HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Could this be possible (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=96578)

Dgrohl8 08-08-2004 03:21 PM

Could this be possible

I was thinking to myself once the CBA is figured out and everything is good again instead of us going after over the hill vets why dont we go after Young Restricted Free Agents with everything we can almost like we did with Joe Sakic. Suppose like Marian Gaborik comes up why dont we go after him and get a young top line guy and im just using him as an example.

I think this would be a good move to do because instead of gettin 4 underachievers lets go for 1 top young gun
Suggestions? Comments?

NYR2 08-08-2004 03:32 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not 100% sure, but if you do that don't you have to give up a bunch of first round picks? If so, I'm not too keen on giving up first rounders at this time.

Dgrohl8 08-08-2004 03:33 PM

I think 1 first rounder but for a Gaborik,Nash, or any player that type i would

Skroob* 08-08-2004 03:37 PM

no. it depends on how big the contract is. We cold lose anywhere up to 5 1st rounders.

Not exactly the smart move for a rebuilding team.

Dgrohl8 08-08-2004 03:39 PM

It depends on who you get

adichiara03 08-08-2004 03:40 PM

get someone good at its a ton of picks, like 3 1sts and a second. Theres a chart somewhere.

Dgrohl8 08-08-2004 03:51 PM

But what i want people to hink about is there any player who is worth that because i can think of 3-4 guys i would do that for

Brooklyn Ranger 08-08-2004 03:58 PM

You're forgetting one thing--the CBA may be very different than the one in place now. It may be impossible to sign RFAs under the new CBA.

One thing to think about--the age a player can be UFA may be lowered.

nyr7andcounting 08-08-2004 04:31 PM

The RFA guidlines now are put together so that teams that have the rights to young players can easily keep those rights until those players hit UFA.

The new CBA is something else and no one knows what's coming, but I think that the RFA compensation will stay as is, with the UFA age getting lowered to 28-30. That seems like the most possible and most logical change to the RFA process. I highly doubt that compensation for RFA's will be lowered enough in the new CBA to make it worth while for teams to sign RFA's.

With the new CBA likely to keep compensation the same, it is absolutely not worth it for teams to sign RFA's from other teams. I would love to have Gaborik, I would love to have Thornton, but why in the world would we give up our next 3 or 4 1st round picks just for one player. And if there were any player that were worth the compensation, it would only be because he signed a low offer with us, thus we wouldn't have to give up that much compensation. But, in that case, the team that owns his rights would match the offer 99% of the time.

BTW, a quick question now that I am on this topic. How are bonuses figured in to RFA offer sheets? Do teams have to match the exact offer sheet, or just the average yearly salary, without bonuses? Or are bonuses added along with the base salaries and average out over the length of the contract, providing for a yearly average which has to be matched? I knew this, but for some reason it slipped my mind.... anyone that can clarify for me I would appreciate it.

NYR469 08-08-2004 06:49 PM

yeah because it worked out so well when we signed sakic right??

and it will cost 5 1st rounders, end of story...yeah there is a chart for compensation based on what the salary is, but any player worth doing this for and any contract large enough that the other team won't match will cost 5 1st rounders...

you want to sign rick nash to an oversheet that columbus won't match...try something like 3 years, $45 mil with $20 mil up front as a signing bonus as a MINIMUM...

that'll go over really good if there is a cap right??

NYR469 08-08-2004 06:50 PM

or since we aren't going to be good over the next few years anyway and odds are the age for UFAs will be lowered...how bout we stop signing players to retarded contracts, keep our 1st rounders and then in 2 years or so when our kids have established themselves go out and sign a 28 year old ufa to complete the puzzle

ChrisKreider20 08-09-2004 12:35 AM

HAH we could get michael ryder!!!

JJ68NYR 08-09-2004 12:56 AM

A new CBA may not allow RFA's to be aqcuired but on the other maybe the price will be lowered.

JJ68NYR 08-09-2004 12:59 AM

At this point you cannot trade our 2005 1st round pick because it might bring us Crosby the way we look. Maybe a 2006 and 2007 and 2005 2nd rounder and i say our future 1st round picks because we dont need to rebuild much more because we'll have the foward in crosby, tyutin for defense, and montoya for goalie plus we have a lot of great prospects behind them. PLUS we could always make a trade to replace our 1st round picks in those yrs with some else' in those yrs through trades.