HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   smaller guy - debating contact league... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=978855)

spizzle420 09-03-2011 10:13 PM

smaller guy - debating contact league...

I'm 23, 5'8" 160 lbs. Tree legs and thin upper frame.

I'm considering joining a school students contact league... everyone would be 18-25... basically at their peaks. from ontario towns so they know how to play.

I haven't played contact in almost a decade... but I'm interested in how it changes the game. I consider my hockey IQ above average and would know where to position myself..... but there's no doubt I'll get smoked at some point. I assume the average player is 5'9"-5'10" 175lbs

I'm not sure what advice I'm looking for but at what point is it time to go no contact... I've had my share of injuries like anyone else but I feel I'm still good to go. and is it worth it?

SERE 24 09-03-2011 10:24 PM

I honestly think hockey without contact is only ~80% as enjoyable and anyone who really wants to play hockey should play with contact when possible, but yeah, you'll get smoked a couple of times. The thing is, everyone does. Even if you were 6'0 190lb you'd get smoked eventually. Hitting isn't about size so much, especially when you're talking about lower level hockey... some guys just know how to hit. Two of my buddies who are string beans are also really great hitters, and some of the bigger guys I know get rocked a lot. Just keep your head up, accept that you will get lit up every now and then, and enjoy playing the most authentic hockey available to you.

vapor11 09-03-2011 11:15 PM

I haven't played full body contact since I played midget in 03-04..I just play no contact rec-hockey after a few years off besides playing at the outdoor rinks..but I do not think playing full contact will bring much more enjoyment to playing the game for you(don't get me wrong it is fun to watch).. teens in there early 20s are alot stronger then what I was playing with and they have most likely grown up playing full contact.. long story short I do not think I would be taking the risk unless I was being paid for it now days... I like dangling without having to worry about being hip checked

But if you are going to play..keep your head up be aware of your surroundings at all times and watch them corners

Guffaw 09-04-2011 06:53 AM

The way I look at it is after that ~18-22 yr. old age group your likely through high school, trade school, and college which means you should have a job, bills, responsibilities. It gets harder to justify playing contact hockey, getting hurt, and not being able to work once you are in the real world.

I played full contact in college and now play no-check mens league. I enjoy them both the same. I really have no desire to "light up" some guy with an open ice hit that has 2 young kids, a wife, a mortgage, etc.

SERE 24 09-04-2011 10:38 AM

I'm assuming the OP is in the age range everyone else is pegging for playing contact hockey, as he says he's considering joining a "Students Contact League".

BadHammy* 09-04-2011 12:15 PM

Yeah, avoid that unless you have health insurance with zero deductible and premium. There are too many guys who just want to smoke fools from behind.

The Lollipop King 09-04-2011 12:27 PM

Just keep your head up and keep your feet moving.

Jarick 09-04-2011 01:53 PM

The average guy's probably bigger than that...most of the time they're closer to 6' tall. Won't be as ripped because they're not getting paid. If you have insurance and feel comfortable do it, you only live once.

arne0107 09-04-2011 03:19 PM

I guess my only advice is study the common gameplay and style your league tends to go towards... I think it's something worth reconning if you can. Are most of the guys a bunch of bobby big wheels pretending they're vicariously living the show with dangles and wide open gameplay or are they small community beer leaguers who love to dump and chase then grind and chirp? Either way, the best advice I could give you is show up in shape and be prepared for it.