HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   darren turcotte???? he wasd good with nyr (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=96775)

AG9NK35DT8* 08-09-2004 04:43 PM

darren turcotte???? he wasd good with nyr

Turcotte, Darren - he was my favorite ranger when he was here. adam graves became my other favorite when he was acquired, i dont think they were on nyr together,l actually according to the stats they were on nyr together for a couple years. but my point is why was he traded and what did nyr get?

1993-94 Rangers 13 2 4 6 13
1992-93 Rangers 71 25 28 53 40
1991-92 Rangers 71 30 23 53 57
1990-91 Rangers 74 26 41 67 37
1989-90 Rangers 76 32 34 66 32
1988-89 Rangers 20 7 3 10 4

those are his nyr stats why would a player be traded when he is young and is scoring like that, the reason they got rid of him made no sense to me, it seems everytime nyr gets a good prospect( amonte ) -traded but that helped us win the cup, also traded ( doug weight ) also helped us get players to win the cup.... once again my pooint is why trade youth that is showing they have real talent, for older players to try to win now the whole philosophy of it makes no sense to me

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-09-2004 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
Turcotte, Darren - he was my favorite ranger when he was here. adam graves became my other favorite when he was acquired, i dont think they were on nyr together,l actually according to the stats they were on nyr together for a couple years. but my point is why was he traded and what did nyr get?

1993-94 Rangers 13 2 4 6 13
1992-93 Rangers 71 25 28 53 40
1991-92 Rangers 71 30 23 53 57
1990-91 Rangers 74 26 41 67 37
1989-90 Rangers 76 32 34 66 32
1988-89 Rangers 20 7 3 10 4

those are his nyr stats why would a player be traded when he is young and is scoring like that, the reason they got rid of him made no sense to me, it seems everytime nyr gets a good prospect( amonte ) -traded but that helped us win the cup, also traded ( doug weight ) also helped us get players to win the cup.... once again my pooint is why trade youth that is showing they have real talent, for older players to try to win now the whole philosophy of it makes no sense to me

He was traded along with James Patrick in a three way trade with Hartford and Chicago. The Rangers wound up getting Steve Larmer in that trade. I'll take Larmer over Turcotte anyday.

Fletch 08-09-2004 05:19 PM

Singin'...

you left out the best part...and they won the...?

I do wish that somehow Patrick could've won the Stanley Cup. While Leetch matured leaps and bounds when Messier arrived, Patrick was a positive influence on Leetch in the early years.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-09-2004 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
you left out the best part...and they won the...?

I do wish that somehow Patrick could've won the Stanley Cup. While Leetch matured leaps and bounds when Messier arrived, Patrick was a positive influence on Leetch in the early years.

Indeed. I was a big Patrick fan (hell I still have a Patrick 3 jersey w/ the A in my closet).

I would have liked to see Patrick and Mike Gartner win the Cup with the Rangers that season.

neversummer 08-09-2004 06:17 PM

I wish we kept #21 Sergi Zubov. :banghead:

Bacchus 08-09-2004 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I would have liked to see Patrick and Mike Gartner win the Cup with the Rangers that season.

That would have been nice.

On the other hand I absolutely loved Larmer! One of my favorite players ever. :)

Synergy27 08-09-2004 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franz
That would have been nice.

On the other hand I absolutely loved Larmer! One of my favorite players ever. :)

Youve gotta love a guy who takes a slapper on a penalty shot.

Another thing about Larmer that makes me love the guy, despite its subtlety: if you watch the clip of the final faceoff in '94, look closely in the background and you will see good ol number 28 tying his man up along the boards. The outcome was pretty much decided, but Larmer was such a focused, fierce competitor that he would play hard until the very end. Awesome player.

Edge 08-09-2004 07:16 PM

It's a shame his back injury forced him to retire. He probably could have been an effective 20 goal, 40 point hard working winger for a couple more years.

Having said that,the Amonte deal always haunted me. Without opening up the can of another debate I have to say that I've always reacquired him in every hockey game i've ever played from NHL 95 to Eastside Hockey.

As for Turcotte, I always liked him but he was a bit one dimensional. He was also another one of those weird cases where a player is done before they are 30 and already in a career decline when they should be entering their prime years. Though part of that was due to a bad back.

Hitting on another subject, James Patrick, I have to admit that I never thought he'd be a player playing till he was 40. Always a good player, though not quite what the Rangers envisioned, he was an excellent team guy. I have a picture i took with him as a little kid and I am wearing his gloves and holding his hockey stick, etc.

It was kid of funny, years later to meet up with at a charity event the NHL was doing and getting a picture with him again. We were in almost the same exact position we were in years before only now I was 6'3 instead of 3'3.

It's funny how life comes full circle.

Fletch 08-09-2004 07:44 PM

I bumped into Patrick...

the first game Hartford played at the Garden after the trade. Real nice guy.

Bacchus 08-09-2004 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synergy27

Another thing about Larmer that makes me love the guy, despite its subtlety: if you watch the clip of the final faceoff in '94, look closely in the background and you will see good ol number 28 tying his man up along the boards. The outcome was pretty much decided, but Larmer was such a focused, fierce competitor that he would play hard until the very end. Awesome player.

I know, I know. :bow:

BwayBshirt 08-09-2004 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=synergy27]Youve gotta love a guy who takes a slapper on a penalty shot.

unless you like the toronto maple leafs and the guy is robert reichel (see: 2003 game 6 vs. philly)
:D

but yeah, larmer was one of the many players i liked on the blackhawks at the time and to see him be a ranger and the way he performed was great :yo:

007 08-09-2004 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synergy27

Does anyone have a video clip of that penalty shot???

I have 4 favourite Hockey moments ever, and this is one of them (Rangers winning the Cup, USA vs. Russia and Finland vs. Canada in the 1988 Olympics -- when I first learnt to love hockey).

I have scoured the internet for ages, for a video clip, but to no avail. If a video clip doesn't exist, does anyone know of a video or dvd that includes it as a highlight?

Fletch 08-10-2004 06:23 AM

I may actually have the game on videotape...

I taped the entire 1993-1994 season. Don't ask me why, but I did. I believe I have all games except the December 17, 1993, Saturday night game (I believe that was the date - or it was the Saturday closest to that Saturday) against the Wings in which the Rangers lost 6-4 in one of the best regular season games I've ever seen. Primeau and Graves go at it. Kocur and Probert. Hitting. Scoring. It had it all - and of course I can't find the tape.

SML 08-10-2004 08:32 AM

Darren Turcotte and James Patrick were traded because they were SOFT, and Keenan knew it. I always HATED Turcotte. He was fast and he could score, but you could count on him to limp back to the bench at least twice a night with his atrocious looking mug twisted in some horribly painful grimace. I did a freaking cartwheel when they dumped those two. Patrick just always seemed wishy washy to me. His stats look great now, but back then Dmen were routinely putting up 80-90 plus points. He was a good second pair D, but was expendable with the then emerging Zubov. God, things are so bad now, I'd actually rather have them back than having hockey stop every March. :shakehead

CrookedRain 08-10-2004 09:01 AM

God. I remember the penalty shot. It was crazy because it was back in Chicago after getting traded. I think the goalie was Belfour, right?

tony 08-10-2004 09:14 AM

larmer also played that game in chgo with a broken finger. which makes that penalty shot even more impressive.

007 08-10-2004 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrookedRain
God. I remember the penalty shot. It was crazy because it was back in Chicago after getting traded. I think the goalie was Belfour, right?

Not only was it back in Chicago, but it was the last time he'd play in the old Chicago Stadium. The fans were insane, and it seemed that most of them actually WANTED him to score. When he ripped that shot bast Belfour the place went absolutely nuts.
:bow: :jump::banana: :jump: :bow: <--(artist's rendition of crowd)

Edge 08-10-2004 12:08 PM

Quote:

I taped the entire 1993-1994 season. Don't ask me why, but I did. I believe I have all games except the December 17, 1993, Saturday night game (I believe that was the date - or it was the Saturday closest to that Saturday) against the Wings in which the Rangers lost 6-4 in one of the best regular season games I've ever seen. Primeau and Graves go at it. Kocur and Probert. Hitting. Scoring. It had it all - and of course I can't find the tape.

I remember everything in that game except the Graves-Primeau fight.

Fletch 08-10-2004 01:20 PM

Graves was centering that night...

or at least was taking faceoffs that night (I believe Mess had one of his many wrist injuries). They went at it after the faceoff. Pretty even fight. I gotta find that tape. It must be somewhere.

xevious 08-10-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

I was living in Detroit at the time and actually attended that game! Agreed, it was a great one. I think I have most of it on tape somewhere but not the whole game.
Joe Louis went NUTS when Kocur and Probert went at it. I remember the Primeau/Graves fight too, right off the opening face-off (of the second or third period, I don't remember).