wants his bottle and team 990 is the only place that will give it to him :laugh:

Because team 990 needs ratings I'm expected to believe this ****? :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakomyte (Post 35739633)
I've made a little write up that posters can feel free to cut and paste the next time they want to make this type of thread. Just fill in the bolds and we are good to go!

----
I just saw non-Habs prospect participate in insignificant game/scrimmage/development camp skating drill/youtube shootout goal and have determined through 14 minutes of amateur analysis that he is exactly what our team needs to succeed. I don't understand why current GM and current head scout are purposefully trying to make our team worse by choosing not to draft this player considering all the information available 2 years after the draft! For those of you that don't agree with me, random radio personality and d-list celebrity with tangential connection to hockey both feel the same way. If it weren't for our crappy management, I'm sure we would make the playoffs more then only 5 of the 6 years since the lockout... we should fire current GM and current head coach and replace them with Patrick Roy and Bob Hartley.

Gainey
----

:biglaugh: That was gold. It's like some fans will look for any excuse to bash PG or Timmins. News flash, Gauthier has been better than Gainey thus far who was already better than our previous GM. Timmins has a good enough track record that he doesn't have to defend himself to some guy on the internet claiming he doesn't draft for toughness when he's gotten Tinordi (traded up!) and Beaulieu (fell down but still come on, if he were shying away from physical players...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsolument90 (Post 35740173)
I watch the kid all the time. I've been keeping my eye on him in the OHL. He doesn't have the skill to be like Iginla or even a 30 goal player, but he's smart and he does the little things right.

I'd rather the high reward in Tinordi.

Dirty Danglez 08-07-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onice (Post 35739839)
You know some of you posters have trouble distinguishing between size and grit. Gill has almost Chara like size but I wouldn't describe him as gritty.

I'm sorry, Jarred Tinordi is a huge GRITTY defenceman who sticks up for his teammates and has a mean streak. Gauthier has been trying to make this team GRITTIER. When I say size, I mean the whole package of tougher. We are getting tougher, and our prospect pool is getting tougher.

The point is you're being ignorant if you actually think that Pierre Gauthier is avoiding toughness cause he doesn't like that play style. Its such a ridiculous statement.

onice 08-07-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 35740737)
Typical management and positive fan bashing thread. Of course rather than looking at the fact that our last two picks were Beaulieu and Tinordi you just jump straight to a management bash and even worse Timmins as well :shakehead

Can you please point where I bash Timmins. I can understand where you'll think I was bashing Gauthier but Timmins? And even with Gautheir, I think in many ways he's a good GM but he does have one big blind spot - a blind spot, by the way, that he has had with every other organization he was in. He shies away from gritty, robust, pain-in-the-ass players.

I understand you want to make wonderful posts where you come off like a brilliant speaker but do you really need to put words in my mouth - words that I never said.

Dirty Danglez 08-07-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onice (Post 35741711)
Can you please point where I bash Timmins. I can understand where you'll think I was bashing Gauthier but Timmins? And even with Gautheir, I think in many ways he's a good GM but he does have one big blind spot - a blind spot, by the way, that he has had with every other organization he was in. He shies away from gritty, robust, pain-in-the-ass players.

I understand you want to make wonderful posts where you come off like a brilliant speaker but do you really need to put words in my mouth - words that I never said.

This is what I find is a ridiculous statement. Gauthier drafted Tinordi, Ellis, Gallagher, Dietz within the past two drafts who are best known for their physical play and grit.

habs24 08-07-2011 06:35 PM

Problem none of Tinordi,Gallagher,Ellis,Dietz or whoever else was mentioned in the post are anywhere near making the Habs NOW. The Habs need the toughness and size NOW. It'll be great 3,4,5 years down the road when one or two of these guys are playing on the Habs but right now is when they need the size and toughness

The Kremelin Wall* 08-07-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habs24 (Post 35743581)
Problem none of Tinordi,Gallagher,Ellis,Dietz or whoever else was mentioned in the post are anywhere near making the Habs NOW. The Habs need the toughness and size NOW. It'll be great 3,4,5 years down the road when one or two of these guys are playing on the Habs but right now is when they need the size and toughness

Why do we need those things exactly?

Le CH 08-07-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habs24 (Post 35743581)

The Habs currently have Cole, MaxPac, Eller, AK, PK, Emelin, Moen, and you can make an arguement for Gill... so there is some grit in the current team.

Vasculio 08-07-2011 08:43 PM

This thread is so random... :help:

Teufelsdreck 08-07-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasculio (Post 35746845)
This thread is so random... :help:

Random? Randomness could be interesting but going back a few years to a prospect that some other team drafted strikes me as being irrelevant. There's a designated thread for this sort of thing, isn't there? I'm not saying that every post should be held to the strictest standards but no news is no news is no news is no news even during the summer vacation. Might as well rehash Sam Pollock's drafting Mark Napier instead of Mike Bossy instead of this.