HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Danny Briere - New Leader? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=968317)

HellasLEAF 08-13-2011 11:58 PM

Danny Briere - New Leader?
 
I'm not saying he is captain material, well maybe, but imo with Carter and Richards gone does anyone else feel that Danny Briere will now be leaned on more heavily for both offensive production and veteran leadership for the team.

I'm thinking it's his best season as a Flyer....

BleedOrange 08-14-2011 12:16 AM

:sarcasm:

King Forsberg 08-14-2011 12:20 AM

He'll almost definitely be an Alternate Captain this year with Timonen. I think he deserved to be one last year but some how Carter was given the A. I think Pronger will be captain but if they were to give Briere the C, I'd be perfectly happy with that. I also expect a big seasn for him

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 08-14-2011 12:25 AM

Briere wore an A last season for a game or two

dookie88 08-14-2011 03:58 AM

That's really no question.
Of course he will be more leaned on.
The last two seasons he was our third or fourth biggest offensive thread behind Richards, Carter, Giroux, which made for a sick sick forward group.
We will find out this year how great it was to have so many weapons up front, especially if we catch one or two injuries.

Btw, I want Timonen to get the C, the guy deserves it the most, period.
After that any combination of Giroux, Timonen, Coburn, Pronger deserve the A's.
I personally wouldn't give Pronger any letter, he doesn't need one to be what he is, rather express this role through a letter for guys like Giroux or Coburn.

Spongolium* 08-14-2011 05:11 AM

Timonen C
Briere A
Pronger A

Done

ChumpyG 08-14-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dookie88 (Post 35911359)
That's really no question.
Of course he will be more leaned on.
The last two seasons he was our third or fourth biggest offensive thread behind Richards, Carter, Giroux, which made for a sick sick forward group.
We will find out this year how great it was to have so many weapons up front, especially if we catch one or two injuries.

Btw, I want Timonen to get the C, the guy deserves it the most, period.
After that any combination of Giroux, Timonen, Coburn, Pronger deserve the A's.
I personally wouldn't give Pronger any letter, he doesn't need one to be what he is, rather express this role through a letter for guys like Giroux or Coburn.

Even though I'm fairly sure Pronger will have the "C", I like the way you think and would love it if they went that route.

StandingCow 08-14-2011 07:31 AM

I would say Kimmo gets the A... and the only reason for that is he is probably gonna be retiring once his contract is up.

BleedOrange 08-14-2011 09:36 AM

Only one player that should have the C on this team this year is Pronger..............:yo:

FlyerX 08-14-2011 09:44 AM

Danny would have to show he's not a catastrophe in his own end without someone named Ville on his wing. Kimmo was probably, 20/20, the best choice as captain after Smith left. It will be Pronger though.

Crescent Street 08-14-2011 12:48 PM

Why this debate goes anywhere beyond Chris Pronger is way beyond me. :shakehead

Timonen to get an A because he may retire at the end of his contract? :shakehead

Pronger C
Briere A
Timonen\Giroux A

MsWoof 08-14-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crescent Street (Post 35915183)
Why this debate goes anywhere beyond Chris Pronger is way beyond me. :shakehead

Timonen to get an A because he may retire at the end of his contract? :shakehead

Pronger C
Briere A
Timonen\Giroux A

Why? Partly because the guy is coming off 2 significant injuries to his hand and back. The other reason is because of his abrasive personality. Meltzer said he was the most divisive guy in the dressing room so I think it's better to keep him as an alternate.

BleedOrange 08-14-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoof (Post 35915421)
Why? Partly because the guy is coming off 2 significant injuries to his hand and back. The other reason is because of his abrasive personality. Meltzer said he was the most divisive guy in the dressing room so I think it's better to keep him as an alternate.

drink some more kool-aid pronger is the new C this year.............

Sawdalite 08-14-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoof (Post 35915421)
Why? Partly because the guy is coming off 2 significant injuries to his hand and back. The other reason is because of his abrasive personality. Meltzer said he was the most divisive guy in the dressing room so I think it's better to keep him as an alternate.

I can't recall what Meltzer said but would personally think that any divisiveness would stem from the direction of leadership... if the room was split due to Pronger it IMO would most likely be through wrestling for power -- I see Pronger's abrasiveness to be mostly sarcasm and playful... with at times his points being made but rarely through anger. That said, like anybody else I could see his being surly and curt when caught at a time of pain and disappointment.

If I'm correct about the division in the room stemming from leadership battles I wouldn't want another player wearing the 'C' and be the official leader if Pronger were to be the 'real' leader in the room... as I believe he was the last couple seasons... Pronger was brought in to lead the Flyers to the Cup, as I see it, and now that the 'C' is vacant it only makes sense to give it to him and have Kimmo and Briere as assistants with Giroux waiting in the wings and getting an 'A' when a captain is injured or suspended.

Sawdalite 08-14-2011 03:41 PM

Never mind... duplicate post

esuhock22 08-14-2011 04:16 PM

Honestly, I think WAY too much emphasis is put into the C by the media and fans. They aren't little kids who get to feel cool if they get picked by their coach. Pronger will be himself, regardless, as will the rest of the team.

UniverStalinGraduate* 08-14-2011 05:34 PM

The flyers offenisve depth has taken a pretty big hit, and Briere hasn't had a 70 point season since 2007/2008. He could flourish, or he could flounder. Who knows.

tuckrr 08-14-2011 06:39 PM

Look, I love kimmo a TON, and he's been with the team through ups and downs

(On the ice he's my favorite defender)

BUT

Kimmo no speak english

Pronger is a better leader, even if kimmo "deserves" it more.

Pronger - C
Kimmo - A
Giroux/briere/others - A

Beef Invictus 08-14-2011 06:41 PM

Kimmo's English is actually pretty good, from everything I've seen.

tuckrr 08-14-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 35923165)
Kimmo's English is actually pretty good, from everything I've seen.

Come on man its awful...

He's a very nice guy, I was lucky enough to meet him, but english is far from his first language.

It's not a criticism, just poking fun at a lovable guy.

(He's no bobrovsky)

FlyerX 08-14-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 35923165)
Kimmo's English is actually pretty good, from everything I've seen.

Oh yeah, no problem there.

HellasLEAF 08-14-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate (Post 35921701)
The flyers offenisve depth has taken a pretty big hit, and Briere hasn't had a 70 point season since 2007/2008. He could flourish, or he could flounder. Who knows.

I think with less depth and now more seniority on the team, he will score higher because he will be leaned on more by the coaches. Also he will take it upon himself to do more imo.

Anyone else agree with this? or does losing those players means less because there is less talent around him?

tymed 08-14-2011 09:33 PM

Briere could hit 70 this year forsure, if he has a healthy season. Not only that, he seems to help young players a lot too. He's a key piece to our offense. He is also still able to elevate his game come the post season, too. I would have to say he is able to embrace this extra weight.

I doubt he gets the C though, but it would be a crime not to have an A on him this season. The new young players can look upto say...him and giroux instead of richards and carter now. I think we will be better off in character that way. Let Pronger wear the burden of the C with such a young team. If not, then Kimmo. Giroux i would say deserves an A but he does not need it just yet, he's got a lot coming in his due time. We brought all these veteran ex captains in to lead our team so we might aswell let them at the point that we lost richards.

Beef Invictus 08-14-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellasLEAF (Post 35927125)
I think with less depth and now more seniority on the team, he will score higher because he will be leaned on more by the coaches. Also he will take it upon himself to do more imo.

Anyone else agree with this? or does losing those players means less because there is less talent around him?

If anything, he will produce a little bit less. He tends to have his hot and cold streaks.

Flyerfan808 08-14-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuckrr (Post 35923099)
Look, I love kimmo a TON, and he's been with the team through ups and downs

(On the ice he's my favorite defender)

BUT

Kimmo no speak english

Pronger is a better leader, even if kimmo "deserves" it more.

Pronger - C
Kimmo - A
Giroux/briere/others - A

Kimmo sabe nada?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.