HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Music: Pearl Jam Appreciation thread (formerly "Ten" turns 20) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=975120)

SB164 08-27-2011 06:25 AM

Pearl Jam Appreciation thread (formerly "Ten" turns 20)

Considered one of the greatest debut albums of all time, and one of the greatest rock albums ever (certainly of the 90's), Ten was released on August 27th, 1991.

How I came to be a fan: While I was too young in '91, I had grown up in the mid 90's listening to this album thanks to my older brother, and it's remained one of favourites ever since.

While Pearl Jam hasn't remained as popular within the last decade, they still have one of the most devoted fanbases around, and this album seems to hold a special place in many people's hearts.

So, any Pearl Jam fans out there? When did you first listen to this album? Favourite song(s) from Ten? Do you still listen to it today? And if you remember buying the cd, or even the cassette tape (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Cassette) in 91, is this one of those "I'm getting too old for this ****" moments?

Sundance 08-27-2011 07:22 AM

Sweet album. Only bit of Pearl Jam I liked.

third man in 08-27-2011 08:07 AM

Yeah listened to it when it first came out. Jeremy was overplayed. Black was/is my favorite song on the album. In other news I am starting to feel old. Stop these threads please.

SpinTheBlackCircle 08-27-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB164 (Post 36242416)
So, any Pearl Jam fans out there?

Going to the 20th Anniversary festival next weekend.

Flying to Vancouver in September to see them.

Yes. A fan.

EpochLink 08-27-2011 12:12 PM

I was 6 years old when this album came out...

I'm getting old.

Voodoo Child 08-27-2011 12:21 PM

I picked up Ten on vacay in Florida in '92 when I was 8 years old (I was awesome from an early age).

It's the only record I've ever bought three times (stolen, scratched beyond recognition, loaned to someone who never returned it...and that is why I don't let people borrow stuff anymore).

My favorite songs are Alive, Black, Garden and Release (I can never decide).

Takeo 08-27-2011 01:36 PM

I love when they open shows with Release. For the record, my "Pearl Gym" mix starts with Porch. So badass. Or as Kurt said, so cockrock.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/i...earljamtwenty/

brtriad 08-27-2011 03:03 PM

I'm heading up to both days of the Anniversary show at Alpine Valley. Been waiting for this one all summer. They've also got a documentary coming out by Cameron Crowe documenting their career.

Buckets and Gloves 08-27-2011 05:38 PM

Seeing them in Hamilton on the 15th of Septmeber.

Last time they were in Hamilton is was Eddie's friends wedding or something and he was getting licked off whine and just contanstly making toasts... it was hilarious...

"Have another toast.... to coffee and donuts in Hamilton"....lulz

PromNite 08-27-2011 06:21 PM

Ugh, getting old.

I remember waking up early before school just so I could listen to the album before I had to go to class.

What an amazing album.

KaylaJ 08-27-2011 06:51 PM

Seriously, thanks for this "you are old" reminder lol. I think I first heard Pearl Jam when it was played on Head Banger's Ball on MTV before they exploded. I even remember my mother taking me to the mall late one Saturday night to buy the Ten shirt, with the play list on the back. For awhile when I wore it people were confused as to what it meant and seriously tried to take the "note" on my back off. :shakehead

Afino 08-27-2011 06:57 PM

Long live Mookie Blaylock.

Dolemite 08-27-2011 07:17 PM

I saw them perform this album live before it first came out at a club (the now defunct RCKNDY in Seattle). It was the night they filmed the video for 'Alive'. It was an awesome night that I'll never forget. The night was as follows:

Opening Band -> Pearl Jam Set (Basically all of 'Alive') -> 15 minute break -> Filmed the video for 'Alive' -> 10 minute break -> Chris Cornell & Matt Cameron (then of Soundgarden) came out and did a 'Temple of the Dog' set with the band.

This is one of my top 3 live shows I've ever seen.

Raging Bull 08-27-2011 07:27 PM

1991 was awesome. Nevermind and Blood Sugar Sex Magik both turn twenty on September 24th.

Trends Analyst 08-27-2011 08:18 PM

Seeing the Vancouver show only this year, first time in ten years that I have only seen 1 show on a tour, usually try to catch a minimum of 4-5, sometimes as many as 10-12.

brtriad 08-28-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolemite (Post 36253822)
I saw them perform this album live before it first came out at a club (the now defunct RCKNDY in Seattle). It was the night they filmed the video for 'Alive'. It was an awesome night that I'll never forget. The night was as follows:

Opening Band -> Pearl Jam Set (Basically all of 'Alive') -> 15 minute break -> Filmed the video for 'Alive' -> 10 minute break -> Chris Cornell & Matt Cameron (then of Soundgarden) came out and did a 'Temple of the Dog' set with the band.

This is one of my top 3 live shows I've ever seen.

You're a lucky man. I'd kill to see that show.

Dolemite 08-28-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtriad (Post 36260402)
You're a lucky man. I'd kill to see that show.

I totally saw that show on a whim. There was some buzz about the band based on the Mother love bone connection and early buzz when they were called 'Mookie Blaylock'. After seeing the show, I knew this album was going to be something special. I had no clue how big they and the album would be.

They were in the right place at the right time when it all came together.

DaStars99 08-28-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle (Post 36243048)

Yes. A fan.

jealous

Trends Analyst 08-28-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle (Post 36243048)

Yes. A fan.

What is your show count at? Just curious...

MetalheadPenguinsFan 08-28-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundance (Post 36242706)
Sweet album. Only bit of Pearl Jam I liked.

My sentiments exactly.

kmad 08-28-2011 09:01 PM

Huge Pearl Jam fan, seeing them live for the fifth time next month. Got into them when I realized that they were the band who did Even Flow. I thought it was Stone Temple Pilots until I was 18.

Blackhawkswincup 08-29-2011 01:27 AM

Grew up listening to PJ (Missed out on there peek cause I was too young)

Ten is a great album and this makes me old

I remember being pretty excited to buy No Code and Yield when they were coming out. I know both those albums are mixed as far as fan views but I have enjoyed almost all of Pearl Jam's work

ProstheticConscience 08-29-2011 02:16 AM

Ten, Nevermind and BlookSugarSexMagik are not allowed to be that old.

There's nothing more depressing than stuff I remember being fresh and edgy in nightclubs being 20. It's bad enough hearing Ozzy Osbourne and Van Halen in supermarkets.

Acadmus 08-29-2011 09:01 AM

I bought Ten probably in 1992...held off but it was too good. Black is also my favorite track, but I have the album high up in my list of all time albums (that I've heard;) ) on Besteveralbums.com.

Also loaned my copy to someone once and got it back scratched - what the hell is peoples' problem when borrowing CDs:rant::laugh:

Lost Horizons 08-29-2011 11:35 AM

I've always preferred VS to Ten although Black is one of my favorite songs they've done.