HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Summer Prospect Bonus: Goalies (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=966521)

Top 6 Spaling 08-10-2011 03:02 PM

Summer Prospect Bonus: Goalies
 
Goalies are often hard to rate with other prospects because they are measured on totally different scales. So let's do a seperate ranking of the goalies in the system

They will still be included in the main poll. Just curious here.

My personal rankings:

Lindback
Engren
Hellberg
Smith
Pickard

Hellberg and Engren are close, Pickard and Smith are close IMO.

What say you?

Everlong 08-10-2011 04:21 PM

I would personally put Pickard above Smith and on par with Hellberg and Engren. He has the calming presence that is key for alot of good goaltenders. My list would look something like this:

Lindback
Engren
Hellberg
Pickard
Smith

AtlantaWhaler 08-10-2011 04:22 PM

Will Pickard start the year in Cincinnati?

101st_fan 08-10-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tootoo Train (Post 35822347)
I would personally put Pickard above Smith and on par with Hellberg and Engren. He has the calming presence that is key for alot of good goaltenders. My list would look something like this:

Lindback
Engren
Hellberg
Pickard
Smith

Lindback as the backup in Nashville

Smith and Engren in Milwaukee.
Hellberg overseas.
Pickard hoping to get time in Cincy or wherever we send him. He's got a long way to go to crack the Ads lineup.

PredsV82 08-10-2011 04:34 PM

hellberg stays in Sweden I assume, so you have Smith, Engren, and Pickard for three spots in north America.

Id guess that Smith paid his dues last year so will be in Milwaukee for sure, likely as the tentative starter.

The question is, would it be better for the second best prospect to ride the pine in milwaukee, or start in Cincy?

I can see three scenarios, actually:

1. Smith is clearly superior and will start the majority of games in Milwaukee. In that case, I could see Pickard being his backup, as a sort of "last chance to prove himself" with Engren being the starter in Cincy to get used to the NA game.

2. Smith and Engren are both about equal and both clearly better than Pickard. In this scenario the two would presumably split starts in milwaukee until one clearly outplayed the other.

3. Engren has a bad camp and its felt he'd be best served going back to Europe.

Roman Yoshi 08-10-2011 04:38 PM

Lindback
Hellberg
Engren
Smith



















Pickard

Top 6 Spaling 08-10-2011 10:55 PM

I play goalie, so I consider them my speicality, if you will. Still though, I'm just some high school goalie, so my word is hardly law. Take it with a grain of salt.

I've worked with Mitch Korn, and he told me goaltending is 1/3 physcial, 1/3 mental, and 1/3 emotional. Keeping that in mind

Lindback- He had some jitters and wasn't used to the NA game, but this kid is the real deal. He showed some serious guts coming in for Rinne starting game #1. He was poised in calm in the highest pressure situation imaginable for the kid. This kid is the real deal. Worst case scenario- Chris Mason (quality backup, decent injury fill in starter), best case scenario Rinne 2.0 (very unlikely, but he has the potential). He has the physical, mental, and emotional attributes he needs.

Pickard- Physically and emotionally, I believe Chet is a very good goalie. All of his mistakes are mental. He loses focus, doesn't challenge, and general doesn't think straight. If he can learn to focus 100% on the puck, he can still pan out. The odds of that are.....well, not good IMO. Worst case scenario: Lifetime ECHL/AHLer, Best Case Scenario: Brent Johnson

Engren- I dont know anything about him....

Hellberg- See above, but he looked very impressive at prospect camp.

Smith- Smith has the physical and mental components, but isn't as good emotionally. He lets his emotions take over too often and doesn't follow his head. He scrambles and often overcommitts. If he could take a step back and think a little more instead of reacting, he could be very good. If anyone can save him, it's Mitch. Worst Case Scenario: Lifetime AHL, Best Case Scenario: Chris Mason

Once again, just my humble opinion

adsfan 08-11-2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101st_fan (Post 35822733)
Lindback as the backup in Nashville

Smith and Engren in Milwaukee.
Hellberg overseas.
Pickard hoping to get time in Cincy or wherever we send him. He's got a long way to go to crack the Ads lineup.

That is the way I see it too. Smith passed Pickard by last season. Engren looked good in his brief stint in Milwaukee, but not as good as Smith, who carried the team in the AHL playoffs. Smith had a 2.22 GAA in 12 playoff games with a 93.1% save average. I will take those anytime.

I Will Son 08-11-2011 12:43 AM

I say

Lindback
Smith
Engren
Hellberg
Pickard

101st_fan 08-11-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopreds9 (Post 35833821)
I play goalie, so I consider them my speicality, if you will. Still though, I'm just some high school goalie, so my word is hardly law. Take it with a grain of salt.

I've worked with Mitch Korn, and he told me goaltending is 1/3 physcial, 1/3 mental, and 1/3 emotional. Keeping that in mind

Lindback- He had some jitters and wasn't used to the NA game, but this kid is the real deal. He showed some serious guts coming in for Rinne starting game #1. He was poised in calm in the highest pressure situation imaginable for the kid. This kid is the real deal. Worst case scenario- Chris Mason (quality backup, decent injury fill in starter), best case scenario Rinne 2.0 (very unlikely, but he has the potential). He has the physical, mental, and emotional attributes he needs.

Pickard- Physically and emotionally, I believe Chet is a very good goalie. All of his mistakes are mental. He loses focus, doesn't challenge, and general doesn't think straight. If he can learn to focus 100% on the puck, he can still pan out. The odds of that are.....well, not good IMO. Worst case scenario: Lifetime ECHL/AHLer, Best Case Scenario: Brent Johnson

Engren- I dont know anything about him....

Hellberg- See above, but he looked very impressive at prospect camp.

Smith- Smith has the physical and mental components, but isn't as good emotionally. He lets his emotions take over too often and doesn't follow his head. He scrambles and often overcommitts. If he could take a step back and think a little more instead of reacting, he could be very good. If anyone can save him, it's Mitch. Worst Case Scenario: Lifetime AHL, Best Case Scenario: Chris Mason

Once again, just my humble opinion

The problem is Pickard isn't progressing. At best his progression is stagnant, at worst he's actually regressing. He was passed by Smith on the depth chart. He has a sub .900 sv% as a pro in the ECHL and AHL. IF he doesn't turn his game around soon his career path is more like that of Finley .... 1st round bust who gets passed by even at the AHL level.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.