HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   NHL Season Pass for PS3 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=969541)

lJuicel 08-16-2011 01:39 PM

NHL Season Pass for PS3

Just curious if anyone on here have used the PS3 Season Pass instead of the NHL Season Pass on cable ? The price isn't even comparable ($9.99 on PS3, close to $200.00 on Cable). Debating on going with the PS3 this year but judging by the price there has to be some serious draw backs, right ?

Draft Guru 08-16-2011 01:44 PM

The app itself is 9.99.

The season pass is $169 for the PS3.

http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=20468

ogie 08-16-2011 01:46 PM

And from what i read on the TOS games will be blacked out. Not sure how the determine what games to black out.

lJuicel 08-16-2011 01:53 PM

Figured the $9.99 was way to good to be true, I'm on the far east coast of Canada, and from what I know only local games get blacked out here (usually Toronto or Ottawa) so I doubt I'll miss any Ranger games. Looking more and more like I'll be giving this a go this season, just got my cable disco'd $170 a month back in my pocket.

mrjimmyg89 08-16-2011 02:37 PM

I did it at the end of last season when they were offering 80 bucks for the end of the season. The picture quality on the PS3 was great on my HD TV. As long as your internet is up to snuff, which on Fios, I have 25 up and 25 down, it'll look really good. I think it is worth the 10 extra dollars to watch it in great quality on your HDTV.

You won't get the Rangers if you are in the MSG market, but you'll get all the other games, which at the end of the season, was a great help when the Rangers weren't playing to see the teams around them play.

The Dark Passenger 08-16-2011 03:50 PM

I was considering doing this. Being in VT and having the Bruins (and NESN and Jack ******* Edwards) as my local channel, I should get every Rangers game through this correct?

And is the PS3 app worth the extra $10 or should I just stick to the computer one? Thanks for any help.

sbjnyc 08-16-2011 03:55 PM

I don't have cable but would buy nhl season pass, game center or whatever if I had the opportunity to pay an extra fee to the broadcaster (MSG, Versus or whatever) to get in market games. Same goes for the Mets as I really like the MLB at bat app.

So instead I just go to the games or stream games over the internet. I'd like to think that the cable companies will eventually start to allow this sort of thing.

FultonReed 08-16-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger (Post 35974905)
I was considering doing this. Being in VT and having the Bruins (and NESN and Jack ******* Edwards) as my local channel, I should get every Rangers game through this correct?

And is the PS3 app worth the extra $10 or should I just stick to the computer one? Thanks for any help.

i feel like it's easier to find games while using the PS3 app. also, the fact that you can watch games on your tv instead of a computer monitor is always a plus. however, it would probably be just like watching it on your computer. i used it when PS was giving out free stuff and it didn't seem very different. just the layout, really.

rabi 08-16-2011 09:48 PM

I thought this year you would be able to pay once for GameCenter(not CenterIce) and watch it on all available outlets(PC, Playstation3, etc.)

edit: yep... http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/cdsi...s-GCcomparison

HatTrick Swayze 08-16-2011 10:12 PM

Honestly the Gamcenter live quality is probably better than my SD Comcast feed, but the ability to DVR will keep me on cable.

If there was a way to record to the PS3's hard drive it would 100% be my first choice.

nyr2k2 08-16-2011 10:34 PM

I had issues with the PS3 streams last year. I only used them a few times (when I had people over), but it was a constant battle with random lag and stutters on a great connection. Could have just been me, but there is no way I would rely on the PS3 product to watch games.

I have an HDMI output on my laptop, so I can easily stream games to my TV in HD quality. That's what I did most of last year, and what I'll do again this year. Though I have Verizon instead of Comcast this year, so I may try the TV package again.

TheRedressor 08-17-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger (Post 35974905)

I travel a lot for work and I used the app i'd say for about 20 games last season and it was a God-send! The quality was much better and more convinient than using my labtop.

Trxjw 08-17-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emma Royd (Post 35984267)
I had issues with the PS3 streams last year. I only used them a few times (when I had people over), but it was a constant battle with random lag and stutters on a great connection. Could have just been me, but there is no way I would rely on the PS3 product to watch games.

I have an HDMI output on my laptop, so I can easily stream games to my TV in HD quality. That's what I did most of last year, and what I'll do again this year. Though I have Verizon instead of Comcast this year, so I may try the TV package again.

I had some issues with it as well. The fact that you are forced to use adaptive buffering on the PS3 is annoying. One quick drop in bandwidth and the next 5 minutes of the game are being watched at 300kbps until it decides to re-evaluate my connection speed.

I also occasionally had problems getting the games to show up in the app at the correct time. Often times the games wouldn't be listed as viewable until 10 or 15 minutes after the puck dropped.

I'm going to be axing cable next month in favor of a HTPC and OTA HD, so we'll see if I have better luck running it from there.

NYR Viper 08-17-2011 08:13 AM

So, should I get NHL Center Ice through my TV or should I just stream them over my laptop? My laptop is about 6 years old, so it doesn't have the best quality picture, although I have never tried hooking it up to my TV as I figured if it was blurry on my laptop screen, it would be 100x worse my my 46"

Trxjw 08-17-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 (Post 35989849)
So, should I get NHL Center Ice through my TV or should I just stream them over my laptop? My laptop is about 6 years old, so it doesn't have the best quality picture, although I have never tried hooking it up to my TV as I figured if it was blurry on my laptop screen, it would be 100x worse my my 46"

Chances are that if it's that old, it doesn't have HDMI out, so you'd likely be stuck with DVI or VGA output (computer monitor). The issue is that some TV's have pixel mapping issues, so if your computer cannot support your TV's native resolution, you're likely to have issues.

I avoid center ice on my TV because Comcast doesn't support HD feed, and because with GCL I can split the cost with a couple people in other parts of the country and all watch it on different computers. However, if I had CI through something like DirecTV, where many of the games are in HD, I'd probably stick with it. That's of course assuming I was sticking with broadcast TV at all. :)

Melrose_Jr. 08-17-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze (Post 35983735)
Honestly the Gamcenter live quality is probably better than my SD Comcast feed, but the ability to DVR will keep me on cable.

I know you can "pause" the stream on Gamecenter, but can you rewind or watch "on demand" even if the game is still on? If so, I'm not sure I need the ability to record the game.

The Dark Passenger 08-17-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 35990087)
Chances are that if it's that old, it doesn't have HDMI out, so you'd likely be stuck with DVI or VGA output (computer monitor). The issue is that some TV's have pixel mapping issues, so if your computer cannot support your TV's native resolution, you're likely to have issues.

I avoid center ice on my TV because Comcast doesn't support HD feed, and because with GCL I can split the cost with a couple people in other parts of the country and all watch it on different computers. However, if I had CI through something like DirecTV, where many of the games are in HD, I'd probably stick with it. That's of course assuming I was sticking with broadcast TV at all. :)

Could you and the people you shared it with be logged on to GCL at the same time? If so that sounds like a good idea.