HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Western Europe (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Switzerland: Back in Action! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=983043)

totozenerd 09-12-2011 01:18 PM

Back in Action!

So here we go!
The NLA/B season starts again!
This thread is for anyone who wants to comment games, goals or anything related to the NLA.
Hopp Schwiiz!

torero 10-01-2011 04:38 PM

tonight Bern lost ... i had to find a subject to feed happiness.

top scorers in NLA use to be only foreigners some years ago (20 ... ) as time goes, more and more swiss are top scorers ... which i would translate into better quality swiss players ... more swiss players in key positions ... + more swiss players abroad ... which i see as a spill over ... unhappy guys fighting for higher salaries than available in NLA. Which means that they are realistic and can make it.
it also argues for depth on our national team.

hop Schwiz

stv11 10-03-2011 02:49 AM

You also have to take into account the fact that other leagues have evolved since the 90's. While 15 years ago, NLA teams could hope to sign some of the bests non-NHL players, nowadays they almost all head to Russia. Then you have that TV contract the Eliteserien signed some years ago which makes it harder to sign Swedish and Finnish players, and you get today's situation where NLA teams mostly find their imports in the AHL.

cska78 10-03-2011 04:39 PM

Zug beats the rangers 8:4, pretty sound, inspite of a friendly.

torero 10-03-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stv11 (Post 37394057)
You also have to take into account the fact that other leagues have evolved since the 90's. While 15 years ago, NLA teams could hope to sign some of the bests non-NHL players, nowadays they almost all head to Russia. Then you have that TV contract the Eliteserien signed some years ago which makes it harder to sign Swedish and Finnish players, and you get today's situation where NLA teams mostly find their imports in the AHL.

Russia hires ... Russians are hired ... same for the slovaks and all other players belonging to the ex soviet block. I feel that the popularity of hockey is rising here ... more than in other places. Hence the money behind is also rising. We have lower taxes. This difference has also been rising. Ex NHL players enjoy Switzerland as a cosy country with a cosy hockey and a cosy time schedule.
Therefore I am not convinced about your first argument. with all due respect.

I do not know this TV contract that results into difficulties in hiring Finnish/Swedish players.
Thank you for this info.

Would you say that fundamentally little has change or do you still grant something i tried to point out ?
Thank

yunost 10-03-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torero (Post 37416665)
Russia hires ... Russians are hired ... same for the slovaks and all other players belonging to the ex soviet block. I feel that the popularity of hockey is rising here ... more than in other places. Hence the money behind is also rising. We have lower taxes. This difference has also been rising. Ex NHL players enjoy Switzerland as a cosy country with a cosy hockey and a cosy time schedule.

I do not know this TV contract that results into difficulties in hiring Finnish/Swedish players.
Thank you for this info.

Would you say that fundamentally little has change or do you still grant something i tried to point out ?
Thank

Im not sure that is the best mentality to have for a competitive league.

Although I do agree with you that Swiss hockey is on the rise. I like NLA the most after the NHL and KHL. And its the NLA teams that seem to be most successful against the NHL nowadays. ZSC last year, Zug this year etc...

I think it was a good choice for Swiss teams not to participate in that European Tournament and instead play in their own established tournaments with KHL teams.

The only problem I have is that I lack to see a long term plan or goal. The teams seem to be status quo and there seems to be some apathy towards improvement. Swiss seem to just be enjoying what they have. Which is not a bad thing, but when you see leagues and teams with aggressive campaigns to improvement and expansion (NHL, KHL, European leagues) one could question what the Swiss are doing

stv11 10-04-2011 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torero (Post 37416665)

Thank you for this info.

Thank

What I mean is that it's now unrealistic for NLA teams to go after the best non-NHL players. Compare the current situation to the late 90's, and now you see all Russians staying home, Swedes either going to the KHL or staying home (look at the number of Swedish players in the NLA during the last seasons), most of the best Czech going to the KHL... Today, there is almost no chance to see a Mattias Weinhandl or a Jarkko Immonen sign for a Swiss team, while 10 years ago it wouldn't have been unrealistic. Even when a gem is found, he will often get an offer from the KHL (see Patrick Thoresen or Juraj Kolnik).

While ten years ago, imports in the NLA where seen as either point per game forwards, number one all around defensemen who can both run the power play and protect a late lead, or goalie capable of stealing games his team had no business winning, and team managers were harshly criticized for failing to find such players. Now you see teams using their import spots the sign complementary players like J-P Vigier or Rob Niedermayer. This makes it more likely for Swiss players to top the scoring list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yunost (Post 37423867)
Im not sure that is the best mentality to have for a competitive league.

It's not, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we didn't think this play a role in which place a player is going to. Especially guys leaving North America because their NHL days are over and they don't want to be moved from one team to another anymore.

Quote:

I think it was a good choice for Swiss teams not to participate in that European Tournament and instead play in their own established tournaments with KHL teams.

Those one week tournament can provide some enjoyable hockey, but they don't mean anything as far as results are concerned. Why can't hockey go for a real Champions' league like every other sports?

Quote:

The only problem I have is that I lack to see a long term plan or goal. The teams seem to be status quo and there seems to be some apathy towards improvement. Swiss seem to just be enjoying what they have. Which is not a bad thing, but when you see leagues and teams with aggressive campaigns to improvement and expansion (NHL, KHL, European leagues) one could question what the Swiss are doing

Well, what should they do? Being unable to financially compete with the NHL and KHL, there is just no way to be as aggressive as those leagues. Apart from them, the only "aggressive" behavior in a European league I can think of is when top Eliteserien teams threatened to break away to manage TV money themselves. The Swiss TV market being largely dominated by public channels, this is not an option for NLA teams. Although games are now broadcasted on private TV, those channels have nowhere near the purchasing power of their counterparts from bigger countries.

yunost 10-04-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stv11 (Post 37433925)
Those one week tournament can provide some enjoyable hockey, but they don't mean anything as far as results are concerned. Why can't hockey go for a real Champions' league like every other sports?

Well, what should they do? Being unable to financially compete with the NHL and KHL, there is just no way to be as aggressive as those leagues. Apart from them, the only "aggressive" behavior in a European league I can think of is when top Eliteserien teams threatened to break away to manage TV money themselves. The Swiss TV market being largely dominated by public channels, this is not an option for NLA teams. Although games are now broadcasted on private TV, those channels have nowhere near the purchasing power of their counterparts from bigger countries.

1) I would support a Champions League

2)

There is LOTS the NLA could do. Dont forget, SC Bern has the best non-NHL attencance/popularity, beating many NHL teams even. NLA boasts the best attendance in Europe, etc...

I just think that instead of being passive, they should become active, at least not less active than SM-Liiga and SEL. Maybe they should popularize their hockey in neighboring countries and get some TV contracts there? Improve the site, whenever im on I cant get any info.... It seems to me that NLA is very local and only those involved know about it.

Here in Canada for example, im sure there would be interest for some Swiss hockey

torero 10-05-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yunost (Post 37440297)
1) I would support a Champions League

2)

There is LOTS the NLA could do. Dont forget, SC Bern has the best non-NHL attencance/popularity, beating many NHL teams even. NLA boasts the best attendance in Europe, etc...

I just think that instead of being passive, they should become active, at least not less active than SM-Liiga and SEL. Maybe they should popularize their hockey in neighboring countries and get some TV contracts there? Improve the site, whenever im on I cant get any info.... It seems to me that NLA is very local and only those involved know about it.

Here in Canada for example, im sure there would be interest for some Swiss hockey

You could actually be right.

In fact Switzerland has a tendency for inferiority complex. Each time i go abroad, i am surprised about the good image Switzerland has. While at home we are very good at auto-bashing our country.

This complex translates presently in the belief that our hockey is uninteresting. Which it certainly was some years ago but we have to agree that the level has increased and that it is more and more passionating. The last figures showed that it is catching up on Soccer. I believe that it could be attractive because the style that is played here is very pleasant to watch.

You may be right, and possibly their would be a market for Swiss hockey in Scandinavia or Canada or even Russia.
My wife is Russian, here father is a pensioneer who watches ALL GOOD hockey games : KHL, some Vishaya (2nd Russian league), a bit of NHL (what they have) ... a real connaisseur !!
He actually was telling me that after having seen Switzerland play in the olympic games and in WC's, he wouldn't mind seeing some Swiss hockey from time to time finding it spectacular and veeery pleasant to watch.
Also many HF hockey fans express a lot of positivisme for Swiss hockey ... liking us not only because we are the (should i say eternal ! ... ) underdogs but also because it a fast atractive fun to watch game style.

Therefore i support your idea that Swiss hockey could export via some international sport channels for exemple to hockey loving countries.

For this you have to give some time for Swiss mentalities to adjust and understand that their could be a demand and that, as a spectacle it has good value.

++

I understand that you watch hockey ... good hockey (NHL, KHL ... ) and you enjoy NLA hockey !! you share with us that in your eyes, Swiss hockey has value as a spectacle. And you deem feasable to export it.

first thank you
and then you have positive attitudes ... a entrepreneurial mindset. keep cultivating it. ;)

+++

And for foreigners in Switzerland ... as stv11 says ... and me as well : Metropolit, Holden, Park ... most of them are family guys enjoying to be with their family in a quite country !! they almost never sleep outside ... they may arrive home at 2AM from time to time but not worse than that. Decent schools for kids and an international family experiment in a safe place. They also like the tax aspect which results into a higher real income. ... they have a real end of career attitude ! whetter we like it or not !
And if the guy is here, not because of this, then it is because he wouldn't be hired in KHL (KHL is still viewed as unsafe ... because of the country ... you do not go to Russia if you have a western cosiness habit and are touchy about the safety of your family !! you would prefer Switzerland. And on an after tax basis ... Switzerland pays more than Sweden or Finland.

torero 09-11-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by totozenerd (Post 36635275)
So here we go!
The NLA/B season starts again!
This thread is for anyone who wants to comment games, goals or anything related to the NLA.
Hopp Schwiiz!

AYAY sir NLA

here we go again, in 3 days ... ! on the 14th ... the new season starts.

I am pro SCB ... yet they lost most of their preparation games.
maybe another year with no cup !

ZSC seems scary !

Does someone has forecasts about who will make it to the playoffs and beyond ?

TheNeutrality 09-11-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torero (Post 54247081)
AYAY sir NLA

here we go again, in 3 days ... ! on the 14th ... the new season starts.

I am pro SCB ... yet they lost most of their preparation games.
maybe another year with no cup !

ZSC seems scary !

Does someone has forecasts about who will make it to the playoffs and beyond ?

I'll be rooting for my beloved HCD, as I did for the last 19 years :laugh:

Well, I only know about the obvious one of Zaugg on 20min. Too bad, I really can't take this man seriously, although his predictions aren't too bad so far (LOL @ Nolan Schaefer being one of the best goalies in the league when he's on his game).

Ambri, Geneve and Rapperswil (Part 1) (Google Translate)
Langnau, Biel and Kloten (Part 2) (Google Translate)

And yes, the Lions look scary this season. Zug is not too shabby after the addition of Omark which makes up for the loss of Brunner, too. And Bern is always a threat.
I'm not overly excited about our team (unless there is a lockout, then it will be fun :naughty:), so I'm not expecting too much. All my hopes lie on Genoni, Sykora and, of course, on Del Curto.

stv11 09-12-2012 03:08 AM

Few interesting moves this summer, I wouldn't be surprised if the league standing ends up being similar to last season's.

Bern and Davos have pretty much the same team, ZSC added Wick but need more consistency than last season, Zug replaced Brunner with Omark, Lugano lost Romy but should be better on defense with one full year of Huras, Fribourg replaced a questionable import defenseman with an other and made a strange goalie change, Kloten lost Wick but considering the troubles they went through, it could have been much worst, Biel will rely on Berra to match last season's results...

Some interesting players such as Danielsson, Omark or Brulé have joined the league though.

duga 09-17-2012 11:25 AM

Hasn't Michael Moore once showed, that you can't get locked out in Canada... as they never lock there doors overthere...

it's definitely harder to make predictions with a lockout... before I'd spent all my money on either ZSC (what a offensive Line-up) or HCD.... the weaker teams gotten stronger but if they can't afford some cherries on the cake (lock-outs), they could suffer again.

some "bold" predictions:

Walker will make the NT, independent of who's available.

Joggi got a good chance to make the NT again... as a defender!- If the Lock-out lasts all season, it will be tough though. he's closest to Forster, who's missed heavily in NT. tough, big, mean and a super heavy slapper....

Cunti will make the selection of M.Plüss for NT an option and not a must anymore....

B. Conz will give more arguments why he wasn't drafted...

Manzato will show, that when playing for a good team like Lugano (with a suspicious recent past when it comes to D-work though), he won't be far off guys like Stephan, Berra or Genoni....at all

Y. Steinmann will finally grow into the role of a quality 2-way-center, and will look closest to v. Arx of all swiss centermen... (off course not the same offensive influence)

I expect the 92/89-born forwards to grow even more into their role of Back-boning swiss attack in the NLA...

89: Hasani, Schlagenhauf or Schommer should take the next step, and make this generation even more deep...

92: Hofmann is the type of player Del Curto loves most: elite skating and a big heart (like an physicaly underdevelopped Ambühl), and good hands... he'll get much better definitely...
I expect Lammer, Muller or Schneuwly to gain a fix rosterspot for the future in NLA, and guys like Vermin or Walser getting close to NT...

Löffel, Geering or Grossmann will push hard for a roster spot in NT....

and some hopes:

That K. Lötscher can get close to what he was before the accident. (and hopefully on a shorter road than a guy like D. Albrecht had to take)

That J. Sprunger will be able to play hockey for many more years. (and If it means he has to refuse future NT-nominations... so be it!)

That J. Gailland can cure all hes physical problems with his "temporary" retirement, and come back healthy afterwards, and can show on NLA-Niveau that he's one of the smartest swiss Centermen (not unlike Bykov who got the same age)....

That P. Guggisberg... well, .... just gets another chance to play hockey for more than just a few games.... what an unlucky streak he had over the last years!

It's hockey time again!
enjoy yourselves!

MB94 09-17-2012 12:35 PM

^^ You think Conz won't do well?

stv11 09-18-2012 03:08 AM

I like your predictions. I think most of them are more realistic than bold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duga (Post 54396489)
Walker will make the NT, independent of who's available.

I've always liked this player. He was one of the few bright spots in Ambì last season, and I can definitely see McSorley get something out of him.

Quote:

Joggi got a good chance to make the NT again... as a defender!- If the Lock-out lasts all season, it will be tough though. he's closest to Forster, who's missed heavily in NT. tough, big, mean and a super heavy slapper....

Not sure about that one. Joggi never fullfilled his potential and he seems pretty far from the national team. And I don't agree about your opinion on Forster, so many penalties and turnovers...

Quote:

Cunti will make the selection of M.Plüss for NT an option and not a must anymore....

Cunti lacked experience last year, but now I expect him to be ready. That being said, it doesn't have to be at Plüss' expense, I can see both of them making the team. I guess it depends on Simpson's willingness to have Ambühl as a winger.

Quote:

B. Conz will give more arguments why he wasn't drafted...

I can't understand what Fribourg's management was thinking. How can a team aiming for the championship choose Conz over Huet? Even if Conz develops into a solid NLA starter during the length of his contract, Fribourg's window is pretty short with Heins, Jeannin, Rosa and Dubé all being key players well in their 30's.

Quote:

Manzato will show, that when playing for a good team like Lugano (with a suspicious recent past when it comes to D-work though), he won't be far off guys like Stephan, Berra or Genoni....at all

I expect a full year of Huras to do wonders for Lugano's defensive game (their first two games confirm this). Manzato wasn't so bad during the last few seasons considering the team he was playing for, you could definitely see the potential, and having a better team in front of him can make him look like a NT goalie.

Quote:

Y. Steinmann will finally grow into the role of a quality 2-way-center, and will look closest to v. Arx of all swiss centermen... (off course not the same offensive influence)

I've always like Steinmann, but I really can't see RvA potential in him (or in any other player). I wouldn't be surprised to see Simspon showing interest, though.

Quote:

I expect the 92/89-born forwards to grow even more into their role of Back-boning swiss attack in the NLA...

89: Hasani, Schlagenhauf or Schommer should take the next step, and make this generation even more deep...

92: Hofmann is the type of player Del Curto loves most: elite skating and a big heart (like an physicaly underdevelopped Ambühl), and good hands... he'll get much better definitely...
I expect Lammer, Muller or Schneuwly to gain a fix rosterspot for the future in NLA, and guys like Vermin or Walser getting close to NT...

Hasani is doing well completing his line, but I think he won't take the next step before he's put in a position to lead his line. Could happen in one or two season. Schlagenhauf I see more as a solid depth forward. I agree about your opinion on Hofmann, I'm sure Del Curto will do wonders with him. Vermin will get some opportunities with the NT, and I think Pascal Berger deserves a mention as well.

Quote:

Löffel, Geering or Grossmann will push hard for a roster spot in NT....

I wanted Grossmann to make the team last season. He should be even closer this year. Löffel has the skill, he just needs some experience, but it will mostly depends on which offensive minded defensemen are available. Geering will get a look, but it's probably too soon for him.

ElTailR 09-25-2012 03:23 PM

I'm really impressed by Geneve-Servette and especially by Stephan in this first 5 games. He always played well... But that well I don't remember it!

Hossa 09-26-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Hofmann is certainly proving you right so far. Great to see him playing with such confidence and taking a real step forward offensively.

duga 09-26-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB Stars (Post 54398055)
^^ You think Conz won't do well?

Well, his size and playing style leave a lot of open net, he's oftenly out of position, he's neither athletic nor quick enough to cover up.

His biggest strengh IMO is that his moves are so uncommon and unpredictable that he can force opponents to do moves that aren't automatized or common ... (not unlike the "Hasek problem")
and his mental toughness...though he lost quite a lot of it during last season... and therefore was showcasing a subpar level of play even for NLA standarts.

While I think he will recover mentally and finally will be a good goalkeeper in the NLA, hes weaknesses would be exposed heavily in a league like the NHL... and certainly he's not a better GK than Huet.

Nevertheless I'd be happy if he proved me wrong!

duga 09-26-2012 10:57 AM

First of all, thx for your detailed answer STV11

Quote:

Originally Posted by stv11 (Post 54417301)
I like your predictions. I think most of them are more realistic than bold.

That's why I put them into brackets... nevertheless they aren't sure-fire IMO

I've always liked this player. He was one of the few bright spots in Ambì last season, and I can definitely see McSorley get something out of him.

Totally agree, and when he's entering the zone with a bit of free space, winding up for a slapper he can beat any GK in the world, can't say that about many swiss players, especially forwards, (maybe von Arx, Monnet).

Not sure about that one. Joggi never fullfilled his potential and he seems pretty far from the national team. And I don't agree about your opinion on Forster, so many penalties and turnovers...

TBH, I haven't seen Joggi too many times last year, but what I've seen from him on D (Spengler Cup, a few NLA-Games) I was very surprised, he looked so natural. and when having him on NT you could always put him on a checking-line, or put him into the crease during a PP. But maybe somebody who watches HCD on a more regular base than me can say more about that case

Agree about the discipline problems of Forster, but beside that I go with AdC who last year called him the best swiss D beside Streit IIRC. I remember the young Forster, slow, no brain, no vision, hardly any hand skills, but always very self-confident, always playing a bit above his skill-level, which caused alot off brain-farts, but made him a lot better player over the years. I have seen him a lot while he played in Zurich. He was utterly dominant, walzing up the ice like I've never seen a swiss player do before (and haven't seen anybody do in NLA since...Wes Walz), hes skating, his hand-skills, his vision, all was tremendously improved. Combine that with his physical strengh and shooting power... and you get an unique mix with an incredible upside, that works on international Level as well. I'm pretty sure if he'd go overseas, he would make any NHL-Roster at once... maybe just to get thrown out again after a few months cause of the issues you mentioned above. Of course can't prove that, cause we won't see him anymore on NT or ever in the NHL

Cunti lacked experience last year, but now I expect him to be ready. That being said, it doesn't have to be at Plüss' expense, I can see both of them making the team. I guess it depends on Simpson's willingness to have Ambühl as a winger.

Agree... and I never liked Ambühl on C

I can't understand what Fribourg's management was thinking. How can a team aiming for the championship choose Conz over Huet? Even if Conz develops into a solid NLA starter during the length of his contract, Fribourg's window is pretty short with Heins, Jeannin, Rosa and Dubé all being key players well in their 30's.
Nothing to add

I expect a full year of Huras to do wonders for Lugano's defensive game (their first two games confirm this). Manzato wasn't so bad during the last few seasons considering the team he was playing for, you could definitely see the potential, and having a better team in front of him can make him look like a NT goalie.

My words

I've always like Steinmann, but I really can't see RvA potential in him (or in any other player). I wouldn't be surprised to see Simspon showing interest, though.

I don't think he'll ever develop the offensive smarts of von ARx, I fully agree with that,but with his very good working ethik, strong 2-way-play, short stick, good hands, hard shot, and comparable size he just looks quite similar in certain situations on the ice.

Hasani is doing well completing his line, but I think he won't take the next step before he's put in a position to lead his line. Could happen in one or two season. Schlagenhauf I see more as a solid depth forward. I agree about your opinion on Hofmann, I'm sure Del Curto will do wonders with him. Vermin will get some opportunities with the NT, and I think Pascal Berger deserves a mention as well.

Agree about Hasani, but longterm he could end up in NT IMO, Schlagenhauf, whose NLA-Career was close to be over before last season, has developped a lot over the last year, he'll may never be more than a depth forward as you said, but he gives an effort nowadays, that surprised my quite a lot. He got a hard shot, and is one of the best FO%-Men in NLA, I guess, but probably will always miss the vision and puckskills to get a spot on NT. Nevertheless for the depth in NLA it's very important that guys like him can cut the corner.

Hofmann was already pretty good 2 years ago for AMbri, and seeing him losing his confidence over the last season was said. Davos is definitely a better place to develop.

I wanted Grossmann to make the team last season. He should be even closer this year. Löffel has the skill, he just needs some experience, but it will mostly depends on which offensive minded defensemen are available. Geering will get a look, but it's probably too soon for him.
Agree once again!

stv11 09-27-2012 02:31 AM

Seems like you were right about Hofmann, Geering and Manzato so far.

Regarding Forster, I still remember the player he was before moving to ZSC. I wouldn't have touched him with a ten foot pole back then. He's better now, but in my opinion 2007-08 is the only season he was as good his reputation would suggest.

He's still top three in my "can't understand the hype" ranking of Swiss players (Aebischer and Bezina completing the top three). :D

kcunac 10-28-2012 07:05 AM

Was at the Servette Davos game last. Servette are playing well as a team and won 5-4 in overtime. Couture scored on an amazing between his legs goal. Rick Nash was ridiculous. Half the game in the penalty box. Every time he touched the puck he tried to deke through the entire Servette with mad dangles. Still, he almost scored in overtime to win the game.

MB94 10-30-2012 10:30 PM

Appetently Tobias Stephan got into a fight last night in a 4-3 win. Is there a video of the fight anywhere?? Anyone??

swisdan 10-31-2012 01:40 AM

http://www.rts.ch/video/sport/sport-...-servette.html

You can see few second about this fight in this video. But the best highlight is the end of the game...

MB94 10-31-2012 07:07 AM

damn .. it doesn't allow me to watch it but i found this one

http://www.bluewin.ch/fr/index.php/1.../sport/hockey/

ElTailR 10-31-2012 11:40 AM

http://youtu.be/W4Ee9yghnRI

There it is