HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   TSN: Stamkos vs. Toews (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=965123)

CS85 08-07-2011 05:46 PM

TSN: Stamkos vs. Toews

http://www.tsn.ca/franchisefaceoff/

TSN's pitting Stamkos vs. Toews for the "Franchise Faceoff" tournament final.

mintsauce 08-08-2011 03:12 AM

Toews should win it easily. Mind you, there was never much competition from the start.

stingo 08-08-2011 07:33 AM

Toews has a cup. And a Conn Smythe. End of story.

But people are going to see Stamkos goals and vote mindlessly for him.

CPHawksFan 08-08-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stingo (Post 35754709)

Not to mention he wears the "C".

Bubba88 08-08-2011 09:06 AM

what a surprise that this is the final matchup :sarcasm:

LandofLincoln 08-08-2011 11:05 AM

It is a good thing Toews is good at everything. Being a Selke finalist is impressive. These players are so different that they should not be compared. There ages do compare. Being the face of their franchise and to an extent the face of the NHL for the next 10 years. Toews has accomplished a gold medal, Conn Smythe, and Stanley Cup. Toews leadership and being a team player are things that do not show up on stats sheets. Toews is more comparable to R. Kesler and Toews is much better than Kesler.

Stamkos numbers are more in the range of Crosby. Stamkos is better than Toews by a lot. Yet the Blackhawks are better with Toews and I would not trade Toews for Stamkos.

If I was picking my all-star team or fantasy team Crosby or Stamkos are 1st or 2nd and Toews is around 6 or 7th overall.

Bubba88 08-08-2011 02:50 PM

on yahoo fantasy, I wouldn't pick him in the Top15

in real life (where it counts) I would only take Crosby over him

BBSeabs27 08-08-2011 03:12 PM

To me the best center in the league is Crosby and Datsyuk after him. Toews is a great center and a player and I would put him ahead of Stamkos.

BobbyJet 08-08-2011 05:39 PM

As someone said. These players are as different as night and day and comparing the two is next to impossible. Toews will do all the little things better and defensively Stamkos doesn't stand a chance. But 50 goal scorers are a breed on their own and Stamkos is a sniper extraordinaire. The question, I suppose, is can Stamkos apply that goal scoring touch in the crunch? We all know that Toews will perform when the game or a series is on the line. He did it again last year with that shortie against Canucks in the playoffs, and gave the Hawks a chance to eliminate the best team of the regular schedule. That's something we will likely see from Toews every season. Will Stamkos do the same? Doubtful, but we don't really know at this stage, so the comparison remains a difficult one.

RedBaronIndian 08-08-2011 06:57 PM

Toews wins :).

TSN.CA USERS CHOOSE TOEWS IN THAT'S HOCKEY FRANCHISE FACEOFF

So hfboards is not the only place where Toews is overrated :sarcasm:

MadhouseOnMadison 08-08-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBaronIndian (Post 35771967)

Oh God, I'll be staying off the main boards for a while.

ChiHawk21 08-08-2011 09:04 PM

i love it...poll doesnt mean a thing but since toews win people will get worked up about it....

Just another W on the toews resume.

DayNah 08-08-2011 10:19 PM

Awesome!!!!!

AceintheSpace* 10-25-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stingo (Post 35754709)

:laugh:

Ive been arguing with people like this in the polls section.

I take Toews 10/10 times. Only thing Stamkos has on him is goalscoring. They consider it blasphemous. :rolleyes:

UsernameWasTaken 10-25-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBaronIndian (Post 35771967)

Wow...I'm surprised by that (but happy)...those TSN polls tend to bring out the idiots so I figured that Stamkos would win by a mile (not b/c there isn't an argument in his favour...but i get the sense a lot of Cdn hockey fans don't pay a tonne of attention to Toews - b/c he plays for a US team in the Western Conference).

I think as part of poll over the summer the TSN readership voted Eberle as a better player than Crosby or something to that effect :shakehead

pvr 10-26-2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 55287483)
Wow...I'm surprised by that (but happy)...those TSN polls tend to bring out the idiots so I figured that Stamkos would win by a mile (not b/c there isn't an argument in his favour...but i get the sense a lot of Cdn hockey fans don't pay a tonne of attention to Toews - b/c he plays for a US team in the Western Conference).

I think as part of poll over the summer the TSN readership voted Eberle as a better player than Crosby or something to that effect :shakehead

Poll was from 2011 before the start of last season. I think it would be different now for the lemmings. Heck, that turnover machine Kovalchuk won it all.

Bubba88 10-26-2012 05:48 AM

why bump this?

Oh_so_saad 10-26-2012 11:21 AM

tazer

Hawkaholic 10-26-2012 12:11 PM

but..but..but HF voted Tavares as better than Toews? How does TSN not recognze this. HF polls are the end all be all of votes.

deytookerjaabs 10-26-2012 01:23 PM

I think Toews would have 10-15 more points a season if he was out east. I still think Stamkos is an elite sniper and has that clear advantage over Toews and his defensive game is overlooked, he's pretty solid on both ends as well. I would take Toews only because I think the offensive gap doesn't make up for the fact that I would prefer Tazer in any clutch and leadership situation.

Rahsan* 10-26-2012 08:19 PM

It's a losing battle arguing about Toews' in the main forum or polls. I've been telling posters he is one of the top players in the league since Feb of 2009. He has done absolutely nothing to disprove that :)

AceintheSpace* 10-26-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahsan (Post 55310667)
It's a losing battle arguing about Toews' in the main forum or polls. I've been telling posters he is one of the top players in the league since Feb of 2009. He has done absolutely nothing to disprove that :)

Im learning. :laugh:

AceintheSpace* 10-26-2012 08:54 PM

Cup, Conn Smythe, Gold Medal, Team Canada MVP, Captain, I can lay into all facets of his complete game...

but "60 goals brah!"

Not saying thats not ridiculous, but I/we have every right to choose Toews as well.

UsernameWasTaken 10-27-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvr (Post 55293417)
Poll was from 2011 before the start of last season. I think it would be different now for the lemmings. Heck, that turnover machine Kovalchuk won it all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba88 (Post 55293629)
why bump this?

lol, fail on my part. i wasn't paying attention and thought this was a new thread :laugh:

yeah, i agree..if they did the thread now it would probably be stamkos.

pdd 10-28-2012 01:59 PM

Detroit fan saying Toews.

The offensive difference between top-sixers West v. East is anywhere from 5-15 points. Toews was on pace for 40-39-79 over 82 last season and has scored 42-38-80 in his last 82. He's a high-level defensive player and top-end faceoff man.

It can be argued, if you take the extreme difference of 15 (both players played on fairly deep forward units,so it's probably closer to 7-8 points) that Toews' offense is only two points off of Stamkos' if they play in the same conference (not necessarily an actual result, but a statistical probability).

I originally researched this because A) I noticed that all of the top scorers were Eastern players, but it was clear from watching that Western players were equally skilled; and B) Mikael Samuelsson went from scoring 40 points in Detroit next to Filppula (sometimes Zetterberg), to 50 points with a lot of help from the Sedins, to 50 points in Florida with a more comparable cast to what he had in Detroit. And players who have switched West have had the reverse - lower scoring numbers when playing with comparably skilled linemates as they had in the East.