HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Nearing 40 and minor injuries piling up: Anyone else? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=970283)

Guffaw 08-17-2011 09:39 PM

Nearing 40 and minor injuries piling up: Anyone else?
 
I've been back playing again now for 5 months after a 16 year layoff. I'm having a blast, but man my body is hurtin. This is playing 2-3 times per week in a men's league (no check) and competitive pickup. I turn 39 in October so I know I know, but anyone else in this boat? Does it get better? Solutions? I do play hard, some diving for pucks/deflecting passes etc. which I may need to stop.

Anyway here's my list from head to toe.

-Sore neck after playing (mri showed nothing)
-tendonitis in right elbow(work related)
-hyper extended left ring finger(permanently swollen)
-repeated deeply bruised right hip bone(may need pro level pants)
-can't bend right knee past 90 degrees without pain(suspect a minor tear of my lateral meniscus after catching an edge)
-3 skate bunions from my stiff Graf G35's

Just wondering if it's growing pains or if this is how it's gonna be:shakehead

flyers10 08-17-2011 10:00 PM

That's how it is going to be. :laugh: I'm 40 and got back into after a few years off and used to play 1x week then. Now 2-3 times a week and I'm trying to improve so I try to bust my arse every shift. I've gotten some injuries that nag me:

2 herniated discs (from 20 years ago,other sports)
wrist tendonitis (top hand)
elbow tendonitis (lower hand)
lost toenail
nasty inner thigh bruise (took 8 months for pain to go away)
sore neck occasionally
bump above knee that won't go away

I try to get out of the way of shots now. Let my goalie deal with it.

noobman 08-17-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 36008943)
I've been back playing again now for 5 months after a 16 year layoff. I'm having a blast, but man my body is hurtin. This is playing 2-3 times per week in a men's league (no check) and competitive pickup. I turn 39 in October so I know I know, but anyone else in this boat? Does it get better? Solutions? I do play hard, some diving for pucks/deflecting passes etc. which I may need to stop.

Anyway here's my list from head to toe.

-Sore neck after playing (mri showed nothing)
-tendonitis in right elbow(work related)
-hyper extended left ring finger(permanently swollen)
-repeated deeply bruised right hip bone(may need pro level pants)
-can't bend right knee past 90 degrees without pain(suspect a minor tear of my lateral meniscus after catching an edge)
-3 skate bunions from my stiff Graf G35's

Just wondering if it's growing pains or if this is how it's gonna be:shakehead


- Dodgy knee from hyperextension as a teenager
- lace bite issues... alleviated with some extra padding
- Haglund's deformity...alleviated with a gel pad
- nagging shoulder problems from a grade II separation (19)
- almost lost tooth (saved by rather painful root canal procedure)

I've excluded a fractured wrist and a broken hand from playing, as those have both healed up quite nicely.


Not bad for 22 :yo:

The Tikkanen 08-17-2011 10:31 PM

38, only thing I've noticed is more frequent trips to the chiropractor from getting out of alignment. The thing that makes me laugh is I usually do not remember getting hit or going down where I would be out of alignment. If you're sore you need to look into supplements and cleaning up your diet. I'd also suggest working out specifically for hockey, I think that's helped me the most in avoiding injuries in 18 years of playing hockey.

Guffaw 08-18-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 36010409)
38, only thing I've noticed is more frequent trips to the chiropractor from getting out of alignment. The thing that makes me laugh is I usually do not remember getting hit or going down where I would be out of alignment. If you're sore you need to look into supplements and cleaning up your diet. I'd also suggest working out specifically for hockey, I think that's helped me the most in avoiding injuries in 18 years of playing hockey.

Thanks for the tips. I'm kind of a health nut so my diet is pretty good. I've just recently started the hockey specific workouts and stretching so we'll see how that does. I guess you just have to address each injury specifically. The equipment related ones are easy.

The other problem is my work. I get beat up there too as an auto technician. Career change is coming soon hopefully so that may help.

Older guys, what over the counter have you found works best for joint pain(tendonitis, general soreness, etc.)? Alleve, Advil, Tylenol?

cpac47 08-18-2011 07:07 AM

Yoga...Yes I know some people may laugh at it but I'm 43 and play competitive hockey and recreational soccer and feel fine after the games. I have been doing yoga 2x per week for over a year and have noticed a marked improvement in my overall endurance, flexibility and strength.

shoeshine boy 08-18-2011 07:44 AM

after I hit 40 I found it harder and harder to recover. I play about the same amount that you do. the worst is when I have 2 games in one day. that just wipes me out for the next day.
2 things that I do help keep the soreness at bay: Aleve and regular neuromuscular massage.
I take Aleve before every game and once a month or so O go see my massage therapist. neuromuscular massage is different from the typical swedish massage in that it's not about relaxation. it's more about helping you in the long run than helping you right then.

rinkrat22 08-18-2011 10:34 AM

38, birthday coming up in September. I skate everyday that I'm off duty sometimes twice in one day. (even if I have a game at night I will still play pickup in the morning if I can make it to one).

i haven't had to many hockey related injuries that would keep me from playing, but I have noticed that it takes longer to heal. bruises seem to take a month to go away when it used to be a week or two.

As far as fitness, I use a lot of differnet tools to stay in shape. weight room, kettlebells, tons on stretching, and foam rolling, Chiropractic with massage thearpy. my diet sucks though and I drink to much after games at night. kinda explains why I can't loose those last 10 lbs.:sarcasm:

The Tikkanen 08-18-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 36014721)
Thanks for the tips. I'm kind of a health nut so my diet is pretty good. I've just recently started the hockey specific workouts and stretching so we'll see how that does. I guess you just have to address each injury specifically. The equipment related ones are easy.

The other problem is my work. I get beat up there too as an auto technician. Career change is coming soon hopefully so that may help.

Older guys, what over the counter have you found works best for joint pain(tendonitis, general soreness, etc.)? Alleve, Advil, Tylenol?

I don't get joint pain and I honestly believe I avoid general soreness due to the fact that I use supplements before I work out or play hockey. If I have 2 games on Sunday when I wake up Monday I feel normal. I worked for Fed Ex from 30 up until February of this year so my body was in a constant state of repair mode, never really had more than 1 day for recovery. Based on your job you might want to look into using supplements 5 days a week so you avoid the worn down feeling. It can be something as simple as adding some Whey protein to your diet in the morning, daily vitamins, more water, I'd experiment until you feel good every day.

customradius 08-18-2011 03:29 PM

Same boat, 38, I had also taken about 15 years off. (worst mistake ever)

My body is certainly not the same though I am in pretty decent physical condition arguably better than my early 20's. This is mostly due to the fact that I eat well, exercise as much as possible (P90, gym, biking) and try to stretch.

I have also been taking glucosamine/chondrointin as my knees and shoulders ache. It may or may not help let you know in about a year!

I had some injuries in may late teens/early 20's that contribute "less than desirable performance" as an adult such as a broken tibia and a torn quadricept on the same leg. Today that foot is a whole size smaller than the left and the leg is weaker overall.

Recently suffered a cracked bursa on the knee (same leg) it healed quite well, a little discomfort under strain but no pain while skating.

Left shoulder injury, prob slightly torn rotator. Went away with conservative therapy.

The biggest PIA is the torn quad which is unrepairable at this time. It really hampers my skating and endurance.

blueberrydanish 08-18-2011 04:14 PM

Got this callus on my thumb from an older pair of gloves that seems to be permanent....uhhhh besides that Im good.

OH this threads for the old dogs nvm ! =p

Pens75 08-18-2011 04:30 PM

Just like the saying goes, death begins at 40.

When I was 38 I felt 28, seriously.

Now that I'm in my mid 40's, lots of little things popping up and takes much longer to heal.

I'm starting to accept that Pre-40 and Post-40 are two different lives.

Guffaw 08-18-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 36021285)
I don't get joint pain and I honestly believe I avoid general soreness due to the fact that I use supplements before I work out or play hockey. If I have 2 games on Sunday when I wake up Monday I feel normal. I worked for Fed Ex from 30 up until February of this year so my body was in a constant state of repair mode, never really had more than 1 day for recovery. Based on your job you might want to look into using supplements 5 days a week so you avoid the worn down feeling. It can be something as simple as adding some Whey protein to your diet in the morning, daily vitamins, more water, I'd experiment until you feel good every day.

-GNC wheybolic extreme 60 twice a day
-GNC Mega Men Sport multi twice a day
-GNC triple strength fish oil once a day.

My diet is clean. The only thing lifestyle wise is probably not enough sleep and a little too much drinky at times:) I'll be working on those two.

I've always been like this honestly. Even in college I was the guy on the back of the bus with ice packs on every part of my body coming back from games. I think some are just built a little more rugged than others. Like you said I'm not really ever getting a chance to recover between work, the gym, and hockey.

Alleve before games. Maybe I'll try that.

gojacketsgo61 08-18-2011 06:23 PM

Not even 20 and I have shot knee's, tendonitis in my legs/arms, doctor says I have signs of minor arthritis, 3 fake teeth (They look real!), messed up wrist, after doing anything physical, my knees are wobbly for a few hours and after hockey I can't feel anything below my knees, My multiple concussions haven't had any long term effects though!


I can't wait to see how I age....

On a side note, my old sports doctor said all of these were 'growing pains'. Wonderful doctor he was.

The Tikkanen 08-18-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 36030633)
-GNC wheybolic extreme 60 twice a day
-GNC Mega Men Sport multi twice a day
-GNC triple strength fish oil once a day.

My diet is clean. The only thing lifestyle wise is probably not enough sleep and a little too much drinky at times:) I'll be working on those two.

I've always been like this honestly. Even in college I was the guy on the back of the bus with ice packs on every part of my body coming back from games. I think some are just built a little more rugged than others. Like you said I'm not really ever getting a chance to recover between work, the gym, and hockey.

Alleve before games. Maybe I'll try that.

I must be rugged.

beth 08-18-2011 10:19 PM

I'm actually doing really well, injury-wise, right now. I started my hockey journey a year ago and have gone through two sprained knees, a sprained ring-finger (which came about when I tripped over a pile of hockey gear, not while playing, lol), but the only thing I have happening at the moment is that I have an extra click in my hip. I need to get some better pants, but I haven't been able to find any that fit right with lots of protection.

Gino 14 08-18-2011 11:55 PM

I didn't start skating till I was 41 so I can't compare my aches to anything previous. One thing I did notice was that the more I skate, not just play, the less I hurt and got hurt. Kettlebells have done wonders for my time spent as a goalie, I saw a difference within about a month just in my ability to get up and down. Also, it seems to have help me with power in my stride, or as much as it can for an old guy. Got a hot tub recently also, can't wait to see how that affects the after skating aches.

raygunpk 08-19-2011 12:23 AM

You should stretch every morning and/or do some yoga. Flexibility is an issue as you get older.

Guffaw 08-19-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 36033931)
I must be rugged.

It's possible. We are the same age, but how long have you currently been playing? I've been back at it only 5 months and the first 2 months were only once a week. I think some of it is growing pains as well as getting my equipment issues sorted(skates, something to stop my hip bones from getting bruised). Some guys also play harder than others. I'm not saying you do or don't, just in general.

Guffaw 08-19-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raygunpk (Post 36040131)
You should stretch every morning and/or do some yoga. Flexibility is an issue as you get older.

Thanks and agree, but I never stretch cold. I stretch after games/workouts. In Peter Twists book, Complete Conditioning for Hockey, he stresses that you shouldn't do static stretches when cold or at all before games.

ComradeChris 08-19-2011 01:39 AM

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet.

STRETCH OUT YOUR MUSCLES BEFORE AND AFTER YOUR SKATE

I REPEAT THAT YOU MUST STRETCH YOUR MUSCLES OR YOU GET A MUCH HIGHER RISK OF INJURY

trtaylor 08-19-2011 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raygunpk (Post 36040131)
You should stretch every morning and/or do some yoga. Flexibility is an issue as you get older.

This ^.

Here are two flexibility/warmup routines I have been using. Oh, I am about to turn 54.

Upper body
Lower body

Guffaw 08-19-2011 09:05 AM

Sorry guys I'm going to have to disagree there. Static stretch warm muscles only. Pre game I do dynamic stretching to help get my core temperature up, leg swings front to back, side to side, trunk rotations, etc.

If you are static stretching (stretch and hold) cold muscles before workouts or games you aren't helping yourself. It can leave muscles tighter, can lead to injury, and can actually hurt your on ice performance. Static stretch only after your muscles are warm. Any trainer/exercise physiologist that knows anything will tell you the same.

Static stretch after workouts and games.

The Tikkanen 08-19-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 36040797)
It's possible. We are the same age, but how long have you currently been playing? I've been back at it only 5 months and the first 2 months were only once a week. I think some of it is growing pains as well as getting my equipment issues sorted(skates, something to stop my hip bones from getting bruised). Some guys also play harder than others. I'm not saying you do or don't, just in general.

I've been playing constantly for 18 years. Switched from roller to ice full time when I turned 30 but was playing up to 3 times a week. I try to play at least twice a week. When I hit 30 I began taking supplements directly before I played hockey or working out, OTC stuff which usually contained creatine. I'd say most of my equipment is high end, which could be another cause/effect. I try to stay as lightweight/breathable as possible while having the best protection at the same time. The only real injuries I've had in 18 years are a torn acl my first season, sprained an ankle, took a puck to the chin and a puck to the mouth which required stitches. I would think it probably has a lot to do with the fact that I have been playing once a week for 18 years. Maybe you're body gets used to it, I have a set routine and I have stuck to it for a long time to prevent that worn out feeling? My idol was Esa Tikkanen so I play a pretty "rugged" style.

Guffaw 08-19-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 36047575)
I've been playing constantly for 18 years. Switched from roller to ice full time when I turned 30 but was playing up to 3 times a week. I try to play at least twice a week. When I hit 30 I began taking supplements directly before I played hockey or working out, OTC stuff which usually contained creatine. I'd say most of my equipment is high end, which could be another cause/effect. I try to stay as lightweight/breathable as possible while having the best protection at the same time. The only real injuries I've had in 18 years are a torn acl my first season, sprained an ankle, took a puck to the chin and a puck to the mouth which required stitches. I would think it probably has a lot to do with the fact that I have been playing once a week for 18 years. Maybe you're body gets used to it, I have a set routine and I have stuck to it for a long time to prevent that worn out feeling? My idol was Esa Tikkanen so I play a pretty "rugged" style.

I totally agree. Instead of getting frustrated or bummed out about it I'm just going to deal with each injury and try and prevent it from happening again. Getting my skates punched and better pants are half of it. I've stopped diving for pucks and don't look to initiate contact as much. I think alot of it is just that I'm not used to it. I went from nothing to playing pretty hard 2-3X per week so it will take me some time.

Thanks for your incite.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.