HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   General Fantasy Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   (EHM 2007) Fantasy DB Project: Canadian NHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=975999)

nietzsche 08-29-2011 01:39 PM

(EHM 2007) Fantasy DB Project: Canadian NHL

Hello everyone, long time reader and EHM player but not much of a poster here.

Been working on this project for a couple of weeks. I've been playing EHM since the freeware version and have save games on EHM07 that reach 2050's, so modding has been a great way to keep me entertained, despite de set backs due to inability to change some hard-coded things. Anyway....

With the Jets move to Winnipeg recently, I've started developing this fantasy DB with a fully Canadian NHL, and a fully canadian minor/feeder league. Basically, it goes like this:

Most real canadian teams remain as they are. I have ressurected past Canadian NHL/WHA/NHA/AHL teams, like the Quebec Nordiques, Vancouver Millionaires, Montreal Maroons, Hamilton Tigers, Toronto St. Pat's, Winnipeg Falcons, Victoria Cougars, Quebec Aces, Regina Capitals, New Brunswick Hawks, Halifax Citadels

Some former Major Junior Leagues/CIS teams are now NHL teams, like the Sherbrooke Castors, Laval Voisin, Saskatchewan Huskies and some fantasy teams, the Missisauga Nationals, London Racers, Newfoundland Islanders, British Columbia Express, Bramptom Bears, Edmonton Eskimos and Kitchener-Waterloo Greenshirts.

Total: 30 teams, as spread out as I could make, keeping large metropolitan areas as priority.

I have rewritten the Canadian Major Junior leagues, resurecting past teams:

WHL: Flin Flon Bombers, Nanaimo Islanders, Penticton Knights, Victoria Royals (recently joined the WHL), Chilliwack Chiefs, Calgary Centennials, Edmonton Oil Kings, replacing the USA-based teams, Chilliwack Bruins (replaced by Chilliwack Chiefs) and Calgary Hitmen (replaced by the Centennials).

OHL: Cornwall Royals, North Bay Centennials, Hamilton Steelhawks, replacing USA-based teams

QMJHL: Montreal Juniors, Granby Bisons, Hull Olympiques, Verdun-College Franšais, replacing the Lewiston MAINEiacs, Saint John Sea Dogs, Gatineau Olympiques, and St. John's Fog Devils, respectively.

The AHL has become a fully canadian minor league, compromised of:

Past Canadian AHL Teams (Saint John Flames, Fredericton Express, Moncton Alpines, Cornwall Aces, Quebec Citadelles, Nova Scotia Voyageurs, PEI Senators),

Present day AHL/ECHL teams (Abbotsford Heat, Hamilton Bulldogs, Toronto Marlies, Victoria Salmon Kings)

and past teams from CIS/Major Junior/Defunct leagues (Ottawa Nationals, Nermarket Saints, Surrey Eagles, Trail Smoke Eaters, Toronto Toros, Laval Titan, Windsor Lancers, Regina Cougars, Calgary Wranglers, Kelowna Spartans, Guelph Gryphons, Nanaimo Clippers, Sudbury Cubs, Niagara Falls Flyers, Winnipeg Warriors)

The USA teams have formed a USA League (named Hockey America), with:

present day teams (most of them), Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, New York Rangers, St. Louis Blues, Detroit Red Wings, Washington Capitals, Los Angeles Kings, Chicago Blackhawks, Alaska Aces, Portland Pirates

and past teams, Hartford Whalers, Colorado Rockies, Kansas City Scouts, Seattle Totems, Atlanta Flames, New York Americans, California Seals, Minnesota North Stars, Houston Aeros, Indianapolis Racers, Cleveland Barons, Detroit Cougars, with the league (and teams) having NHL-like reputation, as a competing league

With teams possibily being added further.

The ECHL will become a (yet to be named) American-based minor league, with teams like the Rochester Americans, San Diego Mariners, Oklahoma City Blazers, Grand Rapids Griffins, Binghamton Whalers, Flint Generals, Utah Grizzlies, San Jose Sharks, Florida Panthers, Chicago Wolves, Springfield Indians, Milwalkee Admirals and many others, totalling 25.

Everything is almost done, and I would certainly like to share this with anyone interested in the EHM/HFBoards community.

As I said, some things are yet to be done, but the NHL and AHL is mostly done (team colours, Arenas, staff, reputations, budgets).

I have added some tweaks aswell, like making the European leagues closer reputation-wise to the NHL, and making the RSL like the actual KHL.

I've been working on the team's logos this past week, or so, and would like to post some for opinions. Most of the existing teams will get new logos aswell.

I would really like some input into this. What do you guys think? Suggestions? Is it interesting?

nietzsche 08-29-2011 01:47 PM

Separating posts as to not make it too long.

I tried to make it in such a way that it's not like the USA/Canada teams split in 2006, but as if they split in the early 1900's!

So, it is made in such a way that history has been re-writen.

Since the NY Americans never folded, there are no NY Islanders. Same with the Colorado Avalanche, New Jersey Devils (formerly the Kansas City Scouts) and San Jose Sharks (California Seals, I believe) and Calgary Flames (Atlanta Flames).

WHA teams like the Calgary Cowboys, Ottawa Civics and Houston Aeros, are now major league teams in their respective countries.

But this is somewhat selective, because there are both the Detroit Cougars and Detroit Red Wings, when the former became the later in reality. I simply couldn't get myself to make the Red Wings non-existent.

Some teams, like the Nashville Predators and Anaheim Ducks simply never came to existence. This is mostly due to having terrible names (alltough I love the Ducks movies). Other expansion teams are minor league teams now, like the Florida Panthers and Columbus Blue Jackets. I'm thorn beetwen making the NJ Devils and Dallas Stars minor league teams aswell. Possibly the Nashville Predators.

I've done a lot of research on historical teams, and only really created a couple of teams. A lot of teams come from real past Canadian teams from the AHL, like the Fredericton Express, Halifax Citadels, and others.

Some come from major junior, with Sherbrooke Castors and Laval Voisins beeing possibly the coolest team names ever.

Old time teams, like Winnipeg Falcons, Hamilton Tigers, Vancouver Millionaires, Quebec Aces, Victoria Cougars, Montreal Maroons, Toronto St. Pat's never ceased to exist, and they have a couple of Stanley Cups to their credit in the fantasy past (replacing teams like the Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers and Detroit Red Wings).

The Calgary Royals replace the Calgary Flames, since the latter was a relocation team from the Atlanta Flames, wich still exists in this DB.

The Kitchener-Waterloo Greenshirts really are a real team (surprisingly). It's a really cool name, but for the life of me I couldn't find their logo/jerseys. I'm working on it.

Mississauga Nationals (and their really cool logo, I'll upload it), Britsh Columbia Express (inspired on BCHL's Burnaby Express), Edmonton Eskimos (CFL rip off), Brampton Bears and Newfoundland Islanders (vintage NY Islanders lighthouse logo) are teams I truly "created".

Some cities/regions are somewhat overloaded with teams. British Columbia has 5 teams, plus another couple of minor league teams. Calgary and Edmonton have two teams each, as does Winnipeg, Quebec and Ottawa. All included, Ontario has 9 teams in the NHL alone! But really, it's the best I could do.

Oh, and it uses real players aswell, with a twist I'll save for later...

What do you think?

DISCLAIMER: This DB is in no way intented to be offensive to anyone, or a cry for "Hockey is Canada's game!" kind of thing. Really. It's purely fictional and history-based for gameplay only. Specially since the European/American leagues are just as strong as the NHL.

BLBarmada 08-29-2011 02:44 PM

I would like to give a try, does Halifax have a team ?

What age are the players from ?

nietzsche 08-29-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLBarmada (Post 36288423)
I would like to give a try, does Halifax have a team ?

What age are the players from ?

Real players, based on the original game (2006) DB. I will alter players' CA/PA and possibily create young players like Taylor Hall and Nail Yarkupov.

Also, players like Steven Stamkos, Victor Hedman, and others, who in the original DB are really random, will have more accurate attributes.

And yes, Halifax has a team, the Halifax Citadels!

And thank you for the interest.

Kassassian 08-31-2011 01:53 AM

Sounds pretty interesting. I'd like to try it out when its all done