HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Buffalo-Pitt (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=972189)

mpp9 08-21-2011 06:06 PM

Buffalo-Pitt

At the trade deadline...

Buffalo: 2nd

Pitt: Boyes

Buffalo gets their 2nd round pick back in an arguably better draft and sheds cap space for a move as they're near cup contenders imo. Pittsburgh gets an element of playmaking on the RW and another RHS for the PP especially with Sullivan's injury history a worry and Tyler Kennedy still unproven in that regard.

Buffalo could use one of Letestu/Jeffrey but that'd be overpayment from a Pens' perspective as Boyes is a rental. Pitt could use a solid #5 D-man so maybe a larger deal could be put together involving Leopold if Buffalo's depth on D allows it. Even with prorated salaries at the deadline and Pitt with over a million in cap space to start the season, we would need to shed a contract such as Niskanen's.

Prairie Habs 08-21-2011 06:07 PM

Buffalo thinks they will be competing for the division so I doubt dumping top-sixers for picks is in their plans

mpp9 08-21-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairie Habs (Post 36098051)
Buffalo thinks they will be competing for the division so I doubt dumping top-sixers for picks is in their plans

From what I understand he's a luxury in Buffalo as he'll be playing as a depth scoring wing on the 3rd line. At 4 million in salary, he would be a prime target to make room for that veteran bottom six center to put them over the top imo.

Jaromir Jagrbombs 08-21-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

This. I don't see why Buffalo would want to move him, unless they're way out of the playoff picture at the trade deadline... and I don't think anyone expects that to be the case.

ct2111 08-21-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpp9 (Post 36098105)
From what I understand he's a luxury in Buffalo as he'll be playing as a depth scoring wing on the 3rd line. At 4 million in salary, he would be a prime target to make room for that veteran bottom six center to put them over the top imo.

Even if the Sabres were willing to trade Boyes for a pick the Penguins couldn't afford his caphit.

Edit: Missed the "trade deadline" part. If Boyes has a decent season, he'll cost more than a 2nd, plus he would be unlikely to be moved. If he has a bad season, nobody would want him for a 2nd. I don't really see a middle ground with him tbh.

mpp9 08-21-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgn (Post 36098159)
Even if the Sabres were willing to trade Boyes for a pick the Penguins couldn't afford his caphit.

At the deadline yes we could. We'd have at least 4 mil in prorated cap room without moving a contract.

JOHNBOY 08-21-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpp9 (Post 36098183)
At the deadline yes we could. We'd have at least 4 mil in prorated cap room without moving a contract.

If they move Boyes its now or never..

mpp9 08-21-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY (Post 36098263)
If they move Boyes its now or never..

Not sure if I understand that. As long as they move his contract so they can take on another but at position of need at center then they accomplish their goal. Having him as a depth forward throughout the regular season and seeing how the injury front is come trade deadline is the better route imo....

jmelm 08-21-2011 06:25 PM

As a Pens fan I want to STOP trading draft picks unless it's going to be for a really good player who will be here long-term, and not a rental.

mpp9 08-21-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmelm (Post 36098403)
As a Pens fan I want to STOP trading draft picks unless it's going to be for a really good player who will be here long-term, and not a rental.

I'd rather keep Letestu, Jeffrey, Tangradi, Depres and our current prospects along with our 1st and 3rd round picks and pick up a rental but that's just me.

ct2111 08-21-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpp9 (Post 36098385)
Not sure if I understand that. As long as they move his contract so they can take on another but at position of need at center then they accomplish their goal. Having him as a depth forward throughout the regular season and seeing how the injury front is come trade deadline is the better route imo....

Assuming Boyes has a decent season (you're assuming the Pens would be willing to cough up a 2nd and nobody would want to give up a rather high-ish pick for a rental who's struggling).

Why would they trade him without getting a center back? Especially if they're trying to make some noise in the playoffs, it seems counterproductive to get rid of him for just a pick. Trading him proactively just in case they can get a center doesn't seem very well thought out.

Why would they trade him to the Pens? Late 2nd round pick plus strengthen a team they could meet in the 1st or 2nd round. A West team or atleast a team fighting for a playoffs spot seems far more likely.

Why would they generally trade a player who's playing well? Doesn't it seem more likely to trade a player who's struggling? What kind of message does it send for a team trying to advance in the playoffs, when other player who aren't performing well are staying while he gets sent packing for a pick? When was the last time such an event happened that a team sitting in the playoffs spots trades a well-playing rental for futures?

It just doesn't seem very likely that he'll get moved by the trade deadline, if he's playing well.

Edit: If you're assuming the Sabres have agreed on a separate trade making it essentially a three-way move, that's a different thing.

Sabretip 08-21-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Agreed - and if Boyes manages to revive his game where he's sitting on 20+ goals by the deadline, it's even less likely that the Sabres dump him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpp9 (Post 36098105)

How does dealing a 3rd line winger for a 3rd line center put them "over the top"? If anything, the Sabres already have a center (Adam) that is closer to playing in the bottom 6 - which is not the case at wing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagrbombs (Post 36098113)
This. I don't see why Buffalo would want to move him, unless they're way out of the playoff picture at the trade deadline... and I don't think anyone expects that to be the case.

:thumbu:

Dragon Priest 08-21-2011 08:58 PM

I would say yes. But I will have to get back to you at the trade deadline. Value wise, as a Pens fan, I would take it. But I would think Buffalo, who is trying to make a push this year, would want something back for a Cup run in return. Maybe a Letestu or something around those lines. If Buffalo were to trade Boyes to Pittsburgh, I would assume they would be making another trade to fill his void for a playoff run, if they didn't bring a roster player back from Pittsburgh. Maybe (for Buffalo) it would be one of those things where they flip Boyes for a 2nd and then move the pick and a lower tier prospect for another player that fits the team better.

Stop Winnin 08-21-2011 09:01 PM

Didn't Boyes and Crosby play together at the WJC or something?

lifeisruff 08-21-2011 09:48 PM

values good for Buffalo, but it would be contingent on another trade bringing a big money (or medium money center to Buffalo)

PADevil3034 08-21-2011 09:59 PM

I'm sure Buffalo would take this -- especially, since this would be at the trade deadline, they had another option to bring in.

Richie Daggers Crime 08-21-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kishire (Post 36101415)
Didn't Boyes and Crosby play together at the WJC or something?

I heard that Crosby likes Boyes....

McTank 08-21-2011 11:50 PM

I heard Boyes laich semin :o

McTank 08-21-2011 11:59 PM

In all seriousness this is a good deal if buffalo has another deal lined up for a boyes upgrade

chopkins 08-22-2011 12:13 AM

Not sure why Buffalo would move Boyes for a pick. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having depth, as Boston proved last year. I don't believe they even have cap problems right now, so there's no reason to move him.

mpp9 08-22-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP (Post 36104923)
Not sure why Buffalo would move Boyes for a pick. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having depth, as Boston proved last year. I don't believe they even have cap problems right now, so there's no reason to move him.

Not saying there's anything wrong with depth but Buffalo does have a need at center. It's questionable enough if Leino can play center in the top six. Boyes is a luxury that can be moved to fill a need. It's not complicated.

And Buffalo is very much so over the cap right now. They can bury a couple players in the minors to get by for now, but they will need to move a roster player like Boyes if they want to make a move at the deadline, barring ltir cap space.

struckbyaparkedcar 08-22-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpp9 (Post 36104973)
Not saying there's anything wrong with depth but Buffalo does have a need at center. It's questionable enough if Leino can play center in the top six. Boyes is a luxury that can be moved to fill a need. It's not complicated.

And Buffalo is very much so over the cap right now. They can bury a couple players in the minors to get by for now, but they will need to move a roster player like Boyes if they want to make a move at the deadline, barring ltir cap space.

Buffalo has like 1.4 million in cap space if they ice a slim lineup (Gragnani as the only extra). They'll be able to add roughly quadruple that in salary come the deadline, if banking cap space works like I think it does. Anything bigger or earlier would likely involve moving salary the other way anyway (moving Pominville/Leopold/etc).

Reacher Gilt 08-22-2011 02:56 AM

I like it.

Pominville should be ready for the training camp, but we'll have to see where he is.
When they found their lines and Boyes finds himself on the 3. line we could deal him if this line doesn't work well.

But we need someone to fill that spot, could be Kassian or Adam.
Then this trade would be great.

Cirris 08-22-2011 04:18 AM

Pittsburgh isn't going to give up a 2nd for a player who's in the last year of his deal. They may consider it for a 3rd or 4th.

tony d 08-22-2011 06:47 AM

I think Buffalo and Pittsburgh are going to be in contention for playoff seedings, no way do they make this trade.