HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Brendan Bell (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=966075)

Mats Zuccarelli 08-09-2011 03:37 PM

Rangers sign Brendan Bell

mirtle James Mirtle
Rangers sign Brendan Bell.

@RothmanHockey
Seth Rothman
#Rangers have signed 6-2, 211 pound defenseman Brendan Bell. Likely another guy to slot into the race for the 3rd pair with Emmy, Erixon, DZ

JimCerny Jim Cerny
Brendan Bell, former Ottawa d-man who played in Swiss League last year, has signed with #NYR

Hasn't played in the NHL since 2008

E Nixson 08-09-2011 03:39 PM

21 points in 53 games in 08-09

Don't know anything else about him.

NYR Viper 08-09-2011 03:40 PM

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=48757

Stats.

Played last year in the Swiss Elite League. Played quite a bit in the AHL and some NHL games. He is about 27.

Vitto79 08-09-2011 03:42 PM

Not a bad pickup at all. He hs some experience in the NHL. Was on the Leafs I believe.

Good AHL depth. Could be a good spare call up if say a top 6 goes down ,Eminger slides in and they still want the spare.

Propane Nightmares 08-09-2011 03:42 PM

Not sure whether to be pleased about this or not

NYR Lunchbox 08-09-2011 03:44 PM

I'd b shocked if we ever see him in a rangers regular season game unless he dose some amazing work in camp or we are riddled with injuries. More help for the whale now that pashnin stayed in thr KHL

kovazub94 08-09-2011 03:45 PM

Since Pashnin is not coming, here's his AHL replacement for this season.

azrok22 08-09-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kovazub94 (Post 35795141)
Since Pashnin is not coming, here's his AHL replacement for this season.

This.

Maybe he'll be the ying to Redden's yang. :laugh:

BrianBoyle 08-09-2011 03:58 PM

Great option for the Whale - typical puck moving AHL defender. Think Andrew Hutchinson.

haohmaru 08-09-2011 04:02 PM

I'd say this is an insurance plan if MZD doesn't stay in the lineup.

Bird Law 08-09-2011 04:03 PM

I remember when Laff fans thought Brendan Bell was going to be the next great d-man. Then they switched to loving some other, obscure prospect who would go on to fizzle out.

Son of Steinbrenner 08-09-2011 04:06 PM

Brendon Bell is an untouchable and no way the Leafs will trade him to the Rangers for Leetch!:sarcasm:

RangerBoy 08-09-2011 04:35 PM

Why would the Rangers want Brendan Bell?Is Wade Redden being loaned to Europe?

Wade Redden
Pavel Valentenko
Tomas Kundratek
Blake Parlett
Jyri Niemi
Lee Baldwin
Stu Bickel

Sam Klassen(ECHL)

RangerBoy 08-09-2011 04:46 PM

If Brendan Bell dresses in 1 game for the Rangers(even if he doesn't play),the Rangers have problems. This guy stinks. Bell is an AHL player. Bell has played 505 career games.

Quote:

What is the Veteran Rule?

Each AHL Club must dress for each regularly scheduled or play-off game, at least eleven (11) Players, other than goaltenders, who have played in a total of not more than two hundred and sixty (260) regular season games in the National Hockey League, American Hockey League, International Hockey League, or any European Elite League, prior to the start of the season, and one (1) player, other than goaltenders, who has played in a total of not more than three hundred and twenty (320) regular season games in the National Hockey League, American Hockey League, International Hockey League, or any European Elite League, prior to the start of the season. Any Player who participates in European Elite League games during a hockey season in which the Player would be eligible to play in the Canadian Hockey League (excluding an overage year) shall not have such games count in the calculation of the two hundred and sixty (260) regular season games. Players on loan from the National Hockey League for a first fourteen (14) day conditioning period shall not be affected by the aforesaid experience requirement.

In the event a Club dresses fewer than seventeen (17) skaters, the number eleven (11) shall be reduced accordingly. In the event the Member Clubs elect to dress eighteen (18) skaters, the development rule minimum number of eleven (11) shall be increased to twelve (12).

http://www.phpa.com/en/content/home/...ing-agreement/

-31- 08-09-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner (Post 35795703)
Brendon Bell is an untouchable and no way the Leafs will trade him to the Rangers for Leetch!:sarcasm:

I think that was Carlo Colaiacovo

HockeyBasedNYC 08-09-2011 04:54 PM

Good fodder to push the compete level up in camp. Thats all he'll amount to.

nyr2k2 08-09-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 35796425)

Wade Redden
Pavel Valentenko
Tomas Kundratek
Blake Parlett
Jyri Niemi
Lee Baldwin
Stu Bickel

Sam Klassen(ECHL)

I'd guess Baldwin spends more time in the ECHL. Which is fine, because he's pretty crappy himself.

Punxrocknyc19* 08-09-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 35796701)
If Brendan Bell dresses in 1 game for the Rangers(even if he doesn't play),the Rangers have problems. This guy stinks. Bell is an AHL player. Bell has played 505 career games.

http://www.phpa.com/en/content/home/...ing-agreement/

so why just sign him to an AHL contract, great another contract given away ala ECHL players like Sam Klassen who will never see an NHL game.. why sign these players to NHL contracts??? yea the NHL contract helped cause other teams were chasing these players :help:

Radek27 08-09-2011 05:04 PM

I wanted another Dman but this isn't what I was thinking.

Tweener who can dress a few games if needed.

MacTruck 08-09-2011 05:15 PM

Interesting..

Solid depth signing. Definitely someone to keep your eye on during training camp.

Jxmarts 08-09-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 (Post 35797127)
so why just sign him to an AHL contract, great another contract given away ala ECHL players like Sam Klassen who will never see an NHL game.. why sign these players to NHL contracts??? yea the NHL contract helped cause other teams were chasing these players :help:

I actually like Klassen better than Grant, Chappell & Baldwin, but that's neither here or there...

People always worry about the 50 NHL contract limit, but it's hardly ever an issue. I'm counting 46 right now for the Rangers. They probably had to sign him to an NHL contract to lure him away from the Swiss team he played for last year. He's had a year in the NHL & those guys almost never sign AHL contracts.

Fitzy 08-09-2011 05:31 PM

If he makes the team we're in a worse spot than I fist figured.

Couldn't this guy have been brought in on a tryout basis?

Jxmarts 08-09-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 35796425)

Wade Redden
Pavel Valentenko
Tomas Kundratek
Blake Parlett
Jyri Niemi
Lee Baldwin
Stu Bickel

Sam Klassen(ECHL)

It's highly doubtful Valentenko returns to the Whale. At 24, he has nothing left to prove in the AHL. If he doesn't make the Rangers, look for him to be traded. However, either MDZ or Erixon may see some time there.

Fans are always up in arms when teams sign career minor leaguers, but most organizations do it. He's an extra body you can call up in a pinch, if you need a 7th D-man. Also, minor league teams without adequate veteran leadership are usually dreadful, which is not a good environment for player development.

Brooklyn Ranger 08-09-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLU Hockey (Post 35797833)
If he makes the team we're in a worse spot than I fist figured.

Couldn't this guy have been brought in on a tryout basis?

Oh no, Sather is up to his old tricks again. Guess they are a little worried about some of the prospects making the step up. Plus they get to sign another reclamation project!;)

Fitzy 08-09-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 35798265)
Oh no, Sather is up to his old tricks again. Guess they are a little worried about some of the prospects making the step up. Plus they get to sign another reclamation project!;)

Its a signing of Rismiller/ Arnason proportions.

Dunno why we need to give him a guaranteed contract, thats all.