HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   OHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   OHL - Coach Salaries (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=965877)

cpac47 08-09-2011 06:30 AM

OHL - Coach Salaries

Just curious, does anybody know how much an OHL head coach earns in yearly salary? Who is the highest paid?

Tim Wallach 08-10-2011 03:09 PM

Well, it depends on a few things. One, if he is coach and GM, he obviously gets more cash. Two, if he's in a larger market, he typically gets more cash, etc.

But standards are starting to be set. I know the top market GM/coaches are well into the six figures. I believe DeBoer's last contract in Kitchener exceeded $200,000 per year and it has gone up from there for a few coaches.

There were some exaggerated and inflated numbers being talked about at the time up in the 350-400K range which were flatly denied by teams. But now, I'm guessing a few are approaching that 300K neighbourhood.

As for straight coaches in mid-to-small markets? I'm not 100% sure, but I'd guess 80-100K at a minimum.

Sidney the Kidney 08-10-2011 06:25 PM

I believe back in the day, Bert Templeton (rest his soul) signed for $1 million dollars, on a four year contract -- which worked out to $250,000 per year. And as has been posted DeBoer signed a similar amount with Kitchener. So the top end coaches do get quite the pay check.

I'm not sure how it works in London or Windsor, where the coach is also the owner, though.

seen em all 08-11-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney (Post 35827921)
I believe back in the day, Bert Templeton (rest his soul) signed for $1 million dollars, on a four year contract -- which worked out to $250,000 per year. And as has been posted DeBoer signed a similar amount with Kitchener. So the top end coaches do get quite the pay check.

I'm not sure how it works in London or Windsor, where the coach is also the owner, though.

What do you guys think Oshawa pays guys like Cirella and Di Piero and Hunt ???

SimonTemplar 08-12-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seen em all (Post 35842033)
What do you guys think Oshawa pays guys like Cirella and Di Piero and Hunt ???

Not sure but money issues were killing the Shwa the last few years. If owner has it fixed and law suites dropped then Depeiro would make ok coin. He came in early with double duty but the team had no money, so hard to say.

heusy_79 08-12-2011 09:04 AM

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing a couple years back that Belleville had the lowest paid coaches in the league, around the time when James Boyd and Jim Hulton were head coaches. IIRC it at least partially affected Hulton's decision to leave for Kingston, as he was the lowest paid coach in the league, making something like $40,000.

Ward Cornell 08-12-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonTemplar (Post 35867967)
Not sure but money issues were killing the Shwa the last few years. If owner has it fixed and law suites dropped then Depeiro would make ok coin. He came in early with double duty but the team had no money, so hard to say.

The problem of buying yourself a job by asking or getting a very low salary it's very very hard to get a raise what
a person truly deserves and to get it a person must move on.
I found this out first hand a number of years ago when I bought myself a job with a promise to have a salary review
after 3 months after I prove my worth(this was after losing a few job interviews because I had a
fair salary expectations and ppl with more experience was willing to take 30%+ less than me.)
During my salary review I was told they set a company precedent with a 12% salary increase.
They asked me how i felt about it and I bluntly told them..
" 12% of @#%^-all was still $%!!%^-all and thank-you very much but I'll be moving on
and they have my 2 weeks notice."
By the time I got home there was a message on my machine asking me to phone work.
I phoned back and they offered me a 60% pay increase and was told that a person who wasn't going to stand-up
for himself wouldn't stand-up for the company and they really want me to stay.
That was 25 years ago and I'm still there and the owners still laugh about my brashness!