HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Around the NHL (Regular Season) I (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=980503)

Clock 09-07-2011 12:07 PM

Around the NHL (Regular Season) I

Time to get one of these kicked off again.

Listening to Crosby's conference right now... sounds like he's still quite far away, though he finds it likely he'll make it back to play (at some point) in the upcoming season. I wonder if we'll ever see a 100% Crosby again.

gallagt01 09-07-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clock (Post 36499997)
Time to get one of these kicked off again.

Listening to Crosby's conference right now... sounds like he's still quite far away, though he finds it likely he'll make it back to play (at some point) in the upcoming season. I wonder if we'll ever see a 100% Crosby again.

It'd be awful for the league if we didn't. Crosby, despite popular opinion, is a quality individual and a great person for marketing (in addition to being a fantastic player). Having a situation when a player you've put so much marketing focus on is unable to play at full health any longer would be terrible.

drinking bleach irl 09-07-2011 12:32 PM

I was hoping he'd troll the crowd and drool a little.

Clock 09-07-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looooooodman (Post 36500201)
It'd be awful for the league if we didn't. Crosby, despite popular opinion, is a quality individual and a great person for marketing (in addition to being a fantastic player). Having a situation when a player you've put so much marketing focus on is unable to play at full health any longer would be terrible.

Agreed. He's good for the league, and he's an amazing player to watch.

jBuds 09-07-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clock (Post 36503921)

Agreed and echoed. Wouldn't like him missing the start of the season at all, and it's unfortunate that that looks likely.

New Sabres Captain 09-07-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clock (Post 36503921)

This. He's not my favorite player of all time, but he is still damn talented and you don't have to like him to appreciate how good he is as a player and for the league.

I only hope he doesn't comeback too soon and then suffer a setback (i.e. Marc Savard). If he needs to sit out a whole year to get back, then he should

Rob Paxon 09-07-2011 03:40 PM

A guy like Crosby in the league makes all the teams in his division and conference better as well. Obviously the affect on marketing and league visibility is huge, but my chief concern is the quality of hockey and losing players like Crosby is extremely detrimental. Hopefully they're willing to wait half the season if need be: they should still be well into the playoff hunt without him.

Mike McDermott 09-07-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Paxon (Post 36506699)
A guy like Crosby in the league makes all the teams in his division and conference better as well. Obviously the affect on marketing and league visibility is huge, but my chief concern is the quality of hockey and losing players like Crosby is extremely detrimental. Hopefully they're willing to wait half the season if need be: they should still be well into the playoff hunt without him.

This and can you imagine the emotional boost it'll be for the team when he does come back?

If he comes back say 40 games in and they are playing over .500 hockey I could easily see them tearing off 7 or 8 wins in a row just off the rush he'd give them.

Stop Winnin 09-07-2011 07:17 PM

If the NHL could go on without Crosby I wouldn't mind if he retired. :D

gallagt01 09-07-2011 11:34 PM

What's everyone think of the new Jets jerseys? I like them, personally. Very clean. However, they are slightly generic looking. Could have used more red in the color scheme.

jBuds 09-07-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looooooodman (Post 36518137)
What's everyone think of the new Jets jerseys? I like them, personally. Very clean. However, they are slightly generic looking. Could have used more red in the color scheme.

They're okay - part of me feels like it looks like a target. The wordmarked logo is better overall, and the logo is obviously a big part of the jersey. They're not bad, they're simple. It's okay.

Mergus merganser 09-08-2011 06:49 AM

I really hate the fact people assume someone doesn't like a certain player because they don't play for "their team".

I just flat out don't like Crosby as a player. There are so many things to hate about his game. Obviously he is the best player in the NHL right now and I'm not arguing that, I just won't lose any sleep while he continues to miss time.

I'd rather watch AO any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Back on topic - it doesn't sound to me like he will be back any time soon. Sounds like some of the Tin man articles/pressers.

Corto 09-08-2011 07:43 AM

Crosby annoys the hell out of me.

I don't like his demeanor, I don't like his teeth, I don't like his fake smile, I don't like his whining, I don't like his diving, I don't like his robotic responses to the press, I don't like his hair, I don't like his fat lips, etc etc.

I want him to be 2nd best to the like of Ovechkin, Datsyuk, etc.

But I want him to be 2nd best healthy.
I don't want him injured / damaged etc.

If you know what I mean...

Chainshot 09-08-2011 11:50 AM

Caley's list of the remaining unsigned RFA's:

Quote:

Drew Doughty
Zach Bogosian
Luke Schenn
Kyle Turris
Josh Bailey
Brad Marchand
Shawn Matthias
Kyle Cumiskey
Victor Oreskovich
Dennis McCauley
Some quality names still out there. And some... not.

gallagt01 09-08-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 36526297)
Caley's list of the remaining unsigned RFA's:

Some quality names still out there. And some... not.

If we werent so cap strapped I would love for Darcy to try and land Schenn. A quality player and teammate. Plus it would instill a new fire to the sabres/leafs rivalry.

Sabretip 09-09-2011 12:59 AM

Add another name to the recently-retired:

Quote:

Forward Cory Stillman, one of the few NHL players to win consecutive Stanley Cups with different teams, reportedly will announce his retirement Thursday at a news conference in Florida.

The Peterborough (Ontario) Examiner also reports that Stillman will be introduced as a member of the Panthers' player development staff. He will monitor and work with Florida's junior and minor-league prospects.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587934

Chainshot 09-12-2011 02:20 PM

The Devils may be heading toward bankruptcy proceedings.

Zip15 09-12-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 36636955)

How long till the trade board blows up with Parise proposals? In all seriousness, that sucks for the Devs. I like their fanbase, and wish they could attract larger crowds to games against teams other than NYR.

Chainshot 09-12-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 36637875)
How long till the trade board blows up with Parise proposals? In all seriousness, that sucks for the Devs. I like their fanbase, and wish they could attract larger crowds to games against teams other than NYR.

I'm sure it will add fuel to that fire. Or any other high-value Devil roster player (Kovie, Zajac) either.

New Sabres Captain 09-14-2011 01:50 PM

Marchand signs, 2 years, 5M total (2.5 cap hit), structured 2M/3M over the two years.

So...Ennis at 3 years, 2.75 per? This is good news for the Sabres methinks.

Chainshot 09-14-2011 02:09 PM

Somewhat Sabre related: Joey Hishon still not cleared to play after getting clobbered by McNabb in the Memorial Cup.

Quote:

Hishon sidelined.

Avs rookie and 2010 first-round pick Joey Hishon did not take part in camp Tuesday. Hishon, drafted 17th, is suffering from concussion symptoms suffered during the playoffs with Owen Sound of the OHL. The Avs said Hishon has not been cleared by the team's medical staff.

jBuds 09-14-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 36636955)

Dallas will incur a similar fate, according to TSN - though theirs is more precautionary than necessary. Go figure.

Clock 09-15-2011 08:22 PM

Doughty's still in Canada. Training Camp starts tomorrow.

This could get interesting.

ct2111 09-16-2011 05:28 AM

Luke Schenn re-signs. 5yrs, $3.5m caphit.

Chainshot 09-16-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgn (Post 36744929)
Luke Schenn re-signs. 5yrs, $3.5m caphit.

Very tidy deal for the Leafs.