HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   When do you think we'll see back-to-back cups again? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=966423)

Duskog 08-10-2011 10:26 AM

When do you think we'll see back-to-back cups again?

It seems to me like both conferences are becoming tougher and tougher, in that teams are generally more well-rounded, there's lots of fantastic talent (and young talent, at that) in the NHL right now, and it's getting to the point where defending champs are making the playoffs by a point or two after blowing up their teams to stay under the cap. Both conferences have 4 or 5 teams that are in constant mention as cup contenders, and all 8 spots are battled for down to the last game; it seems like every year there's some cinderella team that makes it further than expected, usually knocking off said contenders in the process... With all that in mind, do you think there will be another back-to-back cup winner in the foreseeable future?

Epsilon 08-10-2011 10:30 AM

It's becoming less and less likely. Assembling a team as strong as the 2007-2009 Red Wings, which are the only one who has even come close in a decade, is not something that is easily accomplished. You have to stay mostly healthy for eight rounds over two consecutive playoffs, which is a pretty tall order.

coldsteelonice84 08-10-2011 10:30 AM

It's possible, but to me, it has to be teams with unbelievable cores full of playoff beasts. The Hawks and Pens are the only teams with a shot. I could see Boston maybe doing it this year, but if not this year, it's not happening for them.

Stjonnypopo 08-10-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 (Post 35813965)
It's possible, but to me, it has to be teams with unbelievable cores full of playoff beasts. The Hawks and Pens are the only teams with a shot. I could see Boston maybe doing it this year, but if not this year, it's not happening for them.

I agree.

Boston has a good team again this year but they won't always have Chara and Thomas who were two of their best players during their cup run.

UnrefinedCrude 08-10-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon (Post 35813945)
... 2007-2009 Red Wings, which are the only one who has even come close in a decade...

I would suggest since they played the same team in both of those Finals Series, that you have to add the Penguins to that short list and make it a duo. Still, a ridiculously short list.

CaptainGiggles 08-10-2011 10:59 AM

Nope.

Stephen 08-10-2011 10:59 AM

It can absolutely be done again, but I think it will hinge on the first cup run being relatively short and painless for there to be gas left in the tank. Or a young core like the Penguins had.

Epsilon 08-10-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude (Post 35814529)
I would suggest since they played the same team in both of those Finals Series, that you have to add the Penguins to that short list and make it a duo. Still, a ridiculously short list.

The Penguins were never in position to win in 2008, they were lucky to even get to game 6. The Red Wings actually got the point where they had to win one game to win a 2nd Stanley Cup (and had two cracks at it no less, which were of course unsuccessful), a position only they and the 00-01 Devils have been in since the last time it was done.

ska8ter8808 08-10-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 (Post 35813965)

We have mostly all young players, I understand our two best are older but Chara is really not that old at 34. He can most likely play at a high level for another 4-5 years.

We also have Rask behind Timmy, and could be a very good goalie.

We basically won without Seguin who could be a huge factor in future years and the rest of our core is young with Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Marchand. Then we have Dougie Hamilton coming up in a few years as well.

I think it could happen that we repeat (a lot of luck has to happen with injuries and what not) but then in anohter 3 years or so think we will have a possibly better team than last year.

To answer the OP, it could happen, just so much has to go right with regards to injuries. If the Bruins stay healhy then I put their odds of winning the cup right up there with the rest of the great teams, but that still probably only means about 10% likelihood.

Luigi Lemieux 08-10-2011 11:06 AM

If anyone's going to do it, it's going to be the pens, caps, bruins, or hawks. Young cores all entering their primes.

oilerfan1989* 08-10-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux (Post 35814751)
If anyone's going to do it, it's going to be the pens, caps, bruins, or hawks. Young cores all entering their primes.

i was just coming here to post this... those 4 teams are going to be scary for the next few years

middletoe 08-10-2011 11:42 AM

Bruins have the best chance of doing it since they're already half way there. Plus they didn't have to dismantle, have a lot of youth still developing, have arguably the best goalie in the game, have a monster playing for them on defense, their team has a really nice mix of talent and is built for the playoffs, confidence is high, .....

Injury Prone Stastny 08-10-2011 11:43 AM

Right now, the only close teams are obviously Boston, Chicago, Penguins, Red Wings, Washington (once they click as a playoff team)

In the near future (3-5 years), Colorado, Islanders, Edmonton.

NuHOPE91 08-10-2011 11:50 AM

Heard it hear first, the Oilers will be the next team to do it. There is just to much offensive flare for it not to be a good possibility. Hopkins To Hall and Eberle. And Omark to Paajarvi!

Give it a couple years this team is going to be scary good!

coldsteelonice84 08-10-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Injury Prone Stastny (Post 35815813)
Right now, the only close teams are obviously Boston, Chicago, Penguins, Red Wings, Washington (once they click as a playoff team)

In the near future (3-5 years), Colorado, Islanders, Edmonton.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NuHOPE91 (Post 35815985)
Heard it hear first, the Oilers will be the next team to do it. There is just to much offensive flare for it not to be a good possibility. Hopkins To Hall and Eberle. And Omark to Paajarvi!

Give it a couple years this team is going to be scary good!

Ok....The Pens and Hawks are built around young players and both have a Cup already. How the hell are any of the above teams going to be better than the ones who are already there?

davidy2d 08-10-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon (Post 35814613)
The Penguins were never in position to win in 2008, they were lucky to even get to game 6. The Red Wings actually got the point where they had to win one game to win a 2nd Stanley Cup (and had two cracks at it no less, which were of course unsuccessful), a position only they and the 00-01 Devils have been in since the last time it was done.

2 wins away is still just 2 wins away. "Not even close" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

5RingsAndABeer 08-10-2011 01:21 PM

It'll be really tough. Look at how close both Boston and Vancouver were to getting kicked out this year. It'll require a very high degree of luck and skill.

The Room* 08-10-2011 01:24 PM

Bruins have a pretty good chance, they pretty much have the same team besides Recchi. Also teams like Hawks, Pens, & Caps have a good chance in the future when their top players reach their prime.

the_fan 08-10-2011 01:25 PM

Boston has a very good chance at repeating. They haven't lost any key players that helped them win the cup this year. If Thomas can play like he did this year, it is very possible they win back to back.

teamuteam 08-10-2011 01:25 PM

I think it'd take a ridiculous amount of luck to pull off...with that said Sharks 2012 and 2013:sarcasm:

I Hate Chris Butler 08-10-2011 01:25 PM

Boston is in a position to do it. I doubt they will though. If Detroit couldn't do it after adding Hossa, then I don't think anyone will for a while.

Eberle 08-10-2011 01:28 PM

Penguins are really the only team I could see doing it within the next few years.

Homer vote to the Oilers, Eberle and Hall have proven to be BIG in "clutch" situations, so you never know.

In reality, there is no good way of predicting this haha.

Bizarro Bandwagoner 08-10-2011 01:47 PM

The chances are low but Boston has as good a chance as anyone since the Wings did it. They have mostly the same team returning, still young, and looking for improved play from Seguin and Marchand (moreso Seguin). Yeah, Thomas is old but it's not like their backup is some scrub. Yes, I'm also biased but the B's future looks pretty good to me.

The Oilers could be building a dynasty the way they are stockpiling young talent.

Epsilon 08-10-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidy2d (Post 35818421)
2 wins away is still just 2 wins away. "Not even close" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

They were not "just 2 wins away", because at the time they hadn't even won a Stanley Cup yet. Winning two Stanley Cups requires having won one first; it's faulty to go back in time and consider results from a previous season without considering what effect they would have on a subsequent one. So no, I don't believe a team that lost in the Stanley Cup finals one year and won the next year was "close" to winning 2 consecutive Stanley Cups. The proper way to consider this question is to look at what a team did the year after already winning a Stanley Cup, i.e. when they had an actual, concrete opportunity to win consecutive ones. Only the 2001 Devils and 2009 Red Wings made it back to the Stanley Cup final among teams since 1998.

journeyman79 08-10-2011 02:16 PM

I think it's very possible. People keep pointing at the Chicago example as the norm but it isn't; that was bad management. a team like Vancouver (who is built to go deep) could have won it this past season and they could win it next.