HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Spend $16 million in cap space (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=968759)

goalscorer 08-15-2011 12:52 AM

Spend $16 million in cap space

Capgeek shows were under the cap ceiling by almost $16 million. If the owners were to give you the green light to spend any or all of that money would you? If so how would you spend it?

triggrman 08-15-2011 06:27 AM

Does that figure include buy-outs?

PredsV82 08-15-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goalscorer (Post 35934027)
Capgeek shows were under the cap ceiling by almost $16 million. If the owners were to give you the green light to spend any or all of that money would you? If so how would you spend it?

in the mythical world where Nashville ownership has unlimited money of course you spend it.

first I would offer Weber, Suter and Rinne deals significantly above market (say 8.5 mil per on Weber ,7.5 on Suter and 6.5 on Rinne)

then I'd take the remaining 8.5-9 million and try to get Parise next summer

lstcyr 08-15-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 35935971)
in the mythical world where Nashville ownership has unlimited money of course you spend it.

first I would offer Weber, Suter and Rinne deals significantly above market (say 8.5 mil per on Weber ,7.5 on Suter and 6.5 on Rinne)

then I'd take the remaining 8.5-9 million and try to get Parise next summer

but none of them would sign because you didn't improve the offense now!

PredsV82 08-15-2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstcyr (Post 35936095)
but none of them would sign because you didn't improve the offense now!

im counting on the million a year over market convincing them that help is on the way.. or at least that they shouldnt care as long as they are getting paid!

101st_fan 08-15-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 35935723)
Does that figure include buy-outs?

The current numbers on capgeek do reflect the buyouts but do not reflect a 6th healthy defender called up while Cube is out.

codeyh 08-15-2011 11:39 AM

If we had that space, Nashville would have offer sheeted Stamkos.

goalscorer 08-15-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 35936229)
im counting on the million a year over market convincing them that help is on the way.. or at least that they shouldnt care as long as they are getting paid!

I'd have a sit down and discuss realistic expectations with all three. I'd see what type of player(s) they feel we should go after and if there is one or two they feel we have to have in order to succeed. Obviously I'd ultimately make the decision, but if they feel like they have some input maybe that is a step in the right direction for showing progress.

I'd try to get the to take reasonable contracts with the idea that were going to spend what we can on the offense. Maybe bring a guy like AK in for this season and make a run at Parise or Semin during the offseason.

I think spending the money has obvious risks, but the hopefully deeper runs in the playoffs, along with more ticket sales, jersey sales and national attention could offset the money being spent.

roseyc 08-15-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goalscorer (Post 35940289)
I'd have a sit down and discuss realistic expectations with all three. I'd see what type of player(s) they feel we should go after and if there is one or two they feel we have to have in order to succeed. Obviously I'd ultimately make the decision, but if they feel like they have some input maybe that is a step in the right direction for showing progress.

I'd try to get the to take reasonable contracts with the idea that were going to spend what we can on the offense. Maybe bring a guy like AK in for this season and make a run at Parise or Semin during the offseason.

I think spending the money has obvious risks, but the hopefully deeper runs in the playoffs, along with more ticket sales, jersey sales and national attention could offset the money being spent.

Nice post and I agree with it has reached the point where Poile and mgt has to include the 3 and say here is how it is and what do we have to do to get us to the next level.