HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   News Article: The Hockey News Picks CBJ to Finish 12th (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=969727)

Viqsi 08-16-2011 03:53 PM

The Hockey News Picks CBJ to Finish 12th

I was putting together a poll for the THN projected rankings and our place therein. The options were pretty cute, too, IMO:

Quote:

• 1st - This might be a good time to let y'all know that we've been purchased by the Dispatch Printing Company.
  • 2nd - Ryan Johansen's going to win the Calder and the Art Ross. You heard it here first!
  • 3rd - Did you know that James Wisniewski is actually a #1 defenseman? No? Really?
  • 4th - We're on the Believe Train and we ain't gettin' off!
  • 5th - Nash and Carter compete for the Rocket Richard, Wizniewski scores 50 points, and Mason wins the Vezina.
  • 6th - There's a few question marks but the new talent level is indisputable.
  • 7th - Nice moves, but the Jackets aren't the only team that stepped up in the offseason, y'know.
  • 8th - Y'know, the Jackets are in a really tough division... it's not going to be easy...
  • 9th - A few too many question marks, and a few other teams whose chances we like more.
  • 10th - As above; we just wanted to give a shoutout to someone else first.
  • 11th - Can't bring ourselves to actually put COLUMBUS in the playoffs, but can't bring ourselves to pretend they did nothing.
  • 12th - We got this far ranking teams before we realized we'd managed to forget Columbus entirely and so just sort of inserted them here.
  • 13th - Oh, yeah, those are the guys that never win.
  • 14th - Columbus has an NHL team?
  • 15th - "Ohhhh Canada, our home and native land..."

But then the yearbook arrived in my mailbox today and I decided to skip ahead and look at the answer. And it turns out one of the "joke" possibilities is what they picked.

Feel free to guess anyways.

Skraut 08-16-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 35974975)
I was putting together a poll for the THN projected rankings and our place therein. The options were pretty cute, too, IMO:

But then the yearbook arrived in my mailbox today and I decided to skip ahead and look at the answer. And it turns out one of the "joke" possibilities is what they picked.

Feel free to guess anyways.

I'm gonna guess 12th

http://twitter.com/#!/RyanCBJPR/stat...44108500525056

I personally like this idea...

http://twitter.com/#!/DarkBlueJacket...50143516782592

TaketheCannoli 08-16-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skraut (Post 35975057)

Hey, who knows maybe this is reasonable, maybe it's not.

Looking around, I figure the following Western Conference teams must be better than the Jackets:

Vancouver
Detroit
San Jose
Los Angeles
Chicago

Team that should be better than the Jackets:

Nashville

Teams I think are worse:

Edmonton
Colorado
Dallas
Phoenix

Teams they will fight for 7-11 in no particular order:
Calgary
St. Louis
Minnesota
CBJ
Anaheim

So based on that reasoning, I couldn't place them below 11th.

Xoggz22 08-16-2011 05:34 PM

I'm no expert so obviously my view on where we would finish in 11/12 is based solely on being a fan. But trying to be objective.....I don't see how:

Colorado - Flat out horrible
Phoenix - no longer have the goalie that carried them
Calgary - severe lack of skill and aging stars with no support cast
Edmonton - exciting but TOO much youth and suspect defense
Dallas - Who plays for them now that Richards is gone?
Minnesota - Who plays defense on this team again? Sure they added Setoguchi and Heater but seriously....

would be ahead of the CBJ. that's 9th in my book at worst. I also think:

Anaheim - little depth after top line and suspect at the back could make them a bottom 5 team
Nashville - stands a chance of losing a ton of 1-0, 2-1 games this year. They always find a way to win but you need some pressure up front.
St. Louis - wild card to me and I just don't think they are that good but injuries last year hurt.

Moves the CBJ into playoff position. Granted the CBJ are not without question but I have to believe they are going to score more and their PP will be top 10 by the end of the season. The defense raises questions and if Mason plays like the last two years it won't matter how many we score. So yes, questions but I just don't see 12th.

Oh well....it's a pre-season prediction right? I'll keep my CBJ glasses on and hopefully be able to see my own vision being true at the end of the year.

CBJ 4-7 position for the 11/12 playoffs....

Viqsi 08-16-2011 06:10 PM

The summary quote from the yearbook is as follows:
Quote:

Despite major additions to the roster, much of the Jackets' hopes rest on Steve Mason. If he struggles as he did last year, forget it.
Their fantasy projection for Mason: 2.75 GAA, .906 SV%, 4 shutouts. They also have Nash with 77 points, Carter with 74, RJ with 55, Vermette and Brass both with 53, Wisniewski with 51, and Johansen with 45.

It balances, though, 'cause they also expect Clitsome, Calvert, Pahlsson, Russell, MacKenzie, Dorsett, Martinek, Prospal, and Huselius to all regress. Oh, and Tyutin will stagnate, and Moore will somehow be on the team.
EDIT: I can only assume they also expect Methot to regress, since they cut the point totals off at 15 with Martinek, and didn't bother listing him at all.

For what it's worth, the guys they have ahead of us are Minnesota at #11 because hell I dunno (they have Heatley and Koivu at 67 and 66 points respectively, and those are their top scorers), Calgary at #10 because they're a Canadian publication and expect Kiprusoff to somehow magically reverse his decline, and Colorado at #9 because they expect Matt Duchene to score 86 points this year - no, really, I wish I was making that up. (And that's with Varlamov expected to have a GAA of 3.12... hell, I'm not even sure where they think Duchene's going to get all those assists, what with only one winger in the entire org projected over 45 points...)

Oh, and St. Louis is 7th, because, y'know, St. Louis always rises and Columbus always falls. It's SCIENCE.

hip check 08-16-2011 06:14 PM

If goal tending sucks as much as it has the past two years, 12th place is not out of the question. And until it can be proven that it is better and not just 'theoretically,' I don't fault anyone for picking CBJ that low.
That said Jackets will take 1st in the West for the next 10 years. Quote me.

hip check 08-16-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 35978141)

Their fantasy projection for Mason: 2.75 GAA, .906 SV%, 4 shutouts. They also have Nash with 77 points, Carter with 74, RJ with 55, Vermette and Brass both with 53, Wisniewski with 51, and Johansen with 45.

For what it's worth, the guys they have ahead of us are Minnesota at #11 because hell I dunno (they have Heatley and Koivu at 67 and 66 points respectively, and those are their top scorers), Calgary at #10 because they're a Canadian publication and expect Kiprusoff to somehow magically reverse his decline, and Colorado at #9 because they expect Matt Duchene to score 86 points this year - no, really, I wish I was making that up. (And that's with Varlamov expected to have a GAA of 3.12... hell, I'm not even sure where they think Duchene's going to get all those assists, what with only one winger in the entire org projected over 45 points...)

Oh, and St. Louis is 7th, because, y'know, St. Louis always rises and Columbus always falls. It's SCIENCE.

Bring up a couple good points...
1. If there was any player that I wish could bounce back (but somehow not affect the CBJ at all) it would be Kiprusoff.
2. Since the NHL decided that any goals that Duchene scores in the warm up before the games will count toward his point total for next season, the 86 does make sense.
3. I never have understood why so many people assume that St Louis' young players will naturally progress and CBJ's never will.

Viqsi 08-16-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hip check (Post 35978243)
If goal tending sucks as much as it has the past two years, 12th place is not out of the question. And until it can be proven that it is better and not just 'theoretically,' I don't fault anyone for picking CBJ that low.

No, hon, you misunderstand. They're picking us at 12th at the same time they project our goaltending to improve. They're justifying it by claiming the additions of Carter and Wisniewski, and resulting general offensive output improvement of our entire top-6, and an improvement for Mason will somehow be offset by literally every single other player on the roster performing far worse. It's a ludicrous assertion and they should be called out on it.

Skraut 08-16-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 35978717)
No, hon, you misunderstand. They're picking us at 12th at the same time they project our goaltending to improve. They're justifying it by claiming the additions of Carter and Wisniewski, and resulting general offensive output improvement of our entire top-6, and an improvement for Mason will somehow be offset by literally every single other player on the roster performing far worse. It's a ludicrous assertion and they should be called out on it.

Well, you remember what happened last time Proteau thought he knew what he was talking about when he wrote about the Jackets...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/imgs/dy...le_25602_1.jpg

hip check 08-16-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Oh. Well then...:dunno:

Samkow 08-16-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 35978141)

It balances, though, 'cause they also expect Clitsome, Calvert, Pahlsson, Russell, MacKenzie, Dorsett, Martinek, Prospal, and Huselius to all regress. Oh, and Tyutin will stagnate, and Moore will somehow be on the team.
EDIT: I can only assume they also expect Methot to regress, since they cut the point totals off at 15 with Martinek, and didn't bother listing him at all.

Did you buy the fantasy guide or the yearbook? Big difference between the 2.

gojackets1 08-16-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Way to put some thought into it THN....

So um on another note, not that this means much to most people here probably, ive simmed through half a season with the Jackets on NHL 11 after all the additions. The record so far is 33-7-5..... Uhhh and it started out as 20-0-1. So yeah, im excited, even if i shouldnt be.

Viqsi 08-16-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samkow (Post 35979401)
Did you buy the fantasy guide or the yearbook? Big difference between the 2.

Got both as part of my electronic subscription. They're using stats from their fantasy guide in their projections, so they're fair game.

leesmith 08-16-2011 08:00 PM

The Hockey News Picks CBJ to Finish 12th

https://twitter.com/#!/RyanCBJPR/sta...44108500525056

What the hell are these guys thinking?!?

CBJBrassard16 08-16-2011 08:17 PM

haters

leesmith 08-16-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hip check (Post 35978243)

If the goaltending sucks that bad, no way the front office will go through the entire season without making a trade or acquisition.

leesmith 08-16-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 (Post 35981027)
haters

You'd think we'd finally earn some respect from Canada after attaching a giant Tim Horton's to our rink! :sarcasm:

Viqsi 08-16-2011 08:52 PM

Okay, I now have the best possible indicator that THN's left hand doesn't know what it's right is doing - to the point that I'm tempted to start a mains thread about it.

It can be summed up as follows:

Rick DiPietro is projected to have 17 wins with the Islanders.
Al Montoya is projected to have 24 wins.
Evgeni Nabokov is projected to have 10 wins.

The Islanders are therefore expected to finish 12th in the East with a 102-point season. http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/faint2.gif

TaketheCannoli 08-16-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 35980009)
Got both as part of my electronic subscription. They're using stats from their fantasy guide in their projections, so they're fair game.

I got the Pool Guide and saw those projections. Not only are the Isles goalies going to win all those games, Tavares is projected to have 82 points, Okposo, Streit, Grabner and Moulson with 55-57 points. As a rookie defenseman, Travis Hamonic with 37 points

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is projected with 55 points this year, and Linus Omark with 47, yet project Brayden Schenn for 50 and Ryan Johansen for 45, who THN claims are the 2 highest rated prospects.

Oh, and they project Brassard with 53, Carter 74, Nash 77,

Viqsi 08-16-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leek (Post 35983317)
I got the Pool Guide and saw those projections. Not only are the Isles goalies going to win all those games, Tavares is projected to have 82 points, Okposo, Streit, Grabner and Moulson with 55-57 points. As a rookie defenseman, Travis Hamonic with 37 points

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is projected with 55 points this year, and Linus Omark with 47, yet project Brayden Schenn for 50 and Ryan Johansen for 45, who THN claims are the 2 highest rated prospects.

Oh, and they project Brassard with 53, Carter 74, Nash 77,

Even more fun: Mikael Backlund adds 5 games played and more than doubles his point total (25 in 73 to 53 in 78), Prospal's expected to get 37 points in 75 games...

...and then there's the one that got me started looking more closely at this stuff, when I just happened to glance over at the next page in the fantasy guide, covering the Dallas Stars: Jamie Benn plays nine more games... and scores 10 less points. :whaaa?:
(They have across-the-board drops for pretty much everybody over there thanks to Richards' departure, but that one just blew me away.)

gojackets1 08-16-2011 10:07 PM

Viq, how many wins do our goalies have? Im curious based on the Isles predictions...

TaketheCannoli 08-16-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gojackets1 (Post 35983649)
Viq, how many wins do our goalies have? Im curious based on the Isles predictions...

Mason has 29, no projection for Dekanich.

In all fairness to THN, almost every year they project the Jackets as a weak team, we complain they are haters, and then the Jackets do whatever they have to do to prove THN right. I think there were two years they were way off. In 05-06 I think they picked the Jackets either 7th or 8th, and of course they sucked, in 08-09 they had the CBJ missing the playoffs and they got in.

Viqsi 08-16-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leek (Post 35983697)
Mason has 29, no projection for Dekanich

Which would, incidentally, be five more wins than he had last year.

I think they're assuming Dekanich is going to fail miserably. If he wins at roughly the same rate they're projecting Mason to win (assuming 54-55 starts by Mason and the rest by Dex), that gets us 85 points. But that's only wins - you also have to throw in OTL points. Most teams get about 5-15 points out of those, roughly.

Hmmm.

leesmith 08-16-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

In all fairness to THN, almost every year they project the Jackets as a weak team, we complain they are haters, and then the Jackets do whatever they have to do to prove THN right. I think there were two years they were way off. In 05-06 I think they picked the Jackets either 7th or 8th, and of course they sucked, in 08-09 they had the CBJ missing the playoffs and they got in.

So if they're wrong every three years, 11-12 is our year! :handclap:

Viqsi 08-16-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Generally when they project us as a weak team in the NHL they don't equally as readily project us to be a competitive team fantasy-wise. At least, that hasn't been my experience.

Then again, I don't follow their fantasy stuff regularly. :dunno: