HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   LW Morgan Klimchuk - Regina Pats, WHL (2013, 28th overall, Calgary) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=981233)

stamkosisboss 09-08-2011 09:26 PM

LW Morgan Klimchuk - Regina Pats, WHL (2013, 28th overall, Calgary)
 
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=62209
I was reading my THN draft magazine, and i saw the preveiw for the two years away draft or the MacKinnon draft. His stats are pretty impressive so what do you calls think of this kid?

R S 09-08-2011 09:40 PM

Haven't seen him yet, but will get a half dozen live viewings of him this season along with numerous online viewings. I am also excited to see what he can do.

For those who don't know, he was chosen 5th overall in the WHL's 2010 bantam draft.

DirkGraham 09-24-2011 03:37 PM

first game as a Pat, first goal. Many, many more to come!!!!

R S 09-24-2011 04:31 PM

Won't get to see him live until Oct 26th. Will definitely see him online before that though.

scoutman1 09-24-2011 04:53 PM

excellent speed and skater (though he has a bit of a hunch when he skates), good hands handling the puck at high speed; very good shooter and good playmaker...he likes to take the puck wide on the rush and then cut to the middle.

R S 09-28-2011 11:40 PM

Watched him tonight. Wasn't overly noticeable for much of the game, but when he's on, he looks great.

Big time wheels.

Fired an absolute laser from the slot for the Pats to give them a 4-3 lead over Medicine Hat. Ended up as the game winner tonight.

Rocket.

stamkosisboss 09-29-2011 09:57 PM

Nice to hear he is fitting in pretty well. But I think he still has alot of work to do.

R S 10-27-2011 12:07 PM

Watched him again last night.

Wow, what a player. Was very strong in the first half of the game, not as noticeable in the second half.

Excellent skater, very smart, great offensive instincts, very good shot. He had very very good chemistry with 2012 eligible forward Dominik Volek.

Kid is definitely going to be in the running for a top 15 spot in the 2013 draft.

The WHL forward crop for 2013 is going to be DAMN fun to watch.

Pick Six 10-27-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 38548259)
Watched him again last night.

Wow, what a player. Was very strong in the first half of the game, not as noticeable in the second half.

Excellent skater, very smart, great offensive instincts, very good shot. He had very very good chemistry with 2012 eligible forward Dominik Volek.

Kid is definitely going to be in the running for a top 15 spot in the 2013 draft.

The WHL forward crop for 2013 is going to be DAMN fun to watch.

I think the overall group of players the WHL has for 2013 (forwards, defense and even goalies), will be the best they've had in a long time.

Oshie 02-27-2012 01:02 AM

Here is an interview with Klimchuk that I found.

http://reindlhockey.wordpress.com/20...huk-interview/

R S 11-16-2012 04:48 PM

Bumped with this:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/20...r-in-2013.html

Quote:

He stormed out of the gate in his WHL career with a fantastic rookie year in 2011-12, posting 18 goals and 36 points for Regina. Coming into this season I called him a kid who will one day be a point-per-game player and someone to watch as a potential late-first round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.

Well, he's ahead of schedule with those predictions this season as Klimchuk leads the Pats in goals with 11 and is second in points with 21 in only 22 games. As expected, NHL teams are definitely taking notice of his offensive contributions. But to me, it's the other parts of his game that set him apart and make him an NHL prospect to keep your eyes on.

The first thing about his game you will notice is his blazing speed. He's extremely quick, with great top end speed and the ability to change directions on a dime. His mobility and shiftiness make him extremely hard to defend. Along with those abilities come an aggressive mindset. He's definitely a shoot-first player, but he doesn't waste his shots. He picks his spots, is able to find seams in the defence and make his chances count.

HighLifeMan 11-16-2012 11:54 PM

What a standout. The kid looks absolutely phenomenal tonight against the Giants.

Very intriguing prospect to say the least. His skating + shooting ability is a lethal combination.

R S 11-17-2012 12:48 AM

Scored the late-tying goal to get it to OT as well. Safe to say I wrote my piece at the right time.

S E P H 11-17-2012 01:09 AM

He was absolutely amazing tonight. I love that he is able to control the puck at such high speeds.

rt 11-17-2012 03:04 AM

Excellent puck control. Very impressive. As a Coyotes fan, I'm glad our head scout was in the building checking up on Kale Kessy. I'm sure he could help but notice the other most impressive player. :)

Circulartheory 11-17-2012 04:01 AM

I guess I'm different from you all and too bad this will be my own viewing of Klimchuk:

To me, he didn't have GREAT speed, or was a GREAT puckhandler, or elusive. He was just above-average in all those departments IMO

What he WAS great was his edgework, his acceleration, and his hockey sense. All three of these things allows him to sneak into goal-scoring areas in the offensive zone. His feet keeps moving and he just exploits defenseman that aren't paying their full attention on Klimchuk.

This makes him a dangerous player if paired with a good playmaker.

R S 11-17-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danccchan (Post 55828725)
I guess I'm different from you all and too bad this will be my own viewing of Klimchuk:

To me, he didn't have GREAT speed, or was a GREAT puckhandler, or elusive. He was just above-average in all those departments IMO

What he WAS great was his edgework, his acceleration, and his hockey sense. All three of these things allows him to sneak into goal-scoring areas in the offensive zone. His feet keeps moving and he just exploits defenseman that aren't paying their full attention on Klimchuk.

This makes him a dangerous player if paired with a good playmaker.

I DVR'd the game and have only the seen the 1st period and the final play where the Pats tied it up, but I would agree that he didn't really shine through a ton in the opening 20 minutes like I've seen from him in the past.

His skating is usually super dynamic and separates him from everyone on the ice.

Circulartheory 11-17-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 55833111)
I DVR'd the game and have only the seen the 1st period and the final play where the Pats tied it up, but I would agree that he didn't really shine through a ton in the opening 20 minutes like I've seen from him in the past.

His skating is usually super dynamic and separates him from everyone on the ice.

Yeah, this is why you need more than just one viewing to really get a sense of a player...

But yeah, during the game, he wasn't blowing past people or dodging them, but he was a very sneaky player because he can turn on his top speed very quickly and change to any direction on his edges while still maintaining a good scoring posture, allowing him to immediate sneak into open areas and shoot.

Personally, from that one view, he looked like a potential top 20 pick this year, even without seeing his top speed or elusiveness.

GetThePuckOut 11-17-2012 01:55 PM

His skating definitely wasn't the most impressive part of his game last night. He was just extremely sharp all over the ice, especially when he had the puck on his stick. Very smart and very sharp instincts. IMO the sky is the limit with that type of the player because those are the traits that overcome physical limitations, ala Claude Giroux. Anyway, very impressive game and I look forward to following him from this point on.

Circulartheory 11-17-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightBlazer (Post 55834263)
His skating definitely wasn't the most impressive part of his game last night. He was just extremely sharp all over the ice, especially when he had the puck on his stick. Very smart and very sharp instincts. IMO the sky is the limit with that type of the player because those are the traits that overcome physical limitations, ala Claude Giroux. Anyway, very impressive game and I look forward to following him from this point on.

I agree, but imagine, if what others say is true, about him actually being extremely fast...wow...

Add that to what we saw last night, I have a hard time thinking he will just be a late 1st/early 2nd.

Daneurism 12-01-2012 09:33 PM

having himself quite the game

2+3, just halfway through the game

HighLifeMan 12-01-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danccchan (Post 55834625)
I agree, but imagine, if what others say is true, about him actually being extremely fast...wow...

Add that to what we saw last night, I have a hard time thinking he will just be a late 1st/early 2nd.

I absolutely agree. I would have no problem taking him around 15th as it stands now.

R S 04-22-2013 05:24 PM

Bumped with the following draft profile video.

http://www.whl.ca/video/index/id/8b1...d06fcfcbb6d58b

bsmith14 04-22-2013 06:24 PM

He has got similar stats to Eberle at the same age. How do they compare? (in their draft year)

TheJuxtaposer 04-22-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith14 (Post 64461061)
He has got similar stats to Eberle at the same age. How do they compare? (in their draft year)

Eberle's pre-draft year was significantly better than Klimchuk's draft season (stats-wise). Their draft year production is comparable.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.