HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Set lines? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=978957)

Maximum Cheddar 09-04-2011 10:18 AM

Set lines?

Hey guys, does your team have set lines at the beginning of the game or do you just have the next guy go out. Also if your team does have set lines do you have 1st, 2nd and 3rd etc. or do you try to keep all the lines balanced. Thanks in advance.

Maximum Cheddar 09-04-2011 12:03 PM

Anyone?

mbeam 09-04-2011 01:13 PM

My teams have always done, or at least tried to have, set lines. It's not always easy to do as not everyone makes every single game, but for the most part players stick together. We don't do the whole 1st, 2nd, 3rd line thing, but we usually have one line that produces most of the points, and then 2 more fairly even lines that can chip in every now and then. We usually just role lines evenly but sometimes in close games (rarely, more often ONLY in playoffs) we get the 1st line out on the PP, or stack a unit or two. The thing is, it's usually the 1st line drawing the penalties, so they rarely see PP time during the regular season.

Maximum Cheddar 09-04-2011 01:37 PM

Thank you, very helpful info.

Jarick 09-04-2011 01:55 PM

We always try and run three set lines depending on who shows up. Easier for changes and to manage ice time that way. We'll play with 4-7 D to keep those lines up front consistent if guys don't show up.

Our assistant makes the lines based on who likes to play (or will tolerate playing) with whoever else. PP and PK lines are too complicated and tend to make players upset. Stick with 3 lines and on the PK just send guys out two at a time until you can get the lines straightened back out. PP roll with your lines like normal.

For the most part we like two guys per line who have chemistry. Ideally all three lines would be able to score. Definitely don't want one awesome line, one mediocre line, and one struggling line. There's only one puck so stacking lines 5v5 doesn't work as much anyway.

Placebo Effect 09-04-2011 02:15 PM

For our team it depends on how many people show. We'll try to have set lines but if there is an odd number of players we'll rotate wingers, rotate centers and defense get paired as best as possible.

Guffaw 09-04-2011 02:39 PM

We try and set lines on a game by game basis for the same reason everyone else cited. Mens league games at 10:00-10:30 pm on a week night and funny how guys don't show up. We only had 4 forwards two of the last three games so it's kinda hard to have lines with that turnout.

During games you have penalties and guys that want to stay out there for 3 min. vs. their line mates changing after 1min. so it becomes almost laughable at times to keep lines together. I prefer it though. I score a lot more goals when I play with the same guys.

Pickup hockey is just first man off, next man goes and plays whatever position the player he came on for was playing. Except if you get a couple dks that wanna stack a line so they can score goals and take 5 min, shifts all night.

KareyPrice 09-06-2011 11:42 PM

All the compitive teams ive been on have had set lines and yes there is a 1st 2nd 3rd line depending on the skill level usually im on the 1st or 2nd as I am a more offensive player

Trojan35 09-07-2011 03:35 PM

Yes, set lines for our beginner beer league games.

We've found that it's not about "balance" but about skating speed. Each line has 3 guys that all skate about the same speed. This is what works best for us. What didn't work for us was trying to balance things by putting 1 slow, 1 medium, 1 fast skater on each line. We found that really killed our scoring.

When players are all the same speed everyone seems to be in better position on the breakout, transition, rushes, and forecheck than if they're all different speeds.

Jarick 09-07-2011 03:58 PM

That's a good plan and I'd like to see our team do that more. A friend I've played with for five years always puts himself on the third line with slower players and never gets points so I'm going to force him to play with me and another scorer and try and get him up to PPG.

1Knee1T 09-07-2011 04:18 PM

We try to roll lines and pairings but things get messy when people miss a game. We also try to balance the lines and keep chemistry together.

Luckily I'm the plug with the most chemistry with our best player, so my numbers spike up when he's around. :laugh:

Devil Dancer 09-07-2011 04:27 PM

Theoretically we roll lines, but it depends on who shows up and whether we have a number of forwards that is divisible by 3. Typically we end up with 3 centers and 2 wing pairs or 2 centers and 3 wing pairs. We try to keep the wings together at a minimum.

As for pairing philosophy, I haven't found one that works consistently yet. If people score together, keep them together for a while. If not, switch it up.

Scientific, I know.

nullterm 09-07-2011 04:30 PM

Set lines are preferred, ideally people you play with usually so you can learn each other's habits.

I find it's more important on defence, having a regular d-partner who you can learn their tendencies can make a big difference.

Guffaw 09-08-2011 12:35 AM

Good point on matching speed of lines. I'm not a particularly good player(yet), but I do have speed and one thing I find when I play with slower players is that if I'm the puck carrier I'm all alone trying to beat 2 defenseman on the rush with no help in site. If I'm not the puck carrier I'm usually skating by the guy that is and then I have to straddle the blue line way too long. It just doesn't seem to work very well when there's a big speed difference on the same line.

shello 09-11-2011 02:59 PM

We did last year. Same beginning lines for every game but eventually during the games they get mixed up because of one person double shifting.

BLBarmada 09-11-2011 03:04 PM

We had lines but no 1st, 2nd or 3rd. No PK, No PP which sucks cause I would of been on both units.