HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The blatant snubbing of Curt Keilback (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=983539)

Jetsfan79 09-13-2011 01:46 PM

The blatant snubbing of Curt Keilback

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...129707588.html

I was shocked and miffed to find out today that Curt Keilback was not even interviewed for the PBP position at 1290. I understand he still may not have been chosen, but this not the way to treat the guy who was the quintessential voice of the jets, has a broadcast booth named after him, is a fan favorite and is widely respected from others in his field across the continent.

1290 confirms that the hiring process was primarily done from Toronto and Bell and not at local level which is ridiculous (but not surprising).

And before anyone tells me fans wanting Curt back is going backwards for the team and is all nostalgia driven, think again. The man is an excellent announcer. Even if you throw all of his Jets history out the window and judge him on his ability today on talent alone , he is still miles ahead of Munz. His vocal presence is just amazing and generates excitement. I cannot comprehend why he wasn't even interviewed especially since he has been a semi-regular contributer to 1290 in the past.

What I'm about to say may be controversial, but I truly believe this was all due to unadulterated favoritism and corporate arrongance from Toronto trying to show it's muscle in a"small market". I hope it's not sign of things to come for 1290 sports radio. I don't want to feel that I'm getting a toronto perspective of everything. Yes Munz has local ties but it was still a decision heavily influenced from Toronto and not at 1290.

In the end, I understand the idea of going in a new direction and having a fresh start. I would of been fine (albeit disapointed) if Curt was interviewed and didn't get the job. The point is he wasn't even interviewed. (???)

I also believe theres more to Curt's departure from CJOB and his stint with the coyotes than we know about. You don't just name a broadcast booth after someone and the go out and fire him. Something fishy here I think.

I wish him all the best.

polarslam 09-13-2011 02:39 PM

I don't see why it's a shock Keilback isn't back.

He wasn't even the voice of the Jets when they left. That was Kelly Moore. He was let go by CJOB a year before. I have no idea the back story, but after being fired in Phoenix and being let go by CJOB he clearly got a rep with station management as someone they didn't want to employ for what ever reason. If you want to hear his voice call him up and get him to sell your house.

tbcwpg 09-13-2011 02:45 PM

Why waste time with an interview if he wasn't going to be considered? TNSE has shown reluctance to be tied into the past version of the Jets, and only took the name (in my opinion) due to the large public reaction to it. It's a different jersey, different name. Beyak is a proven voice on the play-by-play as well, and I think the Munz hire was to prepare for him to take over full time eventually. He's only doing the radio games that are not on tv nationally.

I don't think giving him a "pity interview" was really necessary.

Jet 09-13-2011 02:46 PM

I'm with the OP being upset that not only was CK not hired for the job, he wasn't even interviewed. Something happened that we don't know about. Maybe Keilback messed up somehow. We probably will never know.

Either way, what's done is done IMHO. Time to move on and support Munz.

cheswick 09-13-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbcwpg (Post 36668749)
Why waste time with an interview if he wasn't going to be considered? TNSE has shown reluctance to be tied into the past version of the Jets, and only took the name (in my opinion) due to the large public reaction to it. It's a different jersey, different name. Beyak is a proven voice on the play-by-play as well, and I think the Munz hire was to prepare for him to take over full time eventually. He's only doing the radio games that are not on tv nationally.

I don't think giving him a "pity interview" was really necessary.

Does TNSE have anything to do with who Bell/TSN hires as a play by play man?

razorsedge 09-13-2011 03:31 PM

I listened to the 3rd period of rookie game last night on 1290, which I'm going to assume are the same guys who will be doing all the Jets games this season. It was absolutely painful. There were so many times they would stray away from the game and talk about nonsense while you can hear the sounds of the game going on in the background.

Maybe it was meant to be more of a casual broadcast or they assumed everybody was watching online, so I won't judge them yet. But if that continous throught out the season I'll just tune into the opposing teams broadcast instead.

No, I'm not a Curt Kielback supporter, I was just disapointed in what I listened to last night.

tbcwpg 09-13-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheswick (Post 36670005)
Does TNSE have anything to do with who Bell/TSN hires as a play by play man?

No but I'm sure they had some input.

Hollywood3 09-13-2011 04:12 PM

OK, I like Curt as well. However, what would you do when interviewing a guy for radio? IMO if I was doing the hiring I would listen to old tapes for all candidates and pick the one I thought was best.

Yukon Joe 09-13-2011 04:13 PM

Count me in on the "don't just give him a pity interview". If they had little interest in CK, then there's no use in putting him through an interview.

trebendan 09-13-2011 04:21 PM

Could he still be hired on by HNIC to broadcast on those Saturdays where there's 5 games to be televised, like Oct 15th or 29th, etc.?

OthmarAmmann 09-13-2011 04:48 PM

Jesus. Some people are going to **** if they don't hit the ice to Van Halen too.

dkehler 09-13-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OthmarAmmann (Post 36671949)
Jesus. Some people are going to **** if they don't hit the ice to Van Halen too.

And you will be there to comment on that fact as well. :shakehead

Fans complain. That's what they do. No amount of "commenting" on it is going to change it. I don't agree with all of the complaints either, but my goodness, you don't need to continually point this out.

Noeller 09-13-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OthmarAmmann (Post 36671949)

This. Oi vey, indeed. :help:

To the poster who said "You listen to old tapes and find out who's the best..." No, that would be counter productive, 'cause who cares what he USED to sound like. The point is, what does he sound like now? So what they do is ask for NEW demos. Some of the most recent material available. The honest truth of the matter is that the guy who's working in real estate and calling MJ games on NCI, isn't going to get a shot when compared to the guy that has been working with TNSE for the past several years, and the guy that Bell has had working for them in Toronto as the Leafs voice.

Sorry to all you folks that wanna remember 1993, but it's time to move on and they have got a great crew to call games this season. Munzie and Beyak will be excellent, and are only going to get better as the season goes along.

Hollywood3 09-13-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noeller (Post 36673093)
This. Oi vey, indeed. :help:

To the poster who said "You listen to old tapes and find out who's the best..." No, that would be counter productive, 'cause who cares what he USED to sound like. The point is, what does he sound like now? So what they do is ask for NEW demos. Some of the most recent material available. The honest truth of the matter is that the guy who's working in real estate and calling MJ games on NCI, isn't going to get a shot when compared to the guy that has been working with TNSE for the past several years, and the guy that Bell has had working for them in Toronto as the Leafs voice.

Sorry to all you folks that wanna remember 1993, but it's time to move on and they have got a great crew to call games this season. Munzie and Beyak will be excellent, and are only going to get better as the season goes along.

To be clear, "old tapes" would be last year's. Keilback did MJHL games (with Scott Taylor) and sounded like he did back in the day.

That said, I am very satisfied with Munz. I reckon they heard what he did last year and reached the same conclusion.

P.S. I hate the song "Jump" but I really want to hear it again when Donn Kirton bellows out "HERE COME THE JETS!" Please, newer Jets' fans, cut us Jets 1.0 fans some slack. It would be a very emotional moment for all of us. A memory to last a lifetime. After a bit they can play some more modern lame-*** crap if they want.

Guardian17 09-13-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebendan (Post 36671281)
Could he still be hired on by HNIC to broadcast on those Saturdays where there's 5 games to be televised, like Oct 15th or 29th, etc.?

He could, but, if HNIC really wanted him they could have hired him years ago.

Paradise 09-13-2011 08:49 PM

Let's hope Munz stays on the radio and never shows his face on TV.

sipowicz 09-13-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian17 (Post 36676567)
He could, but, if HNIC really wanted him they could have hired him years ago.

Here is some proof why Kurt is not on Hockey Night in Canada, Kielback couldn't even keep up with the play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qxNn6zDPLs

Jet 09-13-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sipowicz (Post 36680017)
Here is some proof why Kurt is not on Hockey Night in Canada, Kielback couldn't even keep up with the play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qxNn6zDPLs

As long as HNIC has Mark Lee calling games there is no way you can suggest that Kurt can't live up to their standards. Zero.

wpgsilver 09-13-2011 09:21 PM

I'm not upset that he didn't get a pity interview...
Why waste everyones time?
I really don't understand why people would have felt better if they wasted his time by pretending he had a shot.

EpochLink 09-13-2011 10:49 PM

Why? He's selling houses now, good for him.

dobiezeke* 09-13-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkehler (Post 36672403)
And you will be there to comment on that fact as well. :shakehead

Fans complain. That's what they do. No amount of "commenting" on it is going to change it. I don't agree with all of the complaints either, but my goodness, you don't need to continually point this out.

Yet you are pointing out the poster for his complaint - ironic.

New team, new colors, new direction. Enjoy it. Respect the history,,,don't live in it.

sipowicz 09-14-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 36680071)
As long as HNIC has Mark Lee calling games there is no way you can suggest that Kurt can't live up to their standards. Zero.

Can't disagree with you on that point! Mark Lee truly is horrible with an ego to boot!

broinwhyteridge 09-14-2011 08:03 AM

There's no reason to interview someone unless you think they have something to offer that you want to add. Bell/TSN doesn't have to justify to anyone who they interviewed.

Tdoe42 09-14-2011 09:42 AM

Apparently TSN asked about Munz and once they gave their blessing TN went ahead and hired him that's who they wanted and that's how they Operate and I don't question what they do!

pegcity 09-14-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdoe42 (Post 36689829)
Apparently TSN asked about Munz and once they gave their blessing TN went ahead and hired him that's who they wanted and that's how they Operate and I don't question what they do!

TNSE seems to have that hire from within policy which is too bad in this situation because Kurt is great.